• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Quality or Performance?

What setting do you use?

• Performance Mode, always gameplay over graphics

Votes: 81 54.4%
  • Quality Mode, I need that sweet eye candy

Votes: 36 24.2%
  • You only have 2 options? I play on PC

Votes: 27 18.1%
  • I'm stuck on last gen for now

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

KillaJamm

So after finally booting up the game myself today, I found myself doing a 180 on what setting I thought I would personally use on my Series X. After seeing all the reviews and tech analysis prior to release I though I would be nailed on to the quality mode, mainly because I didn't want to loose any graphical fidelity on what to me looked like one of the best looking games released to date. After literally 30 seconds of the intro I already noped the fuck out and wacked it on performance without hesitation, most likely due to not experiencing 30fps on racing game since the release of Horizon 4 back in 2018. Honestly I couldn't notice much difference when going between the modes except maybe more texture/asset pop in? I even attempted 30fps again but the difference between framerates is so much larger than the difference in image quality imo. So what do you guys think, which mode do you personally prefer?

Fake

Performance. As DF mention, the downgrade from Quality is not that severe, you still lost the native 4k, but using 4K via DRS is not a big lost.

Only tried quality on Xbox Series S yet and have nothing to complain about. Maybe i'll try performance later if something bothers me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You have to give your eyes time to adjust to 30 fps. A lot of people make the mistake of switching back and forth or noping the fuck out immediately. Give it 15 minutes and you wont even notice it.

Source: Played Miles, Ratchet and Cyberpunk at 30 fps after switching from 60 fps and sticking with it.

GHG

Gold Member
Quality with performance on PC.

giphy.gif

I really gave 30 fps a chance. It looks fucking gorgeous, especially when standing still. But with time I got annoyed with the blurry image and seemingly high input latency (made even worse by Dolby Vision). Switched to 60 fps and it was a night and day difference. The graphics are a bit worse but I don't care.

Dural

Started with Quality to see if I could deal with it and played for several hours that way. Wasn't having any problems getting first in races with higher difficulties but changed to performance due to what seemed like some hitches I'd notice during races. No issues with performance mode so far.

KillaJamm

You have to give your eyes time to adjust to 30 fps. A lot of people make the mistake of switching back and forth or noping the fuck out immediately. Give it 15 minutes and you wont even notice it.

Source: Played Miles, Ratchet and Cyberpunk at 30 fps after switching from 60 fps and sticking with it.
See now this I do agree with slighty. I played Ratchet on the 40fps fidelity mode going from 60fps, and also played most of Cyberpunk at 30fps, but I think it's not as cut and dry with a racing game. Everything is moving so fast it's just not the same experience, and especially when you want to perform better in online races as you have to take input lag into play.

Wizz-Art

I started the game on quality but I noped out of it in the opening/welcome race and restarted that shit in performance. After playing FH4 so long on the One X and XSX in 60FPS I couldn't go back. To me the trade off isn't much.

RaZoR No1

Tried both and for now I wills tay on Quality mode
Even if the downgrade in graphics fidelity in Performance is pretty low, I pefer the look of Quality mode.

As soon you get used to it, it feels and plays good too.

As soon I manage to remove the random stutters on PC, I will have both 😎

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
See now this I do agree with slighty. I played Ratchet on the 40fps fidelity mode going from 60fps, and also played most of Cyberpunk at 30fps, but I think it's not as cut and dry with a racing game. Everything is moving so fast it's just not the same experience, and especially when you want to perform better in online races as you have to take input lag into play.
I have been playing 30 fps racing games all my life. While the PS2 had some 60 fps racing games, most arcade games on PS3 and PS4 were 30 fps. Every motorstorm game. DriveClub. Every NFS game was 30 fps. Forza Horizon has been a 30 fps series. Ive never had any issues. If anything, the sense of speed in Driveclub is far better than in 60 fps racers like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport.

ErRor88

I tried both modes and at first, it was 60 FPS all the way. But then I adjusted my LG CX and it felt better. So now I'm playing in quality mode exclusively.

My setting: Put the console in 60 FPS mode and change the turning dead zone in Forza to 0. Then try the quality mode. IMO, this made the game feel a lot better.

Performance. Playing an arcade racing game at anything less than 60 FPS is just not as fun, too jarring and doesn't feel good no matter how good it looks period.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Put it on quality mode to start with to see how it goes, because PG have always made 30fps feel as good as it can possibly get, and they didn’t disappoint here. Perfect frame rate and looks much smoother than 30fps should in a racer.

Next time I restart the game it will start in Performance mode so will see it goes. I think I’ll stick to quality mode tbh as it’s mainly just a free roam relaxing game for me.

Also I can play on my co where it’s quality++ and performance ++ at the same time haha.

Last edited:
Quality absolutely fucking suck , 30 fps on a racing game is a sin , the only noticable downgrade of performance mode is some popin other than that performance mode is sex

BigLee74

XSX - performance mode. Tried quality but nah, the perceived input lag drove me nuts.

Not noticed any huge pop in yet, but I suspect that will come when I encounter the jungle.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I'm playing on performance mode but I've played all 7 versions now and it's good whatever you do, even on Xbox One S it's still a great game. My 5500XT is getting 60fps on High as well so it must be well optimized on PC.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
3080 and 5800x
Running on Ultra Preset. Averaging around 120-140 fps.

Extreme doesn't feel worth the drop to 90+ fps.

I realized since im not swinging the camera around in like a FPS or third person game the fps doesnt bother me as much...so ive been playing in quality. I don't like racing games that much...im playing it mostly for the spectacle and to imagine my fable character in it.

Ammogeddon

I thought I’d be 100% performance but I’ve been jumping between the two. Being a graphics whore and an fps snob is difficult you know.

TheMan

Series S

opted for performance first. Tried quality and it does look good, but going from 60 FPS to 30 sucks

buenoblue

I wonder what performance is gonna be like on my 2070 super Ryzen 3600. On horizon 4 and 3 I could do 4k 60 pretty much maxed. Hoping it's similar performance.

b0uncyfr0

Quality for now - I've tried 30 fps and its just too juddery on my CX.

I really would've liked a 40 fps mode though

SkylineRKR

Even on Series S, Performance all the way. The gameplay is brilliant and the higher framerate actually makes the game look better imo. Its less blurry. The game looks phenomenal. I am on a 55 CX and I do notice some pop in which is unfortunate, but I don't really notice the jaggies as much as I did see them in 4. You can play this game at 60fps on a sub 300 bucks machine, which is fairly awesome.

FH5 looks good on pretty much any system, and the 30fps actually felt fine when I did the prologue, but once I switched its nearly impossible to back.

Last edited:

Yams

Quality at first to experience the game world. Once I start doing time trials (rivals) I'll switch into performance and stay there.

KillaJamm

Yeah I just attempted my longest stint on Quality and I still can't get used to it, it does look beautiful but the fluidity of 60fps adds so much more.

Top Bottom