• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 records over 28 million players

Draugoth

Gold Member
It looks like Forza Horizon 5 on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S continues to be a huge success. According to what was shared by the well-known insider Klobrille, Forza Horizon 5 has already registered more than 28 million players, an impressive number and which reinforces being the biggest release of Xbox Game Studios.

The number is visible to all players through the Hall of Fame, which shows the players with the most points:

anthony2690

Banned
I think Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon are probably the biggest Xbox ips currently in terms of player engagement and player base.

Reactions: JLB
Great game and the studio has been hitting high notes for multiple releases now. Well deserved and I wish them continued success.

I really want to see Forza, SoT and Flight tech rolled into one game engine then an action TPS/FPS/lite-RPG studio build an open world game from that core. One can dream.

Ozriel

M$FT
Great game and the studio has been hitting high notes for multiple releases now. Well deserved and I wish them continued success.

I really want to see Forza, SoT and Flight tech rolled into one game engine then an action TPS/FPS/lite-RPG studio build an open world game from that core. One can dream.

Closest you'll get is Playground's Fable, running on Forza Tech

DaGwaphics

I think Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon are probably the biggest Xbox ips currently in terms of player engagement and player base.

In terms of the OG Xbox franchises, no question. The numbers speak for themselves, though Forza will probably still have its following too.

I would expect that Bethesda will have a chance to eclipse both with their premier content though.

Closest you'll get is Playground's Fable, running on Forza Tech

Super curious how the tech is modified and repurposed for Fable, it will be interesting to see if the peek trailers are "in-engine" window dressing or downgrades in reality when it releases. As the dev complexity, cost and times grow for making games we're going to see more off the shelf systems combined. Unreal are doing this sort of thing really well obviously, including content and marketplaces etc, but it appears MS/Xbox have a wealth of tech already and with acquisitions even more shared tech on the way.

When you consider a potentially solid execution with Fable you have to start to wonder what a GTA style game from Xbox could do, even with more tech rolled in from other studios. This is why I'd be curious with such solid engines and tech behind Forza Horizon, SoT and Flight what that could be in a single game. GTA-esque next gen springs to mind right away.

anthony2690

Banned
In terms of the OG Xbox franchises, no question. The numbers speak for themselves, though Forza will probably still have its following too.

I would expect that Bethesda will have a chance to eclipse both with their premier content though.
I'm really hoping Tokyo Ghostwire& Redfall do well on Xbox, I don't feel there seems to be much excitement online for either titles, but they are the two Bethesda games I'm most looking forward too currently :)

& I've been replaying hifirush on hard and think I'm enjoying the game even more in my second run through, whilst grabbing the spectra doors (give me a retail release) :D

DaGwaphics

I'm really hoping Tokyo Ghostwire& Redfall do well on Xbox, I don't feel there seems to be much excitement online for either titles, but they are the two Bethesda games I'm most looking forward too currently :)

& I've been replaying hifirush on hard and think I'm enjoying the game even more in my second run through, whilst grabbing the spectra doors (give me a retail release) :D

I was thinking more of Elder Scrolls and Starfield, I think both might easily move past 28m players. They might have done that easily enough on pure sales (over the course of time), let alone with GP in the mix. I'm looking forward to Redfall also though.

Last edited:
Bet they‘re counting me as well, played it for 10 mins before I realized there‘s just too much Ubisoftism in this game for my personal taste. But kudos to them.

anthony2690

Banned
I was thinking more of Elder Scrolls and Starfield, I think both might easily move past 28m. They might have done that easily enough on pure sales (over the course of time), let alone with GP in the mix. I'm looking forward to Redfall also though.
Oh I know Starfield is the big one, I'm really curious how that does tbh, obviously we will never really know besides steam estimates I imagine.

I'm quite surprised by how many people rather buy the game on steam than play the windows version though.

As I remember SOT did numbers on steam, despite being on game pass for years on windows store.

DaGwaphics

As I remember SOT did numbers on steam, despite being on game pass for years on windows store.

I'm cheap enough that I would live with it even on PC, but the hate for the Windows/Xbox store functionality is real. And some of it is warranted.

One big goof with GP on PC was tying the video game store to your primary Windows account and the Windows App store. The Xbox app should be completely freestanding, just like Steam, Epic and the rest. I had to install the old Xbox companion app just to be able to add a second login and get access to my GP sub. That's how screwed up that experience is at the moment.

goldenpp72

Honestly this is always such a useless metric, and it's tiresome that Microsoft only uses these numbers because they have nothing else to try and flaunt. Halo Infinite also had millions of players because all it required was turning the game on once to be counted, which is clearly what most people did.

This isn't to take away from Horizon as the series is fantastic, but show me sales figures, or at least monetary figures, or something that is tangible. Back when Sony had a leak and people saw things like MKX were 'played' by like 50 million people (been awhile so correct the number if wrong), that showed how useless that figure can really be to people like us, when it sells only a fraction of that.

If Microsoft still had a Kinect hooked up to every box, they would likely find some way to measure how many people saw the screen while a game was being played and use that number too, I really would prefer they at least share real data with us as well, as this stuff is more catered to like.. Shareholders or something.

Last edited:
Honestly this is always such a useless metric, and it's tiresome that Microsoft only uses these numbers because they have nothing else to try and flaunt. Halo Infinite also had millions of players because all it required was turning the game on once to be counted, which is clearly what most people did.

This isn't to take away from Horizon as the series is fantastic, but show me sales figures, or at least monetary figures, or something that is tangible. Back when Sony had a leak and people saw things like MKX were 'played' by like 50 million people (been awhile so correct the number if wrong), that showed how useless that figure can really be to people like us, when it sells only a fraction of that.

If Microsoft still had a Kinect hooked up to every box, they would likely find some way to measure how many people saw the screen while a game was being played and use that number too, I really would prefer they at least share real data with us as well, as this stuff is more catered to like.. Shareholders or something.

Got you, you cannot just take a game being good and played a lot you need some corpo metric to valid your opinion on a game. Thanks for the chuckle.

goldenpp72

Got you, you cannot just take a game being good and played a lot you need some corpo metric to valid your opinion on a game. Thanks for the chuckle.

I'm saying it reeks of 'I'm losing but here is a way to make it look good' and this can be proven pretty easily considering they started doing this method when they started to lose the other way. I don't care if the game sells 5 billion copies, I own it btw, and a Series X, so come off it. I own something like 1200 games across the 3 Xbox consoles, a person can be console neutral and still call out weird stuff like this, how come every other company reports unit sales, etc as well?

Last edited:
I'm saying it reeks of 'I'm losing but here is a way to make it look good' and this can be proven pretty easily. I don't care if the game sells 5 billion copies, I own it btw, and a Series X, so come off it.

I didn't say anything about your preferred gaming device. I don't need to come off anything. Seems your love of sales charts is what you need to come off.

goldenpp72

I didn't say anything about your preferred gaming device. I don't need to come off anything. Seems your love of sales charts is what you need to come off.

So my love of sales charts must be stopped, but loving... Player quantities, is what I should be excited for instead?

I sure hope Nintendo releases that over 150 million people have turned on Super Smash Bros. soon then. Sales, economics, etc impacts the business and thus the hobby, they are the only valuable metric to a consumer because at least it allows you some comparison for the general health of the thing you enjoy. Showing me 100 million people 'saw' God of War doesn't do much to help me gauge how well it's doing, just tell me how it sold so I can see how it did in contrast, then I can see if it's good or bad news, this tells me nothing outside of the fact some amount of people turned the game on with no required investment. It's a lot like reporting how many people watched a new show while never reporting how many people kept watching it, that matters.

Last edited:
Next FH5 expansion reveal is on THU, more players inbound -

I'd laugh and still play a Forza Karts expansion. Bring on some homebrew and crazy shit like Wreckfest into Forza.

Last edited:
Top Bottom