• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 - Review thread

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Day -4 if you pay more. I don't like that practice at all. I hope it doesn't mean more XGS games will do that like Starfield and Avowed.
Its for premium owners only, not a bad thing. This have always had the same release day but brought it forward for the ones who bought the most expensive version. The release date hasn’t changed for standard buyers or game pass. I like the idea of this perk if you go all in with the Most expensive version. I will be playing it next week with everybody else though

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Really looking forward to playing this, love just discovering the roads to begin with and that can just take hours by itself and then looking for the bonus boards and that even befor starting the campaign properly to

Wizz-Art

I’ll be playing on Game Pass but want all the extras. Will the premium add on bundle work alongside the Game Pass version of the game?
Yes, that's why the add-on bundle is even made available. For Game Pass subscribers who wan't the extra stuff besides the game itself which will be on Game Pass.

So, 10$ Game Pass and $45 Premium add-on bundle = $55 which is still insane because it gives you early acces, two future expansions, car pass with weekly new car releases and VIP which give you some extra in game perks.

Or you could get the Forza Horizon Premium Edition for $100, that's what I did despite having a Game Pass Ultimate subscription. Forza Horizon is always worth it IMO.

Last edited:

Ellery

Good reviews.

Sadly I don't have a proper GPU right now and while I would love to cruise around a bit in Forza I am not going to pay excessive prices for a GPU.

If I get lucky in the next few weeks I will buy sub to gamepass as soon as I have a GPU and get in that Porsche 911.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Here is a compreehensive review list:

3DNews - Алексей Лихачев - Russian - 9 / 10

A great improvement over last entry in the series. As usual, it's hard not to immerse yourself in Forza Horizon for days, weeks or even months.
ACG - Jeremy Penter - Buy

"One of the best racers, and easily the best open-world racer made. Beauty, content, and fun-factor combine to make this a classic."
Ars Technica - Sam Machkovech - Unscored

FH5 is an easy recommendation as part of a paid Xbox Game Pass subscription, and it's a great excuse to flex your newest gaming hardware purchase. But if you're already happy with Forza Horizon 4 or were bored by that one, take your sweet time sitting behind this game's wheel.
Attack of the Fanboy - C.J. Keller - 4.5 / 5 stars

Forza Horizon 5 is ultimately a game in the franchise that continues to evolve in a more and more enjoyable direction, even if there is a core to the game that feels very familiar.
AusGamers - Kosta Andreadis - 9 / 10

Ultimately, the Forza Horizon series has always been about positivity, and an unabashed love for the singular thing that is driving. Infectiously so, which makes Forza Horizon 5 the most polished entry, in terms of overall structure and presentation, to date.
CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 8.5 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 truly has it all for a racing title, depth of gameplay, customization, good online presence, fun activities… and the list goes on. With the inclusion of Horizon 5 hitting GamePass day one, I consider this a must play for all gamers, racing fans or not.
Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 9 / 10

How you can read out of our review, there is not much to criticize and lots to marvel at, in Forza Horizon 5. The menu is still a bit confusing but better as in the last game. In the PC Version you have to install the game on a SSD to get away from horrendous loading times but if you enjoyed the last games of the series or arcade racing in general you'll love this one.
Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Forza Horizon 5 is the biggest and best game in the series, moving players to the stunning landscapes of Mexico with limitless fun and adventures.
Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5 stars

Forza Horizon 5 doubles down on the series' winning formula to give players another hit racing game superpowered by next-gen tech.
EGM - Josh Harmon - 8 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 delivers everything that made the last game enjoyable on a map that's more fun to drive with a lot more visual diversity. While the changes and additions are largely incremental-especially when it comes to the core game experience-what's here is good enough to warrant a recommendation for fans of the series or racing enthusiasts who've been meaning to try it out.
Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Unscored

With new exotic destiny, a new energetic playlist and new roads untravelled, Forza Horizon 5 is the ultimate fantasy for car lovers.
Eurogamer - Oli Welsh - Recommended

Playground Games delivers yet another gorgeous and enveloping pocket holiday, smartly restructured but reassuringly unchanged.
Everyeye.it - Giuseppe Carrabba - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is the pinnacle of the Playground Games series and is the new king of open-world courses.
Gadgets 360 - Akhil Arora - 9 / 10

Playground Games can offer up an iterative experience and rake in the money, because Forza Horizon 5 is in a world of its own. It's wonderful, but it's also sad.
Game Informer - Brian Shea - 9.5 / 10

With fine-tuned gameplay, an undeniably gorgeous world brimming with fun activities, and some fun content creation tools, Forza Horizon 5 elevates the series' already-sterling reputation
Game Rant - Cameron Corliss - 4.5 / 5 stars

Forza Horizon 5 doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it is a wonderful technical showcase for the Xbox Series X nonetheless.
Game Revolution - Paul Tamburro - 9.5 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is the best Forza yet and, not only that, but it also makes a strong case for being the best racing game period. A joyous combo of arcade racing and simulation-level depth, all wrapped up in a beautiful bow thanks to its diverse, expansive Mexico setting, this is an unmissable iteration in what is arguably gaming’s most consistently fantastic series.
GameMAG - Евгений Иванцов - Russian - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is probably the best arcade racing game of recent times, and one of the most prominent releases from this year. Even if cars is not your thing, there is plenty to love in this new Microsoft exclusive.
GameOnAUS - Chris Inglis - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 doesn’t veer too far from the tried and tested open-world racing formula of the series, only now we get to explore the biggest land expanse in the franchise utilising the power of Xbox Series X/S.
GamePro - Dennis Michel - German - 89 / 100

Forza Horizon remains the king of arcade racing games, which captivates to the Xbox thanks to a lot of driving fun, great optics, but also a lot of the well-known.
GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

There may not be much new in Forza Horizon 5 beyond its location, but that doesn’t stop it from being yet another action-packed, adrenaline-fuelled open world racing extravaganza. This is the biggest and best entry in the Forza Horizon series yet; it’s just lacking that spark of originality that has made each entry prior a clear step up from the one before it. But for the huge majority of players, that really won’t be an issue.
GameSpot - Alessandro Barbosa - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 continues the upward trend of the franchise, providing an open-world racing experience that stands unrivaled.
Gameblog - Dopamine - French - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 represents the quintessence of the series. It remains well entrenched on the foundations of Horizon, guarding annoying aspects for some (including the overplayed tone of all the voiceovers), but only raises everything that has already made the salt of the four opuses that preceded it. Beautiful to bring down the bumpers, refined to fart a hose, it is a very beautiful baby. It's (very) well on its way to being a system seller in the Xbox ecosystem and I wouldn't be surprised if bundles arrive very quickly for the end of the year.
Gamerheadquarters - Jason Stettner - 10 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is the continued perfection of open world racing, delivering a more narrative focused experience while aiming to greatly expand the scope of this pristine franchise.
Gamersky - 前朝刘沛公 - Chinese - 9.8 / 10

Here, speed and limit are the same, wildness and freedom coexist, all the time people adrenaline soar.
GamesBeat - Mike Minotti - 4 / 5 stars

When it comes to past Forza Horizon games, I tend to bounce off them rather quickly. But I’ve been sticking around with this one. Yes, it is just that darn pretty. Its beauty encourages me to spend a longer time in Mexico, during which I eventually become a better Forza racer (even if I feel like the game could be doing more to help me learn).
GamesRadar+ - Heather Wald - 5 / 5 stars

Forza Horizon 5 is a stunning and beautifully crafted entry in the series that's full of memorable races, creativity, and fantastic additions
GamingBolt - Shubhankar Parijat - 10 / 10

Playground Games has been honing this open world racing formula for close to a decade at this point, making meaningful improvements with each iteration- and with Forza Horizon 5, once again, the series has touched new heights. As impossible it may seem in the moment that it will be surpassed, however, if history has taught us anything, it’s that this is a series that never stops improving.
GamingTrend - Anthony Shelton - 90 / 100

A lot of Forza Horizon 5 feels similar to Forza Horizon 4 in a way previous Horizon games haven't felt with their prequels, but Adventures bring unique storytelling and slight edutainment to the Horizon formula and if more Horizon's are in the future, particularly ones not in Europe and America, it's not a bad foundation to build on. Driving feels as good as it ever has and Playground Games absolutely succeeded in interpreting the beauty of Mexico. The seasonal model returns and it does a better job of incentivizing people to group up, but it's still not quite enough to entice people to do activities like Forza Arcade.
Generación Xbox - Pedro del Pozo - Spanish - 10 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 match a perfect score with an absolutely perfect game. If you love driving, don't even think about anything else. Play it. Playground Games nailed it.
Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is a familiar playground. If you have played any of the past games you’ll feel right at home here. The general gameplay doesn’t do much to set itself apart from other Horizon games but I don’t think it needs to. The recipe works and right now, there’s really no other game out there that can compete with this. It is the best racer on the market and with no one coming for that crown, Playground Games don’t need to do anything to change that.
God is a Geek - Chris White - 10 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is a visual spectacle and a masterpiece, providing plenty to do and tons of fun to be had around ever corner.
Guardian - Keza MacDonald - 4 / 5 stars

Take a supercar for a beach challenge or drive into the Mexican jungle in this racing game that's exactly as fun as its last version
Hardcore Gamer - Cory Wells - 4.5 / 5

Forza Horizon 5 is undoubtedly a visual showcase and technical benchmark for PC and Xbox Series X owners.
IGN - Luke Reilly - 10 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is the result of a racing studio at the peak of its craft and the best open-world racing game available.
INVEN - Seungjin Kang - Korean - 9.3 / 10

There is no significant change. But Forza Horizon 5 once again proved why the Forza series is the best open world racing game.
Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 9 / 10

The best in the series so far, that embraces the open world approach in a way previous entries never quite did – while also being an endlessly enjoyable and highly varied arcade racer.
MondoXbox - Davide Mapelli - Italian - 10 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is a true masterpiece. The new Mexican setting brings in wonderful landscapes, alongside a majestic implementation of the whole graphic compartment. And the contents offered are no less, with a mountain of modes suitable for both those who prefer the single player experience and those who love co-op or competitive ones. A sumptuous work and a true statement of love to the racing games genre in general.
New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 83 / 100

Forza Horizon 5 offers plenty to do and see in Mexico, though much of it is becoming rather familiar. The latest entry doesn't have as much impact or innovation as each of its predecessors did, but it remains the most enjoyable and customizable arcade racer around.
PC Gamer - Phil Savage - 90 / 100

Playground's singular series gets a lush new setting, but otherwise remains committed to tuning an already winning formula. But even a marginal improvement on the best racing series around is worth celebrating.
PCMag - Jeffrey L. Wilson - 4.5 / 5 stars

With Forza Horizon 5, the racing series makes its first stop in Mexico. It delivers breathtaking vistas, fast action, and the hook: the new EventLab mode that lets the community create cool, custom challenges.
PPE.pl - Wojciech Gruszczyk - Polish - 10 / 10

"Forza Horizon 5 is a hit" – at this point I could end my summary, but it is worth emphasizing that Playground Games offers brilliant races that delight. This is a production that confirms that years of systematic work have not been in vain.
Polygon - Owen Good - Unscored

Even now, though, I can feel myself tightening up in my shoulders and chest thinking about everything in Forza Horizon 5, and the difference between everything I have — with a V sound — and everything I have — F sound — to do. It’s the difference between opportunities and obligations. The only area in which Forza Horizon 5 stumbles is when it gives me so much of the former that they become the latter.
PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 9.8 / 10

You may never stop playing Forza Horizon 5. And you won't want to.
Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 9.5 / 10

Though it's iterative in a lot of ways, Forza Horizon 5 is a near-faultless open-world racing experience that's so sure of itself and its offerings that it goes the extra mile to sprinkle in the kinds of fan service that people go wild for.
Pure Xbox - Liam Doolan - 8 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is an amazing game, don’t get us wrong – if you’re a newcomer to the series you’ll likely have a blast, assuming you like car games. Returning fans though can expect a similar experience to past entries. For some, that’s where driver fatigue may very well set in. After five games, at this point, you could argue the series is no longer doing enough to protect its crown as the top open-world racer. It’s the same process of going to a festival, unlocking cars, racing a lot, levelling up and repeating the whole cycle. And the new additions - such as the EventLab - are more reliant on community efforts. It is mostly a flawless experience, but the lack of evolution is how other franchises like Need for Speed fell behind in the first place.
SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 9.5 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is probably the best arcade racing game ever made.
Saving Content - Scott Ellison II - 5 / 5 stars

Mexico is an incredible location for the fictional Horizon Festival, and really refreshing. Whether it’s the thrill of the race, tools for encouraging creativity, or uninhibited exploration, there’s something for everyone to do and participate in this evolving open-world. While the core formula is unchanged over the years and it’s a lot more of the same – the same is really good. This is a multiplayer game where you can choose to engage with all or none of its systems at any time. Forza Horizon 5 is an outstanding achievement of gameplay and visuals, and is an exquisite open-world racer for the next-generation.
Screen Rant - Scott Baird - 4.5 / 5 stars

Forza Horizon 5 is one of the best entries in the series to date, thanks to its massive and beautiful open world, which is full of exciting races.
Seasoned Gaming - Ainsley Bowden - 10 / 10

At this point in time, this is the pinnacle, and it’s clearly the culmination of years of work and iteration. I say with absolute confidence: Forza Horizon 5 is the most complete racing game ever made.
Shacknews - Chris Jarrard - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is big, loud, and bold. If you found little value in the series before now, this new version will do nothing to change your mind. For the rest of us, the best Xbox game of 2021 is here (at least for another month - there’s still an elephant wearing Spartan armor in the room). The concept of the pack-in game is pretty much dead in 2021, but if it weren’t, Microsoft should be tripping over itself to make the Series X Forza Bundle a reality. We live in the era of Game Pass now, so plenty of folks have the ability to visit Mexico at discount rates. I desperately implore you to take the trip.
SomosXbox - Fran San Nicolás - Spanish - 9.8 / 10

‎Forza Horizon 5 is the leap to the next generation of Xbox. Playground Games has been able to improve an almost unbeatable experience, with exquisite localization and gameplay, which manage to offer a level of immersion rarely seen before in the open world driving genre.‎
Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 9.2 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is an incredibile step forward for the series: with a plethora of brand new missions and challenges, and brilliant ideas to represent a colourful nation through eleven diverse biomes, Playground Games reaches new heights od shows the real face of the new generation of consoles.
Stevivor - Alice Clarke - 10 / 10

Overall, this is a Forza Horizon game in every sense of the word, and shows off the best of what Horizon can be. It’s fun, only structured if you want it to be, and seems to exist purely to make sure you have a good time.
TechRaptor - Paul Lombardo - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 is the greatest the open-world racing series has to offer.
The Games Machine - Stefano Calzati - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 turns "more of the same" into a mark of true excellence, furtherly polishing and improving on a winning formula and making it exponentially more spectacular on a technical level and more enveloping on an environmental level, and mixing it all with its distinctive driving model, a unique mix of a simulative superstructure with an arcade heart beating beneath the hood.
TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 9 / 10

Forza Horizon 5 continues the series' legacy, usurping Forza Horizon 4 as the new pinnacle of open-world racing and as a graphical showcase for the new generation of Xbox console.

GametimeUK

I would love to see Forza Horizon get GOTY. It's extremely difficult for a racing game to get one in today's world, but I've been playing the series since the third installment and it's been fantastic every time. Some games deserve to be called "quality". Forza Horizon is one of them.

MarkyG

Promising! I hope they revamped how parties work from Forza 4. The system on PC is horrid. Too convoluted to get a game with friends.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Reviewed by Luke Reilly on Xbox Series X. Also available on Xbox One and PC.

"Forza Horizon 5 is a deep and nuanced car nirvana for revheads and auto geeks to endlessly collect, tinker, and experiment. It’s also an extremely accessible buffet of racing spectacle open to everyone, from day one, Deluxe Edition diehards to Game Pass nomads – no matter their driving skill or mechanical knowledge. It’s an occasionally goofy but always earnest Valentine to Mexico’s world-famous culture, and a romantic ode to the magic of road-tripping through postcard-perfect vacation vistas. It’s a long haul, MMO-inspired racer that’s exploding with more races, activities, and event types than can comfortably fit on the map – and yet it still always feels relaxed rather than daunting. It never locks you into something you don’t want to do and steadily rewards you for however you choose to play it. It looks beautiful, it sounds magnificent, and it is glorious to play. Yes, Forza Horizon 5 is a lot of things. Above all, however, it is the result of a racing studio at the peak of its craft and the best open-world racing game I’ve ever played."

Javthusiast

Banned
dj khaled GIF

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Had to do a little man whoring to come up with the $150 bucks here in NZ for the premium edition. Small anal sacrifice for a bigger pay off. No big deal and nothing a little antiseptic cream can't fix.

So when can I actually play this fucking thing? I opened my Xbox app and can't launch the game.
In like an half an hour. 12:00 am your time

I always enjoy Luke Reilly's reviews (ign au). His enthusiasm for cars make reading/listening to him a pleasure. His hot wheels review was also brill.

dcmk7

Banned

Guess that makes them biased here, but they are damn right.
Nah I don't think they are being biased.

The headline is just click-baiting, they meant for Series consoles by looks of things.

The game is out on November 9, just one day before the Xbox Series X and S reach their first anniversary. We can think of no better birthday present than this, the first truly essential game that everyone who owns either platform simply needs to play.

Article has me pumped - sounds incredible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom