• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Coming in 2023 | New Details Revealed

CGNoire

Its impossible to have those reflections in ssr without artefacts and with right angle. The mirrors are accuratly reflected even on the ai car. And the mirror reflections are accuratly reflecting the car body.

Oh also the game developer said it like 100 times by now šŸ˜‰
Ok I zoomed in some more I see it now. Yeah looks RT. Do we know if these shots are PC or Series X?

GenericUser

Very interested in impressions with a wheel setup. Still can't figure out why MS hasn't bought Kunos Simulazione. Their physics engine wrapped up in these visuals would be a masterclass of a racing game.
Forza is not excactly a sim. It's a simcade, just like gran turismo. It strikes the right balance between simulation and fun. Thats why I like it. I'm looking forward to get more information about the campaign mode and how tuning works in the new game. I hope it comes out in the first half. Late 2023 would be a bummer.

I gotta say those dirt effects look fantastic. We need better destruction though.
yeah that looks so cool. FM7 already had that, but it seems like they took it to the next level.

Last edited:

GenericUser

That's what I was hoping to learn yesterday and I was so disappointed. Just tell us what will be the campaign structure. All I want is an evolution of FM4 formula. Car collection game where you start from the bottom. Is it too much to ask?
I think I heard that there will be some additional streams in the next days where they explain more about the actual game. The big trailers at the conferences usually focus on the graphics because that what fans and console warriors want to see. Nobody gives a shit about ray traced reflection on your rims when they drive 120mph.

Last edited:

l2ounD

Yeah thats an interesting fov for those mirros to be useless. But also I hope they have improved on their arm animations.

Mirrors finally work as mirrors should. I hope there's a way to adjust them. There must be one, right?

wg8Ogx0.png

Riky

$MSFT
That's what I was hoping to learn yesterday and I was so disappointed. Just tell us what will be the campaign structure. All I want is an evolution of FM4 formula. Car collection game where you start from the bottom. Is it too much to ask?

Forza Monthly is tonight.

reksveks

But sometimes there is not a huge amount of new info in these but in case you want to live in hope.

Friendly reminder that there is alot of talking and alot of stuff around the social community around Forza so that may not be of interest for you.

There is a FH5 stream afterwards which seems rather unique.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
You're talking too much truth Lol yeah I thought with a new engine and being "from the ground up" that we'd see a much bigger difference
Exactly. I was going to say "wonder what Polyphony will come up with when they're not constrained by last gen" but then I realized we probably won't see a proper next-gen Gran Turismo until like the very end of the generation or even as a cross-gen (PS5->PS6) launch-ish title.

I say that because there was a 3 year gap between GT5 and GT6, a 4 year gap between GT6 and GT Sport, and then a 5 year gap between GT Sport and GT7... so if we assume 5 years again then we're at 2027. Up until the PS4 generation, Polyphony was cranking out two titles per generation but I'm not sure we should expect the same anymore.

LostDonkey

Forza is not excactly a sim. It's a simcade, just like gran turismo. It strikes the right balance between simulation and fun. Thats why I like it. I'm looking forward to get more information about the campaign mode and how tuning works in the new game. I hope it comes out in the first half. Late 2023 would be a bummer.

yeah that looks so cool. FM7 already had that, but it seems like they took it to the next level.

Yes but if they ever wanted to tackle the hardcore SIM market, imagine AC's physics with Forzas new visuals

Drool

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Exactly. I was going to say "wonder what Polyphony will come up with when they're not constrained by last gen" but then I realized we probably won't see a proper next-gen Gran Turismo until like the very end of the generation or even as a cross-gen (PS5->PS6) launch-ish title.

I say that because there was a 3 year gap between GT5 and GT6, a 4 year gap between GT6 and GT Sport, and then a 5 year gap between GT Sport and GT7... so if we assume 5 years again then we're at 2027. Up until the PS4 generation, Polyphony was cranking out two titles per generation but I'm not sure we should expect the same anymore.
Yeah it will probably be a while before we see Gran Turismo 8 but I think it will be a much bigger leap

sinnergy

šŸ”„ This is the perfect example of lighting being the most important aspect of visuals
Yeah we should drive in cubes but with all the RT lighting tricks on šŸ¤£ would be awesome ! Forza (Game) cube edition ! Best lighting ever! But the cars are cubes , only 6 polygons, you can render 1000s of cars in the view that way !

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Honestly, I thought it was gonna blow GT7 away. But so far it's been a nice improvement on some areas and it's worse on others, even though GT7 needs to run at 60 on the old PS4.

The environments are the star of this show, easily, and not the cars unfortunately. Lightning is much better than older FM games too.

If the physics are greatly upgraded we will have a great racing game, can't even doubt their career mode will be good.
4k, raytracing and super stable 60 fps = just a ā€œnice improvementā€.
Aha.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah we should drive in cubes but with all the RT lighting tricks on šŸ¤£ would be awesome ! Forza (Game) cube edition ! Best lighting ever! But the cars are cubes , only 6 polygons, you can render 1000s of cars in the view that way !
Obviously you still need the other stuff but good lighting can make even less detail look good.

Look at that old Minecraft path traced video for reference šŸ‘

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That looks absolutely insane. Getting the Series S with Gamepass is really tempting me with this and Flight simulator....
Not sure about Forza, but do it for the Flight Sim (or buy it on PC, if you have good enough horse power)

zephiross

It looks good, not doubt in that , but I feel the oversaturated look they are going for since forever is really holding the graphics back, no matter how good the tech is. It looks toyish in my eyes.

Aside from that I'm really ecxited about the sound improvement and the physic model overhauling. I really hope they get the feel right for wheel users because Forzas have always been miles behind the competition in that regard.

Also I hope that they have added at least a second universal wing choice (but more woulnd't hurt) for cars other than the ONE we've had for over ten years and what ? 7 games horizon serie included. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

JLB

Banned

For a 40 mins long presentation sharing time with 4 other games, yes.
But I guess some of that will be addressed today

Last edited:
It looks good, not doubt in that , but I feel the oversaturated look they are going for since forever is really holding the graphics back, no matter how good the tech is. It looks toyish in my eyes.

Aside from that I'm really ecxited about the sound improvement and the physic model overhauling. I really hope they get the feel right for wheel users because Forzas have always been miles being the competition in that regard.

Also I hope that they have added at least a second universal wing choice (but more woulnd't hurt) for cars other than the ONE we've had for over ten years and what ? 7 games horizon serie included. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
To be honest, when the first trailer dropped back in 2020, the lighting looked accurate & natural. Now it looks too plasticy & saturated. Impressive environments and effects sure, but the car models still need work. Not sure about the car sounds since they sound near identical to Horizon 5 from what I noticed, which had some pretty decent car sounds but hasn't shied away from the vacuum cleaner like sounds that plagued Horizon 4 and were an even bigger issue with GT7. They have all that horsepower at their disposal, yet can't make a V10 sound like a V10. It's the same issue that has plagued racing games since the very beginning. Game looks great though.

skyfinch

Seems like Dan is now "GM of Forza" (not sure what that means) and Chris from the video has Dan's old job of Creative Director.

Anyway, watched the video from yesterday a few times now. I hope the angles, blur, and depth of field from some of these shots represent replays. They look fantastic and much better than Forza replays of the past.

I'm assuming the 100 new cars will have much higher detail than the cars some people are posting as rehashes from older games.

So basically 100 new cars and 20 environments "built from the ground up". I mean, doesn't sound like a lot for the 6 years since fm7, but add onto that new physics and trying to get everything to run at 4k 60fps with Ray tracing, weather and day/night cycles on every track, I can see why they had to make a few cuts. I'm ok with old models to boost the numbers, especially with new physics added to them.

Just need to see a full lap of any track, with cockpit view and a pit stop.

Darsxx82

Anyway, watched the video from yesterday a few times now. I hope the angles, blur, and depth of field from some of these shots represent replays. They look fantastic and much better than Forza replays of the past.
This.
ForzaMotorsport needs to improve replays a lot. It is a big mistake not to have some replays where you can highlight your graphic achievements. As you say, new angles, camera turns, DOF and blur as seen in yesterday's trailer...... Unfortunately, it is not usually transferred to the game replays later.

Another thing to improve (add rather) would be the animated boxes. After 6 years, T10 has had time to improve those aspects that I believe are essential to comply with the setting of the motor world.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
it looks nice, but, I canā€™t believe they tripled the development time just to makeā€¦another Forza Motorsport game.

Like, I was expecting *something* new, but, nope. Just same as the last one but more.

What did you expect? Did you want the new FM to be a cartoony platformer or something?

Car models,materials and interiors have always been a weak point in forza games and I see they still haven't fixed the issue.. atleast the tracks will look good šŸ˜† with 3D crowds.
nuIU1XS.jpg
Environments & the detailing of engine bays have been a strongsuit for Forza games, especially since the introduction of ForzaVista. Car models and interiors still need work & so do the vacuum cleaner sounds that have historically plagued the racing genre for generations.

NickFire

It's definitely gonna shine. And I won't be surprised if the vague release date means March 2023. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it would seem to make sense holding back the release date an extra day. They'd still have 1-2 months of lead time to promote it in ads, and Redfall would have had 24 hours of discussion as the next big game to release. Once people know Forza is about to hit GP I imagine it will dominate in terms of mind share. Guess we'll find out in about 32 minutes.

MCplayer

This.
ForzaMotorsport needs to improve replays a lot. It is a big mistake not to have some replays where you can highlight your graphic achievements. As you say, new angles, camera turns, DOF and blur as seen in yesterday's trailer...... Unfortunately, it is not usually transferred to the game replays later.

Another thing to improve (add rather) would be the animated boxes. After 6 years, T10 has had time to improve those aspects that I believe are essential to comply with the setting of the motor world.
lol I comented on the video about the replays. They better improve on that

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Just watched the Forza show they did today, and it sucked. Nothing new from yesterday. Don't waste your time. The only thing they did say, is that they will reveal more info "in the coming months". We might be a ways off from release?
There was 15 sec of new gameplay in there lol. Expected a little more tbh, but looks like the game is still a couple of months away.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It's definitely gonna shine. And I won't be surprised if the vague release date means March 2023. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but it would seem to make sense holding back the release date an extra day. They'd still have 1-2 months of lead time to promote it in ads, and Redfall would have had 24 hours of discussion as the next big game to release. Once people know Forza is about to hit GP I imagine it will dominate in terms of mind share. Guess we'll find out in about 32 minutes.
The way they discussed it today made it sound like its not going to be the end of the year at the earliest, alot of language like ā€œin the coming monthsā€ and ā€œthank you for letting us take the time we needā€ the reason they havent commited to a new window is because they dont know what that window is yet. And i guess they figured they could only get away with lying about a release date once (spring 2023 my ass). Microsoft needs to be more transparent with release dates. There was no reason to promise a spring release if they didnt think they could actually hit it. Same with starfield, why the fuck did they lie twice?! The first lie was November 22, the second lie was h1 23, for fuck sake IF YOU DONT THINK YOU CAN HIT A RELEASE WINDOW THEN DONT FUCKING ANNOUNCE IT.

Kvally

Banned
Same with starfield, why the fuck did they lie twice?! The first lie was November 22, the second lie was h1 23, for fuck sake IF YOU DONT THINK YOU CAN HIT A RELEASE WINDOW THEN DONT FUCKING ANNOUNCE IT.
When was there an announcement that Starfield is not longer H1 of 2023? I am not saying it is, but nothing has been said. In fact, if anything, it's been reinforced.

Top Bottom