• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Coming in 2023 | New Details Revealed

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and predicted a March 2023 release date this morning. I previously assumed the lack of games at the award show was a litigation strategy. Now I'm thinking that was a really bad assumption.

Second random thought. I'm pretty sure there was robust debate between which game would be better in 2021 and into 2022 (GT or Forza). Those discussions would probably have been different if everyone knew there would be a gap of 1.5 - 2 years between their launches, with one adding VR before the second even launched.

Third random thought. What exactly was MS planning for 1st party this generation before they bought Bethesda?
I think you are speaking what is not only true but a lot of us are feeling

I think if Forza was remotely close they would have told us in that Dev Direct show as telling me 2023 is not confidence inspiring

I LOVE my Xbox but these big games I am waiting for this Forza and Starfield have me concerned

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think you are speaking what is not only true but a lot of us are feeling

I think if Forza was remotely close they would have told us in that Dev Direct show as telling me 2023 is not confidence inspiring

I LOVE my Xbox but these big games I am waiting for this Forza and Starfield have me concerned
Both have already been delayed from the original 2022 release. they will definitely release by the end of the year.

Kvally

Banned
Same video from yesterday but with only the gameplay parts.

Go to the 20 second mark. There is a mouse pointer on the back of the Corvette under the left taillight.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I picked it up when it went down to $40 on PSN and boy, did I have fun with that game. It's so well done and polished; I found it really difficult to put it down. Exhibit A:

oFKxKZ5.jpg

And I'm not a car racing game fan, to be honest. For reference, I haven't purchased any NFS since Most Wanted, any Dirt game, any Crew game, any Forza game, any Forza Horizon game, etc.

GT7 is the goat! 🔥 You won't regret it.
This is me. I never care for sim racers but GT7 is special especially that cafe mode

Paul Rudd Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Haters gonna Hate. Turn 10 always delivers a quality game. Gamers in here whine because there is no release date while at the same time will complain that the industry keeps delivering broken and unfinished games. They can delay it until 2024, and I would be totally fine because I know Turn 10 will deliver a great game.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
🔥 This is the perfect example of lighting being the most important aspect of visuals
You would have to ensure the time of day is same to have any meaningful comparison.

I hope someone mods it on pc

That is 7 months old, so things can change. Only reason I'm suggesting that is because I thought the Forza guy stated there were RT features on track during races. It could also mean just RT shadows. I'm sure we will get a more current answer soon.

Last edited:
Honestly, I thought it was gonna blow GT7 away. But so far it's been a nice improvement on some areas and it's worse on others, even though GT7 needs to run at 60 on the old PS4.

The environments are the star of this show, easily, and not the cars unfortunately. Lightning is much better than older FM games too.

If the physics are greatly upgraded we will have a great racing game, can't even doubt their career mode will be good.
Umm, Forza Horizon 5 blows GT7 away.
To run a game at 4k/60 with Ray Tracing in game is just bananas.
Do you know how much extra processing power is required to add RT on a game?
There is a reason why PD and PG didn't have it, and why Turn 10 can. It's all to do with the new Forzatech engine.
It's using all of the XSX feature sets including Mesh Shaders, SFS, VRS etc.
The GT7 vs Forza thread is going to be amazing. Ready your ban engines mods.

Rac3r

Game looks just as good as GT7 but I realised one thing, we really have reached the point of deminishing returns. GT7 actually looks like GTS but in 4K with ray tracing, so even a few years back GTS looked great. But watching this gameplay and the replays, I see nothing better than in GT7 (besides damage model). Again, game looks great but when looking back at Forza 7, graphically only, I dont see THAT big of a jump. Now its all about small details which do matter but still, I thought Forza would steal the thunder of GT7, especially with the car amount. It does have slightly more cars but its not like before when GT had 350 and forza had 700.

The 500 number is about the only thing I've seen that's a win over GT7 so far; but its somewhat unimpressive when you take into account that many of the GT3 cars used in the trailer aren't even the updated versions. They also show off an old Mazda Roadster model, and a Saleen S7 that isn't even modeled correctly. The Mercedes 190E also looks extremely low quality. Maybe their next deep dive will be more impressive, but nothing they've shown so far has looked superior to GT7. The attention to detail isn't apparent at all. The track environments might look good but the motion blurring is so aggressive that it's hard to tell. They also only have 20 tracks at launch compared to 30+ in FM7 and GT7.

A lot of the features that I see real Forza Motorsport players (not casuals) pleading for were already in previous GT games (such as tire compounds, pit animations, fuel saving, proper FFB, etc); yet Turn 10 has hardly spoken about them. Also a lack of information about online play, which has been disastrous in past entries (poor matchmaking and dirty driving). Their damage model which everyone seems to be hyping up only encourages the ramfests in their online lobbies.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
FM7 looked great already when I played it on One X. Cant wait t see what this game looks like on Series X.

For racing games, I'm no gear head. So as long as it looks and plays good I'm happy. I dont do showroom/garage modes to inspect cars and dont care if Car X uses different bolts in real life or if Car Y's wheels have 6 spoke in Forza, but in reality it's 7.

I actually find it amazing when people say out of any racing games cars that racecar Car A or Car B sounds unrealistic. As if any of them have actually drove one or owns one in real life. Things sound different watching race videos than reality.

Sport is the best one. Yes I'm a heathen.

But seriously, after getting addicted to Sport mode I just can't race against the AI for an extended period of time in any racing game any more. Its just not the same and it's an area where the genre has really failed to innovate.

GT7 disappointed me because they didn't expand on Sport mode from Sport and in many ways it was a step back so it's the least played GT game for me by quite some distance. So now I exclusively play iracing and anything hosted by low fuel Motorsport (ACC and Rfactor 2).

Unless this Forza has made some big changes to the way online races are organised and wheel support then I most likely won't bother. The drivatar system is just bad.
You're one of the few people I've seen that's touched on this subject, and did so very well imo. It reflects my exact thoughts on a wider genre of games though.

Graphical and physics comparisons aside for a moment. It's an objective fact that GT Sport absolutely cleaned FM's clock when it comes to multiplayer. You don't have to look any further than Turn 10's reaction to know that they were shook, and yes... I'm aware of how cringe the word "shook" is.

Almost immediately after GT Sport came out, Turn 10 went silent for a couple of months, only to then announce that they would be taking the extra time to work on FM7, and particularly the multiplayer aspect of it. All those late game features such as track boundaries, penalties, and track marshal features were a direct result of them seeing just how lackluster their multiplayer was. Up until then, GT was basically a no show with multiplayer, so Forza always won on that front by default. That extra dev time spent on desperately trying to salvage the multiplayer on FM7 is why it's taken so long to get another proper FM. I'm sure there were some important lessons they learned from all that additional dev time that helped them with this game. (Chief among them is the overzealous banning of players for even the slightest infraction)

As to your point about it being impossible to go back though. While racing games aren't that way particularly for me, I definitely understand what you mean. Because for all the polish and storytelling that Sony's studios have perfected over the last decade. Almost all of it is entirely lost on me for that exact reason. I get the appeal of games like uncharted, tlou, god of war, etc.. but for the life of me, I simply can't spend any significant amount of time with those games anymore for the exact same reasons you brought up. Call it spoiled, narrow minded, or whatever you want. Going through the same repeated playthroughs with the AI doing the same mundane things over and over again just seems like a chore to me. It takes a singleplayer game of epic proportions the last example being Red Dead Redemption 2 to get me to play through the entire thing. Despite my repeated attempts, it seems my days with singleplayer games are largely over. Whatever that "it" factor is that makes human opponents superior to AI ones has it's hooks in me deep. My brother doesn't understand how I can play hours of a game like Hell let Loose or Call of Duty. He questions how is it that I don't tire of playing the same maps over and over, and fighting over the same checkpoints. All while playing his singleplayer games, sneaking up on the same NPC, snoozing at the same place, and hiding in the same bush.

I really wish I could get lost in all those singleplayer games and those crafted worlds the way I used to when I was younger. I'm not sure if online multiplayer has spoiled me or jaded me, but whatever it is I just can't be taken in the way I used to be.

Umm, Forza Horizon 5 blows GT7 away.
To run a game at 4k/60 with Ray Tracing in game is just bananas.
Do you know how much extra processing power is required to add RT on a game?
There is a reason why PD and PG didn't have it, and why Turn 10 can. It's all to do with the new Forzatech engine.
It's using all of the XSX feature sets including Mesh Shaders, SFS, VRS etc.
The GT7 vs Forza thread is going to be amazing. Ready your ban engines mods.

That's like...your opinion, man!

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Environments & the detailing of engine bays have been a strongsuit for Forza games, especially since the introduction of ForzaVista. Car models and interiors still need work & so do the vacuum cleaner sounds that have historically plagued the racing genre for generations.
In this particular image, I think the Forza Motorsport 4 looks the best. Especially look at the headlights. That's a massive downgrade for FM 2023.

CGNoire

From Turn 10:

"We’re building our materials and shaders from the ground up for a cutting-edge ray tracing experience"

"Forza Motorsport renders all these environments with real-time ray tracing on-track, which creates true-to-life reflections on all smooth mirror and flat glass surfaces. We also use ray traced global illumination to simulate how hundreds of thousands of light rays accumulate color as they bounce between surfaces."

https://forza.net/news/forza-motorsport-developer-direct
"On Track" = replay(not locked to vista)

Riky

$MSFT
"On Track" = replay(not locked to vista)

They've said several times that "on track" means in gameplay. They clarified it after the reveal last year.

"
Ray tracing is here. It’s on track and most importantly, it’s real-time gameplay,” he said during a live stream. “I really want to make that clear: when we say ‘on track’, it doesn’t mean it’s only in replays or it’s only in Photo Mode on track and we’re just being funny with words."

“We’re not trying to mislead you here. When you’re racing and when you are playing the game, ray tracing is on. We want to be really clear about that"

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Its clear to me that some of you never saw or played Forza Horizon 5 running on a high end pc. The level of detail is unmatched, the lighting is incredible and the world is the most dynamic open world in a racing game. I play the game maxed out at 4K with 90fps avg and it looks better than any other game you can name (i have played all of them on PC and PS5).

And those are all old screenshots before the RT and DLAA update

Here some direct gameplay shots (in HDR it looks even better)
51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

51657546826_53f783112b_o.jpg

51817190489_a11b0da9e1_o.jpg

51817558360_8e99920747_o.jpg

51816954303_34604dbca4_o.jpg

51816956823_b904e7d656_o.jpg

51817557985_55b736a665_o.jpg

51679340311_e3f508c4c8_o.jpg

51655977234_f8a8c9f4bb_o.jpg

51817562535_8630b5423c_o.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
They've said several times that "on track" means in gameplay. They clarified it after the reveal last year.

"
Ray tracing is here. It’s on track and most importantly, it’s real-time gameplay,” he said during a live stream. “I really want to make that clear: when we say ‘on track’, it doesn’t mean it’s only in replays or it’s only in Photo Mode on track and we’re just being funny with words."

“We’re not trying to mislead you here. When you’re racing and when you are playing the game, ray tracing is on. We want to be really clear about that"

They (marketing team) are so stupid. Just say during races and there won’t be any confusion.

Monad

Its clear to me that some of you never saw or played Forza Horizon 5 running on a high end pc. The level of detail is unmatched, the lighting is incredible and the world is the most dynamic open world in a racing game. I play the game maxed out at 4K with 90fps avg and it looks better than any other game you can name (i have played all of them on PC and PS5).

And those are all old screenshots before the RT and DLAA update

Here some direct gameplay shots (in HDR it looks even better)
51817558260_d4b7fb6419_o.jpg

51657546826_53f783112b_o.jpg

51817190489_a11b0da9e1_o.jpg

51817558360_8e99920747_o.jpg

51816954303_34604dbca4_o.jpg

51816956823_b904e7d656_o.jpg

51817557985_55b736a665_o.jpg

51679340311_e3f508c4c8_o.jpg

51655977234_f8a8c9f4bb_o.jpg

51817562535_8630b5423c_o.jpg

Yup, that's exactly how it sclaes on PC.

And of course, even better in motion with HDR activated.

Markio128

Oh My gOd! My tHinG tHat I hAd nO CreAtiVe iNput iN Is beTter thAn YoUr tHinG tHaT yOu hAd No cReAtIve iNpuT iN!!!!

fu middle finger GIF

Little Chicken

Gold Member
MS are just competing with themselves at this point.

The fact FH5 is holding up so well compared to FM is... surprising.

Last edited:

CGNoire

"

Link? since you quoted it.
Great if true 12TF is alot. I swear though they said gi wasnt gameplay for sure or maybe i heard that from DF.

Last edited:

oldergamer

People in this thread are twisting themselves into knots to find some negative for forza. Or claim gt7 is superior in some way. Its not working. You can convince yourselves all u want, but its not working.

The new forza looks great, has raytracing during gameplay and is coming this year in the 2nd half. No amount of forum spin is changing that.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Link? since you quoted it.
Great if true 12TF is alot. I swear though they said gi wasnt gameplay for sure or maybe i heard that from DF.

It's from the Forza Monthly after E3, DF did a breakdown and just said the replay RT is just higher quality.

It's not a case of "if true" he states it explicitly, it's in game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom