• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport Details From Director Livestream: Revamped Career, RT During Gameplay, Fully Dynamic ToD

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
james franco GIF

I really hope they don't go the Horizon route of time boxing a bunch of cars, but who am I kidding, this is the new way of AAA game development.

C2brixx

So have they released Xbox Series gameplay yet? Last time they just showed PC footage.
Would be nice to see how it measures up, but Its not like it matters from a purchase point of view since the game is a Play Anywhere game. Meaning one single purchase or Gamepass Ultimate gets you both versions of the game.

Hawk269

Giving Turns 10 history with 60fps how can there be any doubt FM will be 60fps also.
Those not familiar with Turn 10, 60 fps is like one their top priorities. They know that a racing sim/game needs to be 60fps and they design the game from the get go to hit that number. Turn 10 actually when it comes to 60fps has been one of the most consistent devs to be able hit that goal but hit it at a 100%.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Those not familiar with Turn 10, 60 fps is like one their top priorities. They know that a racing sim/game needs to be 60fps and they design the game from the get go to hit that number. Turn 10 actually when it comes to 60fps has been one of the most consistent devs to be able hit that goal but hit it at a 100%.

Yeah, it's weird that people are even bringing it up lol.

In the new DF Direct, Richard talked about it as well, says he's spoken to T10 and the way they operate is they stress the engine/game the most, i-e most # of cards on track with the heaviest weather, and begin optimizing for performance from there downward.

It's what they do.

"The announcement discussed a "connected and dynamic" world, with added depth enabled by the improved ForzaTech engine. That includes a 4K resolution target at 60 frames per second (FPS) on Xbox Series X, the best Xbox console on the market right now."
https://www.windowscentral.com/forza-motorsport-8

There you go.

Adding this to the OP, thanks !

Last edited:

Banned
In Horizon you can't use all the Car Pass DLC cars day one, Forza Horizon cars release in a staggered fashion, one car a week. It's kind of shitty.

yeah, that's the usual way to "spread out" content. they don't want andry period where nothing releases is my guess.
and they also releae free new cars each season, so I guess they are streched thin in general

sinnergy

It's really impressive the Xbox is able to achieve 60 FPS with those super high quality RT reflections. Hopefully on PC we get the option to enable the RTGI in gameplay.
It takes time to rebuild engines and take advantage of all those CUs and power .. it’s always mostly about costs and time.

Three

Has any Forza Motorsport game in recent history ran only at 30 FPS ?

Optimizing for rock solid frame rate has pretty much been T10's claim to fame over the years.
No but maybe this one will have a "fidelity" mode. Plus yes FM was initially 30fps.

Last edited:
I hope they bring back all of their original tracks, not just Maple Valley.
As someone also mentioned in this thread, a mode with raytracing turned off would be nice too.

This and GT have amazing original tracks, I don't know why they keep moving away from originals vs real.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
No but maybe this one will have a "fidelity" mode. Plus yes FM was initially 30fps.
I'm thinking maybe even 30fps RT reflection and gameplay at 60fps mode like how they used for some reflections on other Forza games. And even that would be impressive imo given how expensive RT is. But if that is the case I hope there's a option to turn off and use cube maps etc at 60fps

Riky

$MSFT

oldergamer

Great news, I wonder if they are using Tier 2 VRS, SFS or Mesh Shaders? Might explain the big performance leap.
If anyone is you can bet its turn 10. since they are using a new engine

The others would be id software or the coalition that make the best use of hardware features and often perform R&D type work or find ways to use features that other studios do not.

Last edited:
not sure what you mean by that?

BusierDonkey stated it. In Horizon you have seasons, and have to do a bunch of repetitive events in that two-week (or is it month-long?) period in order to get whatever new cars they've added. If you miss out on getting those cars, you have to wait until they decide to recycle them into the season order.

I'm just an old fart, games typically never did this sort of live-service, time-boxed content during my prime gaming years. But almost all games in the Triple A space do this nowadays because it keeps the players constantly engaged in their game by triggering FOMO in them. It's just a really shitty way to deliver a game IMO, but I know why devs and publishers do it.

C2brixx

I'd prefer if they always showed console footage first.
Yeah, I get that. I'm primarily a console gamer myself, but I don't think its deceiving to show their game in the best light with PC footage because you will have that version for "free" if you have the Xbox version. Now if the PC and Xbox version were separate purchases I would feel different about it, but I don't doubt the Series X version will be far off from what they show'd.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
"The announcement discussed a "connected and dynamic" world, with added depth enabled by the improved ForzaTech engine. That includes a 4K resolution target at 60 frames per second (FPS) on Xbox Series X, the best Xbox console on the market right now."
https://www.windowscentral.com/forza-motorsport-8
4k resolution target is dumb. Use reconstruction. Settle for 1440p. There is absolutely no need to hit a native pixel count here. I cant believe devs are still doing this in 2022.

Especially when they are unable to put RTGI in gamepla and have to settle for adding them to replay modes. By lowering resolution to 1440p, they wouldve been able to make the game look like it does in the replay mode. 1440p looks perfectly fine on 4k sets. Yes, it's not as sharp as native 4k, but Id rather have a higher visual fidelity than a sharper image. Or at least, offer it on PC on the xsx as a fidelity mode. If they have done the work to implement this in replay mode then it shouldnt be that hard.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
4k resolution target is dumb. Use reconstruction. Settle for 1440p. There is absolutely no need to hit a native pixel count here. I cant believe devs are still doing this in 2022.

Especially when they are unable to put RTGI in gamepla and have to settle for adding them to replay modes. By lowering resolution to 1440p, they wouldve been able to make the game look like it does in the replay mode. 1440p looks perfectly fine on 4k sets. Yes, it's not as sharp as native 4k, but Id rather have a higher visual fidelity than a sharper image. Or at least, offer it on PC on the xsx as a fidelity mode. If they have done the work to implement this in replay mode then it shouldnt be that hard.

I agree with you in principal but it would probably make this place explode lol.

Turn 10 are wizards with their tech.
Can't wait to see what the best looking racing game every created feels like when playing.

Amen. I'm not really big into sim racers but what they've shown is incredible.

A revamped career mode has my interest piqued.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Oh man all this reads so good. Sounds like T10 has really gone all in on this one. Seriously can't wait to see AND play this, especially with a revamped career mode. So sweet.

hlm666

Great so I guess F1 2021/22 isn't a racing game anymore, I'll just let dirt slide seeing it's only shadows but it is still technically RT on track.

GenericUser

So, what's different in the career mode? It only says "completely new carreer mode". No shit sherlock, I didn't expect you to copy paste the same events and structure from FM7. I hope the make it so, that you have to stick longer to a individual cars, upgrade and tune them a little bit, before jumping in a new car. Like GT.

Riky

$MSFT
"You’ve asked for deeper, more authentic multiplayer racing, and we set out to make that a reality. The new #ForzaMotorsport has a focus on growing skills and building communities by incorporating a race weekend-like structure with Open Practice, Qualifying and a Featured Race."

More good news from Turn 10.

"You’ve asked for deeper, more authentic multiplayer racing, and we set out to make that a reality. The new #ForzaMotorsport has a focus on growing skills and building communities by incorporating a race weekend-like structure with Open Practice, Qualifying and a Featured Race."

More good news from Turn 10.
This is my most anticipated Series X game along with Starfield and Hellblade 2. I'm sure H2 is going to be fantastic but who knows when it'll actually come out (2024 hopefully) and Starfield has many question marks like "how will the performance hold up; will it make its 2023 release; will the procedural stuff be any good?" but Forza 8 everything seems to be shaping up beautifully. It has the potential to correct all the mistakes I see with GT7. Actual next gen visuals with tracks that aren't ripped straight from their previous game and simply "remastered"? Probably. A better reward and mtx system? Yup

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I hope there’s a lot of original tracks.
In Forza or GT, they are my favourites.
Usually they are the most fun to play and the prettier ones.
Real circuit are important but they are in almost every game every time.
More original content please turn 10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom