• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport images from 2021 Xbox One playtest

DaGwaphics

Still saying series x and a only on Xbox. Com

I'm hoping for next-gen only just because that would allow them to build the engine with the new consoles as the base (say goodbye crap CPU). But, FH5 showed us what you can do with a cross-gen, so, I guess it isn't the end of the world.

If FH5 sold like gangbusters on X1, that might make them want to go back that way.

ZywyPL

Banned
So it's gonna be next-gen by name, cross-gen by tech... Unless this is some early prototype screenshots prior XSX release. Or maybe they're scaling bthe game down for older consoles. I don't know, it bad news anyway, my day is ruined.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Few developer comments on Era imply that they might have used XBO in 2021 just for some systems testing. Not that the game's now cross-gen after the new-gen only announcement.

1hsj4u.png

elliot5

Few developer comments on Era imply that they might have used XBO in 2021 just for some systems testing. Not that the game's now cross-gen after the new-gen only announcement.

1hsj4u.png
yeah it was apparently July 2021ish you know when there were like maybe a few million series consoles out there and of those users how many are Forza Insiders across various regions to do testing? probably not a lot

So basically it’s one of those “next gen/current gen” only games but can still run on an Xbox One/xbox one x with the right settings…Yeah that’s a slick lie. Only true next gen game i have played so far is the Matrix demo. Everything else can run on a PS4/Xbox One.

mortal

Gold Member

1hsj4u.png
So is this particular person confirmed to be working on the game or not?
Doesn't sound like a confirmation that it isn't cross-gen, but rather a comment on general practices within game production.

ew xb1? why?

i'll be playing it on PC but sucks it'll be held back by 9-10 year old hardware.
If it can run on the previous gen why not put it on there? Games specifically developed for next gen are coming. But putting games that can run on last gen only on next gen for the perception of “next gen exclusive” when the box isn’t your main selling point makes no sense.

CamHostage

Forza Horizon 5 runs on the old engine and is an update to Forza Horizon 4 tech. Forza Motorport is built on the new engine which is built with Series S|X in mind.

Yes, but even after the new engine is done, that doesn't necessarily mean the new tech will for sure be impossible to scale down to Xbox One (much less "port" it with a reimagined, pared-down version, which is always possible.)

There's no engine on the market yet that is impossible on past-gen devices; maybe that will come, but so far, scaling keeps up to a degree. (At least, until new driver sets and APIs come along with just have no business being ported down come out and truly sever the gens.) UE5 is just about the most advanced technology the public has seen, yet it runs just fine when kicked down to Mobile and Switch; you cannot use Lumen or Nanite with those platforms (although Nanite does work on PS4 and Xbox One, though in an experimental fashion that Epic does not recommend for consumer product projects,) but there are fallbacks and cutbacks which can be made once the project is built at its highest scale. Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is the most next-gen title we have, with advanced streaming use and graphical techniques inconceivable anywhere near level of quality on previous hardware... yet it uses the same general technology system as the cross-gen Spider-Man Miles Morales.

Maybe a game will come along with an engine that plants a flag in the ground as "Next Gen Only". Maybe it'll go the way it's going, where port-downs are possible but the old hardware isn't as popular anymore (already games are coming out PC and Switch but then PS5 and Xbox Series) and eventually the level of detail and sacrifice isn't worth the effort and compromises. For now, though, cross-gen does not mean that it's a lesser game on the bigger hardware, and it's still common practice because it's economical and because it's doable.

reksveks

Ah... so what you're saying is that Forza Motorsport is cross-gen, it's just not going to be released that way.

R4GtL6W.jpg
no, cause you dont know what the playtest compromised of. e.g.

a racing game where you could only simulate 1/2 cars on the xbox one, isn't much of a racing game so calling it a cross gen game is false.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Cross-gen will never die. Get used to it. It has 0 impact on making GT7 my most beloved gaming experience of the year.

I might disagree with you there, mate. I think it has an impact on GT7. It looks great, but you smell the stench of crossgen. Just beaten GT7, a great game but I would rather play a more casual racer like The Crew 2. Sim racing to me in closed doors feels a bit outdated to me now, and waiting for The Crew 2 update next July as I like intense body modifications and roaming around and having a variety of modes.

GT7 credit is too easy as well, not sure about those noobs and what are they whining about. Also AI is kinda easy to beat on Hard as well in most modes. I liked the grind for top cars on The Crew, GT7 you can buy a Bugatti after like 1 tournament (the final one), like 30-40min max and still have money to get plenty of other cars.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought this was confirmed to next next-gen only?
It was announced as such, things could have changed between last year and this.

But then again the pics are from last year and some dev folk are theorizing they just used it for systems testing and it doesn't necessarily mean the game will be cross gen.

We'll find out in 40 days.

Well considering it's using the Forzatech engine I wouldnt be surprised to see them testing it on a heap of different set ups including something akin to the Xbox One.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Hopefully it’s next gen only, I’d like to see how it compares to Horizon 5/GT7. I guess we’ll know soon enough though.

dcmk7

Banned
So wait it looks like Riky is wrong yet again? That guy has some track record :messenger_grinning_smiling:

One advantage MS have is cross gen is over for them, they are not clinging on to last gen. Forza Motorsport is going to be the first real next gen racing game.

Would be nice seeing a next gen racer. Last gen consoles need to be ditched.

Kuranghi

What's an actual good price for a One S?

In my work they have an old one they found in the warehouse they're trying to sell on clearance for 250 quid and everytime I see it I think how you can get a Series S for not much more

nemiroff

Gold Member
So wait it is a cross gen game?

It is if your narrative definition of "cross gen" makes it so. From my shallow understanding it's strategically not a cross gen game. But when the platforms and dev tools are generally appear similar, there's no magical hard line in development between generation that can't be relatively easily changed by a professional dev team for testing. The engine, ForzaTech, and the platforms these games are running on is cross-gen by nature so-to-speak. That's why this discussion is easily weaponized.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I still don't fully understand what people think a next gen only racing game could bring to the table that a cross gen one can't...
I will try to explain. It has nothing do to about graphics.
Fans of brand A crap on a game from brand B because is cross-gen. Brand A releases cross-gen game, fans of brand B laugh and crap on it.

It is like the universe is trying to teach them all a lesson but nobody understands it.
R5lHngl.jpg

MonarchJT

Banned
I will try to explain. It has nothing do to about graphics.
Fans of brand A crap on a game from brand B because is cross-gen. Brand A releases cross-gen game, fans of brand B laugh and crap on it.

It is like the universe is trying to teach them all a lesson but nobody understands it.
R5lHngl.jpg
what we personally would like almost always differs from what happens in reality) i save this post for how the universe teach things

Top Bottom