• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport images from 2021 Xbox One playtest

Even if cross-gen, the concern shown here is very strange.

FH5 was cross-gen, is one of the best looking new-gen released games out yet and had a much improved physics and handling system, and a much bigger map. It was also the highest rated Xbox game of 2021.

I fail to see why Forza Motorsport can’t achieve the same goals compared to FH5 considering Playground and Turn 10 share technology.

Is there anything to say that they haven’t built it towards Series X/S then scaled it down for Xbox One?

ZywyPL

Banned
I still don't fully understand what people think a next gen only racing game could bring to the table that a cross gen one can't...

For starters better physics and AI, as Jaguar CPU can handle only so much. Mesh Shading to seriously boost the overall geometry, not just on cars but also tracks, audience etc. RT usage. There's a lot of stuff the racing genre could benefit from being next-gen only, especially on the CPU side.

Zeroing

Banned
what we personally would like almost always differs from what happens in reality) i save this post for how the universe teach things
That had nothing do to with what I just wrote.
You can save it all you want. Read it time to time before posting anything. Maybe this is a way of the universe teaching you something. Who knows?

Ozriel

M$FT
OP suggests there is/was a Xbox One build albeit based on a rumour/leak. Thread title is also quite to the point.

There's no credible or verified leak that the game is planned for release on Xbox One. None at all.

The thread is about playtesting on Xbox One consoles last year. Since we don't know the scope of what was being playtested and the reasons for the xbox one choice are likely stock related, we cannot say with any degree of certainty that the game is coming to last gen consoles.

The only certain news we know is that Microsoft said (in 2020) it's current gen only. We'll know for sure by June.

MonarchJT

Banned
That had nothing do to with what I just wrote.
You can save it all you want. Read it time to time before posting anything. Maybe this is a way of the universe teaching you something. Who knows?
maybe but next Forza motorsport will run natively on next gen only and streaming on Xbox one and other devices

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I will try to explain. It has nothing do to about graphics.
Fans of brand A crap on a game from brand B because is cross-gen. Brand A releases cross-gen game, fans of brand B laugh and crap on it.

It is like the universe is trying to teach them all a lesson but nobody understands it.
R5lHngl.jpg

"Brand A releases cross-gen game"

Released? Where?

Imagine defending forum trolls with a scenario you've made up. Weird.

dcmk7

Banned
There's no credible or verified leak that the game is planned for release on Xbox One. None at all.

The thread is about playtesting on Xbox One consoles last year. Since we don't know the scope of what was being playtested and the reasons for the xbox one choice are likely stock related, we cannot say with any degree of certainty that the game is coming to last gen consoles.

The only certain news we know is that Microsoft said (in 2020) it's current gen only. We'll know for sure by June.
We can't, no.

That's why I've been writing 'it looks like' and 'suggests' on the caveat this rumour and leak being true.

If it did start development with both consoles in mind however it will be pretty hard for it to not be compromised, even if Xbox One was dropped quite early.

Zeroing

Banned
"Brand A releases cross-gen game"

Released? Where?

Imagine defending forum trolls with a scenario you've made up. Weird.
Daddy Chill,
Life's too short to be stressing on a gaming forum.
maybe but next Forza motorsport will run natively on next gen only and streaming on Xbox one and other devices
All I have to say is, I enjoyed the latest Forza and as long is a good game I ain't to be playing it while thinking "Damn, I wish it wasn't cross-gen"

*shrugs

GHG

Gold Member
For starters better physics and AI, as Jaguar CPU can handle only so much. Mesh Shading to seriously boost the overall geometry, not just on cars but also tracks, audience etc. RT usage. There's a lot of stuff the racing genre could benefit from being next-gen only, especially on the CPU side.

While they could utilise the more powerful CPU to do this it's a bit of a misconception. For example Raceroom has some of the best physics and AI around and that runs well on core 2 duo CPU's. The main thing holding this area of development back is resource and focus, not the hardware power available, we're well past that point and have been for a long time now. RBR is still the best rally sim in terms of physics and that released in 2004.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I might disagree with you there, mate. I think it has an impact on GT7. It looks great, but you smell the stench of crossgen. Just beaten GT7, a great game but I would rather play a more casual racer like The Crew 2. Sim racing to me in closed doors feels a bit outdated to me now, and waiting for The Crew 2 update next July as I like intense body modifications and roaming around and having a variety of modes.

GT7 credit is too easy as well, not sure about those noobs and what are they whining about. Also AI is kinda easy to beat on Hard as well in most modes. I liked the grind for top cars on The Crew, GT7 you can buy a Bugatti after like 1 tournament (the final one), like 30-40min max and still have money to get plenty of other cars.

For me next to all the single player stuff, the online part is really addicting like the Sports mode and lobby.

Godot25

Banned
Phil pulling a Jim? Surprise!!!

Noticed DF just released a “non-sponsored” vid praising the virtues of cross gen by the Forza team. 🧐
Ehh. What a surprise?

While I personally expect Forza Motorsport to be next-gen only, if they choose to release it on last gen it would not be any Jimbo-like 180°. As far as I remember, Booty said, that 1-2 years after they release Series X/S they will release cross-gen games. So if FM will be out in September for example, they are still in that range.

But again. Microsoft was never afraid to say "this game will be cross-gen" and since main page of a game tells "Series X/S and PC" I have no problem believing them.

Shmunter

Ehh. What a surprise?

While I personally expect Forza Motorsport to be next-gen only, if they choose to release it on last gen it would not be any Jimbo-like 180°. As far as I remember, Booty said, that 1-2 years after they release Series X/S they will release cross-gen games. So if FM will be out in September for example, they are still in that range.

But again. Microsoft was never afraid to say "this game will be cross-gen" and since main page of a game tells "Series X/S and PC" I have no problem believing them.
Yeap, fair enough. If MS never stated next gen on Forza then it fits with initial disclosure

reksveks

While they could utilise the more powerful CPU to do this it's a bit of a misconception. For example Raceroom has some of the best physics and AI around and that runs well on core 2 duo CPU's. The main thing holding this area of development back is resource and focus, not the hardware power available, we're well past that point and have been for a long time now. RBR is still the best rally sim in terms of physics and that released in 2004.
Do you know how often the physics is updating on Raceroom?

Ozriel

M$FT
If it did start development with both consoles in mind however it will be pretty hard for it to not be compromised, even if Xbox One was dropped quite early.

I disagree. three years is way more than enough time to strip off any vestiges of last gen in a racing game.

You forget this is a studio used to making these games in two years.

Banned

the physics of Forza already run at more than 300hz on Jaguar cores... at this point the physics is more of a code issue than a cpu issue... especially for a SimCade racer like Forza.

also AI, driving AI is not hard to do computationally.
AI in the current landscape is almost 100% dependent on the skill and goals of the developers

and everything graphics relatet can easily be maxed out for Series X and PC and then scaled back to run on Xbox One. hell they could even make the CPU related stuff way better on Series consoles and then simply run the game at 30fps on last gen.

worst comes to worst, they could make 2 separate versions that aren't crossplay compatible and simply run a pared back version on Xbox One

Last edited:

Banned
Source for that?

There are certain things that's refreshing at 60hz, like the tyre contact but not sure about other physics.

we know that the new Forza will have tire contact refresh at 300hz, that's what I meant

edit: "In the new Forza Motorsport, the tire has 8 points of contact at 360hz"
that's the quote I found

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is that page 8 months old, wasn't GT7 still considered exclusive that long ago?
Hopefully nothing has changed in that time.

The beta images are from last year, that article is more recent if you want to take the more recent source for its word.

SLB1904

Banned
The beta images are from last year, that article is more recent if you want to take the more recent source for its word.
so the game has been tested on xbox one, clearly isnt for the graphics because duh, that looks early as hell. but about the physics and everything else. why would they test on Xbox one and then scrap it? wouldn't that be a waste of resources?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so the game has been tested on xbox one, clearly isnt for the graphics because duh, that looks early as hell. but about the physics and everything else. why would they test on Xbox one and then scrap it? wouldn't that be a waste of resources?

It could very well be a GT7 or Horizon case where they announced it for one platform but over the year saw they probably wouldn't be able to reach a big enough audience so made it cross-gen.

SLB1904

Banned
It could very well be a GT7 or Horizon case where they announced it for one platform but over the year saw they probably wouldn't be able to reach a big enough audience so made it cross-gen.
it could yeah, everybody knows gt7 is by a mile my favorite game in years. but would be lying if cross-gen had some effect on the game. there are a lot of things they are struggling to get it right due to cross-gen nature of it. and is not the graphics

Neo_game

I still don't fully understand what people think a next gen only racing game could bring to the table that a cross gen one can't...

I do not think scaling gfx works well on consoles. There is not enough optimization and basically the difference comes to resolution, 1080P vs 4K with some settings set higher. Moreover this game is supposedly using a brand new engine ? So more reason to ditch last gen consoles.

Shmunter

I do not think scaling gfx works well on consoles. There is not enough optimization and basically the difference comes to resolution, 1080P vs 4K with some settings set higher. Moreover this game is supposedly using a brand new engine ? So more reason to ditch last gen consoles.
Scaling the gfx is actually the simplest on the list of things to scale. It is the processing & I/o that do not scale well. Indeed a game that can happily run on last gen CPU’s is pretty much limited to it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
does anyone actually care if this is cross gen? Like really?
I can see a certain group that seems to be concerned about it and that's it.....

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
does anyone actually care if this is cross gen? Like really?
I can see a certain group that seems to be concerned about it and that's it.....
I care since im a fan of the series and don't want them to be hold back by the weaksauce Xbox one. The Xbox One would hold this game soo much back that they have to cut out features like dynamic tod, more accurate calculated physics, better damage simulation and larger grids and what not. And focusing only on Series consoles and pc gives the devs much more time to optimize those version than focusing on One, One S, One X, Series S, Series X and pc. But im fully confident that this will not launch on last gen. Since if that was the case they would use the old Forzatech engine (FH5 engine) since that scales perfectly on those consoles. They build a new engine to do things that was not possible with the old engine and optimize it for the new consoles.

AphexTwunt

My heart goes out to those expressing concern - don't lose sleep guys, it'll be ok.

Perhaps they're concerned that their top-spec PCs will be held back?

Neo_game

Scaling the gfx is actually the simplest on the list of things to scale. It is the processing & I/o that do not scale well. Indeed a game that can happily run on last gen CPU’s is pretty much limited to it.

Personally I wanted to see if they have hit a wall in terms of gfx fidelity in racing games, just like fighting and sports games. So if Forza was next en only may be we could have got the answer. Expecting some revolution in physics simulation is unlikely.

OP suggests there is/was a Xbox One build albeit based on a rumour/leak. Thread title is also quite to the point.
You need to read some of the comments which explains why there was an Xbox One version, obviously you would know that's no longer the case.

Shmunter

Personally I wanted to see if they have hit a wall in terms of gfx fidelity in racing games, just like fighting and sports games. So if Forza was next en only may be we could have got the answer. Expecting some revolution in physics simulation is unlikely.
The physics could extend beyond car handling however. More realistic world interaction, trees splintering, barriers deforming, brick walls crumbling. Etc.

Recall MS touting the power of the cloud for such things, e.g. Crackdown 3 initial vids. Now a lot of the power sits locally on the console cpu.

Last edited:

Banned

you are aware that these exist tho right?
switch-wolfenstein-2-vf.jpg
R.06cb34f4a593c72e27e3d66917a10da2

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I heard the physics on GT7 were quite damn good and it feels like one of the best track racers on console to me but maybe I'm wrong and it can't be too good due to the last gen cpu.

I'm playing on ps5 so 🤷

Forza motorsport has always been pretty decent to me so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.

Top Bottom