• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport is launching next Spring on Xbox and Xbox Game Pass (Xbox, PC, Cloud)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyfinch

I'm assuming there will be a 4k 60fps mode standard, and a 1440p or even 1080p 60fps mode with raytracing?

Also any chance this gets a 120fps mode? Maybe at 1080p with no raytracing?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It definitely still has the Forza Motorsport lighting look that doesn't impress me. Forza Horizon's lighting looks a lot more realistic imo. It's weird since they both use the same engine. Even the photogrammetry rocks shown in this F8 video aren't on the level of FH5.
This is exactly what I mean. I expected the lighting to look a lot more natural

sachos

Should’ve also mentioned that you own the game when you buy it. Even during Internet outages and shut downs.
Lets hope so, but Microsoft has been pretty bad recently with their physical releases and the recent service outage that locked the whole system not just one game.

twilo99

I'm assuming there will be a 4k 60fps mode standard, and a 1440p or even 1080p 60fps mode with raytracing?

Also any chance this gets a 120fps mode? Maybe at 1080p with no raytracing?

120fps for sure.

Looking forward to unlocked frames on PC

93xfan

Banned
Lets hope so, but Microsoft has been pretty bad recently with their physical releases and the recent service outage that locked the whole system not just one game.
My understanding is that it’s not an issue on your primary console. Hope that’s the case

John Wick

There's already a native PS5 GT7 that Sony charged $70-$100 for. You're insane if you think the people who bought that version will buy another one for $70 just for some minor visual upgrades compared to what they already have.
Who says it has to be $70?
Could be $10 or free like the upgrades and content they been releasing.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
People that downplay this can't even name 1 track racer that looks better or comes even close to what they have showed. And some people throwing Horizon 5 in here are actually showing how much more impressive this game is since its 30 vs 60 with much more advanced physics and ray tracing on console.

Skifi28

I could have sworn this thread was about Sony and GT if it wasn't for the title. People really can't be excited for something without downplaying something else, can they.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I could have sworn this thread was about Sony and GT if it wasn't for the title. People really can't be excited for something without downplaying something else, can they.
Never understood that mentality either

Too many people need to feel good about their purchase by putting down what others buy

Mario Lopez Football GIF

lem0n

I really would have liked to see more than the M8 just cruising down the front straight. I really want to see what these new physics look like in real time.. you can usually get a pretty good idea of how a game feels just by watching the cars react

I really would have liked to see more than the M8 just cruising down the front straight. I really want to see what these new physics look like in real time.. you can usually get a pretty good idea of how a game feels just by watching the cars react

I'm a bit annoyed that they kept driving off the track in almost every shot in the trailer to make it more exciting which gave the impression it will cater more to the track cutters and shitty driving historically seen in Motorsport's online.

This game should have an evolved version of the race regulation system they implemented into Forza Motorsport 7 before they stopped updating the game.

Hopefully they'll be diving into all that over the coming months. The game is still a ways off so I expect things are all still being tuned before it goes gold.

Dan Greenawalt, Alan Hartman and Chris Esaki have done a few interviews over the last few years talking about the engine they were building for this game. Track surface temps changing on the fly with Time-of-day/weather affecting grip and tire temps, aerodynamic sheer forces, wind models, calculating aerodynamic drag, accurate drafting and wings working as intended, huge improvements to the tire model including many more sectors, etc, have been touched on in the last few years.

We won't know until it gets closer to release but the car behavior in the few shots they showed where the car stayed on the track looked pretty good to me. There just wasn't nearly enough of it.

reksveks

Think there are still some more information needed on Thursday. I would like them to be explicit with 'on track raytracing' but shit looks good so far.

I'm a bit annoyed that they kept driving off the track in almost every shot in the trailer to make it more exciting which gave the impression it will cater more to the track cutters and shitty driving historically seen in Motorsport's online.

This game should have an evolved version of the race regulation system they implemented into Forza Motorsport 7 before they stopped updating the game.

Hopefully they'll be diving into all that over the coming months. The game is still a ways off so I expect things are all still being tuned before it goes gold.

Dan Greenawalt, Alan Hartman and Chris Esaki have done a few interviews over the last few years talking about the engine they were building for this game. Track surface temps changing on the fly with Time-of-day/weather affecting grip and tire temps, aerodynamic sheer forces, wind models, calculating aerodynamic drag, accurate drafting and wings working as intended, huge improvements to the tire model including many more sectors, etc, have been touched on in the last few years.

We won't know until it gets closer to release but the car behavior in the few shots they showed where the car stayed on the track looked pretty good to me. There just wasn't nearly enough of it.
Thanks for the info. This is the kind of thing I'm hoping to hear more about as well. The game looks incredible, but that doesn't mean a lot to me if the actual racing isn't top notch as well.

At the end of the day, it was a short trailer/demo to showcase the new game. I was happy they spent time focusing on some of the physics and handling at all. But I agree they went overboard with driving off the track. Likely to showcase damage and make more of an impact to a casual observer.

However, I do think they will include an improved race regulation system. All the messaging around this game is on having more realism than Forza 7: race weekends, improved damage/physics, tire compounds, fuel management, etc. I don't expect anything less from the system to regulate racing conduct (improvement from Forza 7). That being said, the typical Turn 10 approach is to trickle out information at a very slow rate. I don't expect much new news anytime soon other than clarifying a few points related to the showcase.

Stuart360

FM7 really perfected the lighting whenever the game was overcast or rainy, but the lighting on a sunny day still looked off. The lighting in this game on a sunny day looks a lot better than FM7.
I would still say the lighting in GT7 on a sunny day still looks slightly better than in this game, although literally everyhting else is a massive step up.

Last edited:

l2ounD

It definitely still has the Forza Motorsport lighting look that doesn't impress me. Forza Horizon's lighting looks a lot more realistic imo. It's weird since they both use the same engine. Even the photogrammetry rocks shown in this F8 video aren't on the level of FH5.
Same for the cars still wanting that material definition

I hope they will implement FSR 2.0, that way you may be able to get 120fps gaming. Im not just talking about PC, but Xbox Series X|S as well.

sncvsrtoip

First track racing game with proper polished environment graphics (all 3d trees woho ;d) tough lighting gt7 has more natural/better

Neo_game

am i alone here who wasnt impressed at all .. ? i mean that RT must cost a lot ... so it costs where ? there must be some stuff that just couldnt be done because RT ... dynamic time of day and weather ... yh we have that on Horizon.. and do i care so much about it ? im not sure... my race will last like 2-5 laps most ... by that time no time of day or weather should rly change if its realistic... so it changes when ? i mean its just event racing game not open world... no thats impressive .. again look at Horizon 5. we have that allready... and for RT .. ok if you play from cockpit only how much that RT will affect your gameplay ? not sure.. for replays sure... but then they said RT will be for XSS as well ... i mean cmon its weak console.. what RT could be for that ... again we need to loose something to get RT.
most important thing that wasnt showed on trailer or gameplay where ... real racing ... and cockpit views... and physics ... they kinda didint talked about it much did they now ? i wonder why .. now its all about how tracks detailed and RT ... sorry no ... we have Horizon for that
and notice how they not showing anywhere numbers 4K and 60fps ... lol and they didnt even said its 60fps...haha something is not right there ...

No I think most serious racing fans are underwhelmed by 30secs gameplay. lol. The only reason I can think off is they will release gameplay videos shortly. Their are so called in engine gameplay demo was more of a sales pitch switching camera angles to showings trees, RT, damage etc for newcomer I think. They are not calling it Forza8 just FM. It is a reboot and I guess that is why they made that video. More people wanted to see proper gameplay and can decide themselves. It could also be the game is 1 year away and not ready to be shown.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

People that downplay this can't even name 1 track racer that looks better or comes even close to what they have showed. And some people throwing Horizon 5 in here are actually showing how much more impressive this game is since its 30 vs 60 with much more advanced physics and ray tracing on console.
You haven’t even seen extended In game gameplay, tiny 10 second dnippets mean nothing.

hollams

Gold Member
Thought it was funny that every time they mentioned Raytracing they always followed up with on the race track.

Turk1993

You haven’t even seen extended In game gameplay, tiny 10 second dnippets mean nothing.
Everything was real time with a single camera cut directly followed by the gameplay part. They wanted to show the environments better which is why they used that drone cam. And Forza Motorsport 7 already looked the same as photomode (outside bokeh and downsampling ofcourse) and replays without any enhancements on pc. And that 10 sec of gameplay showed huge improvements over FM7 in terms of lighting, shading, reflections, environment detail, pop in, motion blur and overall effects. You can clearly see that it looks a gen better than 7 even with a low compressed 10 sec footage.

Turk1993

Thought it was funny that every time they mentioned Raytracing they always followed up with on the race track.
They need to because i wouldn't believe them that it was in game if they just said RT support without mentioning on race track.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Looks very nice, but obviously graphics don’t really mean shit in a simulator racing game. It’s the physics engine and accuracy that counts. I will certainly grab a drive hub at some point to use my g29, and download this.

It’ll have to go some to match or outdo GT7, but we will see!

Not sure if already posted but there was a blog post on forza.net that was dropped after the trailer

Here at Turn 10 Studios, our team is building the next generation of Forza Motorsport to immerse you in the spectacle of racing like you’ve never seen it before. Today, at the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase, we went under the hood to share what we’ve been working on.
Coming in spring 2023, Forza Motorsport has been built from the ground up to showcase the Xbox Series X|S consoles. The accuracy of our overhauled physics, the beauty of our cars and tracks, our new dynamic time of day, advanced car damage, and real time ray tracing on track lead to a generational leap in immersion. Forza Motorsport is the most technically advanced racing game ever made.

Captured in-game and running on an Xbox Series X, we unveiled a brand-new trailer which debuted alongside the first ever gameplay of Forza Motorsport, showcasing how Maple Valley – a beloved, fan-favorite track since the very first Motorsport game launched in 2005 – is being brought to life in stunning detail and beauty.

In addition to Maple Valley, our trailer introduced players to returning fan-favorite tracks Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps and Laguna Seca Raceway. We also revealed Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit, a South African track making its Forza Motorsport debut, and the all-new Circuit Hakone set in Japan, an original, high-speed Grand Prix circuit built to showcase the technically advanced, state of the art immersion of the new Forza Motorsport.

Fundamental to Forza Motorsport is our fully dynamic time of day system, which brings tracks to life in stunning detail and like weather, it will be available on every track. Changes in time of day alter ambient temperatures, which, in turn, impacts the track surface temperatures. These track temperature changes will affect the grip of your car, as does rubbering in and weather. These new simulation details add further depth, drama, and dynamics to the racing experience.

Environments have been captured using photogrammetry and 3D material scans while advanced rendering and procedural generation techniques bring a new level of realism to the track. The grass, rocks, 3D vegetation, skies and clouds illustrate a generational leap in beauty and detail while forward+ lighting and physically based lights come together to deepen the realism and immersion in our Motorsport world, highlighted by the night-time glow of Maple Valley’s Ferris wheel.

We've completely overhauled the core driving experience to take advantage of the power of the Xbox Series consoles. This includes a 48 times improvement in the fidelity of our physics simulation. Based on your feedback, we’ve introduced new features like tire and fuel management, multiple tire compounds, and new in-depth car building to create the ultimate racing playset. This is all brought to life at the trackside pits, where advanced materials and shaders paired with ray tracing bring out incredible detail in the gold heat wrap, anodized aluminum, and carbon fiber. Ray tracing especially shines on engine bays with their complex self-reflection.

In Forza Motorsport, car damage is reproduced down to the individual scratches on the bodywork. There are all-new simulation details in the directionality of damage, how the paint peels away at exposed and raised edges, in the wheel abrasions, and in the dirt build-up. Car damage is a racing reality and has been authentically captured in the new Forza Motorsport.

Watch the Forza Motorsport gameplay video to experience a one-shot gameplay demo at speed featuring the natural beauty and fall colors of Maple Valley while behind the wheel of the 2018 BMW #1 M8 GTE. You’ll see how with the power of Xbox Series X|S consoles, real-time ray tracing on track makes everything feel more connected, natural and real as cars reflect onto other cars – reflecting in their own mirrors, bodywork, wings and brake rotors.

Particularly interested in "rubbering in" affecting grip. On actual tracks as time goes on the track is coverd in a layer of shed rubber from the hot sticky race tires. Particularly at a drag strip this has a huge impact on performance. New drag strips are often difficult to drive on as they are "slippery" until sufficient amounts of rubber are left on the surface. On that same note though on a circuit race track, while a hot track could benefit from a layer of rubber a cold one would suffer and on a wet track the rubber under water would be damned near like hitting black ice.

So the gameplay was captured on a Series X? So does that confirm 4k 60fps with raytracing?

It appears to. T10 historically are no-compromise when it comes to framerate. Ever since Forza Motorsport 2 released the games have been absolutely rock-solid 60fps with zero dips regardless of any compromises that would mean elsewhere. Performance has always been king in Motorsport titles.

FingerBang

Looks very nice, but obviously graphics don’t really mean shit in a simulator racing game. It’s the physics engine and accuracy that counts. I will certainly grab a drive hub at some point to use my g29, and download this.

It’ll have to go some to match or outdo GT7, but we will see!
No no, read this thread and listen to the masters: Better graphics means better racing game. Sony is doomed!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No no, read this thread and listen to the masters: Better graphics means better racing game. Sony is doomed!

Graphics certainly help. Also, FM is a higher rated, more consistent franchise than GT. Also, nobody is doomed.

Can't wait to compare FM(8) on PC to GT7 on PC. It will be so interesting.

SomeGit

Not sure if already posted but there was a blog post on forza.net that was dropped after the trailer

Particularly interested in "rubbering in" affecting grip. On actual tracks as time goes on the track is coverd in a layer of shed rubber from the hot sticky race tires. Particularly at a drag strip this has a huge impact on performance. New drag strips are often difficult to drive on as they are "slippery" until sufficient amounts of rubber are left on the surface. On that same note though on a circuit race track, while a hot track could benefit from a layer of rubber a cold one would suffer and on a wet track the rubber under water would be damned near like hitting black ice.

Hopefully it also has proper marble simulation for wet races.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Will this now be a live service "platform" or whatever, given that apparently it's not a numbered sequel but simply "Forza Motorsport"?

djjinx2

Will this now be a live service "platform" or whatever, given that apparently it's not a numbered sequel but simply "Forza Motorsport"?

I hope so. Racers are perfect for this imo.

If the physics are good and racing fun then add on packs or campaign add ons can be awesome. Driveclub bikes spring to mind!

I'm not downplaying FM at all; I think it looks pretty great in actuality especially for having in-game car damage and in-game realtime RT, both are pluses over GT7.

But the people saying it "destroys" GT7 visually are exaggerating massively IMHO. Environmental detail might be better on the actual tracks themselves, but trackside detail seems like a wash between the two. Same with car model details (again minus FM having the advantage of realtime RT and car damage). In terms of lighting I think GT7 is superior and by a considerable margin, even ignoring there's no realtime RT in-game. PD just seem to have a better taste for controlled, realistic lighting, and their color palettes are a big advantage in that regard as well.

Those two things, color palette and lighting, basically even things out between FM and GT7 visually, in spite of some of the advantages the former has. GT7 just seems like it looks and feels more "lived in" in terms of overall visual fidelity, meanwhile FM still has a bit too much of a cartoonish look that's part of their choice of color palette and lighting style tho that's been kind of a thing with the series since the first game.

Overall tho which one you prefer is probably down to subjective preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom