• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Street Mobile Game is Shutting Down

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Developer Electric Square released the game’s final patch on Monday, and the servers will be shutting down later this year.

Since Forza Street depends on its central servers to function, the game will be definitively dead once those servers go offline sometime this Spring. As such, the final patch serves to begin the process of taking the mobile game offline. The patch disables all in-game microtransactions, with Microsoft refunding any purchases made in the last 30 days. It also significantly discounts all purchases using in-game currency. Players will also find energy storage and recharge rates greatly increased while the patch significantly reduces Car Show wait times.

In addition, the patch adds in a new unreleased car, allowing players to complete their collection before the game goes offline. To help with that, Forza Street is having a 12-week Spotlight featuring Rare and Epic Cars. The Spotlight begins on January 17 and will likely be players last chance to fill their virtual garage. Microsoft hasn’t announced the exact date and time Forza Street’s servers shut down. However, it’s likely to occur soon after the Spotlight ends on April 11.

Stuart360

Never played the game, or care about it, but i hope this is the way forward for online based games, being patched and turned into offline games in preperation of servers being shut off.
Too many online only games seem to just be lost to history when their servers are shut off, and with an increasingly online focused gaming medium, that could be a long term problem.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Mobile - the future if gaming

I still lament the loss of sp one of purchase games like mirrors edge, bio shock, etc.

wipeout364

Never played the game, or care about it, but i hope this is the way forward for online based games, being patched and turned into offline games in preperation of servers being shut off.
Too many online only games seem to just be lost to history when their servers are shut off, and with an increasingly online focused gaming medium, that could be a long term problem.
Is that what they are saying or are they just making it easier to complete your car collection before the game shuts down for good? The article seems to imply that once the servers go the game is done.

Stuart360

Is that what they are saying or are they just making it easier to complete your car collection before the game shuts down for good? The article seems to imply that once the servers go the game is done.
Actually i dont know now after you said that. I took this line to mean the game would be offline only after the servers are shut down -
As such, the final patch serves to begin the process of taking the mobile game offline

Plus would people really want to complete their car lists if the game was going to literally closed down?

Monad

oh-no-anyway.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Forgot this game even existed. If a dev is going to make a mobile game at least make a good one.

I'm not a mobile gamer, but I'm amazed people would spend time playing stuff like this. If I'm stuck somewhere with my phone, I'd rather just check and respond to work email, check sports scores and business news.

Actually i dont know now after you said that. I took this line to mean the game would be offline only after the servers are shut down -

Plus would people really want to complete their car lists if the game was going to literally closed down?
The article also says the game will be "definitively dead" though. Sounds like by saying they're "taking it offline" they don't mean "making it an offline-only game", they mean "taking a game that relies on servers and turning them off"

Skifi28

Gotta love mobile gaming. Make a game about spending actual cash and then take it offline a little later making all your purchases useless.

B-b-but you had fun, right?

wipeout364

It’s not very clear, I read the article three times and I still don’t know for sure. I am leaning towards the game completely shutting down based on what it says. I have never played this as I generally don’t play anything mobile.

Top Bottom