• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found my PS3, this thing worth keeping?

skit_data

Which model is it?

If it’s a launch edition with PS2/PS1 BC I’d definitely keep it.

Edit: Might be worth mentioning that I keep 2 PS3s around myself, one fat non BC model and one slim model. I’d buy a BC launch PS3 without hesitation if I found one for a good price. The working ones are getting quite valuable.

Last edited:

Mabdia

My advice to you is: Keep it.

There is a ton of games that you might want to play. You can also jail-broke it and play some old games with emulators. If it is PS2 compatible, you had another ton of games that you can play.

To me it is the last real amazing Sony's console. The PS4 is a good console but PS3 might be 4 steps ahead of it.

Last edited:
recently found my ps3 in a box in a closet. I forgot I owned it. got rid of my ps4 a while ago.

this ps3 worth keeping if I plan on picking up a ps5? not sure how backwards compatibility works on the ps5. are there any games I would need an actual ps3 to play?

not sure what to do with this thing
hack it and put Retroarch on it

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd keep it if you've got interest in going back to old games. I played a bunch in the last few months.

FF XIII trilogy, Resistance 3, Soul Calibur V and some old PS1 titles. Granted the new PS+ might make this redundant. Just wait and see.

destroy it, so my PS3s become more valuable.
hehe-evil.gif

ps fat PS3 is the best. all the others look like budget garbage.

Bakkus

It has some good exclusives which still hasn't been ported any other place, So I would keep it if I were you.

MangalaX

Neo Member
recently found my ps3 in a box in a closet. I forgot I owned it. got rid of my ps4 a while ago.

this ps3 worth keeping if I plan on picking up a ps5? not sure how backwards compatibility works on the ps5. are there any games I would need an actual ps3 to play?

not sure what to do with this thing
Oh destiny, I wish I had one just to play METAL GEAR SOLID 4...for me one of the last great metal gear...I mean 5 had good gameplay and thats it...

I would jailbreak it and turning it on a emulation machine.
It's a lot of trouble for something that can probably be replaced by an RPI4 or something.

I had a ps3, it gave me great time as a gaming/media box... But honestly I find it hard to justify keeping one around, the games I care about were either ported to ps4, have PC versions or can be emulated.

OP you should definitely keep it. PS3 emulation is very difficult and there are still some great titles that are stuck on the platform like Killzone 2/3 and Resistance series. MGS4 is also only playable on the PS3 right now (but PC emulation has come a long way if you have a beefy setup). That's my two cents.

Bragr

Banned
The install times is hell, it completely ruins it, especially compared to 360 which works like a charm.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Did you buy the HD edition of Third Strike? There’s also the delisted Marvel vs Capcom 2, Origins, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, X-MEN, and The Simpsons. There’s a bunch of collections on there like the Namco, Capcom, and other various HD versions of classic arcade games. I have it to transfer some PS1 and PSP games onto my Vita. Not to mention PS2 classics that never made it onto the PS4/5’s cherry picked list (Capcom vs SNK 2 for example is only on PS3). You should consider browsing the PSN store and/or finding a list of great digital PS3 games. Not to mention the amount of great Japanese imports you can play on there.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Is it the backwards compatible version that sold for 600 dollars? If so, keep it. I still have mine and I'm never selling it. I believe it's fully BC with PS2 and PS1

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OP, if you havent had the urge to play it the whole time, just get rid of it. I'm to lazy to see/read if you mentioned which version it is. A 60gb fatty is worth a couple hundred on eBay. It's hard to tell because you got some guys at $100, then some all the way to $300.

If you dont have much urge to play it (youre forcing yourself to play something for the heck of it), I'd say just dump it. But if perhaps you might get some use out of it as a BR player as well (duo function), then maybe keep it around.

For me, I always get rid of my old systems. Ya, sometimes I have a small urge to play some old Xbox game not BC with Series X, but looking back the urge isnt worth it. I'd rather just trade it in and get my $50 or $100. I dumped off One X with some cruddy games and an extra controller for $450 cdn. Insane. I could had kept it around and use it for my bedroom TV, but why? I'll just pocket the cash. I keep all my gear in perfect condition too (box, manuals etc...) so I hope the guy who bought it off me enjoys it.

SeraphJan

Keep it, just mind you, if its phat model, although PS2 and PS1 BC is nice, but the heat problem will kick in, it's probably going to die sooner or later.

skit_data

Keep it, just mind you, if its phat model, although PS2 and PS1 BC is nice, but the heat problem will kick in, it's probably going to die sooner or later.
If the owner is handy there are some modifications that will ensure it will run cool enough to last:

solidus12

If the owner is handy there are some modifications that will ensure it will run cool enough to last:

Are you familiar with the Frankenstein mod?
You put a 65nm or 40nm RSX in the backwards compatible model; seems to be working.

Not sure about the Cell though.

skit_data

Are you familiar with the Frankenstein mod?
You put a 65nm or 40nm RSX in the backwards compatible model; seems to be working.

Not sure about the Cell though.
I haven’t heard about it and it sure sounds like something that’s way above my skill level :p
What does it do? Lowers the heat produced from the GPU?

Afaik the Cell is more prone to overheating than the RSX, and also a lot harder to delid (I managed to delid the RSX on my fat PS3, but I don’t dare touch the Cell).

Top Bottom