• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean's favorite films and songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Considering how diverse his music is, it's not surprising to see that reflected in his music & movie choices. People saying he's cherry picking stuff for a list don't know the kind of person Frank Ocean is.

Why does he get his own thread?
Why are you complaining?

Jacob

I'm really happy to see Barry Lyndon on there. I watched that for the first time a few years ago as a result of a GAF recognition and it became one of my favorite films. Not one I often hear talked about much, though.

amaretto

Nice movie list but it reads like a typical fresh out of film school list. I mean, it's not BAD and I'm not calling him a poser or anything but it's just eh. There's nothing exciting or interesting about his choices. Can find them on any Criterion/Letterboxd list.

Nice movie list but it reads like a typical fresh out of film school list. I mean, it's not BAD and I'm not calling him a poser or anything but it's just eh. There's nothing exciting or interesting about his choices. Can find them on any Criterion/Letterboxd list.

pretty much.. its pretty entry level and I didn't even go to film school

there's a few interesting choices but it didn't really turn me onto anything new

terrible

Banned
Mazzy Star and Nick Cave, good stuff.

The lack of Malick is surprising but otherwise a solid movie list too. Only a few on there are head scratchers for a top list to me, and that's with it not looking like a copy/paste of every other top list out there.

It's good to see Barry Lyndon there.

A bit disappointing Eyes Wide Shut isn't, considering there are 8 Kubrick movies there.

Myriadis

I love it that he likes Alex G (the lo-fi artist, not the pop princess). I think that guy also plays guitar on some of his tracks

That film list reads like the most generic "Top 100 Films Of All Time" list. It's like praising someone for preferring ice-cream to dog turds.

Kazaam

It's a boring list of great films.

Same thing came to my mind. For such an interesting artist, this list really feels quite empty personality wise and comes off as disappointing. Maybe it's because there are too many as well... if you take only the last 10 films in the list, the personality level would rise tenfold.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Feels like he just googled around a few 'classic' movies and just listed those out.

I don't even think he's watched those movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom