• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freeware games, because free is the best price tag

Guilty_AI

The best things in life are free, so i want to see people sharing their own recommendations on free games that you can play right now, and why you think they're worth our time.

obs: Must be an officially 100% free title, meaning temporary giveaways or sharewares/abandonwares that never really became free don't count.

My recommendations:

Nitronic Rush (DigiPen)(Official Page)
An excellent stunt time-attack racing game that plays very similarly to trackmania, except it has a tron-ish artstyle and the car has wings. It has a fair amount of levels and if you dig into the concept, it should entertain you for a while. The team went on to develop Distance, a paid game that expands on the concept. Trailer (for Nitronic rush) here

Perspective (DigiPen)(Steam)
A interesting platformer that requires you to use a first person 3D perspective (wink wink) to get a 2D character to the end of the level (you really have to see it to properly understand what that means)

Zineth (Official page)
An open world 3D game with an interesting concept that i like to call "3D sonic done correctly". You explore a map full of little secrets while traversing at high speeds, as well as playing with your phone once in a while. Trailer here

Ib (Translation page)
An horror rpg maker game. Its set in an art museum, and it has a interesting story with cool levels and puzzles. It should be a fun game to play on a friday night.

Yahtzee Dev Diary collection (Itch io)
If you follow Yahtzee reviews from the escapist magazine, you should know he decided to create 12 games in a year. The results were quite interesting and worth checking out for yourself. Plus, you can see videos where he talks about the whole creative process behind those ideas, which could be interesting for some people.

Katawa Shoujo (Official page)
A bit of a bizarre title. Its a japanese style romance visual novel revolving around people with health and physical problems. I picked this out of morbid curiosity, especially after i heard it was made by a group of 4chan users with no budget at all and surprisingly ended up quite liking the story and characters. I should mention that this does contains +18 scenes, althought they're far from the main focus of the game.

EDIT: Updated with download pages

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Updating the list:

Frostrunner (Steam)
A fairly simple but well executed game. Its a first person parkour platformer. Make your way to the end of the level using speed and reflex. Just take a look.

Dwarf Fortress (Official Page)
A rather famous entry that couldn't possibly be ignored in such a list. Hiding behind its very unfriendly interface is one of the most complex games you'll ever see. Build entire procedurally generated worlds from the ground up complete with its very own unique kingdoms, history, individuals, geography, all while allowing you to do pretty much whatever you want. From building your own settlement complete with all the systems that come with it or simply going out on an adventure RPG-style of your own. There are no limits here, except for what your CPU can handle.

Yumme Nikki (Steam)
Another famous entry. It's a fairly old game from the early 2000's that gained its own cult following. Its essentially a rpg maker walking simulator where you control a girl through whats assumed to be her dreams. The game is known for its mysterious and eery nature and thats most likely the reason why it became so popular in the first place. There's even a list of fangames that took inspiration from its formula, such as .flow, Yumme 2kki and Agony.

Sven coop (Steam)
A multiplayer game using golden source from Half Life. This isn't a free to play game, its 100% free and mainly community driven. Enter a random server just to be surprised by some complete nonsensical level. Its purpose is essentially to allow us to play coop with friends or strangers on Half Life mods made by fans. While this game is fairly old, it still has a small active community around it. If you're ever bored and interested in seeing some weird shit and complete chaos, by all means do try this out.

EDIT: Updated with download pages

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Guilty_AI

Halloween special!
Yeah, its still early but i've decided to compile a list inspired by this thread
I'm gonna put up a list of spooky freeware games.

Already mentioned games:
Ib (Translation page)
An horror rpg maker game. Its set in an art museum, and it has a interesting story with cool levels and puzzles. It should be a fun game to play on a friday night.

Yumme Nikki (Steam)
Another famous entry. It's a fairly old game from the early 2000's that gained its own cult following. Its essentially a rpg maker walking simulator where you control a girl through whats assumed to be her dreams. The game is known for its mysterious and eery nature and thats most likely the reason why it became so popular in the first place. There's even a list of fangames that took inspiration from its formula, such as:
.flow, (Wiki page with download and instructions) and
Yumme 2kki (Wiki page with download and instructions)

Since they were rpg maker games, i'll add in some more. After all they always have a good dosage of spookyness:
The Witch's House (Translation page)
Mad Father (
Translation page)
Blank Dream (
Translation page)
Pocket Mirror (
Itch io)
They all follow similar formulas to Ib albeit in different settings. Ib is still my favorite though.

OFF (Wiki page with various download links)
Technically also a RPG maker game, but it follows a slightly different formula from the previous ones. This one has actual turn based combat and rather than horror, its more of a creepily weird game.

Yumme Nikki 3D (Itch io)
Not a fan of RPG maker games? You can try this 3D version of Yumme nikki. The contents are completely different but its still an interesting catch.

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion (Steam)
It follows an interesting concept. You traverse through 1000 rooms while trying to survive cute horror. It feels more like parody than terror, but it does have its moments of tension and, of course, jump scares.

Doki Doki Literature Club (Steam) (Itch Io)
Of course this one was coming. If you already know then thats that. If you don't, well, its just a cute VN where you interact with cute girls in a literature club, thats it really. Why is it on a halloween list you ask? No reason, just felt like mentioning it.

2:22 AM (Itch Io)
A relatively short yet somewhat disturbing game. As the title suggests, try playing this late in the night with the lights turned off.

Penumbra (Itch io)
A walking simulator of sorts with puzzles. Enjoy a great atmosphere while running away from creepy creatures

Cry of Fear (Steam)
Made in the golden source engine (thats right, THAT golden source engine). It follows a similar formula to 'classic' horror games like RE, where you traverse through a eerie town shooting the horrors you find along the way. Also, it has a coop mode.

We Were Here (Steam)
A puzzle 2 player game. Its not exactly scary but it does have that deliciously tense atmosphere.

SCP-087-B (Official site)
You walk down stairs. Thats it. Really.

SCP - Containment Breach (Official site)
Don't. Blink.

Those are the ones I can remember. Want some more? You can always search for them with the right tags in places such as steam or itch io

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

New batch of games:

Daggerfall (UESP)(Bethesda.net):
This classic has been available for free for a while now. One of the (if not THE) largests RPG worlds to date with. Many people still consider this game to have more depth than the newer entries in TES series.
One thing to be thankfull about is that despite being fairly old, controls are extremely customizable so you can play your game in a more familiar fashion.
OBS: The previous game, Arena, is also available for free, but i would still recommed Daggerfall over it due to a certain lack of QoL features.

OffPeak (Steam) (Itch io):
Its, well, a very peculiar game. It falls under the artistic category of indies and while there isn't much in terms of gameplay, its something you go for largely in order to appreciate the sounds and visuals.

SKYE (Steam):
Another artistic game, although this one is less weird. Pilot an airplane in a small island doing simple missions and appreciating the scenario. Its fairly short and simple, but should be an interesting experience overall.

FlightGear (Official site):
Want to try your hands at a flight sim but can't/don't want to afford FS2020? This is your solution

Helltaker (Steam):
Travel through hell in order to create your own harem of demon girls.

Last edited:

GenericUser

New batch of games:

Daggerfall (UESP)(Bethesda.net):
This classic has been available for free for a while now. One of the (if not THE) largests RPG worlds to date with. Many people still consider this game to have more depth than the newer entries in TES series.
One thing to be thankfull about is that despite being fairly old, controls are extremely customizable so you can play your game in a more familiar fashion.
OBS: The previous game, Arena, is also available for free, but i would still recommed Daggerfall over it due to a certain lack of QoL features.

I want to add the mod "Daggerfall Unity" for the core game. Adds many QoL improvements (including controller support!) and drastically enhances the graphics! A must play for elder scrolls fans and it's also free!

Top Bottom