• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is Guantanamo Prisoners' New Favorite Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guantánamo Prisoners Discover, Inexplicably Love The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
By Julie Miller
2:00 PM, August 9 2012

Surprising news from The Miami Herald today: Among the 28,000 books and videos in the library of the Guantánamo Bay detention center, prisoners have suddenly gravitated toward The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. A Guantánamo librarian, who just ordered all six seasons to sate the growing demand, did not speculate about the random interest in Will Smith’s 90s-era television series, but he did say he’s noticed that the prisoners prefer comedy.

Speaking of (black) comedy, the paper notes that maximum-security captives are permitted to view The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (or their outdated sitcom of choice) for an hour or two a day “from a recliner, with one ankle shackled to a bolt on the floor.” So called co-operative captives, meanwhile, can watch shows communally on a flat-screen television that has been bolted to a wall inside a Plexiglas box. Criminally, the Herald fails to note whether the medium-security lock-ups are also provided recliners.

According to Guantánamo’s librarian, who identifies himself to journalists only as Milton, while interest in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has piqued, prisoners have been neglecting their former favorite library rental: the Harry Potter books. The sympathetic Herald explains:

The stories about Harry Potter now sit unborrowed on the shelves of the library, an air-conditioned trailer where contractors examine and assemble material for distribution in the prison camps. “They’re over that; it’s been more than a year,” the librarian said in an interview Tuesday.

Former librarians have noted other suddenly popular prisoners’ rentals over the years, included Barack Obama’s best-selling book The Audacity of Hope. According to Milton, a Bill Cosby series has also been in demand.
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/os...risoners-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-harry-potter

Anyone else think they were going to get Bel Air trolled while reading that article?

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, so please don't go
I'll tell you how I became a prisoner at Guantánamo

In west Pakistan born and raised
In the market where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, hating America all cool
And all burning some flags outside of the school
When a couple of guys, they were up to no good
Started recruiting in my neighborhood
I got in one little terror cell and the US did know
And said "You're moving with the others to Guantánamo"

They put me in a cell with about seven or eight
And I yelled to the guard "Yo, death to America!"
Locked in the prison, I was finally home
To sit in my cell as the prince of Guantánamo

Source: http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/08/fresh_prince_of_bel-air_is_gua.php

Bazza

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute, so please don't go
I'll tell you how I became a prisoner at Guantánamo

In west Pakistan born and raised
In the market where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, hating America all cool
And all burning some flags outside of the school
When a couple of guys, they were up to no good
Started recruiting in my neighborhood
I got in one little terror cell and the US did know
And said "You're moving with the others to Guantánamo"

They put me in a cell with about seven or eight
And I yelled to the guard "Yo, death to America!"
Locked in the prison, I was finally home
To sit in my cell as the prince of Guantánamo

Source: http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2012/08/fresh_prince_of_bel-air_is_gua.php

that's awesome, left a smile on my face.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why they didn't put Bay in that song.

It would have went with raised and days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom