• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friend going to HK for a month, need suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenov4

.. regarding what kinda gaming related stuff he should bring back. And yes I'll pass on the "love pillows" .. :)

sonatinas

tell your friend to get a pass and go north to shenzhen , then go to dongmen shopping district

shit load of pirated stuff and is a lot cheaper than hk

i used to live in shenzhen

probably take 30-40 min to get there from center of HK

jenov4

I heard they're always doing crackdowns on those kinda places with the pirated goods. And it's kinda tough to find this type of stuff in HK nowadays?

Crackdowns are still on, but they're very easy to avoid. The shopkeepers basically close up and tell you to come back in 15 minutes.

sonatinas

crackdowns are a joke

story time

I was at this pirate hangout in front of mcdonalds. I was looking through some DVDs and seeing what they had. Next thing I knew everyone started running away because the cops were coming. So, I went into the mcdonalds and had a big mac. I wasnt even done with my big mac and the pirates returned to their spot and i bought a dvd.

They hide their shit all over the place, and in Shenzhen, if you find a legit dvd you are very lucky because this one store i would go to even their legit dvds were fakes. So, i bargain the fuck out of them. That reminds me, if u dont try to lower the price down when u are buying pirated stuff u will get ripped off. South China rules.

jenov4

Oh really, I thought the HK government really tried to crackdown hard on these types of pirates. I don't remember exactly where I read it but I think you get instant jail time for selling this type of stuff, even if its your first offense.

Doth Togo

sonatinas said:
crackdowns are a joke

story time

I was at this pirate hangout in front of mcdonalds. I was looking through some DVDs and seeing what they had. Next thing I knew everyone started running away because the cops were coming. So, I went into the mcdonalds and had a big mac. I wasnt even done with my big mac and the pirates returned to their spot and i bought a dvd.

They hide their shit all over the place, and in Shenzhen, if you find a legit dvd you are very lucky because this one store i would go to even their legit dvds were fakes. So, i bargain the fuck out of them. That reminds me, if u dont try to lower the price down when u are buying pirated stuff u will get ripped off. South China rules.

Yours truly manages the game industry anti-piracy program in HK. HK Customs is doing good work these days.

Doth Togo

jenov4 said:
Neat, so any interesting stories to share?

Some of the doods that are being arrested and sentenced are getting long long LONG term jail sentences including a "re-education" of laws, protocol and morality under HK and Chinese laws. HK and Chinese jails are not like those here in the USA. Think much more nasty.

ourumov

Doth Togo said:
Some of the doods that are being arrested and sentenced are getting long long LONG term jail sentences including a "re-education" of laws, protocol and morality under HK and Chinese laws. HK and Chinese jails are not like those here in the USA. Think much more nasty.

We all have seen Story of Ricky-Oh. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom