• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friends: The Reunion | Official Trailer | HBO Max

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sort of sad how the talk of the town is how they look now.
I mean, it's only human to react that way I suppose, but it's a bit of a depressing notion even so.
Shouldn't really matter much.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Same thing as game of thrones, if you have never wanted it, you absolutely must tell everyone you've never watched it.
True. I have told this to like 5 people. Most of the time, the show was brought up to me, in my defense. But I probably got an endorphin or two by saying I never saw it.

I love when people are dying to tell you stuff about them. It's funny because people can never tell how transparent they are. It's like most of us have blind spots and can't tell when what we are saying comes across more as posturing than wanting to share an opinion in a meaningful way.

Guys always wanna tell you when they choose to play as a girl avatar in a videogame too. Like they deserve a cookie or "Progressive Thinker" ribbon for doing so. I like to play as girl characters too sometimes, it just depends on the character I want to create. I'm just poking fun at how some people seem like they need you to know.

Also, everyone and their mother needs you to know they do yoga or meditate now. It's probably the coolest thing you can be doing in 2021, other than selfies of you protesting. Especially in Hollywood.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I was kind of disappointed. I guess I wanted a proper series episode more (and it didn't have to unravel everything, come on).
It still had its fun moments, and some emotional ones, but then it got too cringe for the most part.
Not something I'd want to watch another time.

Xenon

Not influenced... Copied ... With a couple of changes.

6 friends... 2 are related... One is flighty and ditzy but not stupid...one is heavily desired and dates wealthy men... One is kinda dumb but a good guy.. one is kind of a ladies man... one has her own business...

Not many other sitcoms have that exact arrangement.

And Friends succeeded because it was fantasy and not "more like real life"

I ain't mad at them tho

Kyle or Chandler

Similarities: Both of these characters are partially defined by their careers in successful, high-paying jobs. Chandler holds jobs in IT and later, advertising. Kyle is a stockbroker who likes to flaunt his wealth to others. Chandler is more humble but also thinks money can fix everything. Both men have a tendency for over-the-top sarcasm and a deadpan demeanor.

Could this be anymore wrong. Chandler didn't define himself by his career. It was a running joke that people had no idea what he did and it's lack of relevance. Something tells me the people making these lists know little about Friends.

Also while Living Single may have been mentioned, I think Seinfeld was more influential. Friends was that formula more balanced for a female audience.

This brings me to the biggest reason for the success of Friends, its prime slot on must see TV Thursdays on a major network. I do think the higher production quality and lighter nature were keys a well. There is just no denying the exposure that show received leading into Seinfeld.

I remember watching Living Single. But it was sporadically and I couldn't tell you what station it was even on.

If you like the show great, but the need to make it a victim of Friend's success is weird. Who knows if they were shooting for a wider audience some of the things may have changed. It might not have been the show you loved.

Last edited:

mango drank

^ Yeah, I watched some Living Single as a result of this thread, was curious if there was anything to the accusations of stealing. After 5-6 of episodes from most seasons, my impressions are that Living Single is more of a classic sitcom. It's got more cornball, cheesy humor. It feels a little more templated, like you can predict both where the overall plots will go, but also where individual gags are going--like you're being led down well-trod joke structures you've already walked. Feels similar to Fresh Prince and Wings in that regard. This isn't a bad thing. On top of that, Living Single has some genuinely funny lines every once in a while, and I'd literally LOL at these while I had it running in the background.

Friends, on the other hand, has more absurd / surreal humor, a more playful nature, more wordplay. It's more clever. The acting is better. The timing is better. The cinematography is better. It feels newer. Where Living Single feels like a show with potential struggling under the shackles of The Old Ways, Friends feels like a show where the studio gave the showrunners much more freedom to try new things and find a unique, quirky voice. So while might Friends have taken some inspiration from Living Single early on, and the studio heads at NBC might have been jealous of Living Single initially, once some of the surface similarities were copied, the shows went into different directions. Friends is a very different show from Living Single, in the end.

people just need to leave him alone.

im sure he has plenty of real life friends and close family members that are aware of his issues and are reaching out to him and making sure hes okay and helping him... plus, hes a god damn millionaire. the dude has every resource and opportunity to help himself and get clean. "fans" and the rest of the public eye need to just mind their own business and stop blowing up his spot.

i dont like friends and i dont know perry from anything other than this show, but if hes showing up drunk or hungover to this big of an event with all these people watching, then hes probably well aware of his own issues and either has them under control or doenst give a fuck. either way, everyone sharing and posting about his slurred speech and thousand yard stare arent doing so out of compassion or concern or his health, they are doing it to get views and clicks, or at the very least to have a chance to punch down at a celebrity for there vulnerabilities, likely just to make them feel better about themselves.

leave him alone, he will get help if/when he wants to get help.
The Whole Nine Yards was a great movie that Perry was in along side Bruce Willis.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Did any of them NOT do plastic surgery? What is going on with their cheeks?

This is kinda weird to look at. I mean, it's not an actual Friends episode but they're just retelling memories? I though they were doing an actual show. That would've been wild.
Yup. I have to laugh at all the comments of “the woman look the same” maybe the blonde one but holy fuck plastic galore. I love how Joey just let himself get fat.

teezzy

Banned
people just need to leave him alone.

im sure he has plenty of real life friends and close family members that are aware of his issues and are reaching out to him and making sure hes okay and helping him... plus, hes a god damn millionaire. the dude has every resource and opportunity to help himself and get clean. "fans" and the rest of the public eye need to just mind their own business and stop blowing up his spot.

i dont like friends and i dont know perry from anything other than this show, but if hes showing up drunk or hungover to this big of an event with all these people watching, then hes probably well aware of his own issues and either has them under control or doenst give a fuck. either way, everyone sharing and posting about his slurred speech and thousand yard stare arent doing so out of compassion or concern or his health, they are doing it to get views and clicks, or at the very least to have a chance to punch down at a celebrity for there vulnerabilities, likely just to make them feel better about themselves.

leave him alone, he will get help if/when he wants to get help.

Yeah you can't force it. Reminds me of Nicholas Brendon of Buffy fame

ugly-ass.jpg

Homeboy got into substance abuse and all sorta of trouble. Sought help, but straight up walked out on Dr. Phil

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
They’re saying Chanandalar Bong had emergency dental surgery before it that’s why he seemed “off”.... right.
Sounds silly, but then again, every time he was on screen I was blinded by his unnaturally white teeth. When your teeth are the whitest color in a scene, you're doing it wrong.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Only joey and phoebe aged naturally.

hsfH649.jpg

It was nice to watch. But wasn’t the event it should have been. But then again if they did a feature length episode would it have worked? It was a nice distraction and made you feel nostalgic for the show. So in that sense it did its job.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Yeah you can't force it. Reminds me of Nicholas Brendon of Buffy fame

Homeboy got into substance abuse and all sorta of trouble. Sought help, but straight up walked out on Dr. Phil

That was so sad to watch. People know nothing about what dealing with mental illness feels like.

Top Bottom