• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FromSoftware employees are not well treated. (based on decade old data)

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Found this on reddit/twitter as its slowly blowing up.

9zqhmobt27n81.png

Sources: https://careerconnection.jp/review/569991/

theres more darker stuff on that twitter feed. True or not, what do you think gaf? I know work culture in Japan is rough but is it as rough as we think or worse?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Japanese culture (I'm an expert) woefully undervalues software developers compared to the west, even when they're outputting a massively successful product. It's not a problem specific to FROM, and it's unlikely to be something that can change through western activism. The people making these brilliant games should be properly compensated and treated like the golden gods they are, but it's not a just world.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Japanese culture (I'm an expert) woefully undervalues software developers compared to the west, even when they're outputting a massively successful product. It's not a problem specific to FROM, and it's unlikely to be something that can change through western activism. The people making these brilliant games should be properly compensated and treated like the golden gods they are, but it's not a just world.

At the very least considering most japanese games have very bad level design, the people working on the souls game maps should be given a fucking statue.

Fools idol

Banned

Lol. this meme will never die. Long live.

It isn't just software devs tbh, it's a culture wide industry agnostic problem sadly. I highly doubt were getting based Elden Ring from the gulag to to speak, but it sucks it's not a better place to work

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Concern trolling bullshit at its finest.

Be honest, you really don't give a fuck.

And if by some chance you do, why do you particularly care about this group of office workers in a different country?

Just bear in mind if you want to argue that you care because they made a piece of work that you especially like, what does that say about your lack of regard for the other underpaid, overworked people in that culture? Do they not deserve your pearl-clutching because their labour doesn't benefit you in some way?

mxbison

Just bear in mind if you want to argue that you care because they made a piece of work that you especially like, what does that say about your lack of regard for the other underpaid, overworked people in that culture? Do they not deserve your pearl-clutching because their labour doesn't benefit you in some way?

Of course they do.

Every country has tons of underpaid workers and it all sucks equally. And some weirdos always defend it because it's nice to have someone to look down on.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If you (not _you_, but urinalists and people who live in twitter) only started to care about this right now then your fake ass concern tells me you're just a low-life clout chaser.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
True, but it looks like all salaries are compressed and the result is a cashier at a supermarket does not make a lot lot less than a software developer or higher ranking executive. People used to also place more emphasis on the social status of the position too.

Do we want to copy that? Maybe not, but does it help society cohesion if we can raise the minimum level and while there is a difference the salary delta between most jobs is not a high as we are used to?

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I am really hoping there is some sort of bonus scheme attached to the game's financial success.

Of course is not a long-term solution but it could be a start.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Concern trolling bullshit at its finest.

Be honest, you really don't give a fuck.

And if by some chance you do, why do you particularly care about this group of office workers in a different country?

Some of us care about devs tho. I never praise Kojima, I never Praise Sony or Microsoft, I praise the working man/woman that give us the games not the ones gaf drools about in every single thread. At the end of the day we can't really do anything can we? Stop buying the games? Then the devs suffer. Buy the games? Money goes to publisher, devs still suffer? Criticize the game with low ratings? Devs suffers again. THeres no winning for them either way. We can bring shit to light but yeah doubt anything will ever change. Maybe a little.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Animators and manga authors are pretty miserable too from what I've heard due to low pay and high stress.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Are they badly paid because are bad at programming or they are bad at programming because are badly paid?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
True, but it looks like alla salaries are compressed and the result is a cashier at a supermarket does not make a lot lot less than a software developer or higher ranking executive. People used to also place more emphasis on the social status of the position too.

Do we want to copy that? Maybe not, but does it help society cohesion if we can raise the minimum level and while there is a difference the salary delta between most jobs is not a high as we are used to?
The social cohesion can be attributed to the collectivist culture rather than salary compression specifically. Software development, as you know, is highly technical knowledge work with a large commercial upside, and as such should be well paid in any reasonable market system.

Jennings

These numbers are meaningless in a vacuum. I'd like to see how they rate vs other AA->AAA game developers experiencing explosive growth over the last ten years.

kevm3

Pretty much sounds like the game industry, which is super trash. I refuse to make any efforts on getting in the game industry.

FingerBang

The social cohesion can be attributed to the collectivist culture rather than salary compression specifically. Software development, as you know, is highly technical knowledge work with a large commercial upside, and as such should be well paid in any reasonable market system.
On top of that, most people are hired in bulk and the number of CS graduates is still low, so what happens is that after the initial training that is common to the entire company, you get assigned to a department. You could go to sales, you could go to marketing or to engineering. They basically make you a software developer from scratch, even though you studied something completely different. Your salary will be the same as everybody else.

Things have gotten better recently though. Many companies have started hiring foreigners and I've seen those salaries make big jumps. I have a friend that at 26 is making 10M yen a year as a front end developer and I was making 7M with a couple of years of experience just a few years ago.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Things have gotten better recently though. Many companies have started hiring foreigners and I've seen those salaries make big jumps. I have a friend that at 26 is making 10M yen a year as a front end developer and I was making 7M with a couple of years of experience just a few years ago.
Ah, glad to hear it.

Top Bottom