• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

<<FromSoftware's Souls-ish>> "Favourites" thread NUMBA 7 BABAY (curated poll)

Your favourite FromSoftware game...

• King's Field series

• Shadow Tower

• Eternal Ring

• Demon's Souls / Remake

• Dark Souls

• Dark Souls 2 / Scholar of the First Sin

• Dark Souls 3

• Bloodbourne

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

• Otogi: Myth of Demons

• Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tschumi

Hey again homies.

... The tale so far....
Voted best Assassin's Creed title: Assassin's Creed 2
Voted best Supergiant Games title: Hades*
Voted best Blizzard title: Diablo 2 + Expansion/Remaster
Voted best Rockstar title: Red Dead Redemption 2
Voted best Naughty Dog title: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Voted best Valve title: Half-Life 2
Voted best FromSoftware title: --
Voted best Arkane Studios title: --
Voted best Bethesda Softworks title: --
Voted best Bioware title: --
Voted best Konami title: --
Voted best Id Software title: --
Yes, I intend to make some kind of graphic for this, but probably in a later thread because I'm bust atm.

Whoo-ee, I'm going all in on trying to make people realise this is a different poll being released every few days rather than the same one they voted on just recently!
images

okay that was way too hard to find a link for
NeoGAF darlings FromSoftware, relative newcomers to the top of the gaming tier compared to some of the developers we've recently passed judgement on, After some early glimmers, such as King's Field, Shadow Tower, Eternal Ring and others which y'all may or may not tell me all about, FromSoftware and their resident savant NotHideo Miyaza*SPLAT* aaargh

giphy.gif

NeoGAF darlings FromSoftware, relative newcomers to the top of the gaming tier compared to some of the developers we've recently passed judgement on. After some early glimmers, such as King's Field, Shadow Tower, Eternal Ring and others which y'all may or may not tell me all about, FromSoftware and their resident savant NotHideo Miyazaki first cracked the hyper successful code for ridiculously challenging, hideously atmospheric games with PS3's Demon's Souls in 2009, then moved on to the Dark Souls trilogy, spawning a few alternate takes in the form of Sekiro, Bloodbourne, a goodlookin' Demon's Souls remake, and the upcoming Elden *SPLAT* aaargh

7258xSVeJbKnFEnBjWzNuq4YZxNX25E3u5YWwXrPcsivf3RVKEehuqpYCiwNkJFxwRtNgNcPZCt3uBo9FKTf23M7mMK4c9FEVw7SrzCGbr79uxcUpBpXfoU6XQuTedjZjrmq8GWQoiF8z

*narrator's voice plays as the camera pans away from my dead corpse*
Notes. On the poll.

FromSoftware have made an assload of games. And productivity software apparently. But I think we only want to do this to decide the best Soulsbourne style game. So no Armoured Core. Youtube and co have told me that two first person hack'n'slashers from deep in FromSoft's history also count as part of this lineage. So they're in there for hipsters to pick blindly and automatically. So I've curated the hell outta this poll. I've tried to do some research in case there are obscure titles from earlier in their catalogue that should be on this list, but I'll rely on you guys to fill me in if any such titles remain unacknowledged.

As usual, you can neither see votes before voting, change your vote, or hide form your vote :p

IF YOU FEEL I'VE MISSED A TITLE, DON'T VOTE UNTIL I HAVE A CHANCE TO UPDATE THE POLL WITH YOUR OPTION. Unless you're taking the piss.

*croak* stay tuned for... Arkane Studios... aaargh....

to: Voters who don't contribute to keeping the thread bumped:

5ufyve.jpg

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I'm sure Bloodborne will win this so im tempted to give my vote to either Dark Souls 1 or Sekiro. Especially Sekiro since its underrated, but im going to wait for results first.
And didnt want to necro old thread, but i voted Portal 2, even though both it and Half Life 2 are games i consider 5/5 legendary. But Portal 2 was simply my favorite, it was innovative and the puzzles were brilliant, its amazing, its pretty unique too, you dont find games like it every year. Every aspect is well made, from graphics to sounds to puzzles, gameplay and story, all fit together, total masterpiece and my game of the year for 2011.

As for this one, Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Sekiro are all amazing games.
Dark Souls is the greatest imo but it also had a flaw which is underwhelming second half, easier bosses and slower combat. It still has the most soul out of them and the one with the greatest potential and legacy.
Bloodborne is the best one, it has some flaws but they are minor, like frame-pacing, hunter tools being mostly useless, and lack of variety in builds and rpg mechanics, sure you can play mage or guns but they take away your quicksilver bullets which creates two problems, 1st is ammo, 2nd is you have to choose between the superior parry and inferior arcane magic. Anyway it still has my favorite setting by far so its an easy 5/5 masterpiece, 99% of games are flawed.
Sekiro is the most polished one, it has the best combat and the best boss fights and the best tools, its great and the setting and the story were great, its underrated lol. But its the only one that i never replayed tbh, somehow i dont find myself replaying it, it lacks that replay factor for me, no weapons to discover, builds to experiment with, and its more like rhythm, you have no stamina and weight and all those stats to play around which is not a flaw mind you, but a role playing aspect that give that replay value. The game is the smoothest though, you are mobile and controls are so good.
I'll hold my vote for now.

Last edited:
Shadow Tower Abyss was something worth checking out, I would add it to the poll even if nobody would vote for it lol

I vote OG Demon's Souls bc it was the game that made me a believer. First Person From games never truly clicked with me (I still enjoyed Eternal Ring somehow)
Also I have to say that despite being overall a game with more depth, I still think that Dark Souls is very derivative and recycles a lot of elements, patterns, ideas from Demons Souls. It's still important for sending Souls games straight into gaming hall of fame

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Definitely Sekiro. It's up there as one of my favourite action games, as well. Bloodborne is a close second and I'd rank the Dark Souls trilogy after that.

Sekiro is the game where I finally felt the "journey" aspect to Miyazaki's games and it had a big impact on me. It's a rewarding and emotional experience that I still think about time to time and find something new about. Also has the best boss design and I like that its an action game where skill matters. Need a sequel...

Of course, I think all the games are great from the ones I played.

Last edited:

tusharngf

DARK SOULS hold special position for me. I jumped into the game without knowing anything. I started from firelink shrine and kept going towards tombs and thought the game is little too hard. After several attempt i stopped going there. and turned towards underground path for blighttown. It was fun back then. Took me more than 100hrs to get the path and boss.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
When I first picked up Bloodborne I couldn’t really get into it.

Tried it again 2 years later and I could not put it down. It just clicked with me the second time and it had me scouring the internet for all the theories about the lore. The atmosphere, gameplay, level design, art design, etc.. Perfection.

One of my all time faves!

Last edited:

Tschumi

I'm sure Bloodborne will win this so im tempted to give my vote to either Dark Souls 1 or Sekiro. Especially Sekiro since its underrated, but im going to wait for results first.
And didnt want to necro old thread, but i voted Portal 2, even though both it and Half Life 2 are games i consider 5/5 legendary. But Portal 2 was simply my favorite, it was innovative and the puzzles were brilliant, its amazing, its pretty unique too, you dont find games like it every year. Every aspect is well made, from graphics to sounds to puzzles, gameplay and story, all fit together, total masterpiece and my game of the year for 2011.

As for this one, Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Sekiro are all amazing games.
Dark Souls is the greatest imo but it also had a flaw which is underwhelming second half, easier bosses and slower combat. It still has the most soul out of them and the one with the greatest potential and legacy.
Bloodborne is the best one, it has some flaws but they are minor, like frame-pacing, hunter tools being mostly useless, and lack of variety in builds and rpg mechanics, sure you can play mage or guns but they take away your quicksilver bullets which creates two problems, 1st is ammo, 2nd is you have to choose between the superior parry and inferior arcane magic. Anyway it still has my favorite setting by far so its an easy 5/5 masterpiece, 99% of games are flawed.
Sekiro is the most polished one, it has the best combat and the best boss fights and the best tools, its great and the setting and the story were great, its underrated lol. But its the only one that i never replayed tbh, somehow i dont find myself replaying it, it lacks that replay factor for me, no weapons to discover, builds to experiment with, and its more like rhythm, you have no stamina and weight and all those stats to play around which is not a flaw mind you, but a role playing aspect that give that replay value. The game is the smoothest though, you are mobile and controls are so good.
I'll hold my vote for now.
remember i've disabled the ability for you to see other votes before you vote, and you can't change ur vote, so ur gonna have to jump in :D

Little Chicken

Gold Member
Dark Souls.

I don't think I will be as awe-struck with another game as I was with Dark Souls. The way the community came together to unearth its secrets was incredible and doesn't happen often. Every step you take in Dark Souls' decaying beauty is memorable.

bender

What time is it?
With all due respect to Kings Field which I didn't play a ton of, Demon Souls will always hold a special place in my heart as it created the modern formula that I've grown to love. For that reason, I struggle to put anything else above it. Bloodborne is fucking amazing and if I were to put another game above Demon Souls, that would be it. I also love the first half to two-thirds of Dark Souls. I really enjoyed Dark Souls 3 as well as it had a high level of consistency throughout. Dark Souls 2, while the weakest entry is also good. Sekiro, with its' heavy focus on parrying, just isn't my cup of tea which is a shame since I love, love, love the setting.

Codes 208

Oh look, the best game stays winning.

Though DS3 is a very close second for me and DS:R is an absolutely beautiful game

Last edited:

Pejo

Dark Souls or Demon's Souls (original) for me. Ultimately went with Dark Souls. It was the last game that was made before the "dodge dodge dodge swing repeat" gameplay was cemented as the only way to play a souls game.

gioGAF

Demon's Souls
It started it all for me. Other games expanded and modernized it, but to this day it remains the most memorable one of them all. Everything that I love about the Souls series was already in Demon's Souls.

The soundtrack is the best. I enjoy replaying it to this day. Dark Souls 1 was close, but it falls on its face in Lost Izalith (if only they had been able to finish it). Bloodborne is also close, I'm just not a big fan of the gothic/Victorian-era aesthetic. Had it been a medieval setting with dragons and knights, I would reconsider my vote.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
agree re: difficulty, but really i dunno how anyone can fail to think Sekiro is the best... best movement, setting, graphics (imo), gameplay focuses, attention to detail, flexibility of approach, it's all freaking titanic.
Dark medieval fantasy versus the Sengoku period of ancient Japan. I think there’s a lot to consider when choosing the best.
Bloodborne carved such a masterpiece with mixing together hunting beasts and celestial creatures. I personally enjoy the corruption of the religious constructs in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, while I have to consider many other different eastern religions in Sekiro. Which is wonderful. I love Sekiro, but I’m reminded how many more choices the other two games gave me in terms of expansions, weapons, and exploration.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Demon's Souls was the first Souls game I've ever played, and as a result the one that had me hooked on the Souls formula the most.

While I love the Dark Souls IP, in my heart I'll always view it as a ripoff of DS, due to the many similarities.

I have yet to play Sekiro and Elden Ring.

Bloodborne came very close to DS and almost made me watch it as a brand new thing. Refuse to beat it until it comes back as a 4k/60 fps remaster.

As for the competitors, nothing stands out other that maybe Nioh (LotF sucked donkey dick and have to play the Surge games due to that).

DelireMan7

Dark Souls for me. I honestly think it's the perfect game. Each time I come back to it, even after 10 years, I am amazed like the first time. The world, lore, storytelling, NPC, combats, build diversity and how the gameplay mechanics are integrated to the world... Just perfection ! The only weak point is the music (and some late game areas) for me.

Close second is Bloodborne. The art design and music are just so good. Damn I have to replay it before Elden Ring ! It's a long time I didn't touched it.

Then come Dark Souls 3 and Demon's Souls.
I didn't appreciate that much my first run of Demon's Souls (played after Dark Souls) but I did a replay last year (of the original) and I really appreciate it. There is this particular atmosphere in it.
Dark Souls 3 is "grandiose". Lot of build diversity, epic music, memorable bosses fight and it nicely expand the lore of the first game which was a major flaw of Dark Souls 2 for me. I just regret the disappearance of slower gameplay option (fat rolling with ultra weapons/shield is something I miss from the first game).

Then I can't really decide between Sekiro and Dark Souls 2 for my last spot.
Dark Souls 2 is my least favorite of the Dark Souls. The color palette made it really cartoonish looking and the lore constantly play with the previous game's one but without accepting it fully. It something that really threw me off. Also the ultra weapons didn't have this weight feeling. They felt like big plastic sword to me.

Sekiro... It's not a bad game per see. But not a Souls like for me. It's an action game with strong beat'em all vibe for me. Sure the combat is flashy and looks cool but I find it quickly redundant and lacking depth (basically deflect is the way to go in 90% of the case). That being said, it's the only From Soft game I beat once and never touched again. And I have the feeling my opinion is becoming more and more negative with time. I want to make another run to reassess my position on it. I'll try before Elden Ring.

EDIT : I haven't play any other game from From Software.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Demon Souls was my pick. Such a big game for me when it came out and still the one souls game I always look back at the most fondly. It would’ve still have been my pick regardless, but had armored core been included in the voting, it would’ve been a close decision for me to make.

Bartski

Gold Member
To me what FROM does kind of functions outside the realm of "regular" videogames, it's just so hard to compare. Like I can't even pick my favorite Dark Souls out of the trilogy, I love all three and each for slightly different reasons.

I think Sekiro is Fromsoft's best game to date.

But that doesn't matter since in a poll like this there is no way I can't vote for Bloodborne. That one is simply most important, was my entry point to ARPG and literally changed my taste and perception of a lot of things gaming.

TrueLegend

I loved Sekiro most but Dark Souls II is the best From Software game. Its like original God of War II. Substance over style. As a game it reigns supreme and no amount of idiots on social media can take that away. It also has the highest metacritic score. Bloodborne is a point higher but with less reviews and then there is envolvement by Japan Studio so not exactly a pure from software game.

Top Bottom