• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

<<FromSoftware's Souls-ish>> "Favourites" thread NUMBA 7 BABAY (curated poll)

Your favourite FromSoftware game...

• King's Field series

• Shadow Tower

• Eternal Ring

• Demon's Souls / Remake

• Dark Souls

• Dark Souls 2 / Scholar of the First Sin

• Dark Souls 3

• Bloodbourne

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

• Otogi: Myth of Demons

• Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tschumi

I loved Sekiro most but Dark Souls II is the best From Software game. Its like original God of War II. Substance over style. As a game it reigns supreme and no amount of idiots on social media can take that away. It also has the highest metacritic score. Bloodborne is a point higher but with less reviews and then there is envolvement by Japan Studio so not exactly a pure from software game.
tell me about what makes DS2 so good, i'm interested in it if only because so many hate on it

GymWolf

No evergrace in the poll is a disgrace.

But from that list, bloodborne or ds1 but i have the suspect that elden ring is gonna beat both.

Sekiro is probably the one with the best gameplay.

Last edited:

Tschumi

No evergrace in the poll is a disgrace.

Orpheum

Bloodborne is and will always be the best there is. and it's beyond fucked up that they haven't yet patched it up for PS5.

Sekiro is second best

Dark Souls 1 takes the 3rd place

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Surprised myself by voted Demon's Souls considering it's the one I've now beaten 3 times thanks to the remake.

Bloodborne at 60fps would probably change that.

Unless we get Bloodborne 60 fps/PC I can;t vote for it. THe performance was garbage on og PS4 even tho it arguably has the best atmosphere. I voted instead for Sekiro cuz I played it twice on PC and the parry system in it was fucking perfect.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Dark Souls, always and forever.

Well, maybe not forever, but so far nothing managed to recapture the incredible sum of its parts that DS1 was.
The map and locations were awe-inspiring. The build possibilities, seemingly endless. The story and lore is the strongest in all the Souls series. All the wrinkles were somehow more tolerable than in DS2 and 3, which felt much less refined in spite of their improvements. Dark Souls clicked like few other games ever clicked for me. For weeks I’d restart the game over and over and play until O&S, never tiring of it, always wanting more. Meanwhile DS2 was a much rougher affair for me, and DS3 I just wanted to be over with to give the game the middle finger and never play it again.

anthony2690

Banned
I beat sekiro and dark souls 3, 3 times, I lost interest in Bloodborne quite quickly, maybe I wasn't in the mood for that kind of game at the time, as I often seen it touted as the best one.

mekes

Bloodborne! But Sekiro takes it VERY close. I just love the setting and lore of Bloodborne the most. The more I delved into the lore of Bloodborne, the more my fascination with the game grew. It doesn't hurt that Lovecraft/Cosmic horror style is already something I really enjoy. I generally love horror, probably tied for my favourite genre with sci-fi. I don't like it when questions regarding horror are easily answered and served on a plate. So that's why I love Miyazaki games. Bloodborne is just a perfect example that for me would always get at least a mention in any best game category.

And Sekiro is still amazing. I need to play that game again.

Aion002

My favorite is Bloodborne, but I will go with Demon's Souls.

Without it there would be no present From Software... Imagine a world where Ninja Blade was a success...

valley of the boom marc andreessen GIF by National Geographic Channel

K2D

Banned
Obligatory; "You spelled the best game wrong"..

Edit: Not that the other games aren't on par with Bloodborne in different ways or that Bloodborne is perfect or anything. But it trancendes artistically, and the speed feels sooo good..

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
For me it’s BB and Sekiro. I have a hard time picking between the two.

Both amazing games. I also enjoyed D1 and D3. So yeah.

Have a feeling i will love Elden Ring aswell. Can’t wait for that game.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sorry but that was Demon’s Souls. Dark Souls was the second wave.

Demon's souls was more of a niche title being a PS3 exclusive. Dark Souls took it to a whole new level in terms of mass appeal specially after the PC release.

It's like uncharted to uncharted 2.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I played and loved Demon's souls, DS 1-3, Bloodborne and Sekiro.
Sekiro was great but it's the only one i couldn't finish, much too hard for me.
Bloodborne is awesome, but i really did like Dark Souls 2 (scholar sin) even though it's supposed to be the worst one.
Can't wait to play Elden Ring :)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From doesn't use motion capture, correct? They still hand draw all the animations? Or is it a blend of both?
I honestly dont know but the animation in Sekiro looks much more exaggerated compare to games that use motion capture, so it could be hand drawn.

Last edited:

Vangellis

Love all the games on the list. I have to say this though.

Demon Souls has the best level (Tower of Latvia)
Bloodborne has the best overall atmosphere
Sekrio has the tightest and smoothest combat

Although I feel Dark Souls is the top choice. It has great atmosphere, combat, and great build variety. Best combination of all.

Loved Bloodborne, but its singular in it focus the same way Sekrio is. Dark Souls has more choice.

K2D

Banned
Loved Bloodborne, but its singular in it focus the same way Sekrio is. Dark Souls has more choice.
Would you care to clarify exactly how you see bloodborne and dark souls as being opposed in choice and focus? Are you referring to player attributes, classes, number of classes, exploration, fighting styles, environments, or what precisely..? Which do you think are better and why?

tommib

Would you care to clarify exactly how you see bloodborne and dark souls as being opposed in choice and focus? Are you referring to player attributes, classes, number of classes, exploration, fighting styles, environments, or what precisely..? Which do you think are better and why?
This sounds like a trap. I wouldn’t reply. This sounds like our team’s director when he wants to confirm how stupid someone is. Too many questions. You’re destined to fail.

YukiOnna

I would argue in Sekiro during the actual fights you have more tools to how you want to approach each fight.

Watch this video, the way this player uses Shinobi tools during boss fights is fucking epic.

I don't think it's even much of a valid criticism tbh. Dark Souls choice and weapon usage is nice, but the combat will mostly have the same strategy and the approach ends up repetitive for melee or ranged when it comes to bosses. Especially in DS1. If you're talking about the approach to enemies, then the freedom and range of choices for Sekiro is just as free in that regard. Your shinobi tools, stealth kill, combat arts, etc. are plenty of options just like the other games.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Lost Kingdom series is missing, and they are pretty great games.

My pick is the first Otogi. Loved this game from the very first second, back in the day. Yes, I was a day-one buyer of the original Xbox, and I can tell the OG Xbox years were pure bliss. Otogi was of course a highlight, next to Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Splinter Cell, Halo, the Sonic games and so many more.

It is actually one of my favorite games, and goes into the category of the ones I replay yearly.

As many of you, I have been pretty deeply captivated by the Souls series, which I began playing with the release of Demon's Souls on PS3 in its Asian version, so before most of the world even realized this thing existed. I have played pretty much all games from the genre, except Bloodborne. However, despite the fact that the series gave life to some fantasies I had for a long time (the first two Zelda games actually looked like Demon's Souls in my mind), I got bored quickly with the spamming of the new entries. And I have never been a fan of inventory and stats managements.

That's why I would pick Sekiro as a second, modern game for this pool. I really enjoyed it, completed it two times and it was very good. I like my action games simple, that's probably the conclusion.

My pick :
otogxb0f.jpg

Kokoloko85

Bloodborne. Followed closely by Dark Soul 1.
Sekiro also has one of my favourite combat systems ever and was my game of the year with Fire Emblem.

Love all the Miyazaki Souls like games. Demons Soul, Dark Soul 3 etc

Yes I dislike Dark Souls 2. Souless pile of poop that game was compared to the Miyazaki directed games

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It's hard to go back to other souls games(especially to King's Field:messenger_grinning:) after Sekiro. It's a masterpiece. Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne comes after it.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I favor Scholar of the First Sin. I enjoy the quality of customization, varied weapon class equality, magic type equality, smoother chaining of attacks in combat (relative to other Dark Souls games), and the variety and utility of various rings. I enjoy how many different routes are open to the player from the get go without following a heavily predetermined path like the rest. I enjoy how finding items for upgrading weapons doesn't feel like pulling teeth. I enjoy having the choice to dual wield weapons and equipping Gower's Ring to survive any single boss attack from behind regardless of HP. I also enjoy the bonfire ascetics, which allow the player to fight a boss again without beating the whole game.

I dislike Bloodborne's Chalice grind and linearity, but like most of the combat mechanics (albeit some collisions like the handle of a whip against a door baffle me at times). I dislike some design decisions like forcing a player to continuously enter a hub world between fast traveling and placing most of the interesting weapons late in the game with prerequisites and scaling that requires a lot of investment into a specific build.

I love Demon Souls' Boletaria level design and fighting enemies with a Dragon Longsword but have many qualms about the rest of the game.

I love the original Dark Souls after having modded it heavily (to play closer to Bloodborne) and utilizing various existing exploits on PC, but the original game is completely underwhelming for me. Even modded the number of ways to enjoy this game is heavily limited.

The only things I like about Dark Souls 3 are the rarely well implemented weapon arts and being able able to buff both weapons while dual wielding.

I dislike exclusively feudal Japan setting, exclusively Japanese weaponry, and stealth so much that I am comletely averse to playing Sekiro.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Where is Armored Core? I know the title says Souls-ish but From Software is much more than Soulsborne.

Chrome Hounds anybody?

Last edited:
I was juggling between Dark Souls 3 and BB, then I saw Sekiro and picked that immediately. Sekiro proved that Miyazaki wasn't a one-trick pony. He is a talented game developer that deserves the praise. Sekiro's third person sword combat is so satisfying. The learning curve was just right for me. Enjoyed my time with it. BB has the best lore, hands down. I love the cosmic eldritch horror setting. The choir and all that spooky nonsense is just such a mood setter. Honestly, Miyazaki is just goated.

FrankWza

I was juggling between Dark Souls 3 and BB, then I saw Sekiro and picked that immediately. Sekiro proved that Miyazaki wasn't a one-trick pony. He is a talented game developer that deserves the praise. Sekiro's third person sword combat is so satisfying. The learning curve was just right for me. Enjoyed my time with it. BB has the best lore, hands down. I love the cosmic eldritch horror setting. The choir and all that spooky nonsense is just such a mood setter. Honestly, Miyazaki is just goated.
To me it’s trying to decide between Bloodborne and the dlc vs Sekiro and the combat clankity clank. The souls games cancel each other out when you have to vote like this. This thread is a souls game disguised as a thread.

If you just take the first half of the game, Dark Souls is the best. However, the second half is some of the worst and most lazily designed areas out of all Soulsborne games.

As a whole, I put Demon's Souls and Bloodborne as the best. Dark Souks 2 is also incredibly underrated.

Top Bottom