• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FSR 2.0 to be announced soon

Xyphie

Native resolution is based on target resolution. DLSS is 1/2 resolution scale in performance mode and 2/3 in quality mode. Which would be 1080p and 1440p respectively with a 4K target resolution, or 540p and 720p with 1080p. FSR 2.0 should be around the same.

Arioco

They did not mention the native resolutions. The GDC presentation should be today, 10:30am Pacific Time, but I don't' know were to watch it.

Thanks, dude.

On previous occasions they uploaded the conference to their YouTube channel. I don't know if can be watched live, but it'll probably be available on YouTube today or tomorrow.

I'm very curious to know the details. As I said I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far, to be honest.

winjer

Gold Member
Native resolution is based on target resolution. DLSS is 1/2 resolution scale in performance mode and 2/3 in quality mode. Which would be 1080p and 1440p respectively with a 4K target resolution, or 540p and 720p with 1080p. FSR 2.0 should be around the same.

Some of those values for FSR and DLSS are incorrect
Ultra quality is 77% (only FSR 1.0)
Quality is 66%
Balanced is 59%
Performance is 50%

This means that at 4K
Ultra quality is 1663p
Quality is 1425p
Balanced is 1274p
Performance is 1080p

EDIT:
DLSS 2.3.9 has been released

Last edited:

Xyphie

Quality is 66%
Performance is 50%

This means that at 4K
Quality is 1425p
Performance is 1080p

DLSS is 1/2 resolution scale in performance mode and 2/3 in quality mode. Which would be 1080p and 1440p respectively with a 4K target resolution, or 540p and 720p with 1080p.

Exactly what I said except for a slight rounding error.

winjer

Gold Member
Exactly what I said except for a slight rounding error.

Exactly what I said, "some values" :messenger_winking_tongue:

---------------------------

Anyway, did a quick test with DLSS 2.3.9
On Supraland SIU it has eliminated all ghosting. Something that before was very bad.
From looking on other forums, this version seems to be the best so far at reducing ghosting for DLSS.

Tripolygon

Banned
This is it.

FSR 2.0
Quality Mode
DescriptionScale factorInput
resolution
Output
resolution
Quality"Quality" mode provides similar or better than native image quality with a projected significant performance gain.1.5x per dimension
(2.25x area scale)
(67% screen resolution)
1280 x 720
1706 x 960
2293 x 960
2560 x 1440
1920 x 1080
2560 x 1440
3440 x 1440
3840 x 2160
Balanced"Balanced" mode offers an ideal compromise between image quality and projected performance gains.1.7x per dimension
(2.89x area scale)
(59% screen resolution)
1129 x 635
1506 x 847
2024 x 847
2259 x 1270
1920 x 1080
2560 x 1440
3440 x 1440
3840 x 2160
Performance"Performance" mode provides image quality similar to native image quality with a projected major performance gain.2.0x per dimension
(4x area scale)
(50% screen resolution)
960 x 540
1280 x 720
1720 x 720
1920 x 1080
1920 x 1080
2560 x 1440
3440 x 1440
3840 x 2160

5Da0xpV.jpg

winjer

Gold Member

AMD Details FSR 2.0: NVIDIA GeForce 10 & Up Support, High-Quality Upscaling Without Machine Learning, More Quality Modes

Temporal

• Delivers similar or better than native image quality using temporal data.
Anti-aliasing
  • Includes high-quality anti-aliasing.
    • FSR 2.0 replaces any TAA within the game frame.
High image quality

• Higher image quality than FSR 1.0 technology at all quality presets/resolutions.
    • Different quality modes are available.
    • Dynamic Resolution Scaling supported.
No machine learning

• Does not require dedicated Machine Learning (ML) hardware.
    • More platforms can benefit.
    • Gives more control to cater to a range of different scenarios.
    • Better ability to optimize.
Cross-platform

• Boosts framerates in supported games.
    • Wide range of products and platforms, both AMD and select competitors.
Open-source
  • Will be provided on GPUOpen under an MIT license.
Supports:
  • DirectX12.
  • Vulkan (expected later)

You can download the original uncompressed PNGs (~20MB each) of the whole 4K scene, along with PNGs from another scene.
[All images ZIP – 155MB]
AMD also states that unlike FSR 1.0, FSR 2.0 is very easy to integrate within games. It is stated that games that already have temporal upscaling data in place will take literal days to add FSR 2.0 but those that don't can still take longer to integrate.

So AMD promises it's easier to implement that FSR 1.0
And that it will have plugin support for UE4.26 and 4.27. Making it even easier.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
And in the case of games with DLSS2 implemented that already have motion vectors in place, coding FSR 2.0 into them could be very easy and fast, effectively making it a "trojan horse" against proprietary solutions.

Of course they were going to make a trojan horse out of this:

According to the company, the integration for DLSS-enabled games will be the quickest, taking less than 3 days. Only games that have no decoupled display/render resolutions or motion vectors will require weeks of work to enabled FSR 2.0.

someone, just please tell me it is coming to PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. We need this shit ASAP.
You have temporal upscaling on a number of PS5 and Series games already. Not everyone was using them because only proprietary (Activision, Insomniac, etc.) or licensed (Epic UE) engines had TAAU, but AMD just made FSR 2 open source so we should count on increased adoption.

winjer

Gold Member
Of course they were going to make a trojan horse out of this:

You have temporal upscaling on a number of PS5 and Series games already. Not everyone was using them because only proprietary (Activision, Insomniac, etc.) or licensed (Epic UE) engines had TAAU, but AMD just made FSR 2 open source so we should count on increased adoption.

Not a trojan, per se.
But AMD is taking advantage of the work nVidia has done. Makes me wonder if XeSS will do the same.
I guess a dev that implements one of these techs, has most of the work done, so they might as well just implement all of them and get to all consumers.

BTW, AMD referenced that they are releasing the source code, as an MIT License Source Code. Which is pretty wide.
Compared to Intel and NVidia's close source nature, this is quite impressive. And it means any company can optimize their drivers for FSR 2.0 rather easily.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

winjer

Gold Member
This isn't just AA, there's some smart code there.

XeSS is literally made by the same developer that worked on DLSS for Nvidia.

True, Intel did poach one of the lead devs of DLSS.
But truth be told, Intel has been poaching a lot of engineers from AMD and nVidia, for their own GPU division.

Rudius

Not a trojan, per se.
But AMD is taking advantage of the work nVidia has done. Makes me wonder if XeSS will do the same.
I guess a dev that implements one of these techs, has most of the work done, so they might as well just implement all of them and get to all consumers.

BTW, AMD referenced that they are releasing the source code, as an MIT License Source Code. Which is pretty wide.
Compared to Intel and NVidia's close source nature, this is quite impressive. And it means any company can optimize their drivers for FSR 2.0 rather easily.
I wonder if FSR 2.0 can be added to games via modding.

samoilaaa

is this a big deal for consoles and if it is how will it help in the long run ? im not very good at this tech stuff

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
is this a big deal for consoles and if it is how will it help in the long run ? im not very good at this tech stuff

In theory it should let consoles run games at a lower resolution with IQ similar to a higher one, which would give them more room to push more visual effects and performance over raw pixel counts.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's not a "big deal" for consoles. Console games have been using all kinds of reconstruction techniques since 2016, this just adds another one to the list that developers can integrate into their engines. It is a bigger deal for PC games as those don't usually employ reconstruction techniques aside from DLSS which is relegated to RTX cards.

Arioco

It's not a "big deal" for consoles. Console games have been using all kinds of reconstruction techniques since 2016, this just adds another one to the list that developers can integrate into their engines. It is a bigger deal for PC games as those don't usually employ reconstruction techniques aside from DLSS which is relegated to RTX cards.

Even before that. Guerrilla used this kind of temporal upsampling in Kilzzone Shadowfall multi-player. When was that? 2013? 2014?

But those upcaling techniques are getting better, as you would expect, which is great for everyone.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It is, however looking at the video above it suggest that it still use quite a bit of bandwidth, which is problem. But maybe it will be still less than 4k native, but will see. Looks interesting, but i don't think it will work as good as DLSS, but that's obviously no go on consoles.

winjer

Gold Member

Currently, for console devs they have few options to use a high quality temporal upscaler. They can either use a game engine that already has this, like UE4 and 5. Or they can develop their own temporal upscaler.
Developing their own temporal upscaler requires am investment in time, money and requires having the people with technical expertise. A lot of studios don't have this.
By having a free option, like FSR 2.0, that can run on almost all hardware, empowers most devs to have a quality AA implementation, and a good temporal upscaler.

Running games at native 4K, on consoles is a waste of power, in hardware that has limited capabilities.
So running with an upscaler, enables devs to achieve higher frame rates and improve graphical quality on other areas.

adamsapple

It is, however looking at the video above it suggest that it still use quite a bit of bandwidth, which is problem. But maybe it will be still less than 4k native, but will see. Looks interesting, but i don't think it will work as good as DLSS, but that's obviously no go on consoles.

Of course, in the absence of dedicated tensor cores, FSR 2.0 looks like it's one of the best upscaling methods on consoles if we use that Deathloop comparison in the first posts.

M1chl

Of course, in the absence of dedicated tensor cores, FSR 2.0 looks like it's one of the best upscaling methods on consoles if we use that Deathloop comparison in the first posts.
Honestly the solution in UE5 also look cool, but obviously you can throw FSR on top of that.

adamsapple

Honestly the solution in UE5 also look cool, but obviously you can throw FSR on top of that.

Ghostwire's PC version (which runs on UE4) includes the TSR upscaling which as per DF's Alex is meant to be a UE5 feature.

The upscaling there is pretty damn decent and if it can be imported to UE4 that bodes well for the multitude of games that are still being developed on UE4.

M1chl

Ghostwire's PC version (which runs on UE4) includes the TSR upscaling which as per DF's Alex is meant to be a UE5 feature.

The upscaling there is pretty damn decent and if it can be imported to UE4 that bodes well for the multitude of games that are still being developed on UE4.
Oh didn't know that, nice

winjer

Gold Member

TSR has been available since UE4.26, released in December 2020.
Alex has very limited knowledge about UE feature set.

winjer

Gold Member
nVidia released an SDK that simplifies integrating DLSS, XESS and FSR 2.0, all at the same time.
This is probably going to help having all these upscaling solutions on most games, from now on.

Simplify integration with the new NVIDIA Streamline

Streamline_Diagram-625x415.png

Since NVIDIA Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) launched in 2019, a variety of super-resolution technologies have shipped from both hardware vendors and engine providers. To support these various technologies, game developers have had to integrate multiple SDKs, often with varying integration points and compatibility.

Today NVIDIA is releasing Streamline, an open-source cross-IHV framework that aims to simplify integration of multiple super-resolution technologies and other graphics effects in games and applications.

Streamline offers a single integration with a plug-and-play framework. It sits between the game and render API, and abstracts the SDK-specific API calls into an easy-to-use Streamline framework. Instead of manually integrating each SDK, developers simply identify which resources (motion vectors, depth, etc) are required for the target super-resolution plug-ins and then set where they want the plug-ins to run in their graphics pipeline. The framework is also extensible beyond super-resolution SDKs, with developers able to add NVIDIA Real-time Denoisers (NRD) to their games via Streamline. Making multiple technologies easier for developers to integrate, Streamline benefits gamers with more technologies in more games.

The Streamline SDK is available today on Github with support for NVIDIA DLSS and Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing. NVIDIA Image Scaling support is also coming soon. Streamline is open source and hardware vendors can create their own specific plug-ins. For instance, Intel is working on Streamline support for XeSS.

And also, SDKs to make it easier to implement RTX with with Kickstart RT and Enhanced RTX SDKs for open-world games

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
I'd like to know if it's feasible on console in games as Dying Light 2 and Guardians of Galaxy. Would be a great option.

adamsapple

00_Zer0

nVidia released an SDK that simplifies integrating DLSS, XESS and FSR 2.0, all at the same time.
This is probably going to help having all these upscaling solutions on most games, from now on.

Simplify integration with the new NVIDIA Streamline

Streamline_Diagram-625x415.png

And also, SDKs to make it easier to implement RTX with with Kickstart RT and Enhanced RTX SDKs for open-world games
Good on Nvidia. I like the idea that with Nvidia cards you get to take advantage of all the competitions technologies, along with DLSS and raytracing on their newsest cards. I just hate the idea that top dog Nvidia is pricier, and their TDP is out of control.

One very simple but revelatory example. Juste compare in-house reconstruction tech used in Red dead redemption 2 on Pro vs GTA5 on PS5. Same company and results are very different.

manfestival

ezgif-4-2867e42bdef5k9m.gif

Pretty good, I can hardly note any difference in IQ except the text at the bottom left on the gravestone looking thing.
Native looks sharper to me. Not liking the soft look of FSR 2.0. The most important thing is how this looks in movement. Though I will say that this appears fine in a preliminary sense.

winjer

Gold Member
AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 to launch on May 12 with Deathloop, 10 more games planned

AMD FSR 2.0 enablement will begin with a game from Akane Studios, Deathloop, which is to receive an update on May 12th. This would therefore be the official launch date of FSR 2.0 technology.

The company has already provided a lot of details on its FSR 2.0 technology in late March. This included a confirmation that FSR2 will require more powerful hardware, such as AMD Polaris or NVIDIA Pascal. This of course also means is that FSR 2.0 will work on NVIDIA GPUs.

Today AMD confirmed that the following games will receive FSR 2.0 update:

1. DEATHLOOP
  2. Asterigos, Delysium
  3. EVE Online
  4. Farming Simulator 22
  5. Forspoken
  6. Grounded
  7. Microsoft Flight Simulator
  8. NiShuiHan
  9. Perfect World Remake
  10. Swordsman Remake
  11. Unknown 9: Awakening
AMD has said that FSR2.0 will require at least 3 days to implement for games that already support NVIDIA DLSS technology. The competing upscaling technique is supported by more than 150 titles.

Just 2 days left to wait for it's release.

Top Bottom