• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck the Dawnguard. (Skyrim DLC)

Xenon

So I'm one of the fools that purchased the Anniversary update for Skyrim. I know that most of the content can be easily installed as mods I just never really wanted to deal with that, and I didn't want to disable achievements. Anyways....

I have really been enjoying playing the game again with Survival mode, Camping, backpacks etc. I had just returned back to Riverwood after exploring for a while, and I was greated by one of the Dawngaurd to enlist my help. That's when all that that implies hit me like an arrow to the knee.

For those who are not familiar with the DLC, at around level 8 to 10 the dawn guard quest kicks in and vampires start attacking all your towns. The problem is they can actually kill shop owners and quest givers. Essentially they can fuck up your game royally. The only way to stop this is either with the mod or you can complete the quest which can take 8+ hours. Also its recommended to avoid the contamination completely, you search up the Dawnguard by level 7 and not level up until it's complete to avoid any NPCs getting killed by team vampire.

I think what I might do is end up turning off survival, setting it to easy and whip through the mission. It's pathetic that you can't turn this shit off.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Survival mode option
If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

That is its job. You go the game with hard mode, you deal with consequences. Skyrim is realism game, aside of those useless animation. The fact they can kill those people, makes it more beautiful.

Turning these options on and off ruins the immersion. You either all IN, or you coward and leave that setting. There is no reason for them to turn off that setting.

Last edited:

Xenon

Survival mode option
If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

That is its job. You go the game with hard mode, you deal with consequences. Skyrim is realism game, aside of those useless animation. The fact they can kill those people, makes it more beautiful.

Turning these options on and off ruins the immersion. You either all IN, or you coward and leave that setting. There is no reason for them to turn off that setting.

Right there with you. Hell I even kept playing as an Argonian even after I found out what a pain in the ass the modifier for cold was going to be.

I remember installing a mod where all towns people run in doors if Dragons or vampires attack.
Arthmoor - Was "When Vampires Attack" been rolled into "Run For Your Lives"

Last edited:
The worst thing about the Dawnguard expansion is that it break wolf howls. There is a typo in the script file that prevents wolves from howling. This bug has existed since Dawnguard release and never been fixed over the past 10 years.

It's pathetic that you can't turn this shit off.
It’s doubly frustrating considering there is a DLC menu which allowed toggling each add on individually, but the toggles are disabled for no reason.

Mr Branding

Yeah, pretty annoying but I somehow avoided this by joining the vampires and doing a quest for them. I am at the find the priest in Dragon Bridge quest, cured my vampirism and started doing other shit within the game world and the only random event I get is being attacked by one melee dawnguard and two crossbow guys every once in a while.
What I find hilarious is that city guards don’t intervene but run away from the conflict instead.

Last edited:

playXray

So I'm one of the fools that purchased the Anniversary update for Skyrim. I know that most of the content can be easily installed as mods I just never really wanted to deal with that, and I didn't want to disable achievements. Anyways....

I have really been enjoying playing the game again with Survival mode, Camping, backpacks etc. I had just returned back to Riverwood after exploring for a while, and I was greated by one of the Dawngaurd to enlist my help. That's when all that that implies hit me like an arrow to the knee.

For those who are not familiar with the DLC, at around level 8 to 10 the dawn guard quest kicks in and vampires start attacking all your towns. The problem is they can actually kill shop owners and quest givers. Essentially they can fuck up your game royally. The only way to stop this is either with the mod or you can complete the quest which can take 8+ hours. Also its recommended to avoid the contamination completely, you search up the Dawnguard by level 7 and not level up until it's complete to avoid any NPCs getting killed by team vampire.

I think what I might do is end up turning off survival, setting it to easy and whip through the mission. It's pathetic that you can't turn this shit off.
This has been patched out hasn’t it? It was such a pain in the arse that they removed it in one of the Special Edition patches. It’s not happened for me in my latest playthrough.

This has been patched out hasn’t it? It was such a pain in the arse that they removed it in one of the Special Edition patches. It’s not happened for me in my latest playthrough.

Yeah the random vampire attacks on towns were disabled in one of the first SE patches.

Mr Moose

the vampire attacks in towns have been patched out dude , the hell are you talking about?
I've been attacked by 3 vampires when fast travelling to towns at least twice, is it when you aren't in the towns the attacks used to occur? Just got the bow but I am a vampire and they won't let me continue with the quest until I get cured :messenger_weary:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I've been attacked by 3 vampires when fast travelling to towns at least twice, is it when you aren't in the towns the attacks used to occur? Just got the bow but I am a vampire and they won't let me continue with the quest until I get cured :messenger_weary:
it used to occur after dusk with or without fast travel , would result in a random civilian or shop owner getting killed sometimes , but they patched it out back in skyrim special edition , you may still encounter a lone vampire in town who attacks you though

Saber

Gold Member

I feel your pain.

When I started playing this game long ago, this happened to me.
Vampires killed a total of 5 vendors, including blacksmiths. I didn't knew at time this was permanent, I though they would all respawn. My main save suffered alot because of that, specially bugs. Includes also permanent bugs like being impossible to get master healing spells, lost of a Dragon Lord mask by a maneqinn, item suddenly getting tagged as stolen, etc.

Kev Kev

Sheesh what a pain in the ass. I’m playing the PSVR version now and I don’t think any DLC is included in that so I should be good. That would be incredibly annoying tho. Thanks for the heads up, in case I ever do play through Dawnguard.

Kev Kev

The PSVR version has all of the expansions too.
FUUUUUUUUCK

how have I avoided all this time tho? I’ve got like 3 saves with 150+ hours in each?

I never interact with vampires and I’ve never initiated the Dawnguard DLC, I fact I usually avoid talking to anyone because I understand the woes of starting a quest path you don’t want to start yet (I haven’t even initiated dragons yet because I prefer to do them towards the endgame so I don’t have to fight them so much in the wild).

I guess you have to at least initiate the Dawnguard quest for this kind of thing to happen?

How do I make sure to avoid what OP is going through?

FUUUUUUUUCK

how have I avoided all this time tho? I’ve got like 3 saves with 150+ hours in each?

I never interact with vampires and I’ve never initiated the Dawnguard DLC, I fact I usually avoid talking to anyone because I understand the woes of starting a quest path you don’t want to start yet (I haven’t even initiated dragons yet because I prefer to do them towards the endgame so I don’t have to fight them so much in the wild).

I guess you have to at least initiate the Dawnguard quest for this kind of thing to happen?

How do I make sure to avoid what OP is going through?

You can get a few vampires out in the wild, but the vampire attacks in towns will basically just be one vampire that won’t attack until you get near them, so they really aren’t the huge problem they used to be. Dragons are by far more dangerous to townsfolk, but in general avoiding deaths is just saving often and doing things like fast traveling to the stables instead of straight into town.

Laptop1991

it used to occur after dusk with or without fast travel , would result in a random civilian or shop owner getting killed sometimes , but they patched it out back in skyrim special edition , you may still encounter a lone vampire in town who attacks you though

I've just completed Dawnguard, and i haven't played it since the LE days, i was expecting the attacks and i didn't get one lol, i wondered what happened to them, thought it was a bug that helps for a change.

Nickolaidas

I think every single Skyrim version (PS5, XSX, PC) now has mods which protects all NPCs from random deaths. Making your NPCs good vs dragon attacks and vampire attacks altogether.

Frankly, I think every Bethesda RPG should have "Protected NPCs" as a gameplay option in all their games, especially if they plan on programming NPCs to have random daily schedules and the player doesn't WANT to end up with a ghost town after a random attack or two (or the opposite, in case they just want to kill all NPCs themselves if they plan on being an evil protagonist).

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You can get a few vampires out in the wild, but the vampire attacks in towns will basically just be one vampire that won’t attack until you get near them, so they really aren’t the huge problem they used to be. Dragons are by far more dangerous to townsfolk, but in general avoiding deaths is just saving often and doing things like fast traveling to the stables instead of straight into town.

Not sure about this since first timers will be facing vampires without knowing this until they get near them. Also, Dragons suddenly respawns when the game notice you are either fast traveling alot or weren't facing dragons for a long time, which can be extremelly dangerous as they could spawn not so near at the town and you won't be notice when entering a city, making it entering in towns by following the player.

Anyway, saving often is just a remedy. They will face dragons regardless of saving often or not and they will eventually kill npcs since dragons have pretty retarded attacking patterns and changes target quite easly. And one breath is enought to kill a civilian npc since they are very low level.

Xenon

This has been patched out hasn’t it? It was such a pain in the arse that they removed it in one of the Special Edition patches. It’s not happened for me in latest playthrough.

That's great news. I searched and couldn't find anything on it. Did the Dawnguard still approach you to join them?

daveonezero

Banned
I just stared on my first play through on Switch and lvl 15. they have come to recruit me but that’s it. Sounds like it isn’t an issue anymore.

I’m liking it. Hopefully they add survival but if not it’s an interesting game when you don’t know much and sort of start the role play.

running around with Lydia and a dog is cool when difficulty is up on adept.

playXray

That's great news. I searched and couldn't find anything on it. Did the Dawnguard still approach you to join them?
There’s not much in the way of official announcements, but lots of threads talking about it:

They did still approach me to join, but that’s all.

I didn’t “upgrade” to the AE, but I was really hoping the X/S update would increase the storage available for non CC mods, but no it’s still at 5gb. And even then I have 50mb left and it won’t let me install anything over 15.

I really don’t understand why they haven’t increased the amount of mods you can download and it really seems like a tactic to get you to buy Creation Club shit since that doesn’t count in the same storage as the non paid mods.

Also went to Walmart yesterday and saw Skyrim SE for $16 and the AE for $41; I hope not too many people are getting ripped off not realizing they’re practically the same thing.

Top Bottom