• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funerals In The Time Of Covid

Anyone been to any funerals lately? I just came back from a funeral for my Bubby/grandmother this morning and the experience was less pleasant than usual. It had to be a roadside funeral in the cemetary. A few days before we had to email the funeral home a form that said we weren't experiencing symptoms of covid, hadn't been travelling in the past 14 days etc... We also had to bring masks and the like.

So we get there, have to talk to the bouncer to see if our name is on the list, then answer a few questions that were pretty much answered in the form we filled out. They tell us where to drive and we head over. We had to stay in our cars until the funeral started, a lady came by our cars and gave us disposable gloves and hand sanitizer. Funeral starts and everyone has masks on, it's hard to hear a damn thing. They asked for the pall bearers to step forward (me) and I didn't hear it so that was a bit awkward. Grab the casket, head over to the site and all that stuff. Then we spread out a bit while the rabbi does a mini speech but he's super old and wearing a mask so he's hard to hear, not to mention it is windy out and the wind is blowing through the trees, birds are chirping and there's still traffic nearby so we can hear cars, horns etc... Which of course is making it even harder to hear so I doubt most of us heard anything. Funeral ends and they ask us to leave quickly as there is another funeral happening right after (they weren't kidding either, as we were driving out there were cars lining up for another one). Whole thing was about 30 minutes, not an ideal way to say goodbye to someone. There was a lot of Jew humour in the whole absurdity of the situation so that's kind of a silver lining.

I would recommend you tell your family and friends not to die right now as they won't be getting the send off they deserve. Has anyone had similar experiences? I am curious to hear about other people's stories right now, the whole situation is just so strange.

Celcius

°Temp. member
My aunt died like 3 weeks ago. I didn’t go due to COVID 19 but 2 people from my immediate family went and wore masks. Inside the church they spread out and limited the number of people inside. They said some folks still tried to give hugs but they had to say “hold up COVID is real.“

Except for immediate family members I haven’t seen any family in months, so yeah it’s not an ideal time for funerals.

Last edited:
Ok so here’s my experience with this shit. My dad passed away on 4/1/20 (April fucking fools!) and I had to scramble to set up funeral and burial arrangements. This was in the great state of New York. My advice for you: don’t make a big deal of this. Accept the fact that you will have a small burial with a proper memorial at some point in the fall or winter when you can do a full ceremony with family and friends. Don’t do a religious service right now. You probably can’t right now anyway. Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Ok so here’s my experience with this shit. My dad passed away on 4/1/20 (April fucking fools!) and I had to scramble to set up funeral and burial arrangements. This was in the great state of New York. My advice for you: don’t make a big deal of this. Accept the fact that you will have a small burial with a proper memorial at some point in the fall or winter when you can do a full ceremony with family and friends. Don’t do a religious service right now. You probably can’t right now anyway. Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

Yeah, what's done is done, I won't be losing sleep over this. It's just really awful that people need support from each other to get through a loss and they are being denied that due to the current situation. I'm sorry if it your loss as well, I couldn't imagine having to give my parents the funeral I saw today.

Fuck off, I don't owe you anything and I don't care about what you think.

Actuallg depending on your demographic you might owe we quite a bit and you haven’t yet earned the right to be nonchalant about things, have you sweetheart? I think you know that you haven’t.... good try you little man.

lock2k

Banned
Actuallg depending on your demographic you might owe we quite a bit and you haven’t yet earned the right to be nonchalant about things, have you sweetheart? I think you know that you haven’t.... good try you little man.
WTF are you talking about? Drugs are bad m'kay?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
there was a suicide in my friend and family network over the lock, well wishes is the best i could offer

i don't really do funerals tho, better to celebrate lives while they are still around

Last edited:
Top Bottom