• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-SYNC ISSUES with GAMEPASS games on PC

Banned
So, I noticed this more and more lately, that games I play on GamePass on PC will give me issues with Gsync.

Basically what will happen is that G-sync just completely refuses to work with anything that is a GamePass title, UNLESS I reboot my PC...
sometimes it will work right away, but just now again, I had to reboot my PC to get Gsync to work with Ghostwire Tokyo.
The same happened when I tested Warhammer Darktide, and when I played through High on Life.

Meanwhile, I can launch any other title, let's say DOOM RTX, that I have installed, and Gsync will work just fine on those...
it seems to only be related to GamePass games, and a reboot of the PC will ALWAYS fix it.

This is such a strange issue, and I have no idea what could be the issue behind it either...
I even tried turning Gsync off and on again, but that also doesn't do anything, I simply have to do a full reboot and it works each time.

I also already tried Nvidia Profile Inspector, which apparently helped some people, but did nothing for me.

TLDR:
1: Gsync often doesn't work when I play Gamepass games
2: It will work fine if I start a different non-Gamepass game right after
3: Rebooting my PC ALWAYS fixes the issue
4: Disabling and Re-Enabling G-sync doesn't work, neither does toggling on/off windowed G-sync support.
5: Nvidia Profile Inspector didn't help either

Anyone any idea how to fix this? Is this a known issue?

Buggy Loop

PC Xbox app

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

After those reports that it eats away at the SSD capacity and you have no way to recover unless you reformat, i just uninstalled that shit and never looked back.

I sometimes lose GSync completely and it falls back to HDMI VRR which is kinda naff (anything below 48hz causes flickering) I fixed it by downloading the CRU tool as it has a programme to reset the graphics driver when I lose GSync. Might be worth a shot as it'll save restarting the PC at least if it's works

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The Xbox app isn’t that bad. It’s not games for windows was. I use it because I can share saves across my pc and Xbox.

Why it would be any different concerning gsync? Idk 🤷‍♂️

PC Xbox app

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

After those reports that it eats away at the SSD capacity and you have no way to recover unless you reformat, i just uninstalled that shit and never looked back.
I have this exact issue and have multiple times in the past…

I’ve currently lost about 160gb on my 1TB drive which is ridiculous. If it wasn’t for Forza I wouldn’t need it at all but I bought it on Xbox so I could play on either platform.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I still can't wrap my head around why microsoft, after decades of normal install game/app decided to change it all up with this UWP crap.
Gamepass games havent been UWP since 2019.
They are all now normal Win32 games.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I use Freesync Premium on my TV, no issues so far, then again I don't go bellow 50 fps basically ever

I still can't wrap my head around why microsoft, after decades of normal install game/app decided to change it all up with this UWP crap.
They fell in love with Apple total control of their app store and wanted to get the same... Dumb for us, maybe not for them... Thankfully they already rolled back their decision on Xbox app at least, for future games.

Kuranghi

Does it fix it without rebooting if you toggle HDR on and off on the desktop?

I use Freesync Premium on my TV, no issues so far, then again I don't go bellow 50 fps basically ever

I don't have firsthand experience but afaik Freesync Premium has LFC anyway, so shouldn't tear/stutter until much lower than 48/50. G-sync is not required to have that lower fps range.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned

I’ve currently lost about 160gb on my 1TB drive which is ridiculous. If it wasn’t for Forza I wouldn’t need it at all but I bought it on Xbox so I could play on either platform.
You need to reset your system to get those gb back again.

feynoob

Banned
01011001 01011001
try these steps. Maybe some of those can help you.
  1. Update your graphics card drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed. You can usually download them from the manufacturer's website.
  2. Disable V-Sync: In some cases, V-Sync can interfere with G-SYNC, so try disabling V-Sync in the game settings.
  3. Enable G-SYNC in NVIDIA Control Panel: Make sure G-SYNC is enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel. To do this, right-click on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel." Then, navigate to "Display" > "Set up G-SYNC" and make sure the "Enable G-SYNC" box is checked.
  4. Disable Game Mode in Windows 10: Game Mode can interfere with G-SYNC, so try disabling it in Windows 10. To do this, go to "Settings" > "Gaming" > "Game Mode" and toggle the switch to "Off."
  5. Check game compatibility: Some games may not be fully compatible with G-SYNC, so check the game's official website or forums to see if there are any known issues or workarounds.

Buggy Loop

How do you play Gamepass games on PC then? :pie_thinking:

I don’t

Bought HiFi rush on steam. When an Xbox games interest me enough, I buy it.

I have enough of a backlog already that adding a gamepass where I’m in front of a tsunami of games is not worth it for the money I would be losing and the stress of not knowing what to play. Steam library is already guilting me enough.

I did the 2 years worth of cheap PC gamepass when it was on beta and I probably lost a good 75% of it by simply not using it. I didn’t renew when it the subscription ended.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

I don't have firsthand experience but afaik Freesync Premium has LFC anyway, so shouldn't tear/stutter until much lower than 48/50. G-sync is not required to have that lower fps range.
I'm on a Samsung QN90B and supposedly this TV can go bellow 20Hz with VRR active, I've tried some games at 30 fps just to push graphics making tests and seems very smooth so far, at least as much a 30 fps should, without microstutters or tearing.

I'm talking about Game Pass games, so isn't it a Gsync specs limitation? Like, as it can't keep with that low FPS so it switches to the standard that actually can.

Maybe a driver issue? IDK, I've played smoothly so far with Freesync Premium on Game Pass.

Banned
PC Xbox app

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

doesn't happen anymore, games are now installed in more or less normal folders, the only difference being that the .exe files are often protected from other programs, meaning adding them to steam is a complicated mess.

Banned

I don't use HDR so I can't even toggle it on.

I sometimes lose GSync completely and it falls back to HDMI VRR which is kinda naff (anything below 48hz causes flickering) I fixed it by downloading the CRU tool as it has a programme to reset the graphics driver when I lose GSync. Might be worth a shot as it'll save restarting the PC at least if it's works

I'm on a PC monitor. so not my problem, also it's only happening with Gamepass games, not any other app, nor even the Xbox app itself (which is easy to tell if you have gsync on for windows programms lol)

What’s the cru program called and setting?

Kuranghi

I don't use HDR so I can't even toggle it on.
Ah fair enough, I was trying to get the TV to re-handshake with the TV to see if that helps without restarting. You could achieve the same result by replugging the HDMI but it's not adviseable while it's powered, it will damage the ports.

What about if you change your bit depth or refresh rate and then back to previous?

Banned
Ah fair enough, I was trying to get the TV to re-handshake with the TV to see if that helps without restarting. You could achieve the same result by replugging the HDMI but it's not adviseable while it's powered, it will damage the ports.

What about if you change your bit depth or refresh rate and then back to previous?

I don't think it has anything to do with that. read my original post. it's exclusively happening with gamepass games, and without changing anything every other game still works.
like right just before I made this thread, I started Ghostwire, no Gsync... judder everywhere, locked 144hz... I turn the game off, start Doom RTX (first thing I saw on my desktop) and Gsync works flawlessly, I start Ghostwire again... Gsync stops working... I click on the Xbox app, Gsync (windowed sync enabled) kicks in immediatly because the Xbox app runs at 60fps or something, so my screen instantly goes down to 60hz once the window of the Xbox app is in focus.

so Gsync works perfectly fine with literally anything else, but not Gamepass games... then I reboot and Gamepass games suddenly work

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I thought some games are still uwp.
good to know
I dunno about any legacy titles that might not have been updated.
But the whole UWP program was scrapped.
Everything you get off the windows store now is Win32.
Some games still exhibit what used to be tell tale signs of UWP such as not having exclusive fullscreen modes, but thats just devs being weird.

Kataploom

Gold Member

It's annoying, but a good workaround is having the games installed on an exclusive partition or drive so if you forget to uninstall your games when reinstalling Windows, you just wipe them

Banned
so what apparently CAN work, and has worked for me just now, is to start a different Gamepass game, and it will sometimes fix the issue... wtf is going on? :messenger_loudly_crying:
why does the Windows store have to be like this?

Banned
01011001 01011001
try these steps. Maybe some of those can help you.
  1. Update your graphics card drivers: Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed. You can usually download them from the manufacturer's website.
  2. Disable V-Sync: In some cases, V-Sync can interfere with G-SYNC, so try disabling V-Sync in the game settings.
  3. Enable G-SYNC in NVIDIA Control Panel: Make sure G-SYNC is enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel. To do this, right-click on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel." Then, navigate to "Display" > "Set up G-SYNC" and make sure the "Enable G-SYNC" box is checked.
  4. Disable Game Mode in Windows 10: Game Mode can interfere with G-SYNC, so try disabling it in Windows 10. To do this, go to "Settings" > "Gaming" > "Game Mode" and toggle the switch to "Off."
  5. Check game compatibility: Some games may not be fully compatible with G-SYNC, so check the game's official website or forums to see if there are any known issues or workarounds.

did you ask Bing or something to get this list? lol...
none of these are relevant sadly.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I haven't had such a problem. Although I am usually very sensitive about this, I may not have noticed.
Me neither. I use GP on PC on a daily basis and I cant't remember last time I had issues (as opposed to in the past when it actually was bad).

Chatgpt.
Bing is still stuck in last gen.
Sounds like it's you that is stuck somewhere because Bing has now both openai chatgpt AND Dall-e integration. The funny thing is, Bing is now trendy, and google search is suddenly left behind, who the fuck would've thought that just a short time ago.

Last edited:
What’s the cru program called and setting?

It's called Custom Resolution Utility, mainly used for setting custom resolutions that don't show up because of the displays EDID. What you really need tho is a programme called Restart64 within the CRU folder once extracted. Double click that and it will restart the graphics driver, sometimes my TV loses the GPU in source info and when it does GSync goes too and this restart fixes that.

Banned
Some games still exhibit what used to be tell tale signs of UWP such as not having exclusive fullscreen modes, but thats just devs being weird.

DX12 games do not have exclusive full screen in general.
what you see there is a new windowed full screen mode that behaves more similar to exclusive full screen, but technically isn't the same thing.

you can tell by pressing your windows key, if the task bar gets just overlayed over the game you play, it's not actually exclusive full screen.

the advantages of this "new" fullscreen mode that DX12 games have over windowed fullscreen is that they can change your output resolution like an exclusive fullscreen would be able to, among other small things

Last edited:
Windows Store is trash, UWP is trash, PC Gamepass isn't worth it. Just use Steam and buy games on sale, you'll be much happier than putting up with Netflix for gaming.

Banned
Windows Store is trash, UWP is trash, PC Gamepass isn't worth it. Just use Steam and buy games on sale, you'll be much happier than putting up with Netflix for gaming.

1: UWP isn't used anymore
2: I have gamepass ultimate mainly for Xbox Gamepass and XBL Gold.
3: no thanks, Gampass is worth it :)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Just boot an Ubuntu Try and delete the game folder...

Top Bottom