• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 is back

Krathoon

I think the hosts on G4 are starting to hate Twitch and YouTube chat. The guys on the retro gaming show will call people out on chat.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I miss the TechTV days the Cat Schwartz 'incident' was epic!

I stopped watching around the time that the merge with G4 happened and it was "G4techTV" for a while

AJUMP23

Gold Member
That monstrous second wife of his ruined him.

GqY5tj4.jpg
Know nothing of his personal life just know he changed and it wasn’t good.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I miss the TechTV days the Cat Schwartz 'incident' was epic!

I stopped watching around the time that the merge with G4 happened and it was "G4techTV" for a while
People need to learn how to ignore the chat. I stopped listening to woolie and pats castle super beast podcast because they would record live on twitch and get into arguments with the chat constantly

Krathoon

People keep asking "Where is Oliva Munn?" in chat. They even made fun of it where Kevin said she is currently pregnant.

Umbasaborne

Banned
People keep asking "Where is Oliva Munn?" in chat. They even made fun of it where Kevin said she is currently pregnant.
Shes also like, way too famous to keep doing g4.
Id be shocked if they got her back for anything more than the occasional video cameo.

edit: her last movie was a direct to vod low budget action film that had that throw away villain from captain america as the lead protagonist. So i take that back, maybe not “tooo” famous.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I tried to watch their launch. I was cringing so hard I had to turn it off after 60 minutes.

Krathoon

Right now. G4 is kind of low budget. Hopefully, their production values will improve.

It is like they have 4 sets right now.

GreatnessRD

Son, I did not know Olivia Munn was really wilding on G4. She came after my time since I stopped after Morgan Webb, lmao.

Give established youtubers a show...give ACG a review show alongside sessler, or Vatividya a narrative lore show...G4 established some great style alot of content creator use. So instead of doing what worked in 2008 use what works in 2021.

Krathoon

Apparently Microsoft is sponsoring G4. They have been offering Halo Infinite stuff.

They have also been drinking allot of Dr. Pepper.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I don't know. They are talking about their careers right now. I don't want to hear that shit.

God. These people are so up their own asses.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Adam Sessler drops leftist zingers in his reviews now. It’s soooo bad. Lol

They also split up their reviews between a white man, a womxn and black dude so it’s perfectly diverse.
Sad. Just goes to show, some things are better left dead and buried.

Sarah Lane was the GOAT. She seemed down to earth, cool, and was pretty funny. Once she left they went for pure attractiveness and that was that.

I don't see how it's going to survive, everything they did on the show was stuff you can just google online and get better versions of it in seconds.

Chris Gore's DVD reviews. Random somebody's tech reviews. X-Play's game reviews. And "web hits" which was basically showing you memes and video clips that already circulated on the internet two days before.
Seems like they're going for the streaming personality angle and using their budget to add a bit of pizzazz and higher production values to it. Which, honestly, could work out in the long-term, as long as the personalities seem genuine and interesting.

The new personalities (aside those I've already seen streaming in some other capacity, like Olivee and Xavier Woods) have definitely grown on me, some more than others but overall they feel good. It'd be cool if guys like Xavier could pull in some OG wrestlers like Stone Cold, Booker T, Hulk Hogan, Kane etc. to do specials like playing some of the '90s/early '00s WWF/WWE wrestling games together on a stream for example.

Adam Sessler drops leftist zingers in his reviews now. It’s soooo bad. Lol

They also split up their reviews between a white man, a womxn and black dude so it’s perfectly diverse.

So you're saying they should've just picked a line-up of white guys instead of picking people on individual merit? Have you even watched any of the new G4? From what I've seen there aren't any political slants or agendas being pushed. As for the Adam Sessler stuff well I guess it comes down to what you'd consider a "leftist zinger" and what context it's used in.

Believe it or not you can have a quality product that also happens to be naturally diverse.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I like X-Play's new review / discussion format. Sessler offers his opinions, one of the young new hosts cuts in and shares theirs, and then everyone discusses it. It seems like the producers (which includes Sess) learned a lot by listening to engaging podcasts in the years between G4 going off the air and its rebirth.

It's weird to me how many of these new G4 members use their streamer names, but hey, gotta make way for the next generation and their ways I guess.

Kevin Pereira still has it. Can still improv and save the dying bits of others. It's a shame they couldn't find a proper co host for him and AotS, as it's obvious these kids are having a tough time keeping up with him and aren't witty enough for that kind of live show.

Krathoon

They are talking about themselves right now. It is a total wankfest.

Don't do that. That is not content.

Last edited:
Kevin Pereira still has it. Can still improv and save the dying bits of others. It's a shame they couldn't find a proper co host for him and AotS, as it's obvious these kids are having a tough time keeping up with him and aren't witty enough for that kind of live show.

I think a proper co-host for AotS will still take a bit of time, it could be among the ones that've done it so far but they just might have to adjust a few things. That said you're right, Kevin's still excellent, still has all the chops. I know there was some drama over the NFT segment but the way he just rolled along with that, even if he was legit salty, was hilarious. Takes a special knack to pull that off.

Kacho

So you're saying they should've just picked a line-up of white guys instead of picking people on individual merit? Have you even watched any of the new G4? From what I've seen there aren't any political slants or agendas being pushed.

Believe it or not you can have a quality product that also happens to be naturally diverse.
No, I'm saying their individual reviews didn't need a bunch of random people forced into them. It's pure bloat.

I also wouldn't call anything about the new G4 natural, which is why I won't sub or consume their content on the regular.

Malakhov

Banned
No it's not back, Sessler pretends to be hard hitting but ends up being just as toothless a whore as any other mainstream review padder.

This is all G4 was... see what this talentless hack would lick or deep throat.

hot dog GIF
I can't stop watching this for some reason. Is this a tv show...

Isa

I don't know man, I just can't support G4. There was some decent at times but for me Sessler and even Webb pissed my Sister and I off on so many occasions. Its like we're polar opposites to us in terms of taste and appreciation. Plus I'd never watch a cable tv channel anymore, much less a Youtube one of theirs.

I have much more fondness for The Electric Playground with Victor Lucas and Tommy Tallarico. They covered more content and were much more open minded and fair critics, say if a genre didn't suite them they would still rate it fairly and mentioned how they felt, including respect for the effort and quality put into said titles. Nowadays we're spoilt for choice so I don't see how I'd need another thing like this in my life. So many better sources that are far more knowledgeable and straight to the point on topics I care about not being presented in an obnoxious tweaker aesthetic.

Don't let my opinion bring you down though, if you like it have a ball.

No, I'm saying their individual reviews didn't need a bunch of random people forced into them. It's pure bloat.

I also wouldn't call anything about the new G4 natural, which is why I won't sub or consume their content on the regular.
It's natural the same way a lot of once-TV productions turning to the web are: adopting a streamer-based model. Conceptually G4 isn't too different from things like OTV (Offline TV); a branding of personalities doing content that's umbrella'd under that brand.

Also some of the people aren't random: Xavier Woods, Olivee for example are already known in other gaming circles, and the former's a WWE wrestler (I first found them through SFV along with Kenny Omega) and the latter's hosted a lot of League tournaments. Some of the others IIRC have been editors in the industry for a while. I'll admit there are some there who I haven't heard or seen before but I trust the vetting process there to have pulled in people with enough knowledge to bring something to the network.

I mean I'd personally want OGs like Morgan Webb, Olivia Munn and while not strictly G4, Victor Lucas (EP) back, but they've either moved on or might have scheduling conflicts.

I don't know man, I just can't support G4. There was some decent at times but for me Sessler and even Webb pissed my Sister and I off on so many occasions. Its like we're polar opposites to us in terms of taste and appreciation. Plus I'd never watch a cable tv channel anymore, much less a Youtube one of theirs.

I have much more fondness for The Electric Playground with Victor Lucas and Tommy Tallarico. They covered more content and were much more open minded and fair critics, say if a genre didn't suite them they would still rate it fairly and mentioned how they felt, including respect for the effort and quality put into said titles. Nowadays we're spoilt for choice so I don't see how I'd need another thing like this in my life. So many better sources that are far more knowledgeable and straight to the point on topics I care about not being presented in an obnoxious tweaker aesthetic.

Don't let my opinion bring you down though, if you like it have a ball.

Hope Tommy can recover from the disaster that's the Amico; him partnering back up with Victor for regular EP reviews would've been really cool. I don't have the issues with X-Play you did, though, I kinda liked the banter between Morgan and Adam and it was some of those reviews that got me interested in certain PS2 games for sure.

When regular access to game footage was a rarity back then stuff like EP and X-Play were always welcomed especially since as a kid I didn't have regular access to a PC and video content of games online was almost unheard of.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Krathoon

It is like G4 is forgetting that they are there to entertain. That is kind of the problem at the moment.

Isa

Hope Tommy can recover from the disaster that's the Amico; him partnering back up with Victor for regular EP reviews would've been really cool. I don't have the issues with X-Play you did, though, I kinda liked the banter between Morgan and Adam and it was some of those reviews that got me interested in certain PS2 games for sure.

When regular access to game footage was a rarity back then stuff like EP and X-Play were always welcomed especially since as a kid I didn't have regular access to a PC and video content of games online was almost unheard of.
I mean we didn't hate it, other shows on G4, TechTV before then iirc were nice enough. And any semblance of love for the hobby plus news and info on new and upcoming stuff was always a treat. Otherwise it was purely magazines for us. It'll be interesting to see what comes next for Tommy for sure. I honestly wish he'd score some games again, maybe help get some Earthworm Jim love to the current gen.

I mean we didn't hate it, other shows on G4, TechTV before then iirc were nice enough. And any semblance of love for the hobby plus news and info on new and upcoming stuff was always a treat. Otherwise it was purely magazines for us. It'll be interesting to see what comes next for Tommy for sure. I honestly wish he'd score some games again, maybe help get some Earthworm Jim love to the current gen.

If there's one thing from the Amico saga I hope goes really well, it's their Earthworm Jim game. A shame the series died in 5th gen (I never got around to playing EWJ 64 but I've heard it's actually pretty decent) because there was always room for it in 3D, I think, if they stuck long enough to take an approach like was basically done for Ghouls 'n Ghosts in the Maximo series.

The new one is 2D, but if they have key players working on it, that should be a good sign. More on-topic though, also mostly-magazine from that time, even after G4 and the such started to establish themselves. Though I think sometime shortly into 6th-gen I did start going online to get gaming news and it wasn't too longer later sites like Gamespot would host media for new games to download, remember doing that for Gears of War, GT5 , VF6 especially but by 7th-gen I more or less stopped reading magazines altogether.

amc

If there's one thing from the Amico saga I hope goes really well, it's their Earthworm Jim game. A shame the series died in 5th gen (I never got around to playing EWJ 64 but I've heard it's actually pretty decent) because there was always room for it in 3D, I think, if they stuck long enough to take an approach like was basically done for Ghouls 'n Ghosts in the Maximo series.

The new one is 2D, but if they have key players working on it, that should be a good sign. More on-topic though, also mostly-magazine from that time, even after G4 and the such started to establish themselves. Though I think sometime shortly into 6th-gen I did start going online to get gaming news and it wasn't too longer later sites like Gamespot would host media for new games to download, remember doing that for Gears of War, GT5 , VF6 especially but by 7th-gen I more or less stopped reading magazines altogether.
Yeah, don't hold your breath, that ain't being worked on anymore, not the build that Tommy and Amico flashed around at the start of all that anyway. It's M.I.A.

Been down a Rabbit hole on the Amico, it's a lot of hot air and shady practice. Tommy seems to be a rather iffy character with a lot of debate on what's real and what's simply the construct of a very vain man.

Anyway, just watched a vid of this new G4 and it wasn't a hot mess, will try some more.

SegaShack

I loved G4 at the time but even as a Jr High Schooler I knew the skits/humor was unfunny and cringey and were the worst part of the channel.

Sad to see they brought back the cringey humor.

The content such as the Cheat show, Game Makers Documentary, and Xplay Reviews were excellent.

He ALWAYS did that. Just people didn't care back then and throw a fit like they were personally insulted. He always complained about the glorification of guns in FPS, for example.
People probably didn't notice it back then because the X360 days were full of "dudebro" shooters. His complaints seem more glaring now that Nintendo Switch is the best-selling platform and there's loads of diverse indies and VR content because he seems to be fixated on dudebros with guns simply existing.

I don't know why the heck Microsoft keeps sponsoring them if he's basically gonna trashtalk the kind of product they market and sell.

Anyway, here's hoping G4's Icons comes back. I liked that series.

Krathoon

I wish they would do a game development show. Make something in Unity or Unreal Engine.

I guess that would be too technical.

softwarepagan

Neo Member
I was worried G4 was going to be completely zoomerfied (and the pre-release stuff kind of was) but honestly as an old G4 fan I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm still on the fence about a few members of the new cast but for the most part I think they're pretty cool.

Also it's hilarious to whine about "40-year-olds acting like children" on a gaming forum.

Krathoon

Yes. The gamers are older now. It is ok for older people to act silly. Remember Benny Hill and Leslie Neilson? Johnny Carson? Conan Obrien?

Last edited:
Top Bottom