• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 is back

jaysius

Banned
No it's not back, Sessler pretends to be hard hitting but ends up being just as toothless a whore as any other mainstream review padder.

This is all G4 was... see what this talentless hack would lick or deep throat.

hot dog GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There is also a retro gaming show now that I find enjoyable. I forgot the name of it.
That sounds cool. I liked Cinematech a lot way back when. It doesn’t make much sense to do it now. They could just gather a bunch of cutscenes and make a montage out of them.

Kevin was always good at explaining news about phones, gear, etc. AotS was good for that and the laughs. Kevin can be really entertaining to watch. I actually found some bands through his recommendations.

I haven’t watched much except a couple episodes of Adam talking about Cyberpunk and Metroid. I guess there hasn’t been a lot to check out because I’m playing the games they talk about. Maybe they’ll get some early access and that might be interesting. I remember watching Xplay back in the day and they would sometimes review a game the day of its release or a couple days before. I’d watch that and then head to the midnight launch. G4 seems like it’s just starting it’s engines in a way. These people are still very aware of the industry, but at point do they jump in? It seems hard and there’s been a lot of arguing over game scores since they’ve been off the air. As a fan myself, I’ve come to form some kinda boundary where I don’t always want to hear the opposite side because I’ve made up my mind (bought the game to play it, etc).

Humdinger

I've watched a few of Sessler's reviews. They've been pretty good. I haven't found anything else to watch, though. Like the older gentleman said above, I'm not interested in tom-foolery.

Krathoon

Well, this is not like Leo Laporte and Tech TV. G4 is supposed to have silly stuff.

The problem with old G4 is that they started to use sex appeal and it got a little creepy.

It looks like they are not doing that with the reboot.

DZ_b_EZ

Ovilee May has pretty much replaced Olivia Munn with her antics, which is cool by me.

They're both half-asian and they have the same initials. Coincidence?? I think not.

AJUMP23

TechTV died for this bullshit...
Leo LaPorte unfortunately became insufferable. He decided he didn't like John Dvorak anymore and then the show Twit just became political technology whining. I also loved Jerry Pournelle, older SCI FI author they use to have on the Twit, podcast. He and Dvorak together were great.

Krathoon

Well, it is still trying to be G4, just with new people. What is neat is that they have added new stuff that fits with the current gaming atmosphere on the internet.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
No it's not back, Sessler pretends to be hard hitting but ends up being just as toothless a whore as any other mainstream review padder.

This is all G4 was... see what this talentless hack would lick or deep throat.

hot dog GIF
Didn't she get knocked up by a recently divorced John Mulaney right after he got out of rehab and just started dating?
She makes great choices

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Krathoon

The lead into the reboot of G4 with that fake executive was kind of off putting. Fortunately, they got rid of that.

Krathoon

Krathoon

I would love it if G4 went to a PAX. Maybe even do a panel.

They could even do a D&D game with Acquisitions Incorporated.

Well, this is not like Leo Laporte and Tech TV. G4 is supposed to have silly stuff.

The problem with old G4 is that they started to use sex appeal and it got a little creepy.

It looks like they are not doing that with the reboot.

Que? TBF, I stopped watching G4/TTV probably around 2012/2013 or so, which is around the time I stopped watch the TGAs (before 2019 the last of those I saw had Geoff paired with a comedian who kept making fun of his clothing "layers". Seemed to genuinely start irritating Geoff but I thought that shit was hilarious). Before that tho I can't recall any heavy leaning on sex appeal.

I mean they had Morgan Webb and Olivia Munn, and Munn did some antics with obvious sexual innuendos (like the hot dog stuff), but that just seemed like one-off stuff and rarely a focus. Maybe things changed after I dipped out tho 🤷‍♂️

Best looking host on G4. She was totally shooting her shot at 50 cent in this interview.

TY1pRUK.jpg

Damn she's fine, might've seen her up there a few times.

Also holy shit she was def trying to get in those pants xD. And him smooching on her at the end 😯 . Obviously playful & consensual but also obviously would not fly whatsoever in current year (also why was he doing mods for OG Xbox in 2006, 360 was already out :lau

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Sarah Lane was the GOAT. She seemed down to earth, cool, and was pretty funny. Once she left they went for pure attractiveness and that was that.

I don't see how it's going to survive, everything they did on the show was stuff you can just google online and get better versions of it in seconds.

Chris Gore's DVD reviews. Random somebody's tech reviews. X-Play's game reviews. And "web hits" which was basically showing you memes and video clips that already circulated on the internet two days before.

Krathoon

It was late in G4's life when they started to add some more sexy lady hosts. Morgan Webb even did a photo shoot.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I loved the channel back in the day. It was stupid, it was childish, it was a bunch of man children having stupid fun and making jokes at others expense. It was the best things of the 90s, early 2000s, and early internet culture all rolled into one.

Now? I can't really say anything positive or negative about it. Things have evolved so much and the culture has changed. You can't have nearly as many silly jokes without offending people. Certain hosts like "Black Hokage" characterize their entire personality around their skin colour and lack any real charisma. Some folks like Jirard Khalil, you can see their passion in. But then you have shit like Kevin trying to promote the scam that is NFTs. Instead of simply doing something like they would have in the past, discuss what the tech is and its pros/cons while making jokes - it was all about how amazing it was and insulting/downplaying any and all criticism.

I can't say "G4 is back" because there are too many issues. Too many hosts that have this pathetic need to promote race/gender as defining characteristics. I also have bad memories and views of Sessler after meeting in IRL. Dude was a massive cunt and a real shitty person. Seeing how he has treated long time fans and general people IRL and on twitter, I don't get why they would bother bringing him back.

Top Bottom