• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 is back

Krathoon

Adam Sessler is kind of grumpy now which cracks me up. He does not like JRPGS and they had him play Persona 5 Royal. He ended up enjoying it. I don't think he played through all of it.

softwarepagan

Neo Member
Yeah, people just have all this really deep hate bubbling just below the surface and it only takes a small pinprick to let it all loose. We also have this idea that being an adult means you must also therefore be boring, and that's not true either. Being an adult just means being responsible, not that anything fun is off the table forever now.

Krathoon

They tend to be shooting the shit too much on the show. They need more content. Attack had this cat guy which was weird.

Krathoon

It is funny how this thread died. People are kind of flippant about G4. For some reason, there is a giant controller in the G4 lobby. They are really throwing money at it.

Pallas

I always miss that one show, Cinematech that pretty much played gameplay trailers of different games, sometimes really obscured, only in Japan games. It had no talking, just straight up games. I think at night they had a adult oriented version of the show that would show M-Rated and A-rated hentai styled games, with censorship of course.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
munn was fun
olivia munn GIF
olivia munn man GIF
No she wasn't. I don't understand how they replaced Sarah Lane with her. And they had Laylah Kaleigh, who actually has a personality, who they could have put in that spot instead. G4 was braindead and wasted everything that TechTV brought to the table.

Krathoon

I always miss that one show, Cinematech that pretty much played gameplay trailers of different games, sometimes really obscured, only in Japan games. It had no talking, just straight up games. I think at night they had a adult oriented version of the show that would show M-Rated and A-rated hentai styled games, with censorship of course.

Yeah. That had allot of weird old games. They would always go for bizarre stuff on that show.

Krathoon

Munn was always up for any silly bit. I remember when she pissed off the creative director for Twisted Metal. It think it was David Jaffe. She kept doing innuendo and was not doing a serious interview.

N° 2048

I was worried G4 was going to be completely zoomerfied (and the pre-release stuff kind of was) but honestly as an old G4 fan I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm still on the fence about a few members of the new cast but for the most part I think they're pretty cool.

Also it's hilarious to whine about "40-year-olds acting like children" on a gaming forum.

been enjoying it so much.

softwarepagan

Neo Member
XPlay would be better if they got rid of Black Hokage. He is unbearable most of the time.
I agree. He's definitely my least favorite new cast member. He comes across as irritated and judgy half the time.

Yeah, but to their credit they do other fun things. But yes. It's a two-hour talk show about games that includes one (1) game review. It's on three times a week IIRC

Essentially its a 2 hour long twitch podcast that gets edited down for "linear" (aka, broadcaost) that is closer to the original XPlay.

Oh, is it shorter on the actual cable channel? I don't have standard TV but I've thought about getting Philo just for linear G4.

softwarepagan

Neo Member
Wait....Black Hokage? As in the Twitch streamer? HAHAHAHA
Yes, that's where they've recruited a lot of their new cast members. Some of them are great, others... not so much. The only original cast members that are on the show are Adam Sessler, Kevin Pereira, and the dude who played Drunk Link shows up in skits periodically.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I agree. He's definitely my least favorite new cast member. He comes across as irritated and judgy half the time.

Yeah, but to their credit they do other fun things. But yes. It's a two-hour talk show about games that includes one (1) game review. It's on three times a week IIRC

Oh, is it shorter on the actual cable channel? I don't have standard TV but I've thought about getting Philo just for linear G4.

Yea, shorter. 30 min IIRC? I don't have it myself. Waiting until I can get it online.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Wow, those goes are even more cringe than she is. Not to mention overtly political for no good reason. Not the best folks to choose to showcase how much of a nutcase she is.

Sexism is not endemic and much of the hate she gets is because she is a very hateful person. She tries to start shit constantly and, much like a lot of the other mentally ill degenerates, makes claims of „sexism“ and „bigotry“. People liked Morgan Webb. People liked Olivia Munn. Yes they could be „sexy“ or „attractive“, but that wasn‘t why they were beloved by folks who grew up with G4. They did their damn jobs, clearly had passion for it, and didn‘t insult their audience and treat them like scumbags.

meanspartan

I saw a recent review for I forget which game. I think it was Halo. It had random political comments thrown in as "jokes" (all going in one ideological direction, of course) that felt very out of place.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yea, I have to write off G4 as being dead again. Fuck this. Its insulting. How the hell can anyone actively think that this is OK? Or Funny? Mentally ill cunts, the lot of them.

From Kevin promoting blatant scams such as NFTs to a sexist and racist on X-Play (Frosk and Black Hokage). I like Jirard, but he isn‘t enough to save it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I fucks with him tho lol. His Youtube channel dope and he's chill. I thought Austin Creed was a damn good pickup, he is what I think a Modern G4 contributor would be like.

I can‘t disagree more on TBH. Dude constantly has to bring race into everything. He clearly doesn‘t care about games/gaming/nerd culture and has gone on record saying he only does it because its easy money.

Austin Creed is an excellent choice though. Dude is fantastic and fun. Highly charismatic and clearly has a massive passion. Sadly there are just too many too many others who actively hinder the overall experience.

EDIT: Yea, fuck G4. I am done. Their community is as toxic and mentally ill as Easy Allies has become. Bunch of cunts.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned

I would take everything she says with a grain of salt. First of her level of gaming knowledge is really subpar compared to the other people in G4 (Like asking why MS hasn't bought Bioware not realizing it's owned by EA). 2nd off if you follow her history, anywhere she goes drama ALWAYS follows, she was on some sort of esports league team and everyone hated her until she quit or got fired.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Some people don't actually watch the original videos. They rely on YouTube channels to tell them what to think.

Jaffe is dealing with this on his stream tonight.

To be fair, they did show the entire video in that other video.

Also to be fair, they were so much fucking worse. Christ it was like I was listening to a bunch of bitter politics-forum folks.

Labolas

Yeah, I saw this pop up in my youtube feed. And holy shit, is this person insecure or what? All she managed to do is turn people off watching the show and make the situation even worse for herself by highlighting those comments that got next to her.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, I saw this pop up in my youtube feed. And holy shit, is this person insecure or what? All she managed to do is turn people off watching the show and make the situation even worse for herself by highlighting those comments that got next to her.

Its even worse. The Mods for the subreddit, discord, and youtube/twitch went on a massive banning spree. Anyone who said anything remotely negative or against their agenda were permanently removed. Numerous folks who straight up stated that they were women in the industry and they don't see this perceived slight, or called her out on the bullshit were removed. Some were even banned for daring to say something as "awful" as suggesting people should focus less on immutable characteristics as a selling point and instead the content of people's characters.

Its a fucking shit show. Its like every moderator is from ResetEra or holdouts from EasyAllies.

Labolas

Its even worse. The Mods for the subreddit, discord, and youtube/twitch went on a massive banning spree. Anyone who said anything remotely negative or against their agenda were permanently removed. Numerous folks who straight up stated that they were women in the industry and they don't see this perceived slight, or called her out on the bullshit were removed. Some were even banned for daring to say something as "awful" as suggesting people should focus less on immutable characteristics as a selling point and instead the content of people's characters.

Its a fucking shit show. Its like every moderator is from ResetEra or holdouts from EasyAllies.
So she essentially dragged the entirety of G4 into this. Lol, she fucked up majorly, she should have stfu and kept it moving.

RafterXL

That was the vibe I got listening to that drivel. I just kept asking myself, "Why is she so angry?" Very sad.
Look at her...you'd be angry too.
Yep, but then you had folks like TBH and Adam clapping like fucking mindless trained seals like she said something profound. What a fucking joke.
The clapping and obnoxious cheering while she was throwing her tantrum was as cringe as it gets.

People were actually looking forward to shit coming back?...and it's even worse than before, and will only get worse, as they have to continue to pander to keep their viewership up.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My opinion on this entire affair is mixed and longer than I care to type out right now, but I'll say this: even if she is right, and since it's the internet / Twitch / YouTube I have no doubt they're seeing some childish and vile stuff in their chat, she went about addressing it the wrong way. Whether she likes it or not she chose an extremely public-facing profession and that comes with caveats - such as having to swallow your tongue sometimes, or approach things with more tact than your most vocal detractors probably deserve. Sometimes that even means taking incel-ish chat behavior on the chin and leaving it up to your support team to deal with them. Getting on a soapbox will rally some people to her cause, but more than likely will end up causing damage to her and her brand in the long run whether it is deserved or not. Shitty, but thems the breaks of showbiz - particularly this fashion of showbiz. Think of all the other people before her who did the same and now they're kind of persona non grata or in the least greatly diminished.

It's a shame to say, especially if she was receiving legit hate, that perhaps she just isn't cut out for this internet entertainment hosting life.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I saw a recent review for I forget which game. I think it was Halo. It had random political comments thrown in as "jokes" (all going in one ideological direction, of course) that felt very out of place.
You don't remember the original X-Play, do you?
They had Dick Cheyney drinking blood from a goblet. They've never taken it easy on right wing people. I'd bet that they go just as hard on left wing people and that you just don't notice it.

Editaur

Was not disappointed by this new G4 and Xplay as it was pretty much what I expected from these people. Always liked Austin Creed as he seems to enjoy video games.

I give this show's debut a 1.......................out of 5

Top Bottom