• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 is back

Tuff McNutt

How about you link the actual video instead of that garbage YouTube channel.

That thumbnail is so cringe and everything wrong with modern gaming.

G4 was ok at the time, but TBH it was mostly because we as gamers didn't have media made for us. Now, with hundreds of quality YT, Twitch, etc. channels out there, the "classic" output is pretty shit tier by comparison. So I only had minimal interest in the reboot and this garbage insures I will never watch a second of it. And I'd wager I'm not the only one.

Now pardon me, I'm going back into my dungeon to play Donkey Kong.

Last edited:
V291Alm.jpg

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Isn't she giving the small minority in the chat exactly what they want? An onscreen meltdown? Which in turn, makes everyone cringe and SMASH that dislike button?
Of course. How else can they try and gain viewership And clicks? They need to go for the lowest common denominators because they have no talent. Look at the clicks teh typical G4 stream gets. Then go look and see what Jirard gets with The Completionist. People want Completionist style content. They don’t want a bunch of dipshits screaming at games.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The picture on his shirt is taken from a famous video from 2017 where a member of some US right wing group called Richard Spencer was assaulted unprovoked by a random lefty hothead. It wasn't even during a demonstration or stuff like that, Spencer was standing at a street corner talking to people about I don't know what politics was being debated at that time, and completely unprovoked and out of nowhere the other guy decked him in the face full-force because he didn't like what Spencer was saying.

This sparkled a small "debate" in the SJW environment about whether or not it was morally right to assault somebody from the "nazis" even if they were not engaging in any violence themselves, so basically just for being "the bad guys" according to them.

This picture was Sessler's way of letting everybody know where he stood in that debate.

BTW, Sessler also famously said he is perfectly OK with publicly doxxing and calling out kids for saying mean racist words while playing an online game. Put the two together yourself.
Did you really just defend Richard Spencer?
Are you high?
16406753_10155117213588291_1664009533254811477_n.jpg

The red text is from Maddox, the rest is from a literal Nazi comic called Redpanels which is the precursor to mineralmotion. Spencer posted the unedited original unironically because he's an actual fucking Nazi.

It bears repeating, Richard Spencer is an actual Nazi. You know why he got punched in the face? Not because of a "lefty hothead," but because he preaches violent, racist rhetoric and literally wants to enslave people. Fuck Richard Spencer, he earned that punch.

Don't defend trash, dude. You can be better than that.

Last edited:
Whether she's right or wrong it's not what I want to watch when I tune into a gaming show. I watched Adam, Munn, Kevin, Chobot and more because they're entertainers first. They're people I'd want to grab a bite or a drink with to chat about games. That's what made those shows fun.

As a foot note there's more to sex appeal than just looks. Why does it always boil down to "less bangable"? Nah you have wit, comedy, charisma, confidence, insight, expertise, cheekiness and an entire gamut of traits others may find entertaining. Such traits beyond looks are why audiences connect with other presenters she mentions. Perhaps giving rise to content instead of grandstanding then G4 may connect with new audiences as well.

I showed this to my wife and she said "Where's the game part?" and didn't even finish the video. Exactly. There's also the handwaving of her commenting that the other two guys are getting shit for not being Adam but she caught herself in a Freudian slip and attempted to narrative correct immediately. Adam is well informed about games, he is also loved and hated but we didn't hear about that side of things. Perhaps she could have spent those 5 minutes showcasing her expertise, insight, wit, charisma or basically anything else besides lecturing us, the audience here for entertainment. Gamers/chat do better, it's a shitshow. Hosts/media don't give it the light of day to start with. Your content stands on its own.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Whether she's right or wrong it's not what I want to watch when I tune into a gaming show. I watched Adam, Munn, Kevin, Chobot and more because they're entertainers first. They're people I'd want to grab a bite or a drink with to chat about games. That's what made those shows fun.

As a foot note there's more to sex appeal than just looks. Why does it always boil down to "less bangable"? Nah you have wit, comedy, charisma, confidence, insight, expertise, cheekiness and an entire gamut of traits others may find entertaining. Such traits beyond looks are why audiences connect with other presenters she mentions. Perhaps giving rise to content instead of grandstanding then G4 may connect with new audiences as well.

I showed this to my wife saw and she said "Where's the game part?" and didn't even finish the video. Exactly. There's also the handwaving of her commenting that the other two guys are getting shit for not being Adam but she caught herself in a Freudian slip and attempted to narrative correct immediately. Adam is well informed about games, he is also loved and hated but we didn't hear about that side of things. Perhaps she could have spent those 5 minutes showcasing her expertise, insight, wit, charisma or basically anything else besides lecturing us, the audience here for entertainment. Gamers/chat do better, it's a shitshow. Hosts/media don't give it the light of day to start with. Your content stands on its own.

You are absolutely spot on. I didn’t find Morgan Webb sexy, I found her to be charming. Witty. Fun to be around (At least as a kid). I didn’t want to “bang” her, I wanted to play games with her. She seemed like a chill person.That is why I kept watching X-Play all those years ago.

Frosk though? She seems like the kind of person who does nothing but bitch and moan about every little thing. She doesn’t seem to want to have fun. She seems to have an open disdain for games/gamers, and she wants attention. Same with Black Hokage. Same with modern Adam. They all act like they would rather just talk politics than play games. Jirard is legit the only person there that seems like he actually just wants to sit down, chat about games, and have fun.

Reallink

Wait seriously? How do these woke, disgusting human beings that are absolutely shit at their jobs keep getting better gigs?

Everything about the woke world I can easily ignore but this failing upwards thing really gets to me.

Because "wokeness" is broadly ignored or generally well received by the market at large and a lot of the "diversity" content is actually popular and financially successful. "Alt Right" Neogafers and Youtube shitposters are a similar minority bubble to REEE and Far Left Twitter--they're all utterly insignificant. What matters is "mainstreet", and mainstreet overwhelmingly ignores or supports it. 95% of people don't care that Corporate Entity X labels the generic greeting of "Hey Guys" as hate speech, or advocates for the BLM organization. 95% of people don't care that most networks are mandating 50% BIPOC writer and actor quotas, or that every game and reality shows have transitioned to majority black, gay, and tran contestant pools, ratings are unaffected.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh boy, seems to be off to a good start :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gee, I really wonder what could go wrong with that show :pie_thinking:

Too bad they are dragging The Completionist and his marvelous beard into this. Dude should have stayed far away from these insufferable militant pricks.

What weirds me out is the sheer venom for a political party that isn't in power!

Its kinda bizarre if you think about it, I mean are things really going so great under the Biden admin that you want to bury your only possible alternative?

JackSparr0w

Banned
Because "wokeness" is broadly ignored or generally well received by the market at large and a lot of the "diversity" content is actually popular and financially successful. "Alt Right" Neogafers and Youtube shitposters are a similar minority bubble to REEE and Far Left Twitter--they're all utterly insignificant. What matters is "mainstreet", and mainstreet overwhelmingly ignores or supports it. 95% of people don't care that Corporate Entity X labels the generic greeting of "Hey Guys" as hate speech, or advocates for the BLM organization. 95% of people don't care that most networks are mandating 50% BIPOC writer and actor quotas, or that every game and reality shows have transitioned to majority black, gay, and tran contestant pools, ratings are unaffected.
I'm sorry but I call BS on this. Entire TV networks and movie franchises have been destroyed financially in the name of wokeness. The average person is not only aware but also heavily against wokeness. All you have to do is pick any woke movie or tv show and read random IMDB or rottentomatoes user reviews. Wokeness is mentioned constantly as a con.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It’s almost as if they learned nothing from history.

Its just bizarre that a guy like Sessler who's pushing 50 would make a comment like that basically out of nowhere. I mean, the only reason I can think of is a truly pathetic attempt at drawing attention, but even then there have to be a million better ways of doing that.

Its so childish, bone-headed and most notably unfocussed that its not even political commentary!

Renoir

was curious about the show due to being an old fan, but this shit here.. errrghh. Again falling for the Oki doke. These agencies keep using old names and properties to lure me in.
Im part of the problem.. I keep biting.

Edit: why entertainers don't understand I don't want to watch regular people? I want an action show, Ima watch buff guys wreaking shop. I watch a food channel ima watch a fine girl going restaurant to restaurant eating. I don't understand why these entertainers now insist on telling me that they're not here to be pretty .. or here to entertain me...

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
How long has Sessler been rocking "Once Was Cool" in his Twitter handle? He must be getting crushed by people on Reddit and Twitter.
I find it crazy that Sessler came back at all, he was so far out there in the last few years, I thought he had burned all his bridges several times over.

I think he was a great game journalist back in the day, but most of the stuff I watched of him lately seems a bit out of touch, reminds me of Jeff Gerstman, he's just not that into it anymore. Not finishing games, everything is too hard, everything is too long, etc.

But his behavior is unacceptable, and he should not have returned. He fits in the crowd of people that she is describing. His Twitter is just as dumbass as YouTube chat.

Bragr

Banned
Its just bizarre that a guy like Sessler who's pushing 50 would make a comment like that basically out of nowhere. I mean, the only reason I can think of is a truly pathetic attempt at drawing attention, but even then there have to be a million better ways of doing that.

Its so childish, bone-headed and most notably unfocussed that its not even political commentary!
It's on the same level as saying all women are whores and meat-eaters are disgusting and everyone who doesn't take the vaccine needs to die. It's that sort of commentary. It's just horseshit, it's embarrassing to see grown men act like this. It's important to not support people like him, we want to move away from this sort of stuff in the industry.

Kacho

Gold Member
I find it crazy that Sessler came back at all, he was so far out there in the last few years, I thought he had burned all his bridges several times over.

I think he was a great game journalist back in the day, but most of the stuff I watched of him lately seems a bit out of touch, reminds me of Jeff Gerstman, he's just not that into it anymore. Not finishing games, everything is too hard, everything is too long, etc.

But his behavior is unacceptable, and he should not have returned. He fits in the crowd of people that she is describing. His Twitter is just as dumbass as YouTube chat.
Didn’t he try to get into game development with that Friday the 13th game? Can’t remember what he did exactly but I’m pretty sure he was involved. Guess that didn’t work out and he thought he’d try another video game personality run. Don’t think this is gonna work out for him.

I’ll always have a fondness for Sessler even if I loathe his politics and Twitter insanity. Shame he can’t ditch the craziness of the current zeitgeist we’re living in and just produce quality content. Oh well.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's on the same level as saying all women are whores and meat-eaters are disgusting and everyone who doesn't take the vaccine needs to die. It's that sort of commentary. It's just horseshit, it's embarrassing to see grown men act like this. It's important to not support people like him, we want to move away from this sort of stuff in the industry.

There have been numerous papers on the subject of disagreements and debates providing powerful insight to how we view the world, how we solve problems and how we can move past our own mental roadblocks.

This being one of the more noted in the field. Essentially it all comes down to being challenged and learning from each other. This is something that these people simply are unable to do. They cannot be challenged. They are right, they are the sole „light“ in an otherwise dim world. They are the arbiters of what is acceptable and what isn‘t. You try to debate them, you try to discuss with them, if you so much as show the slightest hint of disagreement - they will completely shut down and spout the same, tired cliche lines we have heard far too often over the past decade.

Vae_Victis

Banned
Are you high?

The red text is from Maddox, the rest is from a literal Nazi comic called Redpanels which is the precursor to mineralmotion. Spencer posted the unedited original unironically because he's an actual fucking Nazi.

It bears repeating, Richard Spencer is an actual Nazi. You know why he got punched in the face? Not because of a "lefty hothead," but because he preaches violent, racist rhetoric and literally wants to enslave people. Fuck Richard Spencer, he earned that punch.

What are you on about? I didn't "defend" Richard Spencer, I explained where the picture was from.

If two groups of garbage people are at each other's throats, and I call one of them garbage, it doesn't imply I'm endorsing the other one. They can both be garbage at the same time, for the same or different reasons. I know this can be hard to grasp for some people, especially from the US, but not the whole world is permanently locked in a "you're either with us or with the enemy" duality over everything in life.

If your big idea to "fight nazis" is to normalize a climate in which everybody who has positions you don't like (WHICH DOESN'T MEAN I LIKE THEM) gets silenced through violence by private political squadrons, maybe you should open a history book and read how fascism started in Italy in the 1920's.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Completely off topic but I thought of something when I realized this whole thing was triggered from comments in the live chat....

Does anyone remember the name of an early 90s show on MTV where music videos played and people were in a chatroom? It was like really early internet, I would watch it as a kid but didn't even realize that people were in a chatroom. Looked for it on YouTube and googled it but can't find a thing on it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Be careful what you say or whiteknight cokehead grandad will come and punch your lights out, you despicable nazi.

EAwuEjkUEAAJPvr.jpg
How the make sure general public will see you as an aggressor and make these alt-right wing idiots as a victims and a good guys. Shit like this pisses me off, because one thing which is absolutely clear is that these people haven't learn history. Many of absolute monsters get into power because they were seen as the poor marginalized group. FUCK

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Actually, thinking about it Sessler mostly strikes me as someone making an ostentatious show of piety to their new religion. Overcompensating for things done in the past maybe... ? Its so performative and cartoonishly exaggerated I have to wonder what skeletons must he think he has hidden in his closet!

CGiRanger

Banned
I just don't get this whole "EVERYONE IS SEXIST!" because they criticize Frosk. Look at nearly ANY VTuber and you will see mostly cheers, love, etc. You know why? Its because they talk about the fucking games and don't try and bitch/moan/stand on a soapbox.
Again, these people are wholly ugly (both inside and out) and jealous. So they blame sexism instead of their own issues.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
"Don't watch our show"

Huh, what the fuck made you think it was necessary to tell me? You and your Sesslers.. Nah, I'm not nearly insane enough to watch your shit show in the first place. I'm just here to watch you and your clapping seals implode.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Again, these people are wholly ugly (both inside and out) and jealous. So they blame sexism instead of their own issues.

Yep. Gura has millions of followers, gets tens to hundreds of thousands of watchers for her live streams. Her social media is mostly positive, kinda, and caring fans. If "sexism" was endemic like these mentally ill degenerates suggest, she would be constantly bombarded by mostly hate. All of her streams would be insults and bashing. The comments section should be *littered* with sexist comments. But they aren't.

Its because she has passion, she loves games and the community. She admits when she is wrong and plays it off playfully in an obvious fashion.

This ignorant child, "Frosk", wishes she could have even a fraction of the respect that a damn VTuber gets but is too thick headed to figure out WHY she isn't liked.

meanspartan

Wtf was that. Between her unhinged rant and Sessler saying Republicans are all dumb racists, do they WANT to kill off the small audience they do have? Maybe they are setting this up so they can claim the new G4 failed cuz of racism/sexism/whatever else.

It's also hilarious to me that she thinks being attractive isn't EXACTLY why Webb, Munn, etc. were hired. Truth hurts. She can't be that naive.

The old G4 execs of the successful iteration (for a while anyway) would have never let this lady make a rant like this on air.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wtf was that. Between her unhinged rant and Sessler saying Republicans are all dumb racists, do they WANT to kill off the small audience they do have? Maybe they are setting this up so they can claim the new G4 failed cuz of racism/sexism/whatever else.

It's also hilarious to me that she thinks being attractive isn't EXACTLY why Webb, Munn, etc. were hired. Truth hurts. She can't be that naive.

The old G4 execs of the successful iteration (for a while anyway) would have never let this lady make a rant like this on air.

Funny thing is, we have Colin Moriarty who has one of the largest followings versus Kinda Funny, the community who kicked him out. The former welcomes everyone, regardless of their political views. The latter told anyone who wasn't one of *them* that they don't want them as viewers. The latter has only a tiny fraction of the followers. I wonder why.

meanspartan

Funny thing is, we have Colin Moriarty who has one of the largest followings versus Kinda Funny, the community who kicked him out. The former welcomes everyone, regardless of their political views. The latter told anyone who wasn't one of *them* that they don't want them as viewers. The latter has only a tiny fraction of the followers. I wonder why.
Yup. Also proves Colin was right (heh) about strategy.

While the tweet was the immediate reason he left, he said there were also festering disagreements. He wanted to keep Kinda Funny simple. A couple podcasts and maybe one event a year. The other guys seemed to think they could grow aggressively and do a bunch of series (that never got a ton of views).

I really think there is some jealousy there, which is why they still don't have Colin on even years later. Shame, Colin and Greg together was my favorite media duo in games. But I think it's telling I only still follow Colin.

TwinB242

What a way to bring back a previously beloved service and then immediately kill it. Hopefully this will be a lesson to others.

TexMex

G4 is barely back, and that is the most hilariously scripted, canned little rant. She has been waiting for this moment since day one.

And bad news, we can debate the ethics of "sex sells" all day, but Olivia Munn was absolutely hired because of her sex appeal. Not because she was a videogame industry expert. That was literally why she was there.

Upside is, she never has to worry about being sexualized so she can really take it down a notch.

Pull n Pray

Banned
Are you high?

Spencer is a piece of shit, but that doesn't mean the person who punched him had a right to do it. The same logic could be used to justify a Republican doing violence to Adam Sessler (who is also a piece of shit).

Harlock

This bizarre behavior is not to boost the audience, but to get more social credit in the market. They know that wlll never get enough audience to pay the bills, so become like a startup with a lot of buzz but few real revenue.

GymWolf

One guy on the yt comments section said something smart, after this shitshow she assured a fixed place for herself, they are not gonna cut herafter this rant unless the whole show completely fail.

Imagine the mob harassing whoever is in charge of this thing if they cut her now...

She knows that she is the weak link in there so she had to do something...

Last edited:

Krathoon

It was expected that Frosk would say something. It was getting kinda broish. It was well delivered.
This is not the old G4.

Still, the real problem is that XPlay is not totally focusing on video games. They are not really digging in.

They are partially doing it, but they are not going all in.

Still, that may be not possible. The video game industry is kind of boring and cagey if you take a real hard look at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom