• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 is back

Ulysses 31

This grim, political, identity-driven format takes itself way too seriously. They're not saving lives or changing minds, so why even act like it.
My guess is that they consider it a core part of their identity and thus it's a lens they see the world through.

Last edited:

MacReady13

The are using the show as their personal soapbox. Upper management is going to have to stop that.

That is a key difference between old G4 and new G4.
Problem with this shitshow (and almost every gaming podcast/show) is they ALL think the exact same way! How is that even possible? Were they all picked off the same production line? They never have any retaliation against anything their co-hosts say. The only person that did was Colin Moriarty and we all know what happened to him...

And lets be real here for a second- we all know why they chose this person as a host. She is the typical they/them person with short hair and rings in her face. She is almost certainly a letter of the LBGT so she ticks off that box as well. She most certainly isn't there for her looks cause that would go against the grain of every other fucking gaming site that is around.

This is all just predictable bullshit and i'm well and truly over it. I go to Colin Moriarty for my gaming fix. At least he is honest and keeps it real every single time. I occasionally listen to geeks and gamers cause they make me laugh and fuck the haters. Plus they speak their minds no matter what. I just want complete honesty, not virtue signaling bullshit in my life. Don't say things to please others... Pissed me off when I was listening to the brilliant Razorfist giving it to G4 when he said he WAS friendly with the completionist but suddenly was unfriended around 2016. I thought the completionist was more of a free thinker but shows how much I know...

CGiRanger

Banned
My guess is that they consider it a core part of their identity and thus it's a lens they see the world through.
It's also what has been rammed down their throats both in education and in the media they consume. Then it compounds with them entrenching themselves within their echo chambers and can't even begin to peruse differing opinions, or especially try any form of self-reflection. So this is what you end up with.

Catphish

Problem with this shitshow (and almost every gaming podcast/show) is they ALL think the exact same way! How is that even possible? Were they all picked off the same production line?
Considering how consolidated media ownership is today, the only logical conclusion I can arrive at is that it's all planned and executed from the top-down. There's always money to be made from conflict, and all this shit seems largely manufactured to that effect. Of course, it could be even more insidious than that as the incessant march of it, and the way it's pervading almost every facet of modern life, shows all the earmarks of a cultural revolution.

It feels like it's trying to fracture society and prevent any possibility of cohesion and unity.

Last edited:

MacReady13

It feels like it's trying to fracture society and prevent any possibility of cohesion and unity.
Much like what media/twitter is doing with politics. It really does take the sheen off games when I know one of these fucking muppets is involved with a game i'm looking forward to.

Reading Sessler's comments on all republicans the other day on twitter and scrolling through the comments I noticed David Bowie's son commented on Sesslers tweet saying it was all true. Make my heart ache seeing his agree with such a vulgar statement.

Billbofet

Much like what media/twitter is doing with politics. It really does take the sheen off games when I know one of these fucking muppets is involved with a game i'm looking forward to.

Reading Sessler's comments on all republicans the other day on twitter and scrolling through the comments I noticed David Bowie's son commented on Sesslers tweet saying it was all true. Make my heart ache seeing his agree with such a vulgar statement.
Agree. What a time to live in where it is celebrated to wish death, injury, and disease on people you disagree with - even members of your own family for political reasons.
I feel like 10-20 years ago that would have been a cry for help or a sign of mental illness.

MacReady13

Agree. What a time to live in where it is celebrated to wish death, injury, and disease on people you disagree with - even members of your own family for political reasons.
I feel like 10-20 years ago that would have been a cry for help or a sign of mental illness.
Spot on. It's a disgrace and to see people agreeing with his take really hurts. And I am not in line with republican beliefs at all yet you can go get stuffed if you think i'd turn on my family or friends over their political beliefs. Politics takes up so little of my time I really could not give a fuck who you voted for. They're all crooks out for their own personal gains.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

In most of the world it is. Sadly there has been this strange move to validate mental illnesses and be seen as „progressive“ (read: Regressive) ever since Social Media became a thing.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
AotS last night was fun, I got a chance to catch it live, the archive is up on YouTube. I really wanted to win that Sideshow Iron Man figure :messenger_loudly_crying:

I also own the exact same pair of socks Kevin is rocking. So I have a feeling we shop at the same shoe place.

Excess

This is all just predictable bullshit and i'm well and truly over it. I go to Colin Moriarty for my gaming fix. At least he is honest and keeps it real every single time. I occasionally listen to geeks and gamers cause they make me laugh and fuck the haters.
What I wouldn't do for a Red Letter Media of video games. I need some of that 90's cynicism and deadpan delivery in my commentary. It'd be the only thing that could make me feel less dead about video game politics today.

Last edited:

skit_data

*never watched G4*
UQDioJM.gif

*reads the thread*
VGXNDmi.gif

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Morgan Webb was all I needed.
Really attractive and knewattractive?
(Did I mention really arttractive?)

Sessler is an insufferable douchebag.
Olivia Munn was always sooo desperate. Its no surprise how she got where she is.

Unk Adams

Banned
This is why I'm happy that the major gaming magazines (Gamepro, EGM, etc.) died off right before the hateful woke epidemic. You know if they existed today their articles wouldn't even be about gaming. They would be about why gamers are bad, why censorship is good, why sexually attractive women are bad, etc. The game ratings would be based off of their personal politics and not about actual gameplay.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

This is quite long, and not only amusing but extremely illuminating about what may actually have been driving comment in the chat.
Spoiler Alert: It most probably wasn't anything to do with Frosk's (sic?) "Bangability". And more to do with riling up fanboys with some pretty spicy takes, whilst showing a remarkable lack of knowledge about the product.

G4 in the modern age is irrelevant same with the gaming publication websites when you got data miners that get info before your publication there is a problem but almost all of these people in gaming media act like this Frost person. Barely know anything about games could even tell you the last game the beat and if you ask them to review it off the cuff with no script they would fall flat on there face. The dumbing down of games is also because of them the reason why games like Returnal or SMT5 or sekiro get questionable reviews at best from these people is that they cant even beat the 1st boss of level of these games case in point.

Rodger Dodger

Neo Member
What disappoints me about this. Is she let a few dozen people fuck it up for EVERYONE.

Was I checking for G4TV ? I mean. On the low. Peep a video here or there among the new shit. But now it’s like fuck bruh you done let in all these muhfuckas who were on the outskirts. A CHAT no less and now your subreddit is fucked up, the chat is neutered, you know the comments for the videos are gonna be a landfill for a few weeks.

We’re were doing so well. I’m not the people you were defending yourself from, but their reaction will lump me in with them. This gaming shit posed to bring people together and the double down of this really stupid thing she did. Is just tearing us apart instead of taking the moment and being accountable.

You couldn’t handle it. That’s fine. A nice acknowledgment of hey. I’m not this person that you want, give me time and I’ll be the best person I can be and we’ll create a new memory for you to look back with fondness as the others before me.

No. She had to go. ACCEPT MEEEEEE!!!! I AM WOM-it’s like oh noooooo.

giphy.gif

And for what ?? FOR WHAT ?! I’m not saying take the abuse. But that approach was a good idea to you ???!!!

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

This is quite long, and not only amusing but extremely illuminating about what may actually have been driving comment in the chat.
Spoiler Alert: It most probably wasn't anything to do with Frosk's (sic?) "Bangability". And more to do with riling up fanboys with some pretty spicy takes, whilst showing a remarkable lack of knowledge about the product.

That "Playstation, dead man walking and doesn't have enough good exclusives" bit. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

meanspartan

Another thing I noticed that is getting less buzz - at one point she lists off some of the "amazing team" that makes this new G4 that are behind the camera. She rattles off like five or six people and implies that's not all of them.

But....their dismal youtube views can't possibly support that many people. Do they have some big sponsorships? Maybe a handful of patreon whales? How is this making any money, let alone enough for a full payroll of employees?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

But....their dismal youtube views can't possibly support that many people. Do they have some big sponsorships? Maybe a handful of patreon whales? How is this making any money, let alone enough for a full payroll of employees?
Think NBC is footing a lot of the bills and I doubt they're happy with the current situation.

meanspartan

G4 is getting a big bag of money from somewhere. They got a huge building with a huge fake controller in the lobby. Some sort of major player is funding them.
Well, unless it's someone who loves their product so much he doesn't care about torching money indefinitely, it can't last for long.

If it's NBC, an exec there better fire this chick immediately.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The current XPlay reviews and segments have been pretty good. They have good writers. Sometimes they lean on the obscure references a little too much.
The actual XPlay show seems to lean on chatting and filler.

AOTS does feel like a straight continuation of the original show. They did that right.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I don't like how they treat their interns. They have to wear intern shirts. Hopefully, that was just some kind of hazing thing.

Top Bottom