• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4TV's Relaunch is Happening Right Now

ManaByte

SlightOddIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif

Humdinger

I watched a little. Seemed very forced, "haha! isn't this funny and exciting!" Uh no, not really... Trying way too hard.

It seems like they've been launching this thing over and over. Can we just get on with it already?

I doubt I'll enjoy any of the new shows or new hosts. There was a time when I used to watch a lot of G4, but that was 20 years ago, when I was fresh into gaming. I can't see myself doing that now. I'm older now, and I don't have the patience for this anymore. And there is so much better content available now. Back then, what did you have on TV besides G4, if you were a gamer? Electronic Playground, that's about all I remember. So you had to default to G4, if you wanted something for gamers on the tube. But now, there are tons of other options.

DavJay

Cop parody was so good. The self awareness is just incredible. They even took a jab at cheaters too. Now bring back icons, cheats, cinema tech and filters top ten

im confused. Because they are live on youtube? but i finally found the channel on TV...and it says ninja warrior is on all day till 10.

and boy is it buried. Its on channel 1413 here. Which basically only the first 300 channels are normal tv. I didn't even know there were regular channels that high

Kacho

I’m not even sure who this relaunch is for. The people it’s aimed at are canceling their cable subs so where’s the upside?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No more Adam Sessler please. It's getting sad now.

I like old man Sess. He's still one of the best when it comes to accurately assessing the strengths and weaknesses of a game and reviewing them directly, with no fanboy bullshit attached. And his goofy bits still hold up - I mean his segments were the best thing about their Thanksgiving special last year.

Going from a show for boys, how woke is it now on a scale of 1 to 10?

It's not woke at all.

Last edited:

Bogard

I took it at face value, just relaxed and watched the whole thing. I thought it was a good time. Granted, I didn't get to watch much of the original days as we couldn't afford top-level satellite packages.

Woffls

Never really watched G4 but this was a lot of fun. Will watch what I can on YouTube because we don’t get ‘cable’ or whatever in the UK.

RafterXL

I watched a little. Seemed very forced, "haha! isn't this funny and exciting!" Uh no, not really... Trying way too hard.
So it's exactly the same? G4TV has always been laughably forced, over the top 1990's gamer stereotype trash. Maybe I was too old when it was first around, because their target audience was clearly young boys and stunted men, but I'm definitely too old now.

So it's exactly the same? G4TV has always been laughably forced, over the top 1990's gamer stereotype trash. Maybe I was too old when it was first around, because their target audience was clearly young boys and stunted men, but I'm definitely too old now.

It was mostly trash then. Plus you had folks like Kevin Periera that were just mind-numbingly asinine.

But it was the only channel like it, so you held your nose and watched, hoping it would get better (read: they would get more money to hire competent talking heads).

But it didn’t get better, it didn’t attract enough viewers, and here we are—a nostalgia-fueled resurrection led by the same failures that sunk the ship the first time.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Why though? With the advent of game websites, and youtube. Many people are doing what g4 used to do better than they ever did. I love g4, ill always be nostalgic for it, it served a purpose in the 90’s and early 2000’s, but it serves little purpose in 2021 when there are so many alternatives

Last edited:

ManaByte

Why though? With the advent of game websites, and youtube. Many people are doing what g4 used to do better than they ever did. I love g4, ill always be nostalgic for it, it served a purpose in the 90’s and early 2000’s, but it serves little purpose in 2021 when there are so many alternatives

Most gaming websites are just marketing mouthpieces for gaming PR. The Game Awards is their giant orgy of corruption that happens every year.

G4 started a thing trying to bring humor and personality into gaming coverage, and since they went away some gaming sites tried to copy that but none of it was ever really the same as what G4 did.

Top Bottom