• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell Teases Valve/Steam Games for Consoles This Year

Great Hair

Banned
OMFG!!!
Abominable Snowman Yeti GIF by MOODMAN

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Knife collector simulator.

There is a video that he says he would prefer to develop for the series X.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How would Steam on Xbox make any sense? Would Valve get the money? Would Microsoft get the money?
Steam Machines didn’t take off. Game Pass on Steam. Xbox becomes a PC like semi open platform. I fucking wish but sounds too good to be true.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why link to that channel, he just stole it from reddit and his own speculation is always dumb/riddled with hot takes.

It could mean anything. That if they do nothing by end of the year, it's a no. That they're working on a port of a game or two, not like they're making many these days for that to be huge news...

That they're gonna have some sort of account linking or whatever for crossplay. Or work with consoles more like game pass/microsoft. Etc.

Don't expect any console manufacturer to let you play your whole Steam backlog on their machine, natively (impossible) or streamed (I mean not from a local network, I guess they could enable Steam Link functionality, that's minor) and not buy their games directly from them/sellers.

And if it's Steam Machine v.2.0, well who even really cares, they were just branded PCs with a free OS, it's always better to buy your PC searching for best prices by part. There can never be a true Steam console as all the games are PC games.

Also, Valve time®, that end of the year could become end of 2025.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Imagine steam integration on Xbox. Like full. I can't honestly, would be an immeasurable shock to me.

Can it be possible?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Steam Machines didn’t take off. Game Pass on Steam. Xbox becomes a PC like semi open platform. I fucking wish but sounds too good to be true.

I still don't get it. With Gamepass on Steam, Valve and Microsoft somehow have to compensate third party publishers for the loss of individual sales on Steam. And how would Steam on Xbox benefit Microsoft? PC games are a lot cheaper than console.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Every time I read a comment where someone even speculates that this means your Steam library may show up on PS5/XSX, I feel profoundly worried for the future of humanity.

reksveks

I kinda just hope for better steam and xbox integration including cross play and cross platform saves.

Small dreams I know.

Antwix

Imagine steam integration on Xbox. Like full. I can't honestly, would be an immeasurable shock to me.

Can it be possible?
why not? xbox already supports keyboard/mouse support. they could just flag certain games as keyboard/mouse only if they dont work properly with a controller (like RTS games for example)

Holammer

I think this is a clear indication that HL:Alyx is headed for PS5 VR. But what if it's something wild? Like a second attempt at having CS:GO on console?

FrozenFlame

I'm probably missing something, but why is the fact that Gabe could be trolling out of the picture? Like, if we reach the end of the year and there's no Valve game on consoles, well, you also "get a better idea of that".

reksveks

why not? xbox already supports keyboard/mouse support. they could just flag certain games as keyboard/mouse only if they dont work properly with a controller (like RTS games for example)
Not with the current xbox development agreements, you have to support controller it seems.

I know it isn't the popular opinion but I agree with them as they currently are.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Thank you Saint Phil Spencer!

Seriously, Phil Spencer is probably turning into the most historic and important figure in gaming history.

Hopefully, we'll get some kind of port of the Orange box, or maybe a console port of Counter Strike (Source.....of course)

Banjo64

cumsessed
I still don't get it. With Gamepass on Steam, Valve and Microsoft somehow have to compensate third party publishers for the loss of individual sales on Steam. And how would Steam on Xbox benefit Microsoft? PC games are a lot cheaper than console.
I dunno mate.

It Works Adam Sandler GIF by Saturday Night Live

Chukhopops

I don’t get your first point, the compensation is that MS pays publishers to put their games on GP. Doesn’t change anything that GP is available via Steam or directly (same as EA Play which you can get on Steam).

The benefit for Microsoft is obvious, access to a huge catalog of PC games not currently available on Xbox.

My guess though is Steam will have its own streaming client which will be available via browsers on consoles.

Spacefish

How would Steam on Xbox make any sense? Would Valve get the money? Would Microsoft get the money?
Microsoft isn't in the game retail market anymore their primary platform is gamepass. Expanding the library of Xbox to 100x the size of their nearest competitor drives Xbox adoption which itself is just a gamepass vector.
Valve knows subscription services are the future so they stand to gain by becoming part of the gamepass delivery service on pc and Microsoft looses a few sales on Xbox while turbocharging the potential console gamepass audience.

I suspect each would share a minor cut in either scenario

Last edited:

Holammer

Why people assume that it is Xbox and not PlayStation that this refers to?
Steam on Xbox is *actual* crazy talk, but It's not crazy to assume Xbox is a part of it, Valve's gotta good working relationship with MS and this could be part of a give-and-take agreement (precisely the sort of stuff Valve does) to get Game Pass on Steam.

My wild guesses for this are:
- HL:Alyx for PS5 VR.
- DOTA2 & CSGO for PS/Xbox (can't let Wild Rift claim the console space without a fight).
- Steam chat integration on Xbox.

Top Bottom