• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell Teases Valve/Steam Games for Consoles This Year

Spacefish

some background information:
  • Microsoft is removing UWP requirement from windows store, admission from Phil spencer himself
  • rumours of a revamped store hitting windows 10 in the near future, non UWP apps are going to feature
  • rumours of gamepass using steam as an additional delivery service
Microsoft now has an incentive to kill off UWP all together and merge both Xbox and windows gamepass libraries, in this case it makes sense to push for win32 apps on xbox rather than what they had done previously which was to push UWP on windows. Steam on xbox doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Ribi

Either Gabe is trolling and saying by the end of this year you'll know your answer (no)

Or gabe trolling and saying look steam has the same games as consoles just look at Destiny 2

CitizenZ

Banned
this MS/ Steam relationship is almost a decade old now, its no secret GP will be on Steam. There is a "subscription" tab on my profile to easily add or cancel. They didnt create it just for EA.

Juza

It's just Half-Life: Alyx on consoles! ez..

I have doubts about that!

Although I really want to see Gamepass on Steam, I don't know how some publishers will accept having their games on 'Gamepass' though 'Steam' while their games also available separately on Steam, that probably would hurt their sales I guess?

Spacefish

It's just Half-Life: Alyx on consoles! ez..

I have doubts about that!

Although I really want to see Gamepass on Steam, I don't know how some publishers will accept having their games on 'Gamepass' though 'Steam' while their games also available separately on Steam, that probably would hurt their sales I guess?
It makes sense for valve to push for it because it secures their future when services take over. It's also a complaint many people have with the current gamepass situation on PC. Microsoft may not want to give valve a cut when they are re-launching their own store but there is currently enough benefit for both sides to agree. Microsoft wants gamepass to be as frictionless and platform agnostic as possible.

I don't see it concerning publishers, its not like anyone with gamepass isn't already checking it before buying games on steam, only now they can easily buy the game and continue their save if their sub runs out or it gets taken off the subscription.

Why link to that channel, he just stole it from reddit and his own speculation is always dumb/riddled with hot takes.

It could mean anything. That if they do nothing by end of the year, it's a no. That they're working on a port of a game or two, not like they're making many these days for that to be huge news...

That they're gonna have some sort of account linking or whatever for crossplay. Or work with consoles more like game pass/microsoft. Etc.

Don't expect any console manufacturer to let you play your whole Steam backlog on their machine, natively (impossible) or streamed (I mean not from a local network, I guess they could enable Steam Link functionality, that's minor) and not buy their games directly from them/sellers.

And if it's Steam Machine v.2.0, well who even really cares, they were just branded PCs with a free OS, it's always better to buy your PC searching for best prices by part. There can never be a true Steam console as all the games are PC games.

Also, Valve time®, that end of the year could become end of 2025.

Gabe Newell is fat.

Sorry. I just added a few more years of delays.

Tschumi

Sunnofa

What a crock, that's totally the kind of statement that results in a pointless HD remaster/switch port of team fortress 2 and a line of bobble toys and some posters, not a new freaking game..

Gabe getting his marketing-fuu on

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a talk at an Auckland, New Zealand area high school back in May, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell revealed they’re making “big investments in new headsets and games,” something he hopes will prepare the company for a future of brain-computer interfaces (BCI).

The event was captured on video by Reddit user ‘Odysseic’ (web archive), however a recent tweet by VR designer and tech analyst Brad Lynch revealed a smaller soundbite taken from a different angle that pointed out what went largely unreported.

On stage, Newell took several questions from students, some of which landed on Valve’s involvement in immersive technologies such as AR, VR, and BCI. To Newell, AR and VR aren’t end goals as such, but rather steps along the way to a future of widespread BCI, something he’s likened many times in the past to The Matrix in terms of how immersive and interactive the technology will be.

“There are interesting questions, like: are things sort of stable end goals or are they transition points? My view, which is not in the accepted middle realm, is that VR and AR are transition points towards brain-computer interfaces. Everything you have to do in terms of controls in games, in terms of understanding visual processing, in terms of competent design are leading you towards brain-computer interfaces and what they do.”
Continuing:

“I think brain-computer interfaces are going to be incredibly disruptive, one of the more disruptive technology transitions we’re going to go through. So I think it’s super valuable. We’re making big investments in new headsets and games for those application categories, but also looking further down the road and saying, ‘what’s that evolve into?'”

Answering a question on whether he was happy with the current direction immersive technologies are taking, Newell maintained that although Half-Life: Alyx demonstrates what the company thinks VR is capable of right now, more is yet to come.

Half-Life: Alyx was sort of our best statement on what we think the opportunities are, and I think that encapsulates our current best thinking on that. And it also informs the decisions we’re making on the next generation of headsets we’re developing.”

M16

some background information:
  • Microsoft is removing UWP requirement from windows store, admission from Phil spencer himself
  • rumours of a revamped store hitting windows 10 in the near future, non UWP apps are going to feature
Microsoft now has an incentive to kill off UWP all together and merge both Xbox and windows gamepass libraries, in this case it makes sense to push for win32 apps on xbox rather than what they had done previously which was to push UWP on windows. Steam on xbox doesn't seem that crazy to me.
1.the MICROSOFT (not windows)store didnt have UWP requirements for ages now. Games have been win32 for the most part.
2.the new store for windows 10 is already released
3.and what the hell is steam on xbox? steam is just a store frontend and middleware. the games are running on a microsoft OS using microsoft APIs.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

1.the MICROSOFT (not windows)store didnt have UWP requirements for ages now. Games have been win32 for the most part.
2.the new store for windows 10 is already released
3.and what the hell is steam on xbox? steam is just a store frontend and middleware. the games are running on a microsoft OS using microsoft APIs.

Steam on xbox means your entire PC library on xbox + a fuck ton more games on xbox while at it.

Steam on xbox is huge. Because it basically makes xbox the dream steam PC that valve wanted to make and a good way for people to buy a capable PC that could run everything for cheap.

Both win out on this big time.

M16

Steam on xbox means your entire PC library on xbox + a fuck ton more games on xbox while at it.

Steam on xbox is huge. Because it basically makes xbox the dream steam PC that valve wanted to make and a good way for people to buy a capable PC that could run everything for cheap.

Both win out on this big time.
you dont understand how it works. steam is just a storefront where you can purchase games(also as middleware for networking,entitlements,chat,etc..), but the games are made for windows using the APIs of windows. every single game would have to be ported to xbox(yes xbox runs a version of windows, but its a stripped down version that is not compatible with running regular win32 based games on).

Corndog

Banned
you dont understand how it works. steam is just a storefront where you can purchase games(also as middleware for networking,entitlements,chat,etc..), but the games are made for windows using the APIs of windows. every single game would have to be ported to xbox(yes xbox runs a version of windows, but its a stripped down version that is not compatible with running regular win32 based games on).
Couldn’t you use a vm?

M16

Couldn’t you use a vm?
you could run regular windows in a VM, but there are so many problems with that . thats why xbox doesnt use regular desktop windows. despite it being close to a PC, it still really isnt a regular PC.
dont forget devs use xbox specific low level apis to tap into specialized hardware. running regular windows in a vm, with the size and resources it consumes, using generic hardware drivers, performance will not be good.

Kenpachii

Xbox is basically a laptop, microsoft makes windows. Its straight up a non issue. Whenever booting up steam it can boot up a entire different OS on the background made specifically for steam.

Just as a point of reference, is the difference between Windows and the Xbox version of Windows, greater than the difference between Windows and Linux?

Scotty W

Gold Member
OMFG!!!
Abominable Snowman Yeti GIF by MOODMAN

M16

Just as a point of reference, is the difference between Windows and the Xbox version of Windows, greater than the difference between Windows and Linux?
No. It's still windows, just a stripped down version. For example, since it's a VM based system where we have the hypervisor, game OS(where the games run), and system OS( where the shell lives), let's say the game os needs networking, it has to communicate and go through the system OS for that since game os is stripped of these components.

No. It's still windows, just a stripped down version. For example, since it's a VM based system where we have the hypervisor, game OS(where the games run), and system OS( where the shell lives), let's say the game os needs networking, it has to communicate and go through the system OS for that since game os is stripped of these components.
My inquiry was meant to be in this sort of cheeky way where one is perfectly aware of the answer, and deliberately asks the question in an innocently elaborate manner to underscore an implied, important piece of well-known information, relevant to the post they are replying to.

In this case, I'd like to point out that Valve have already ported Windows to Linux. For the most part, quite successfully. If the Xbox OS is not as different from Windows as Linux is, the same compatibility-layer approach should be perfectly feasible, especially since the maker of both the OSes is right there to make the necessary changes.

M16

My inquiry was meant to be in this sort of cheeky way where one is perfectly aware of the answer, and deliberately asks the question in an innocently elaborate manner to underscore an implied, important piece of well-known information, relevant to the post they are replying to.

In this case, I'd like to point out that Valve have already ported Windows to Linux. For the most part, quite successfully. If the Xbox OS is not as different from Windows as Linux is, the same compatibility-layer approach should be perfectly feasible, especially since the maker of both the OSes is right there to make the necessary changes.
valves compatibility layer is a fork of wine, that has been in development for decades. valve did not simply create it overnight. not only that, it also leaves alot of performance on the table.
read my post above where i said consoles make sure of some console specific APIs because of their specialized hardware. using generic drivers/APIs like on desktop windows or linux will yield poor performance, thats why games will still need to be ported.
microsoft could have slapped regular windows with the xbox shell and called it a day, but they didnt, and there is a reason for that. there is also a reason why PC games have an xbox specific version, and even microsoft, the creators of windows, dont have some type of compatibility layer.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I can understand wanting specific games to your platform, but why are we excited about steam on xbox again? You already have a storefront you buy your games from.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I can understand wanting specific games to your platform, but why are we excited about steam on xbox again? You already have a storefront you buy your games from.
2 separate store fronts = competitive pricing.

Would KB+M be supported as standard?

Access to PC exclusive games.

Access to PlayStation first party on Xbox.

Schmick

hmmm.... I don't think that is happening. If it does.... then surely Sony will re-evaluate their stance with regards to PCs.

And more to the point... do people really think Steam could come to Xbox?

Last edited:

Skifi28

How does a store alone gives you access to exclusive games or input features? Individual games would still have to be ported to the platform or patched for the new input methods, which could be done without the store anyway. I think people just hear steam and get giddy without really knowing why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom