• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF declares NCAA 06 is garbage. Reviewers blow it on another sports game!

baghdad-bob.jpg

nothing to see here friends! go back to your regular threads! ncaa is a hit with men, women, children and reviewers alike! EA's dominance is supreme, and NCAA is another jewel in the EA sports crown! thank you!

EA Sports games are assigned a 8.8 - 9.2 score automatically, no matter what the content of the games are...

On a different note, I read the IGN prospectus and their top avertising customers are Activision, Atari, Blockbuster, and EA. So you really don't want to piss off your top customers too much by giving their big games low scores.

EA Sports games are assigned a 8.8 - 9.2 score automatically, no matter what the content of the games are...

On a different note, I read the IGN prospectus and their top avertising customers are Activision, Atari, Blockbuster, and EA. So you really don't want to piss off your top customers too much by giving their big games low scores.

well, their football games anyways. i've seen NHL + NBA Live get some low/average scores over the past 5 or 6 years.

but you are right. 1up.com even edited CK's review of NCAA cause it said you should probably just wait for the superior game, madden football. not like EA is the only one doing that though (nintendo with donkey konga, for instance)

Cloudy

Banned
Heh, let's see if Madden starts to go this route as well since there is now no competition (like NCAA has had for a while)

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
NCAA 2006 is a broken piece of garbage. I am so glad that I didn't commit to the GAF league, I probably would have broken a control or two by now.

I have never ever seen so many hit detection issues in a sports game before.

I have had the ball go through players TWICE so far and I have only played 9 games. I caught a TD pass that went through the defenders head and I once had the ball go through my upper chest/neck area and get caught by the opposing TE (who was being doubled teamed and had an arm through his head). Absolutely ridiculous.

Once again I have been burnt by EAsports NCAA football. Stupid me.

bdoughty

Banned
Truelize said:
NCAA 2006 is a broken piece of garbage. I am so glad that I didn't commit to the GAF league, I probably would have broken a control or two by now.

I have never ever seen so many hit detection issues in a sports game before.

I have had the ball go through players TWICE so far and I have only played 9 games. I caught a TD pass that went through the defenders head and I once had the ball go through my upper chest/neck area and get caught by the opposing TE (who was being doubled teamed and had an arm through his head). Absolutely ridiculous.

Once again I have been burnt by EAsports NCAA football. Stupid me.

That has been in the NCAA/Madden series this whole generation, you should be used to it by now. Watching a replay in Madden or NCAA can make your eyes bleed and 101 in how not to do hit collision. Even the VC football games had it, just not as bad.

I think NCAA 2006 is great for two simple reasons. The CPU will run the ball and running the option has never been better. The RFTH was a crappy idea and should be abolished. As long as they don't screw up the dynasty mode I am happy.

To each their own. College football makes me happy.

gstaff

bdoughty said:
That has been in the NCAA/Madden series this whole generation, you should be used to it by now. Watching a replay in Madden or NCAA can make your eyes bleed and 101 in how not to do hit collision. Even the VC football games had it, just not as bad.

I think NCAA 2006 is great for two simple reasons. The CPU will run the ball and running the option has never been better. The RFTH was a crappy idea and should be abolished. As long as they don't screw up the dynasty mode I am happy.

To each their own. College football makes me happy.

I think the game is fine...worthy of a B+/A-. I guess the real issue is that the improvements for the game during this generation have been minimal, but at least it improved from the disaster that was NCAA 2005.

bdoughty

Banned
gstaff said:
I think the game is fine...worthy of a B+/A-. I guess the real issue is that the improvements for the game during this generation have been minimal, but at least it improved from the disaster that was NCAA 2005.

Exactly plus they did add alot of new animations to the game and for once grass looks like grass on the Xbox (YES I LOVES THE GRAPHICS) and is not a washed out mess.

Honestly I expected much less from EA as this will be the last NCAA sold exclusively on this gernation consoles.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Rorschach said:
My spidey senses work again and I avoid another stinker. :D

You and me both. Too bad EA, if it had been $40 I would have jumped earlier this week. Now I wait for Madden.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
bdoughty said:
Exactly plus they did add alot of new animations to the game and for once grass looks like grass on the Xbox (YES I LOVES THE GRAPHICS) and is not a washed out mess.

Honestly I expected much less from EA as this will be the last NCAA sold exclusively on this gernation consoles.

So you don't have a problem with the broken tackles, the terrible pass blocking, the tipped passes, the alligator arms you get when you are tying to tip a pass on defense, the long ball being highly overpowered while it is still nearly impossible to play the short game (expect for hitting back in the flats) or the rubberband AI?
Wow! I wish I had bought the same game as you cause mine might have better looking grass but it has all these other problems.
Wanna trade?

bdoughty

Banned
Truelize said:
So you don't have a problem with the broken tackles, the terrible pass blocking, the tipped passes, the alligator arms you get when you are tying to tip a pass on defense, the long ball being highly overpowered while it is still nearly impossible to play the short game (expect for hitting back in the flats) or the rubberband AI?
Wow! I wish I had bought the same game as you cause mine might have better looking grass but it has all these other problems.
Wanna trade?

Sure I have a problem with many issues (not everything you listed and some you did not). I have had many similar problem throughout the series. Until you can convince EA to share the NCAA license then I guess I have to deal with the problems. Mind you through posting on sports gaming sites we do let the developers know what is wrong with the game. Unfortauntely at EA the suits tend to have a little more say into how much time is spent on any game and what is done to it.

I also have this little thing embedded in my brain that reminds me that as long as HUMANS make the game and the AI is created by that same species there will always be flaws. It's just a video game afterall and if you are looking for perfection then I suggest turning on the TV in August when the games start.

baghdad-bob.jpg

After all is said and done, NCAA Football 2006 definitely delivers on the field and is very much the best playing installment in the franchise.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cerebral Palsy said:
baghdad-bob.jpg

After all is said and done, NCAA Football 2006 definitely delivers on the field and is very much the best playing installment in the franchise.

I still stand by my review.

While it is a lot more fun to just drop back and heave it up there, there are some problems in this area. For one, with a quarterback that has a high accuracy rating, it's possible to drop passes in the receiver's hands perfectly and go on long completion streaks even with the defense perfectly positioned to make a stop. To compound the issue, the defense seems to have trouble with passes that come in high; the receiver will jump and the DB covering them sometimes has trouble compensating which can make for some hairy situations in a tight ball game. That said, playing out of a predominantly pass oriented offense like that of the Florida Gators is as fun as it is effective.

The juke maneuvers have gotten to the point that, with proper timing, it's possible to break the ankles of every on-coming defender, and the shoulder charge makes it easy to create a hole where there previously wasn't one. What's worse is if you're playing defense and the other team has a running back that is an impact player. A few times per game the impact RB will make plays that are much more than any other RB, no matter how good they are, can ever do. The defense can barely afford to not double-team him on every potential rushing down.

I clearly outlined the problems, and the pluses. What's funny is that I gave it a score on the low end and you're still giving me shit? What do you have to say to IGN and EGM?

Whatever though, I think offline play in dynasty and heisman is so good, that it easily merits the 8.5.

Edit: And as FMT points out, I put into my review that if you just want a football game while waiting for Madden, to play Madden 05, but that was mysteriously absent. Face it, I had the most honest review, and I pointed out more flaws than anyone else.

bdoughty

Banned
A good review had no idea you wrote it. Of course I don't even know you so that is really moot. :)

While the impact player is a bit much on offense (when you use them) it definately makes you think more on defense. This is the first NCAA where stopping the run can be a chore. Where they will continue to run if they are a running team. A CPU driven impact player will do just that and force you to play defense against their strength (kind of like how it works in real life). Sure it may seem overblown at times but it is hard to hit it perfect and please everyone.

It is just like dropped passes. While the % of completions can be a little low it is not as bad as last year. The main gripe is still the amount of drops. EA choses to put more drops then over/under throws. This is an area where they can not win. To use Tennis as an example. If you make a realistic tennis game with all the unforced errors it would drive the casual gamers nuts. many go nuts with they very few unforced errors in games like Top Spin. So if you take control out of the gamers hands the majority will be angry. By having drops you can bandage the control by making the user think it was their fault (for those who control receivers) in some of the cases.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bdoughty said:
While the impact player is a bit much on offense (when you use them) it definately makes you think more on defense. This is the first NCAA where stopping the run can be a chore. Where they will continue to run if they are a running team. A CPU driven impact player will do just that and force you to play defense against their strength (kind of like how it works in real life). Sure it may seem overblown at times but it is hard to hit it perfect and please everyone.

That's actually the whole point of impact players. The game even mentions it in one of the videos! The game, NCAA, is a chess match. Can you really blame the game for your lack of planning? Why aren't you doubling FMT's RB? Why are you passing to wideouts who are rattled (increasing your chances of drops)? Why are you throwing to an area occupied by a fully composed safety? Honestly this isn't Arcade Football USA 2006 where you can just march downfield with whatever kind of play and playstyle you want. There's a reason HFA is in there, there's a reason coach cam is in, there's a reason the matchup stick is in there. If you don't take full advantage of a feature which in-game tutorials tell you will play a big part in the game, I have no sympathy for you not liking the game.

Fact of the matter is this: The game is not Madden. Stop wishing it to be Madden. The series has always been a more heady football game than it's NFL counterpart.

bdoughty said:
It is just like dropped passes. While the % of completions can be a little low it is not as bad as last year. The main gripe is still the amount of drops. EA choses to put more drops then over/under throws. This is an area where they can not win. To use Tennis as an example. If you make a realistic tennis game with all the unforced errors it would drive the casual gamers nuts. many go nuts with they very few unforced errors in games like Top Spin. So if you take control out of the gamers hands the majority will be angry. By having drops you can bandage the control by making the user think it was their fault (for those who control receivers) in some of the cases.

I think we all expect drops. The problem has everything to do with passes that should be caught being dropped, and the ones that shouldn't actually being caught. Deep bombs into triple coverage is a higher percentage pass than throwing to a wide open receiver for a 5-10 yard gain in this game. I don't mind if my player gets smacked and drops the ball. But watching 15 wide open passes being dropped in a single game is ridiculous. Maybe next year EA will make it so the catches that should be caught will be, and the ridiculous bombs to a receiver who is manwhiched by the defense won't be?

Wellington said:
That's actually the whole point of impact players. The game even mentions it in one of the videos! The game, NCAA, is a chess match. Can you really blame the game for your lack of planning? Why aren't you doubling FMT's RB? Why are you passing to wideouts who are rattled (increasing your chances of drops)? Why are you throwing to an area occupied by a fully composed safety? Honestly this isn't Arcade Football USA 2006 where you can just march downfield with whatever kind of play and playstyle you want. There's a reason HFA is in there, there's a reason coach cam is in, there's a reason the matchup stick is in there. If you don't take full advantage of a feature which in-game tutorials tell you will play a big part in the game, I have no sympathy for you not liking the game.

Fact of the matter is this: The game is not Madden. Stop wishing it to be Madden. The series has always been a more heady football game than it's NFL counterpart.

As for the running game and impact players... I don't have a major problem with either. Everyone has complained about FMT's running game with UCLA. While I've seen a few ridiculous runs playing him, I've still done pretty well containing his running game. The running game definitely hasn't been the reason why I've lost to him the last few games for sure.

Btw, settle down. I was just giving you some shit. And while the single player game might be 8.5 worthy... I don't believe you would feel the same way about the online play after playing with us for the last week. It's really too bad I only care about online gameplay. I feel like I'm missing out on something here.

bdoughty

Banned
Wellington said:

LOL was that referring to me? You kept mentioning "you" as if you are talking to me. I was the one who liked the game and understood the concept of the impact players.

bdoughty

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
I think we all expect drops. The problem has everything to do with passes that should be caught being dropped, and the ones that shouldn't actually being caught. Deep bombs into triple coverage is a higher percentage pass than throwing to a wide open receiver for a 5-10 yard gain in this game. I don't mind if my player gets smacked and drops the ball. But watching 15 wide open passes being dropped in a single game is ridiculous. Maybe next year EA will make it so the catches that should be caught will be, and the ridiculous bombs to a receiver who is manwhiched by the defense won't be?

Again when you are dealing with AI there is no way to make every pass/catch/drop go just as you want it to, or as you would think it would happen in "real life". This is where the "it is a VIDEOGAME" mode has to kick in.

If you played a game of NCAA 2005 last year and it had Texas Tech beating Nebraska 70-10 how many people would have complined about that? I could come up with hudreds of stats from each year that would make you call BS had you not seen the game, yet they happened.

bdoughty said:
Again when you are dealing with AI there is no way to make every pass/catch/drop go just as you want it to, or as you would think it would happen in "real life". This is where the "it is a VIDEOGAME" mode has to kick in.

If you played a game of NCAA 2005 last year and it had Texas Tech beating Nebraska 70-10 how many people would have complined about that? I could come up with hudreds of stats from each year that would make you call BS had you not seen the game, yet they happened.

Sorry, this is a no spin zone. Make up excuses all you want. EA dropped the ball big time again this year with NCAA's passing game.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bdoughty said:
LOL was that referring to me? You kept mentioning "you" as if you are talking to me. I was the one who liked the game and understood the concept of the impact players.

Nah it was a general 'you'.

Slo

I hope this souring experience doesn't carry over into the Madden leagues. It will probably take me the entire first league to even get back into the groove of things. I don't want to have to live with a 3-13 season until Madden 2007. :(

i'm not as anti-NCAA as some people are, but here is my major problem:

it is (while not impossible), very difficult to get a consistent and varied drive going. ok, i understand about being rattled. fine. but when i can't even depend on my playmaker tightend to catch a WIDE OPEN 5 yard out, what the fuck can i do to get my drive started? it's just ridiculous. THEN, i throw to that same tight end who is double-teamed on a 40 yard pass and he catches it flawlessly.

i can't overlook that. i can deal with anything else in the game as i feel its not THAT big of a deal. people complain about my RB breaking tackles, but the truth of the matter is he can be stopped. there are people in the league with better RB's than me. there are people who have stopped my running game. yeah, it sucks when you make the right call and my rb breaks a tackle and goes all the way. so what. but the drops... man those fucking piss me off and it makes it nearly impossible for me to respect the game.

bdoughty

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
Sorry, this is a no spin zone. Make up excuses all you want. EA dropped the ball big time again this year with NCAA's passing game.

Well so you say, I still enjoy the passing game. I promise you that of all the posters at the GAF I would be one of the least likely to defend Electronic Arts or spin something. Of course I run the option with the Naval acadamey so I do not pass a ton and I expect a few more drops from a team that runs the option. I also do not throw the long bomb more then once or twice a game and that is on a PA, which you expect to fool the D and complete at least one long shot per game.

bill0527

I'm sick to death of this game already. I'm this close to throwing it up on ebay.

The passing game is still atrocious. The only thing changed from last year is that they've upped the completion percentage chance to hit the bomb.

I've played through 2 and a half Race for the Heisman seasons. I'm a pocket QB and I've got a 93 rating. I have 2 receivers with 93 and 90 ratings respectively. They drop passes so much that it isn't even funny anymore. I swear to god I hear that Corso/Herbstreidt commentary about how 'this incompletion is credited to the wide receiver' and 'you CANNOT drop wide open passes', at least a dozen times per game.

At least the slowdown is better for the Xbox version this year, but its still definately there in certain circumstances. This is what, the 4th or 5th year of this franchise using the same engine, and they STILL cannot eliminate the slowdown. Last year, it was impossible to run up the middle because your HB would act like he was wearing concrete shoes while running through a swamp.

Same damn playbooks.
Same damn commentary.
Same damn dropped pass excessively syndrome.
Same damn idiot (me) who continues to buy this crap every year.

I can't speak for the online portion. Until the day comes when I can crawl through my opponent's TV and kick the ever loving holy crap out of him for cheesing, I'll stick to single player and multi in my own living room.

bdoughty

Banned
Have not seen the slowdown this year. My big complaint with the playbooks will continue to be all the options plays listed on teams that would never run it.

pilonv1

I can live with the dropped passes (they happen to both teams), I can live with the pathetic playbooks (I'll edit my own) and I can live with the missed tackles. I cannot however live with the incredible accuracy and regularity of CPU long bombs. I've tried numerous sets of sliders and every defense in the game, but long passes are still a lottery. I can play 3-3-5, 4-2-5 or Dime, drop everyone back with a double on their best reciever or playing Cover 3 zone, and they still complete 50 yard passes. What makes it worse is that their QB will fire a ball over their RB's head on a flat pass, or their TE will drop a wide open ball across the middle. Yet throw it 40 yards down field in double coverage and they will outjump my DBs with no arms, break both tackles and run it in for a score. I'm currenty 117th in the nation in Pass Defense and Total Defense in my UTEP dynasty.

EAJAPAN

I've got the same problem as well. My OVR 90 WR is in the zone and wide open, yet he drops the pass that's right on his numbers. Next play he catches the ball in triple coverage. :lol

Roll on Madden.

bdoughty said:
Well so you say, I still enjoy the passing game. I promise you that of all the posters at the GAF I would be one of the least likely to defend Electronic Arts or spin something. Of course I run the option with the Naval acadamey so I do not pass a ton and I expect a few more drops from a team that runs the option. I also do not throw the long bomb more then once or twice a game and that is on a PA, which you expect to fool the D and complete at least one long shot per game.

Just because you mostly run the option and don't abuse the flaws in the passing game doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

FightyF

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
well, their football games anyways. i've seen NHL + NBA Live get some low/average scores over the past 5 or 6 years.

but you are right. 1up.com even edited CK's review of NCAA cause it said you should probably just wait for the superior game, madden football. not like EA is the only one doing that though (nintendo with donkey konga, for instance)

I called NHL 2002 the worst game of 2001 and EA didn't get all pissy with my paper. We still got tons of games from them.

EA was smart not to mess with me....

;/

bdoughty

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
Just because you mostly run the option and don't abuse the flaws in the passing game doesn't mean it isn't a problem.

Once again you are correct but every game I play has problems. Even my beloved Winning Eleven series has problems. There are a few running plays that are "Money" for me. Sure they are not 40 yard strikes money but I am confident I can get 5-10 yards a pop (and this is with a Navy team - with OU I could kill the game with Peterson). I have learned that the juke move is deadly if used too often so I bring my right thumb away from the thumbstick against inferior opponents. There are the things "I do" to help make the game as realistic for me as possible. They are problems which I am able to overcome with a little self control. It's not like we have a choice of NCAA football games to choose from. I think EA gave us the game we deserved in place of 2005. I feel EA has screwed a gernation of Xbox owners by porting all their PS2 titles and giving us slowdown in previous titles. I can't change these things but when college football hits I like to have a video game to play some of the matchups leading up to the game. I love running their Dynasty mode and running the option in this years game. I love taking my little North Texas squad and attempting to turn them into a powerhouse. I enjoy playing classic games with my beloved Sooners trying to stop the option attack of Nebraska.

I do not forgive EA for their sins. I simply realize they are the only game in town to get my fix. If that requires me to not run a post pattern every other play and learn how to properly time my DB to swat away those attempts then so be it. I have also seen what others can do when they make a college football game (Gamebreaker, College Football 2K2/2K3) and none of those were worth the price of admission this gen. I exclude the first couple of Gamebreakers on the PSX as they were not that bad.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I love Mr.Bob.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I was really pleased with NCAA 2004 and since then the series has made a turn for the worse. EA overemphasizes their new features (HFA and Impact Players) and can't seem to fix problems that are pointed out year after year.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I thought the game was ok. Definitely more arcade than previous versions. But If Madden is going to be the sim everyone is claiming it to be, then it is good to have a game with some arcade elements. To call it garbage is going a bit far, IMO.

Top Bottom