• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf help me, are there any good online games like Mw4 remastered?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm playing modern warfare remastered on my xbox and while active, it can be hard to find lobbies on a Saturday.

I find newer cods too twitchy, and I hate battle royale, so my options are pretty limited.

I've heard about insurgency, but that ain't exactly like cod as its more tactical.

Battlefield 2042 is shit and I also find their maps too big.

Apex should have some 3v3 but then I could just play mwr as well as there's usually more in the matches there.

I just want fun maps, weapons and cosmetics unlocks, is it really too much to ask for?

Are non BR shooters just dead?

I mean it sounds like you just want the modern warfare experience exactly, everything else is too this or too that. I would encourage you to check out insurgency, or squad, or other more tactical shooters before writing them off. Contractors on quest 2 is also an interesting possibility. There’s no progression but with mods you can relive some of COD’s greatest map hits in VR like you’re really there. As far as fun maps, weapons, and cosmetic unlocks that sounds like overwatch to me. Is it just the lack if players, or are you bored with the game for another reason?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly OP you are stuck with the same things the Fortnite kids think is good/cool Valorent, Apex, CoD Etc.

Or you dabble into the more tactical shooters like Hell Let Loose or Insurgency.

I mean this void was what Halo Infinite was supported to fill before 343 forgot they where supposed to have content to go with there game...

If your on PC have you tried Team Fortress 2? Yeah it's 15 years old but it has the content, weapons and gameplay. Otherwise your out of luck really.

Last edited:

BigBooper

No, there is no game that is a clone of MW4 remastered, let alone that also has more players than MW4 remastered.

You might try the earlier Battlefields. 3 and 4 are still pretty active. 1 is real active, but it has big maps.

Rogue Company is another one to try. I think the map design is reminiscent of COD.

Jaybe

Gears 5 if you want to try it out for something different (less twitch, arena maps), but probably a low population as well.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Try Insurgency Sandstorm. It is tactical, but a really good blend between hardcore and arcade. you can jump into games quickly, and the maps aren't so huge that you're more than 150m from the center of the action.

Domination mode is fast and hectic like COD. Push is the traditional play style where one side defends points (usually 4 then a cache) with 20 waves. Attackers have 5, and get 5 for each point. Frontline is like push, but both teams are attacking and defending points. Firefight is similar to CS, except you can respawn if your team takes a point. There is also an extraction/body guard mode.

There's really no game quite like Insurgency. I highly recommend it.

Rac3r

Gears 5 if you want to try it out for something different (less twitch, arena maps), but probably a low population as well.

Gears is pretty twitchy though, esp if you play ranked (wall bouncing/cancel). Quick play is easy but sadly there’s not many people playing and lobbies get autofilled with bots.

OP, maybe try Hell Let Loose. Maps are pretty big, but it’s tactical and not twitchy.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I mean it sounds like you just want the modern warfare experience exactly, everything else is too this or too that. I would encourage you to check out insurgency, or squad, or other more tactical shooters before writing them off
I've tried arma 3 years ago, it wasnt really for me. Pretty slow. Same goes with squad.

Insurgency sounds really tactical and AFAIK you can't really unlock skins and weapons, you have to buy them right?

Isn't insurgency more like BF squad mode?

Honestly OP you are stuck with the same things the Fortnite kids think is good/cool Valorent, Apex, CoD Etc.

Or you dabble into the more tactical shooters like Hell Let Loose or Insurgency.

I mean this void was what Halo Infinite was supported to fill before 343 forgot they where supposed to have content to go with there game...

If your on PC have you tried Team Fortress 2? Yeah it's 15 years old but it has the content, weapons and gameplay. Otherwise your out of luck really.
You cant blame a man to look for games he'd enjoy.

I've tried the different types of games, even battle royale.

Halo Infinite was cool for a month until the lack of maps killed it for me.

I don't enjoy team fortress or overwatch as I want to make my own load out and frankly I can't stand any of the weapons in team fortress.

Overwatch is okish but I'm not really into hero shooters.

Guess the age of slow paced cod'isque games are over and I have to stick to the same 10 people to play with lol.

By the way, I also tried gears 5. I'm looking for a shooter with normal movement and combat and not speed sprinting over to the next wall.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've tried arma 3 years ago, it wasnt really for me. Pretty slow. Same goes with squad.

Insurgency sounds really tactical and AFAIK you can't really unlock skins and weapons, you have to buy them right?

Isn't insurgency more like BF squad mode?

You cant blame a man to look for games he'd enjoy.

I've tried the different types of games, even battle royale.

Halo Infinite was cool for a month until the lack of maps killed it for me.

I don't enjoy team fortress or overwatch as I want to make my own load out and frankly I can't stand any of the weapons in team fortress.

Overwatch is okish but I'm not really into hero shooters.

Guess the age of slow paced cod'isque games are over and I have to stick to the same 10 people to play with lol.

By the way, I also tried gears 5. I'm looking for a shooter with normal movement and combat and not speed sprinting over to the next wall.
Insurgency you unlock cosmetics. Some cosmetics and weapon skins are dlc. Yes it's a very tactical game.

V4skunk

Banned
I'm playing modern warfare remastered on my xbox and while active, it can be hard to find lobbies on a Saturday.

I find newer cods too twitchy, and I hate battle royale, so my options are pretty limited.

I've heard about insurgency, but that ain't exactly like cod as its more tactical.

Apex should have some 3v3 but then I could just play mwr as well as there's usually more in the matches there.

I just want fun maps, weapons and cosmetics unlocks, is it really too much to ask for?

Halo Infinite has free multiplayer.
Try it out. Its OK but lacks regular updates.

This is the worst feelings in the hobby. When you have an online experience that barely or doesn’t exist at all anymore.

I’d recommend Halo Infinite because it’s free to try but it won’t scratch that specific itch.

As weird as it may sound I would kill a man for original Kane and Lynch: Dead Men - Fragile Alliance with a dedicated fan base. Fuck Payday.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
This topic pretty much illustrates why Halo Infinite MP is so bad in its current state. There is literally a void of good options and there are people interested. However, despite being technically competente, it lacks content to hold people for more than a few weeks. It is very likely that when they fix the game there will be another better option.

wipeout364

Black ops Cold War is pretty similar, uses an older version of engine so feels closer to the older games.

Also limits games to 6. Vs 6 which keeps mayhem down.

Last edited:
What about splitgate?
Agreed, OP try it out if you haven't. Just keep in mind it's inspired more by the first 4 Halo games(1,2,3, and Reach) with a hint of Portal.

tumblr_ppt7n0H2401si4jeeo3_500.gifv

Here's a random gameplay clip

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Siege?

You might like BF4, BF1 or BF V but playing modes like Domination/Squad CQ/TDM/War pigeons - mainly infantry stuff.

The_Mike

Halo Infinite has free multiplayer.
Try it out. Its OK but lacks regular updates.
I played it a lot for like a month, then I felt worn out because of the lack of content.
What about splitgate?
Seems OK but it has a low player base (1k on pc don't know about xbox) so seems like I will run into the same problem.)
Crossfirex ;lol
I have played it. A little. Pretty mediocre and bareboned. Also lacks content and feels cheap.
Play Destiny 2
Destiny is straight up bad and nothing like cod really.

I'm not interested in grinding gear in a mmo lite, and I also don't want Bungie to steal my money by occasionally remove content I paid for.
Siege?

You might like BF4, BF1 or BF V but playing modes like Domination/Squad CQ/TDM/War pigeons - mainly infantry stuff.
Siege isn't really tdm dom ctf. I know they recently got a tdm mode, but that's only for warm ups. I heard rewards are pretty bad there compared to normal modes.

I have played all the BF games and grew tired of them. Even the smaller game modes have pretty big open maps with no tactic besides using a sniper and just gun people down.

Apex is getting 3v3v3 death match I think

I played it a lot for like a month, then I felt worn out because of the lack of content.

Seems OK but it has a low player base (1k on pc don't know about xbox) so seems like I will run into the same problem.)

I have played it. A little. Pretty mediocre and bareboned. Also lacks content and feels cheap.

Destiny is straight up bad and nothing like cod really.

I'm not interested in grinding gear in a mmo lite, and I also don't want Bungie to steal my money by occasionally remove content I paid for.

Siege isn't really tdm dom ctf. I know they recently got a tdm mode, but that's only for warm ups. I heard rewards are pretty bad there compared to normal modes.

I have played all the BF games and grew tired of them. Even the smaller game modes have pretty big open maps with no tactic besides using a sniper and just gun people down.

Dude has an answer for everything. Wants modern warfare COD when an annual, mainline COD dedicated to this timeline hasn't been released in ages. Thinks there's somehow a game out there that he's not heard of that outdoes MW:RE at the genre it put on the map for consoles AND has a bigger, more active population. Ok buddy.

The game is crossplay with consoles. I can't vouch for the other games, but I've had no problems finding matches in Splitgate at any time of day for any playlist. For now, the player count is a non-issue.

Dude has an answer for everything. Wants modern warfare COD when an annual, mainline COD dedicated to this timeline hasn't been released in ages. Thinks there's somehow a game out there that he's not heard of that outdoes MW:RE at the genre it put on the map for consoles AND has a bigger, more active population. Ok buddy.
I'm taking the OP's request seriously for the time being. If this ends up being one of those threads where the OP refuses all other options because the real answer is that they actually just want to relive their past or childhood, then I'm out.

Last edited:
The heart wants what it wants, i think OP should take a break for a while, when no games are fun anymore you might just be oversaturated.

DonF

Never had a problem finding a match. It's 4v4 after all so it takes a little player base to fill a match.

Warablo

Hunt Showdown, or Hell Let Loose. Sadly no modern shooters scratch that itch for me anymore. Rainbow Six Siege was good but haven't played that in like 3 years.

Top Bottom