• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF- Help me buy a digicam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachinko

I"m going to buy a digital camera for my japan trip in a weeks time. I want something middle ranged, don't need a top of the line 5.0 megapixel juggernaught. I'm no proffesional photographer and I don't need to pretend I am.

So I have a bestbuy gift card I got at Xmas that I intend to use to buy this thing with, I live in canada so any money amount that I list will be in canadian dollars.

Any advice as to what I should buy on top of the camera itself is also much appreciated, I'd planned on buying atleast 1 extra memory cartridge to store more pictures and I've read about docking bays or something... My total price limit on everything is possibly 350 $ , no more then 400 though and that's with tax. Thanks guys.

Saturnman

Banned
Depends on a couple of things. Do you own some portable devices like MP3 players or perhaps another digicam? It's important because they use memory cards and you can perhaps recycle whatever memory card format they use with your new camera and save some money that way.

It also depends on what you will take pictures of. If it is just people, flowers and indoor shots, then any general use camera that is for you.

Off the top of my head, you can consider the Canon PowerShot A70. It's a 3-megapixel camera, is very well liked and it has a whole host of settings and manual controls, just in case you grow tired of its automatic mode at some point and decide to learn more about photography. It's possible you will find its successor the A75, but I insist you look for the A70, it's practically the same camera and you can get it for at least a $100 cheaper.

706224_125.jpg

There's the Nikon Coolpix 3200. It's a 3-megapixel camera with lots of features. It's nice and small. Heard some great things about it. You can find it around $300, I believe.

2281125_125.jpg

Despite my hatred for Sony, they do make some nice digicams. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72. It's 3 megapixels, easy to use and small. Might be for you. The 4 megapixel DSC-P43 could also be an option for you (costs a bit over $300):

699664_125.jpg

Fuji makes some nice low-priced camera. The FujiFilm FinePix A205 is one of them. The Finepix A330 and A340 could be for you as well. You get a bit more megapixels with those for some extra $.

987036_125.jpg

However, if you're going to take pictures of landmarks, landscapes and animals on farway tree branches, you will need either more megapixels to get those details (take big detailed pictures and then crop the part you want) and/or more optical zoom to actually get those shots (you can't afford most long-zoom digicams, but you can get a bit more zoom with certain models). And don't listen to sales clerk, a digital zoom is useless.

The Minolta DiMAGE S414 is an interesting model. It offers a lot of value with its 4 megapixel and 4x zoom. It is a bit like the Canon A70 with an easy interface but with manual options underneath in case you want to be a more serious photographer. You can find it a bit over $300.

695454_125.jpg

Find the Kodak EasyShare DX6340. It's a 3-megapixel camera with a 4X optical zoom (the industry standard is 3x optical zoom). The Easyshare cameras are among the easiest to use on the market, but this model probably all you want and it is among the highest rated in the Kodal models. You should find it for a little bit over $300.

703102_125.jpg

Alternatively, Kodak has this low-priced 5-megapixel model. It's pretty like the other Kodak model except you trade the extra optical zoom for more megapixels. You can find it under $350.

1001616_125.jpg

Then there's the FujiFilm FinePix 3800 Zoom. This is a 3-megapixel camera with a 6X optical zoom. I think it sells close $400 but if you shop around or find it used, it could be possible to afford it.

610943_125.jpg

The same goes for the Minolta DiMAGE Z1, a similar camera except you get 10X optical zoom. The price can be tricky for you (around $400 as well), but if you're lucky, you might find it much cheaper.

1185602_125.jpg

Anyway, that's what I can think of for now. Please let us know what you have chosen.

Matlock

Banned
Piggy-backing this thread:

What's a decent cheap digicam? I have a 3 year old 1 megapixel cam, and was wondering if there are any that are light/small/cheap out there...

Saturnman

Banned
Assuming you are American (since the original poster was Canadian), there are a couple of sub-$200 (American $) that are highly rated. The Canon A60, The FujiFilm FinePix A205 and A210, The Nikon Coolpix 2100 among others come to mind

Saturnman

Banned
I think you can get the Finepix A205 for about $100.

Pretty much all the cameras I mentionned following your first reply can be found under $150.

XS+

Banned
Saturnman said:
The Minolta DiMAGE S414 is an interesting model. It offers a lot of value with its 4 megapixel and 4x zoom. It is a bit like the Canon A70 with an easy interface but with manual options underneath in case you want to be a more serious photographer. You can find it a bit over $300.

695454_125.jpg
Quick (maybe dumb) question. Why would you recommend the DiMAGE S414 over the G400?
g400_front_blk.jpg

It's a 4MP camera that accepts Panasonic SD Memory Cards and Sony Memory Sticks, runs on a battery pack good for about 3hrs 20 minutes with the power on all the time (S414 uses 4 AA batteries, which is a good and bad thing for traveling), is ready to shoot the instant you hit the power switch (other digicams take a second or longer to initialize), and it's more compact than the S414. Most online electronics stores have the G400 priced at or below $300.

I'm just asking because I bought the G400 the other day and I'm wondering if I'm missing anything with the S414..

Saturnman

Banned
I'm not familiar with the G400, but a quick look around the Net, it seems a bit less well rated than the S414. It appears you trade some of the extra features of the S414 for the more compact size of the G400.

nitewulf

try to go for the canons. i'd recommend the a80. a70 and a75 are great as well, depending on what you are looking for. matlock, try the canon powershot a300 ($110 at amazon), the fujifilm is a crappy camera, i have actually used it...its bad.

Saturnman

Banned
Take whatever Nitewulf says with a grain of salt, he's a Canon whore. He has proven it time and time again with all those digicam threads. :p

He's also a Sega whore so it evens out. :)

nitewulf

Saturnman said:
Take whatever Nitewulf says with a grain of salt, he's a Canon whore. He has proven it time and time again with all those digicam threads. :p

He's also a Sega whore so it evens out. :)

what can i say, i have great taste!

rc213

Does the storage media make much difference? Im seriously thinking of buying a Fuji FinePix A330 3.2MP for my trips to the Dodger games. Been wanting a digi cam for a looooooong time and it's within my budget.

Saturnman

Banned
Data storage makes little difference except in terms of price and size. XD cards are pricey while Compact Flash cards are cheaper if a bit bulky. SD cards are medium-priced and small enough. I chose my current camera in large part in order to keep using my SD cards from my old camera.

Speed is only a real issue with some cameras that take VGA-quality movies and huge pictures, I believe. Otherwise, it's not worth the extra price tag, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom