• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I need help with setting a solid Home Theatre system for my PS5 in case it doesn't support optical cable like the X Series X ...

Nickolaidas

Okay, guys. I need help.

I need to get a solid home theatre system which needs to include the following things:

- An A/V Receiver capable of outputting 4K with HDR
- At least 2 HDMI ports (to have the Receiver connected with my PS5 and my PC)
- Speakers which can be hung on a wall with a single large screw

The closest thing I found was Sony BDV-N9200WW home Cinema 3D High-Resolution Audio, but it doesn't support HDR (all other things I want, it has them). I thought about buying this and then buying the Sony STR-DN1080 to replace the receiver the Home Theatre set already has, but I've read that the Sony STR-DN1080 has a 6-16 Ohm output while the speakers of the Sony BDV-N9200WW cannot handle it easily, being 6 Ohm just barely.
Here is the article which says it cannot work:

So, any ideas and suggestions?

Birdo

Banned
You don't need the console to have an optical out. Just an HDMI Optical Audio Extractor.

There are loads to pick from, usually around £15 on Amazon:

71u4IF00LhL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Nickolaidas

You don't need the console to have an optical out. Just an HDMI Optical Audio Extractor.

There are loads to pick from, usually around £15 on Amazon:

71u4IF00LhL._AC_SX466_.jpg
Don't really trust adaptors. They tend to corrupt the A/V signal, or sometimes flat-out don't work.

In the meantime, I'm checking out this Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar, and it sounds amazing. Also, wireless rear speakers, which is a huge plus.

hyperbertha

I thought Cerny said you'd get a better experience with a headphone? The tempest engine won't be supporting home theatre setups for atleast a while.

Nickolaidas

I thought Cerny said you'd get a better experience with a headphone? The tempest engine won't be supporting home theatre setups for atleast a while.
Yeah, but truth is I've been itching to get a device which will give me HDMI audio with two devices connected. Right now I have a Blu-Ray player which doubles as an A/V receiver and only has ONE Optical Audio Entry. The HDMI port is ONLY to be connected with the TV and act as a Blu-Ray player.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You are kind of all over the place.

Do you want a htib or a built system?

Why are you so focused on optical?

soulbait

I am not sure what your budget is, but here is the one I use: Sony Strdn-1080. It is a great receiver:
  • Dolby Atmos support
  • Phantom Rear makes it sound like a 7.1.2 from a 5.1.2 setup
  • Dolby Vision support
  • Built in chromecast support for audio
  • 6 HDMI ports.
  • Can support two sub woofers
It is a really good receiver and works great in my living room home theater. I have the atmos up-firing speakers, and where they are not as good as down firing, they still create a good effect and I highly recommend it. With everything going to 3D audio support, having an Atmos enabled receiver will be important to truly experience it in a home theater setup. Even if the PS5 does not do support Atmos, the outputted PCM audio channels should (this is theory for now of course) support the extra channels and make the same effect.

Last edited:

Keihart

Okay, guys. I need help.

I need to get a solid home theatre system which needs to include the following things:

- An A/V Receiver capable of outputting 4K with HDR
- At least 2 HDMI ports (to have the Receiver connected with my PS5 and my PC)
- Speakers which can be hung on a wall with a single large screw

The closest thing I found was Sony BDV-N9200WW home Cinema 3D High-Resolution Audio, but it doesn't support HDR (all other things I want, it has them). I thought about buying this and then buying the Sony STR-DN1080 to replace the receiver the Home Theatre set already has, but I've read that the Sony STR-DN1080 has a 6-16 Ohm output while the speakers of the Sony BDV-N9200WW cannot handle it easily, being 6 Ohm just barely.

How about an ONKYO receiver, they are quite good, i have one that even kept working after an accidental glass of water drop on it.
Also, you can just throw an optical cable from your TV to the receiver, most tv's have that output, to avoid buying a new receiver i mean, you would not be able to switch consoles from the receiver tho, but if you only have a PC and a Consonle, might not be a real issue.

TX-NR595 supports everything you need and it's under 500 usd.

Last edited:

soulbait

For those speakers to work with the STR-DN1080, you will need to remove the clips they have on the speaker wires and make sure you put them in the correct spots. Also, the subwoofer and the rear wireless surrounds would not work. I would suggest looking for different speakers.

What speakers do you currently have, if any? What is your budget on speakers?

Last edited:

soulbait

If you are going for inexpensive speakers, then a set like this would work. Not the best quality, but would be a start (also depending on your room size, it may be enough overall): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YLQUWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Any small,. satellite setup would work, so search for "home theater satellite speakers" and you will find the small speakers that fit your needs. If a speaker does not come with the wall mount you need, you can always buy mounts.

For my home theater, I went with a medium size setup, so these speakers are probably too big for your setup. For my rear surrounds, I bought speaker stands, because I did not want to mount the bookshelf speakers to my wall. These go on sale all the time, where you can get up to 50% off. They are a good starter set and/or good for living room setups. When I get my house, I will be upgrading to larger speakers for a media room, but for my needs they are great: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FWRZR94/?tag=neogaf0e-20 And for anyone else curious, sometimes you can get the overall package for less if you buy the speakers individually.

Patterson

Whatever system you decide on, make sure it supports eARC to future proof yourself. It’s the next gen audio return channel standard alongside hdmi 2.1 which 8k TVs will use and the next gen consoles.

manzo

How about an ONKYO receiver, they are quite good, i have one that even kept working after an accidental glass of water drop on it.
Also, you can just throw an optical cable from your TV to the receiver, most tv's have that output, to avoid buying a new receiver i mean, you would not be able to switch consoles from the receiver tho, but if you only have a PC and a Consonle, might not be a real issue.

TX-NR595 supports everything you need and it's under 500 usd.

I was rocking an TX-NR656 (if I remember the exact model anymore correctly) along with Monitor Audio BX-1’s. I sold the receiver and packed the speakers until the next-gen consoles come and Onkyo releases a new amp with VRR passthrough. My Samsung supports Freesync, so I don’t want a mess of cables. I’m using a Sony Atmos soundbar as an interim solution.

Onkyo for life. Denon and Marantz are also good amps, but Onkyo absolutely has the best price/quality ratio.

Top Bottom