• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Redux - An introspective dialogue

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I say a kudos or rep system would be good because forum heavyweights like myself, that has been a loyal Gaf user for going on 7 years, should be elevated somewhat above the riff raff.

What I'm saying is all posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others (to use a wise quote from Mahatma Gandhi).

So I would propose the following, should a rep system be integrated:

- Members of 1 year start with 100 rep to their name
- Members of 2 years are given 200
- Members of 3 years are given, believe it or not, 300 rep points.
- And so on

These points are base and then you can gain more by receiving rep from other members.

Now to give the rep system weight, perhaps the following should be integrated:

- Users of 6 years or more should be give a tag, something like 'Heavy hitter poster' automatically, or choose from a list of similar titles (like 'Better listen to this guy')
- 6 years time served members are given admin powers like the ability to randomly change thread titles or, have powers to *reduce rep of other members that are in their ignore list *you'd have to put the poster in your ignore list before nerfing their rep, this ensures such a mechanic not abused.
- Other perks that make them feel priveleged or get a sense of lording it over the peons
There's already an achievement point score and a reaction (likes, etc.) system.

Having six years in doesn't mean you are a good poster.

klosos

I lurked a little bit 14/15 around that time but i couldn't take the stupidity , i think i watched a youtube video from metokur when all the shit stains left and i had another look soon after that and was surprised about the openness , granted it was slow but that is expected. so i joined just over a year ago. I don't get to post as much as id like because i browse this forum whilst at work. The activity is getting better and better , also i think most people on here are a good bunch and good to each other most of the time. So Lads and Ladettes keep up the good discussions , we have grown massively in the last year imagine where we will be in another year or two.

Its got to the point for me that Neogaf is my go to place for anything gaming related. The laughs i get from you guys in some threads really makes a slow work day better so thanks for that all of you.

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Just signed up recently. Very happy with the atmosphere here. It's welcoming and there is good back and forth discussion and debate. Before I never wanted to sign up because from the outside looking in, this place seemed like it valued group think over intelligent discourse. Tow the line or you're out sort of thing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I say a kudos or rep system would be good because forum heavyweights like myself, that has been a loyal Gaf user for going on 7 years, should be elevated somewhat above the riff raff.

What I'm saying is all posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others (to use a wise quote from Mahatma Gandhi).

- And so on

These points are base and then you can gain more by receiving rep from other members.

- Users of 6 years or more should be give a tag, something like 'Heavy hitter poster' automatically, or choose from a list of similar titles (like 'Better listen to this guy')
- 6 years time served members are given admin powers like the ability to randomly change thread titles or, have powers to *reduce rep of other members that are in their ignore list *you'd have to put the poster in your ignore list before nerfing their rep, this ensures such a mechanic not abused.
- Other perks that make them feel priveleged or get a sense of lording it over the peons

No, I vehemently disagree with this. Being on the site for a long time doesn't make you a good poster as others have said. There is a good thing going now where it doesn't matter how long you have been here, you are treated the exact same as everyone else and that is how it should be.

Just look at a number of REEEturning members who have been here since 2010 - they are usually banned shortly after due to how miserable they tend to be as posters. Imagine if they came back with mild admin powers. It would easily make life a headache for the mods/admins and general community.

Last edited:

Xenon

First I just want to thank the owner and the staff for opening things back up for former members. I also like the direction the forum has taken in moderation. Having a ban page to help understand why someone was banned makes understanding it's moderation and violations of ToS much easier to wrap your brain around. All to often I see a post I though they were banned for only to discover it was something completely different. This is soooooo important , as many have expressed, in feeling safe to discuss your opinions. The only thing I would add is making the ban status a link under their alias, just for exposure and ease of use.

Sticking to the subjects of bans I think maybe a mission statement on the main bar would help people understand and show what you guys are trying to do here. Letting people know they are free to have a point of view and argue their points but personally attacks and unsubstantiated dehumanizing generalities are not accepted could help bring more people back. The ones we would want anyway =D Well it should be written by someone who is better with word things. Maybe even have a pinned thread on how the site is living up to it.

As far as console warz...

My only problem with New Gaf compared to old Gaf, is the amount of console warz and shit posting, especially by a select few who seem to get away with it. I have seen people warned, and even banned, for calling out the said shit posting, but the shit posters get way with it (everyone knows the few people i mean).
Thts one thing old Gaf did well, shit post and you will probably be banned.
I mean dont get me wrong, i'd hate new Gaf to be as bad as old Gaf where you could get banned for sneazing the wrong way, but the shit posting and console warz makes reading the forum frustrating for a PC gamer like me.
Apart from that though, new Gaf is miles better than old Gaf in every way.

Problem with this is GAF/NeoGAF was built around system warz. That was the main appeal of the site to many back then since most sites were console specific. It offered a single place were enthusiastic fans could could discuss and argue games and yes even.... advocate for their favorite console maker/publisher. I never really got this notion that being a fan of something was such a bad thing to be looked down upon. I'm more of a Sega refugee turned Xbox fan but usually get all systems. So it's definitely has had its ups and downs. But it's that emotional connection to the company that makes the hobby interesting to me. Seeing the moves they make to gain popularity is akin to player trades in sports, in a fashion. Also being a fan doesn't make one an annoying asshole. Most are able to have fun debates without shit posting.

I was thinking maybe a warz subforum for those types of debates but that would split up gaming which would be a bad idea. What I would suggest is thread type settings with their own icon in place of the generic NeoGAF one that is there now. The cats could be: News, Poll, Rumor, OT, IT/Support, Warz, Humor, and none(generic) . Peeps could then filter out what the want to see ATM. The default would be all of course. Mods could be more heavy handed in OTs to clean up the shit posting. If you you dont own the game or have a serious interest no one cares if you dont like a game or company. Just a thought

Thanks again for all your work and making this site what it once was.

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I've been here 10+ years, not including lurking before that. Pre-flush I barely posted because I was afraid of stepping on people's toes or getting dog piled on. Now I'm feeling more freedom and feel like my voice counts, so I post more and engage in the community. It's been great so far!

ViolentP

- And so on

With all respect, no. I've been here over a decade and that doesn't at all mean that I contribute any more or less than anyone. There are many here that have been a part of GAF far less time than I who have served to create a better community more than me. People should be gauged by their contributions, not merely their presence.

Not changing the name.

The correct move. This place is bigger than the event that transpired a few years back. To change the name is to concede to the idea that the members who departed defined this community and they did and still do not.

Last edited:
With all respect, no. I've been here over a decade and that doesn't at all mean that I contribute any more or less than anyone. There are many here that have been a part of GAF far less time than I who have served to create a better community more than me. People should be gauged by their contributions, not merely their presence.

The correct move. This place is bigger than the event that transpired a few years back. To change the name is to concede to the idea that the members who departed defined this community and they did and still do not.

Lol guys it was a joke.

I thought the Animal Farm quote would give it away ☺

Last edited:

Meh3D

Sticking to the subjects of bans I think maybe a mission statement on the main bar would help people understand and show what you guys are trying to do here. Letting people know they are free to have a point of view and argue their points but personally attacks and unsubstantiated generalities are not accepted could help bring more people back. The ones we would want anyway =D Well it should be written by someone who is better with word things. Maybe even have a pinned thread on how the site is living up to it.

"Unsubstantiated generalities" would get the majority in the political sub-forum banned. Possibly shut down most of the gaming sub-forum. (Even the next-gen speculation talks. Generally not a good thing.)

Overall the site is improved technically and hands off approach is a double edged sword. It's a challenge and requires skills to manage. I appreciate the work that goes into this place. There is no denying, this community is not for everybody and can be hostile to others. I have accepted this.

I've seldom participate here and there. Initially was mostly interested to communicate/interact with people who make games and love to talk about games. ( I'm a fan of P Panajev2001a and his technical discussions. ) I've mostly moved on to another gaming community offline (in person.) I still pop-in and look in on discussions from time to time on select topics; when looking for more points of view.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I don't have any suggestions although I would like to mention that the 'politics threads dressed up as gaming threads' can be a bit annoying. I don't think it requires moderation as most posters here are sound but it can sometimes get a bit much for me. This thread from the other day felt like OP had an axe to grind about the lack of appreciation for big anime tiddies.

Edit: I like the new design, especially the dark theme. I also think your staff do an excellent job in general. Moderation is always fair and rarely heavy-handed. RIP Antoon, you mad lad.

Last edited:

Xenon

"Unsubstantiated generalities" would get the majority in the political sub-forum banned. Possibly shut down most of the gaming sub-forum. (Even the next-gen speculation talks. Generally not a good thing.)

I added dehumanizing. Sure you can use general labels like SJW but thats more of a description of a certain type of left leaning individuals. Which is much different than calling someone a Nazi which has a much darker historical context. Several years ago it was a lighthearted jab at stickness, those days are gone though. But only one of these terms goes beyond a basic political position.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Overall the site is improved technically and hands off approach is a double edged sword. It's a challenge and requires skills to manage. I appreciate the work that goes into this place. There is no denying, this community is not for everybody and can be hostile to others. I have accepted this.

I've seldom participate here and there. Initially was mostly interested to communicate/interact with people who make games and love to talk about games. ( I'm a fan of P Panajev2001a and his technical discussions. ) I've mostly moved on to another gaming community offline (in person.) I still pop-in and look in on discussions from time to time on select topics; when looking for more points of view.
Investing in your local scene > online forums, in my opinion. If that's where you get your gaming community, more power to ya.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I've been casually following the site's growth since the beginning of the year and it's encouraging. There's a palpable feeling that site is more stable and getting more feature rich as well. The new reaction emojis are awesome, the Gif contest has some hilarious content being produced, we have a quality core of committed users and mods.

I feel growth is key to enhancing our community, and content is king. Namely user generated content; from gifs to OTs to quality technical analysis. Honing and evolving the visual language of the site will be important. I hope to be a part of that. Relevant:

Megamind: You dare challenge Megamind?
Titan: This town isn’t big enough for two supervillains!
Megamind: Oh, you’re a villain all right, just not a super one.
Titan: Oh yeah? What’s the difference?
Megamind: Presentation!

Top Bottom