• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, tell me about the UK/Scotland and any tips on living there?

JordanN

Banned
Just throwing up a suggestion since the British isles have always piqued my interest since I was pre-teenager, and in particular, I really liked the Shetland Islands (although any part of the UK will do. Hell, maybe even Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands if they have job opportunities too).

What's life like on those islands and what advice would you tell someone who wanted to adjust and join your society, especially coming from the now very lame country of Canada?

I also have one parent who still holds British citizenship and reading up on it, as a direct child, I'm automatically considered eligible to join you guys? Might as well take advantage of such a situation while it's still possible.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I was stationed in Faslane on a NATO billet a few years ago. Uh, the only thing that took getting used to moving from the US was driving on the other side of the road, lol.

I have dual citizenship for the UK as well, my mom is from N.Ireland. It's pretty funny when I joined the Navy I had to "renounce my citizenship", but like that meant nothing and I was able to get a UK passport and identification and everything with no problem, and tbh, when I travel international, I use that instead of my US passport, lol.

JimiNutz

Banned
I can't comment on life on the islands but mainland England is ok at best.

Weather is mostly shit, housing in the south of the country is massively overpriced, we pay quite a lot in taxes, food quality isn't great, healthcare is free (and reflected in its quality).

The people are ok though and we like a drink so if you enjoy getting pissed you'll fit right in.

JordanN

Banned
Don't come for the weather. What are your reasons for leaving Canada?
It's America Jr. but with half the salary, surrounded by NPC's everywhere, the country itself doesn't do anything ambitious (no space program, underfunded military with no nukes, architecture is just a clone of every other concrete jungle).

Canada was cool in the 90s but everyday I question why I'm even here anymore.

At least the UK has like castles and shit. With a background in architecture, I would love to help you guys build more. Or just houses...

It's America Jr. but with half the salary, surrounded by NPC's everywhere, the country itself doesn't do anything ambitious (no space program, underfunded military with no nukes, architecture is just a clone of every other concrete jungle).

At least the UK has like castles and shit. With a background in architecture, I would love to help you guys build more. Or just houses...
If you build me a castle, I'll grant you permission to live here. Just tell border control, I said it's alright, they'll know what's up.

Speaking as an Englishman, avoid living in the cities, they're shit holes these days and expensive as hell. If you're used to how massive the Americas are though, a commute from the surrounding towns will seem like a doddle.

Most work is in the South East, but the nicest areas are everywhere else, where the cost of living is generally much lower too.

Food is good, beer is great, the weather is 51% overcast, a couple of weeks a year are either unbearably hot or cold, it actually doesn't rain that often, and is broadly 'fine'. The stereotype of it raining constantly is Hollywood bollocks.

We're generally welcoming of outsiders, just do your best to join in with what everyone else is doing without being loud or pushy, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Live in the Countryside so you settle in a mostly great community with people who have lived and can tell you their crazy stories.

I live in the Suburbs and it isn't too bad where I live as I can get the train to Manchester or go into the Countryside within 10 to 30 minutes.

Pubs are good but the Food isn't always great. Can be expensive too.

We have Nandos over KFC for Chicken and Costas over Starbucks.

If you want cheap clothes we have Primark but I perfer Uniqlo.

You don't need to do Tax Returns over here unless you are business registered as your Payroll has all the Taxes done for you by your employer.

The NHS isn't "Free" as you pay something called National Insurance. It is 11% of your wage if you earn over £192a week but goes to 2%if over £930+ a week.

Your Income Tax is based on how much you earn but your first £12,500 earnings are Tax free due to having a limit before being taxed, after that every £1 is taxed 20p so you don't pay all that mucb until you get into the £40K bracket.

Pensions are now Work Placed and the Government add Tax Relief if you choose it with your Employer. (They pay tok but half of what yoy put inusually, which is 2% but will rise soon).

Minimum Wage is not too bad but worse than Europe but better than most Asian Countries (around £8.50?). Food is not taxed but Services of Food are.

People shop to bargain hunt over experience and will rather buy online these days hence the shops being empty.

Milk is much cheaper than in Canada, criminally so that Farmers are protesting against this.

We do abide by EU Safety Standards but that may end soon, same with VAT Regulations (Tax between EU and UK are Netted off).

They say people in the North are more friendly in the South but from personal experience, they can be just as arrogant if not ignorant.

Education sadly isn't as good anymore as the Government seem to be not giving Schools a decent budget.

We only get Patriotic when our National Football Team is on, we don't even Celebrate St.George's day.

Christmas Traditions are just like the Canadian one as you guys took a lot of our Traditions whereas the US doesn't.

Easter is taken quite seriously if you look at how many Chocolate eggs are around in January.

Never stand on a UK Plug unless you love pain! :LOL:

London tends to not follow UK trends which is why when you hear stories in London it reflects badly on the rest of us. Like Florida in the US.

Wales is a lovely place to visit and are feiendly to foreigners but not as much to English people (stereotype by now but depends on why you visit Wales).

Speaking of which, we love to eat Lamb as well as Beef, Chicken and Pork. We tend to have it with a Sunday Roast.

Last edited:
Speaking as an Englishman, avoid living in the cities, they're shit holes these days and expensive as hell. If you're used to how massive the Americas are though, a commute from the surrounding towns will seem like a doddle.

Most work is in the South East, but the nicest areas are everywhere else, where the cost of living is generally much lower too.

Food is good, beer is great, the weather is 51% overcast, a couple of weeks a year are either unbearably hot or cold, it actually doesn't rain that often, and is broadly 'fine'. The stereotype of it raining constantly is Hollywood bollocks.

We're generally welcoming of outsiders, just do your best to join in with what everyone else is doing without being loud or pushy, and you'll be fine.

Are you from darn sarfff?

The rest of this post is on point, OP.

Live in the countryside, there's loads of it and commuting from country to city is the same as commuting from outer city to inner city.

Scotland and Wales are beautiful places for the countryside, just set your expectations to 0 when it comes to women. You come from the land of Avril Lavigne. Scotlands export singer was Susan Boyle.... That comparison works for all Scottish women

Last edited:

Rikkori

It's funny when people complain about the weather but it was my favourite thing about it when I lived there. Granted, was more in the south but still.

JordanN

Banned
Reading through the rest of the posts right now.

I'm definitely staying away from the cities. I already spent 26 years in one and my mind seriously feels wrecked. I definitely want to live somewhere that has a strong sense of community and heritage. I would even do my part to help keep tradition going.

I also really like the idea of shorter commute distances. Yeah, it's very easy to forget just how large living in the Americas really is. It's both a pro and a con but honestly, I'm ready to try something smaller.

For comparison, the entire British isles could fit within my province, with still more room to spare.

kSSIygI.jpg

I also don't mind rainy/overcast weather.

I'm going to seriously consider it. I'm all in it for the sense of culture and feeling of belonging. Where I currently live, I just feel like I'm another number. Everyone is doing the same stuff, which is just working to death or binging on shopping. That's not a future I'm looking forward to, I want to have a greater purpose while I'm still alive.

Last edited:
Cities in the uk have, good and bad areas like everywhere

Lots of redevelopment underway though and you will have lots of options for the suburbs. Depending on your needs or wants there are choices in all ranges, with property getting cheaper the further out of London you get (city centres aside).

I find that the motorway network is much easier for getting about, it you don’t pick one that is almost always a car park (m6 around Birmingham, or the m25 !!! 😳🙈). So that may guide your choices. But generally the rail network can be fairly decent (just dodge rush hour in some places)

Lots of history in most cities, some towns and lots of the countryside. Scenery is everywhere. Especially the more out of cities or further north you go (lots of areas of lacking invest or regeneration as well though). You get what your looking for though. If you out in a little research and check out the options

Just don’t come for the weather (but it’s not as cold and snowy as it used to be in winter. But it can be pretty wet in a constant drizzle type of way, the rest of the time 🙈🤣)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm Scottish. Weather is shite as you might realise by now.

I don't want to get too political but Scotland has significantly different views compared to the rest of the UK. I think we're probably the most sane country and our government I think has handled stuff much better than others.

All I'll say is if you want to come to Scotland then come over. You're very much welcome here :) Like any other place you'll get idiots but as a country we're quite friendly and welcoming. Every cunts welcome here unless you're a cunt.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I'm Scottish. Weather is shite as you might realise by now.

I don't want to get too political but Scotland has significantly different views compared to the rest of the UK. I think we're probably the most sane country and our government I think has handled stuff much better than others.

All I'll say is if you want to come to Scotland then come over. You're very much welcome here :) Like any other place you'll get idiots but as a country we're quite friendly and welcoming. Every cunts welcome here unless you're a cunt.
Scotland reminds me of Quebec.

Well, not the "french" part but the feeling of a country within a country. I always take that as the strongest indicator they value being unique.

Though as an outsider, I don't really have any beef with British territories. Here in Canada, we were taught a lot about our role in the Empire. A lot of cities and our streets are still named after actual British people.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Are you from darn sarfff?

The rest of this post is on point, OP.

Live in the countryside, there's loads of it and commuting from country to city is the same as commuting from outer city to inner city.

Scotland and Wales are beautiful places for the countryside, just set your expectations to 0 when it comes to women. You come from the land of Avril Lavigne. Scotlands export singer was Susan Boyle.... That comparison works for all Scottish women
to be fair it's hard to find a good looking woman but it's not all bad. personally i find the ones from up north (inverness/aberdeen etc) to be much hotter than you'd find down in glasgow/edinburgh. also the redheads seems to be the best looking. just gonna leave these photos here....

Karen Gillan (from Inverness)

karen-gillan-personal-pics-01-09-2019-3.jpg

Rose Leslie (Aberdeen)

rose-byrne-3.jpg

Dr.D00p

OP should ignore this shite, it's just the typical self declared moral superiority crap that Scottish separatists like to indulge in to fuel their sense of 'other' to the rest of the UK.

Every social attitudes survey ever conducted has shown the average Scottish person holds views barely any different to the rest of the UK.

As for the reference to the handling of Covid, Sturgeon has done nothing different other than put a Scottish accent behind it and conveniently ignore that its the financial resources of the UK that has let her indulge in it and pay for it.

YCoCg

Gold Member
If you come here to retire you can get a pretty big house in the countryside and be away from people but apart from that what's the point, it's more expensive here, it's heading on a downwards slope, etc. Unless you're rich enough to ride it out coming here now is a bad idea.

JordanN

Banned
If you come here to retire you can get a pretty big house in the countryside and be away from people but apart from that what's the point, it's more expensive here, it's heading on a downwards slope, etc. Unless you're rich enough to ride it out coming here now is a bad idea.
Money is not the reason I want to switch citizenship.
If I really wanted to, I would show up on your shores tomorrow, with nothing but maybe a computer in hand.

I honestly find living in Canada to just be boring. It's often joked about we are hockey players and lumberjacks, but I wish that was true. There's no real Canadian identity or history. People don't ask to do "Canadian" stuff.

Complete opposite with Britain. British history is fucking amazing. It's an island that has been around since Neanderthal days, and the Roman days, as well as Viking invasions, the Renaissance, both World Wars and of course modern day. It's like, it's impossible to not understand why Britain is so important in the world and that there's a lot of stuff to be proud of.

I was recently reading a list of Scottish inventions. This is the stuff I care about and want to see more of. I would love to raise children and tell them their role models are scientists or artists.

Meanwhile, if I raised a family under modern Canadian culture, their aspirations and goals in life is just to sit behind a computer and make money for his slavemaster? Again, there's a depressing side to Canada a lot of people never heard of.

So yeah, money to me means nothing. Had my parents actually stayed in Britain and never moved to Canada, I would have done everything in my power to contribute to British history. It's still not too late for me to do this of course.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
So yeah, money to me means nothing. Had my parents actually stayed in Britain and never moved to Canada, I would have done everything in my power to contribute to British history.
Then by all means, wait a few years, at least until the fallout of Brexit is decided on because we still haven't bloody started that properly yet but the country is already unstable. Scotland is amazing though, it takes a bit to get used to the language but outside of the main cities you'll find a lot of em are pretty damn friendly and it's a great place to drive with lots of long stretching and curving roads up in central north regions.

Like mentioned and as you've said yourself, OP, stay away from the cities and you'll be fine. The countryside and it's villages are lovely.

Get used to narrow roads and parking spaces as well as much smaller buildings to live and shop in. There's also far smaller choices of products to choose from when shopping over here as well, not that it's always a bad thing, sometimes it makes things easier.

Take out a mortgage or loan before you plan on re-fuelling your car. It's currently 25-30p per litre less than it was a couple of years ago, but that's still more than £1.10 per litre of fuel.

Don't even think about jumping a queue or people will want you deported.

People's accents can drastically change, even if you just took a 20 minute drive to somewhere else. It might take a little getting used to, some accents are harder to understand than others.

Over all you probably won't feel things are really all that different, just expect everything to be smaller and more cramped.

Edit: Don't know how I left this out. Some of the cities can be useful - they have been filling up with gorgeous Eastern European women.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Like mentioned and as you've said yourself, OP, stay away from the cities and you'll be fine. The countryside and it's villages are lovely.

Get used to narrow roads and parking spaces as well as much smaller buildings to live and shop in. There's also far smaller choices of products to choose from when shopping over here as well, not that it's always a bad thing, sometimes it makes things easier.

Take out a mortgage or loan before you plan on re-fuelling your car. It's currently 25-30p per litre less than it was a couple of years ago, but that's still more than £1.10 per litre of fuel.

Don't even think about jumping a queue or people will want you deported.

People's accents can drastically change, even if you just took a 20 minute drive to somewhere else. It might take a little getting used to, some accents are harder to understand than others.

Over all you probably won't feel things are really all that different, just expect everything to be smaller and more cramped.
There's a little store outside my house. Before Covid19, I use to shop there all the time, but the owners have a wall dedicated to British imports.

Candy, tea, chocolate, jams. It probably cost them a lot of money to bring this stuff here, but I always appreciated seeing this unique collection of British goods.

In regards to accent, I'm completely immersed it. I have close family who still speak it 24/7 and I understand it.

OP hasn't lived until they have tried Jaffa Cakes (that are classed as Cakes to avoid Tax).

Chocolate is pretty cheap here compared to elsewhere I noticed too. Maybe that is why we have a lot of obese people perhaps?

nush

Gold Member
JordanN JordanN give up that quaint British Isles living dream right now. Every person I know, EVERY that got a job in another country outside of the UK (myself included) got their green card or whatever and stayed where they were and had a better life.

The UK has, bad weather, expennsive, full of miserable cunts that just complain about everything, you have to pay a yearly tax just to own a TV, public services are shite, the women are fat mingers with no ambition, property prices are through the roof so you'll be commuting a long way just to afford to live where you are, alcohol is expensive, cigarettes are astronomically expensive, the worlds on fire and the homes don't have air conditioning, in the winter daylight is only from 8am to 4pm so its miserable and cold. It's shite being British.

SpiceRacz

Surprised to hear that. Resetera told me Canada was paradise.

Breakage

If I were choosing a country to move to, the UK wouldn't even be on my list.
I hope to leave it behind for good some day.

If you do plan to live here, you better get used to hearing the following terms and words often: LGBT, trans, gender neutral, hate, hate speech, racist, racism, institutional racism, and people of colour.

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
JordanN JordanN give up that quaint British Isles living dream right now. Every person I know, EVERY that got a job in another country outside of the UK (myself included) got their green card or whatever and stayed where they were and had a better life.

The UK has, bad weather, expennsive, full of miserable cunts that just complain about everything, you have to pay a yearly tax just to own a TV, public services are shite, the women are fat mingers with no ambition, property prices are through the roof so you'll be commuting a long way just to afford to live where you are, alcohol is expensive, cigarettes are astronomically expensive, the worlds on fire and the homes don't have air conditioning, in the winter daylight is only from 8am to 4pm so its miserable and cold. It's shite being British.

Cup of tea, love?

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you want to go there to escape NPCs, you're in for a surprise. Go there (a vacation would probably be more suitable before leaping in) for the other things you mentioned, not that.

You need to pick some place far away from western culture, with its own unique cultural heritage that locks this kind of stuff out, or mostly.

V4skunk

Banned
If you want to go there to escape NPCs, you're in for a surprise. Go there (a vacation would probably be more suitable before leaping in) for the other things you mentioned, not that.

You need to pick some place far away from western culture, with its own unique cultural heritage that locks this kind of stuff out, or mostly.
Come to the North and have fun with us big and friendly north men. Not many npc here in Yorkshire.

eot

Banned

Most people I know who moved to the UK moved away again, and don't want to return.

I would recommend one of the more well off northern European countries, like Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands or Belgium. Italy is great but salaries there are a bit shit. France is France so that depends on the person.

Last edited:

mekes

Have a look at North Wales, Lake District, Malvern and Devon. Some of my favourite places in the UK and the sense of community is definitely heightened in those areas. Do visit first tho, as many times as you can because sometimes the reality isn’t all it seems to be. Job opportunities are less and like most places, the bigger opportunities do come in the cities.

A real plus point to the UK is the small size. You can go anywhere in a day. That is what saves those who live in the cities who need that time for a change of pace.

JordanN

Banned
Heh, reading the posts that say UK is a miserable place and must be avoided is exactly why I want to go there. I'm about fixing national images and as explained earlier, the UK has been around since the beginning of time. It's odd to me why people want to escape the place that built modern history.

And for further proof of this, look at what happen to all the countries formerly ruled by Britain?

The likes of Hong Kong, USA, South Africa, Jamaica, India, Australia, Canada, Palestine, Egypt. Almost all of them today have gone backwards or are entering a state of chaos. Especially Hong Kong where all 3 million citizens want to come back to UK.

Even as kid, I knew once these places lost British influence, they quickly went to shit. Now if people are talking about the UK going down this same path, what do you think that motivates me to do?

I have even more reason to go there and want to defend the British isles from collapsing.

y1Js3en.jpg

Again, I've always cared more culture. You can't put a price on what British society has been able to accomplish and it actually makes me upset there are people who aren't fighting to preserve this. I would leave Canada right now to make sure the UK never falls apart.

Last edited:
Top Bottom