• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Throwback: Aloy looks a little off.......

What point did I change? Literally don’t know what you’re on about. And stop pretending like anyone with a shred of common sense that has had interactions with females outside of “hello” doesn’t know what the motives are here. No one with a girl waiting for him at home is sitting in the bathroom at work writing comments about how upset at western devs he is for not giving him enough waifus. We know this. You can pretend we don’t know this. But we know this. Sony released stated the ps5 has an over 40% female instal base, which is crazy compared to female presence in consoles just some years ago. If the appearance of a character like aloy makes female gamers feel more welcome in gaming than that’s a great thing. Since they are fictional characters you will never fuck, and there’s plenty of plastic surgery having, make up drenched, quad d, 10 inch waistline female characters coming from Japan still, I think you’ll survive.

if I wanna jack it there’s infinite content on the internet for me. I’ll make do without a super model aloy.
Interactions with "females"? LOL. You aren't fooling anyone, buddy.

She's still fat.

I used to love playing games like Bayonetta and then sitting on my hand to give myself The Stranger during a cut scene.

Nowadays with photomode you'd think it would be even better. Pose the perfect shot. Lie in your own arm for 10 to 15 minutes. Then have a right good time.

Can't do that anymore with these ugly protagonists. I just want to put on my PlayStation and imagine unleashing the Pink Darth Vader and letting him taste the sweet suds of clunge but I can't do that when I'm confronted by these potato headed freaks.

Sad times.

Renozokii

Interactions with "females"? LOL. You aren't fooling anyone, buddy.

She's still fat.

I used to love playing games like Bayonetta and then sitting on my hand to give myself The Stranger during a cut scene.

Nowadays with photomode you'd think it would be even better. Pose the perfect shot. Lie in your own arm for 10 to 15 minutes. Then have a right good time.

Can't do that anymore with these ugly protagonists. I just want to put on my PlayStation and imagine unleashing the Pink Darth Vader and letting him taste the sweet suds of clunge but I can't do that when I'm confronted by these potato headed freaks.

Sad times.
I can’t tell if this is satire though I’m pretty sure it is.. hopefully anyway lol

It’s called you don’t have a point so you change the subject and then resort to personal attacks. You pigeonhole everyone into one stereotype. Everyone has different reasons why they like or dislike an aspect of the game. And they should be able to discuss it without their motives being attacked.

edit: and since when it criticizing a company a “personal attack”?

Leave them be. Beating up those strawmen allows them to feel good about themselves as they white knight for the fictional m'lady.

I can’t tell if this is satire though I’m pretty sure it is.. hopefully anyway lol
If you can't tell then that's the problem right there.

Do you think anyone is genuinely angry that Aloy looks like she's put on a few pounds?

Do you think that anyone here is making the argument "I want to jerk it to videogames because there are no women in my life so I only want to see sexy characters in every single game or I'm gonna get mad"?

Come on. You are building up strawmen and then making a big song and dance about beating them down. That's a you problem.

Maybe try to engage with what people are ACTUALLY saying.

Last edited:

Renozokii

If you can't tell then that's the problem right there.

Do you think anyone is genuinely angry that Aloy looks like she's put in a few pounds?

Do you think that anyone here is making the argument "I want to jerk it to videogames because there are no women in my life so I only want to see sexy characters in every single game or I'm gonna get mad"?

Come on. You are building up strawmen and then making a bit song and dance about beating them down. That's a you problem.

Maybe try to engage with what people are ACTUALLY saying.
There’s no other even semi legitimate argument lmao. Please present it to me. Either GG did it on purpose to make her less conventiolly attractive, which they are well within their means to do, same as Japanese developers can make a character with bigger tits than their head a god like hand to hand fighter. Or it was a result of GG trying to add more expression to her face which has always been a weak spot of theirs. Neither one seems worthy of endless whining.

And no this isn’t about jerking at all, that’s why people are posting Brie Larson’s toes, final fantasy characters ripped straight from fantasies of young boys about the perfect women, and photoshopping aloy to look like a near supermodel.

lmimmfn

Shes a minger, all hail slobs for Video game protagonists!!!!

Reminds me of:
f0a304be6190664affe136cef1be48e0.jpg

There’s no other even semi legitimate argument lmao. Please present it to me. Either GG did it on purpose to make her less conventiolly attractive, which they are well within their means to do, same as Japanese developers can make a character with bigger tits than their head a god like hand to hand fighter. Or it was a result of GG trying to add more expression to her face which has always been a weak spot of theirs. Neither one seems worthy of endless whining.

And no this isn’t about jerking at all, that’s why people are posting Brie Larson’s toes, final fantasy characters ripped straight from fantasies of young boys about the perfect women, and photoshopping aloy to look like a near supermodel.
So you admit you are just making assumptions rather than engaging with the actual arguments people are making? Got it.

Think we're done here in that case.

I think there is, at a minimum, a decent argument that Western devs fear the backlash they might get from having protagonists that look a certain way. So they adjust character models to avoid looking TOO feminine.

That argument could be total BS but many people are making it and all you've got in response is "you have no women in your life and just want to jerk off to pixels" or whatever.

You aren't engaging with what people are arguing. You are making up your own imaginary arguments and then shooting those down.

Corndog

Banned
What point did I change? Literally don’t know what you’re on about. And stop pretending like anyone with a shred of common sense that has had interactions with females outside of “hello” doesn’t know what the motives are here. No one with a girl waiting for him at home is sitting in the bathroom at work writing comments about how upset at western devs he is for not giving him enough waifus. We know this. You can pretend we don’t know this. But we know this. Sony released stated the ps5 has an over 40% female instal base, which is crazy compared to female presence in consoles just some years ago. If the appearance of a character like aloy makes female gamers feel more welcome in gaming than that’s a great thing. Since they are fictional characters you will never fuck, and there’s plenty of plastic surgery having, make up drenched, quad d, 10 inch waistline female characters coming from Japan still, I think you’ll survive.

if I wanna jack it there’s infinite content on the internet for me. I’ll make do without a super model aloy.
The post that said the developers made her more masculine on purpose. And keep stereotypeing people’s motives.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
"Empowered female" now translates to "butch female with strangely masculine features, a combat focus, no motherhood ever on the table, etc etc." Don't buy it--there's endless hours of gaming available out there, quite frankly it's easy to never drop a single quarter into the pockets of these devs of who actually believe in this nonsense.

Last edited:

Renozokii

So you admit you are just making assumptions rather than engaging with the actual arguments people are making? Got it.

Think we're done here in that case.

I think there is, at a minimum, a decent argument that Western devs fear the backlash they might get from having protagonists that look a certain way. So they adjust character models to avoid looking TOO feminine.

That argument could be total BS but many people are making it and all you've got in response is "you have no women in your life and just want to jerk off to pixels" or whatever.

You aren't engaging with what people are arguing. You are making up your own imaginary arguments and then shooting those down.
>So you admit you are just making assumptions rather than engaging with the actual arguments people are making? Got it.

Yes sure bud, whatever makes you feel better. I’m engaging with what is by far the most widespread and common posts in this thread.

>I think there is, at a minimum, a decent argument that Western devs fear the backlash they might get from having protagonists that look a certain way. So they adjust character models to avoid looking TOO feminine.

A)

There are still tons of feminine looking characters in western video games literally constantly.

B)

What you are seeing is a maturing industry no longer having to desperately use sex appeal to sell products. Look at movies, tv, and marketing that have largely shifted away from that.

C)

Enough with the boogie man arguments. No one complained about aloy being too attractive in the first game, so the logic that they made her uglier out of fear of people complaining is laughable.

>That argument could be total BS but many people are making it and all you've got in response is "you have no women in your life and just want to jerk off to pixels" or whatever.

Because I don’t think there’s an argument. I think it’s people making faux arguments to cover up they like jerkin it to video game characters, that and ridiculous expectations of what women should look like.

>You aren't engaging with what people are arguing. You are making up your own imaginary arguments and then shooting those down.

Because I know damn well no one sitting here making complaints about “Aloys puffy face” has a girl sitting behind them watching tv. Save the energy complaining about sjws, hit the gym, and i think you just might get over it.

Renozokii

The post that said the developers made her more masculine on purpose. And keep stereotypeing people’s motives.
I linked several examples of women, when in highly physical situations, tend to not have the soft, waifu material features you seem to think they do. They made her masculine, comments from the first game btw, because they wanted to have grounded characters if possible and no one but jrpg developed think dainty, perfect faced females will persist when surviving in an extremely hostile, beautify care free future.

Jon Neu

Banned
I linked several examples of women, when in highly physical situations, tend to not have the soft, waifu material features you seem to think they do. They made her masculine, comments from the first game btw, because they wanted to have grounded characters if possible and no one but jrpg developed think dainty, perfect faced females will persist when surviving in an extremely hostile, beautify care free future.

Actually yes, the females who would survive in an extremely hostile future will be the more perfectly faced, because they could earn the favours of the far more stronger males for protection and for them and their children to be provided.

Corndog

Banned
Yet somehow they exist today despite thousand of years without modern conviences.

Umbral

Maybe I'm the weird one here, but I don't need my characters to look like super models in order for me to enjoy the game.
That’s not the core of the complaint and you know it, but if you acknowledged that you might have to shift your argument, and we can’t have that. Please, call people incels. It’s the next play in the book.

Perhaps this person is mentally deficient, if that is the case my criticism still stands, but the inverse would be complaints about making all of the men more feminine, and they would in fact get complaints over that from everyone. For some reason modern society has deemed femininity as detrimental and the only women one should aspire to are those that are closer to men. Why is that? Masculinity is bad, but women who are more masculine are good.

Ok.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

That’s not the core of the complaint and you know it, but if you acknowledged that you might have to shift your argument, and we can’t have that. Please, call people incels. It’s the next play in the book.

Perhaps this person is mentally deficient, if that is the case my criticism still stands, but the inverse would be complaints about making all of the men more feminine, and they would in fact get complaints over that from everyone. For some reason modern society has deemed femininity as detrimental and the only women one should aspire to are those that are closer to men. Why is that? Masculinity is bad, but women who are more masculine are good.

Ok.

The inmates are running the asylum.

Renozokii

Actually yes, the females who would survive in an extremely hostile future will be the more perfectly faced, because they could earn the favours of the far more stronger males for protection and for them and their children to be provided.
Except for the fact that for nearly all human history beauty standards varied greatly and your argument ignores the fact that the AVERAGE women is less attractive than aloy in forbidden west unless your concept of beauty is heavily warped by make up and photo shop.

Here’s what cleopatra, known for her beauty actually looked like btw.

Than we can talk plot. It’s a fact in this universe that those on the horizon project purposely chose as diverse a group of humans possible so there is 0 reason to think beauty standards would even remotely resemble ours. Not to mention the human population would be tiny at this point and there might literally be no option for the men to be picky. Aloy is also a literal clone so future genetics would play 0 part in her looks. Finally the reality they are in is also one infested with literal killer robots at every turn so strength and hunting ability in women would be more desired than in ours, meaning arguably the women in that time line would end up being more masculine and strong than in ours. What good is a dainty women only capable of cooking when a robot Dino can walk into your village and slaughter all your children without a fight from your wife?

Renozokii

Ok.
In almost no situation these games take place in would femininity even make a lick of sense. I also lose your point of masculinity being bad while kratos was the walking stereo type of masculinity. As was deacon from days gone. As was Jin from ghosts. I’d love to hear which Sony female characters you think should have been more feminine and why.

Renozokii

Yet somehow they exist today despite thousand of years without modern conviences.
But they didn’t look like they do today, and if they did it was at a very young age which is why marriages gravitated to much younger girls.

Why are you fibbers pretending you know how attractive the average females were through our history?

Umbral

In almost no situation these games take place in would femininity even make a lick of sense. I also lose your point of masculinity being bad while kratos was the walking stereo type of masculinity. As was deacon from days gone. As was Jin from ghosts. I’d love to hear which Sony female characters you think should have been more feminine and why.
You are lying if you are saying with a straight face that masculinity is not demonized in modern western culture. There were complaints about Kratos masculinity from God of War 2018. There were complaints about Deacon’s masculinity as well.

This is the Abby argument all over again and I’m not participating in it.

Renozokii

You are lying if you are saying with a straight face that masculinity is not demonized in modern western culture. There were complaints about Kratos masculinity from God of War 2018. There were complaints about Deacon’s masculinity as well.

This is the Abby argument all over again and I’m not participating in it.
>You are lying if you are saying with a straight face that masculinity is not demonized in modern western culture.

I don’t delve into dark corners of Twitter so yes, I can say it with the upmost certainty. Fast and furious, which is basically men with muscles shooting shit, is one of the biggest movie franchises, nearly every male actor in marvel films is roided to hell and back, male ufc is a dominant sport in ratings, cod modernwarfare printed money with cpt price recently who is the definition of generic super masculine and badass soldier, and rap (the biggest or near biggest genre in the west) is still filled to the brim with lyrics about fucking bitches. I myself have never encountered any situation in real life where I was degraded or looked down upon for aesthetically fitting a pretty generic idea of masculinity, as I imagine the vast majority of whiners like you haven’t either. (Though that may be for a different reason 😂)

>There were complaints about Kratos masculinity from God of War 2018.

Kratos is more iconic a character now than ever, the game sold 20 million+ units, received universal praise from critics and users alike, and took home countless awards. What ever complaints there were obviously held 0 merit or weight. You can find complaints about anything and everything if you go looking for it.

>There were complaints about Deacon’s masculinity as well.

And yet with time that doesn’t factor into the story of days gone as a video game even marginally. It sold less than what Sony wanted because it launched buggy and with performance issues, had an extremely slow and frankly shit start before getting to the meat of the game, and was a pretty generic looking zombie shooter until you looked deeper into it. I say that as someone who absolutely loved the game. But if I was a critic on a schedule I’d probably give up on the game and move on since it barely starts until 10 hours in.

>This is the Abby argument all over again and I’m not participating in it.

A female dedicated to revenge can get muscular with enough protein and a good enough training regime. The face model was a random intern or employee they liked the look of. There’s no discussion.

Salz01

I’m glad I’m not the only one, who thinks she is and always has been a bit derpy looking. When I see the model they used and what we got in game its a total Picard face palm.

Zeroing

Banned
so after I read all this mess of a thread… all of you are actually hurt because Aloy - your dream girl and hero, went from the cloudy mountains to a tropical west, got a sunburn on and get a little bit bloated on her face… it happens in the game they don’t have sunscreen

Remember kids don’t forget to use sunscreen, don’t let Aloy story happen to you!

laynelane

Most characters in games have both masculine and feminine traits. For example, a character is courageous (masculine), expressive (feminine), assertive (masculine), and cooperative (feminine). That is, they're whole people. What bothers me is something else entirely. To me, when I hear that GG thought the face model for Aloy looked like she would cry if she broke a nail or ND reduced the breast sizes of their female characters - well, that has nothing to do with either masculinity or femininity. That's just a fucked up way to look at female characters. The fact that some have called this progressive is honestly mind-boggling.

Azurro

Banned
"Empowered female" now translates to "butch female with strangely masculine features, a combat focus, no motherhood ever on the table, etc etc." Don't buy it--there's endless hours of gaming available out there, quite frankly it's easy to never drop a single quarter into the pockets of these devs of who actually believe in this nonsense.

It's funny that the woke culture hates straight white men so much, when their perfect version of a woman is a straight white male. :)

Note, I'm still very excited about the game, it looks incredible and will buy it, but Alloy DOES look off, like she put on pounds during coronavirus like the rest of us. :D

Umbral

>You are lying if you are saying with a straight face that masculinity is not demonized in modern western culture.

I don’t delve into dark corners of Twitter so yes, I can say it with the upmost certainty. Fast and furious, which is basically men with muscles shooting shit, is one of the biggest movie franchises, nearly every male actor in marvel films is roided to hell and back, male ufc is a dominant sport in ratings, cod modernwarfare printed money with cpt price recently who is the definition of generic super masculine and badass soldier, and rap (the biggest or near biggest genre in the west) is still filled to the brim with lyrics about fucking bitches. I myself have never encountered any situation in real life where I was degraded or looked down upon for aesthetically fitting a pretty generic idea of masculinity, as I imagine the vast majority of whiners like you haven’t either. (Though that may be for a different reason 😂)

>There were complaints about Kratos masculinity from God of War 2018.

Kratos is more iconic a character now than ever, the game sold 20 million+ units, received universal praise from critics and users alike, and took home countless awards. What ever complaints there were obviously held 0 merit or weight. You can find complaints about anything and everything if you go looking for it.

>There were complaints about Deacon’s masculinity as well.

And yet with time that doesn’t factor into the story of days gone as a video game even marginally. It sold less than what Sony wanted because it launched buggy and with performance issues, had an extremely slow and frankly shit start before getting to the meat of the game, and was a pretty generic looking zombie shooter until you looked deeper into it. I say that as someone who absolutely loved the game. But if I was a critic on a schedule I’d probably give up on the game and move on since it barely starts until 10 hours in.

>This is the Abby argument all over again and I’m not participating in it.

A female dedicated to revenge can get muscular with enough protein and a good enough training regime. The face model was a random intern or employee they liked the look of. There’s no discussion.
Oh, there’s a discussion. It’s been had. I will not be going over it again.

You are wrong. You will not accept that you are wrong. That is ok with me.

Last edited:

laynelane

Last edited:
What is this from? Would love to know the context.

Someone secretly took this photo and posted it on Reddit 2 years ago, what's interesting about this photo is that it tells us how these big corporations want their customers to be a cult and to defend them like they are defending their religion, some evil shit.

I believe it's from this:

Let's Go Whaling

I don't think so, look at the stage size, in the photo it's a lot bigger.

Last edited:

laynelane

Someone secretly took this photo and posted it on Reddit 2 years ago, what's interesting about this photo is that it tells us how these big corporations want their customers to be a cult and to defend them like they are defending there religion, some evil shit.

I don't think so, look at the stage size, in the photo it's a lot bigger.

Yep, I realized my mistake and edited. The pic you posted is pretty eye-opening about how cynical this business can be.

The pic you posted is pretty eye-opening about how cynical this business can be.

Yup, that's why i don't have any loyalty to any company, if i see a gaming company do something wrong i criticize them and make fun of them which label me here as either a Nintendo fanboy or a Sony fanboy or an Xbox fanboy :messenger_tears_of_joy: members here really accused me of that, they can't wrap their head around a gamer who don't have a gaming company religion. really sad to be honest.

I looked into it more and it seems to come from a company called Qualtrics

Yeah maybe but these tactics are clearly used by all big companies, Apple, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft etc...
Just notice how people get really angry defending these companies.

GymWolf

>Looked like she would cry if she broke a nail

It's a game about killing robotic dinosaurs for fucks sake, not UFC 2K. This is more insulting to the actress that modeled for them. I wouldn't lend my beautiful face to Guerrilla ever again, after that comment.
Imagine people defending this shit...

Animagic

Banned
Jesus fuck, this thread is legitimately disgusting. The forced beauty standards are making me puke; it was the same ordeal as with Returnal. Just because the protagonist isn't your run-of-the-mill slut clad in spandex doesn't mean her standing as a character should suffer in any way shape or form. There are more pressing and important methods for a character to endear themselves to the player, the most prominent being the quality of writing. Are you guys weeping over the fact that Aloy doesn't meet your inequitable standards of beauty because your fear the lack of coom material on rule34? Grow the fuck up. She looks absolutely fine, and picking out the most uncharitable of frames to denigrate her doesn't serve your concerns at all. The funny thing is, I never saw any complaints about Ghost of Tsushima's Jin Sakai failing to fulfill the pretty boy aesthetic, but when it concerns a female, it suddenly becomes an issue.🤦‍♂️
“Anyone that doesn’t like tranny games is a coomer.”

Get over it no one cares about your friends political views.
She looks like she eats too much pizza. A bold artistic choice but whatever. Die on that hill.

They should make a game where you have to upload a picture of yourself at the start and the game creates a protagonist that it thinks would be attracted to you.

lBlMG61.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom