• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: What is your current monitor resolution (as of 2020)?

Your display resolution sir?

• 5K and up

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • 1440p

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • 1080p

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • 720p (freaking boomers)

• 480p or less

• Other

Votes: 7 7.2%

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
Next gen is almost here, what image quality are all your computers/consoles hooked up? Also includes TV's.

If you can't decide, pick the display with the most pixels.

Edit: And if you want to make the discussion more worthwhile, post your model.

For me, I'm using a 1080p Asus VH236H. I think I've had this since 2014. :messenger_confused:

P0FTeFk.jpg

Last edited:

Aidah

I use an OLED TV for my PC (and consoles). It can do 4K at 120hz and is g-sync compatible, but I need a new HDMI 2.1 graphics card to utilize the TV to the max.

The TVs are an LG C9 65", and a C9 55".

Last edited:

Rikoi

27" 1440p / 165 hz
This is also my first IPS panel and I can safely say i'm never going back to a TN panel.

Last edited:

jadefire66

1080p (144Hz), don't care for higher resolutions because that would mean losing framerate, which is the most important thing for me.

I have no plans of ever getting a 1440p monitor unless the prices will be much lower in the future AND it's a good 144Hz monitor too.

And 4K is probably one of the dumbest gimmicks, well unless you play on a giant TV, in which case the TV is 4K, not the monitor.

Last edited:
1080p@84Hz
Oddball refresh rate, I know, it's actually a 60Hz panel that I overclocked the snot out of. The timings on this one are tight. Any tighter on the X axis and you lose sound, any tighter on the Y and the picture starts shifting vertically. Specifically it's a ViewSonic VX3276-MHD-2. Picked it up late last year, I was done using TVs with their slow ass pixel response times and there weren't exactly many monitors that fit my requirements (IPS, 32"+) without breaking the bank.

dcx4610

1440p. Still the sweet spot in regards to visuals vs. performance. Also, with the size being smaller than a TV screen, 1440p is pretty much equivalent to 2160p.

I'm going to wait until you can get 144+ FPS at 4K easily with GPUs before I move to a 4K monitor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I voted 4K, because it's one of my main displays, but also have a 1440p 165hz display and a laptop that is 1080p/144hz.

supernova8

Banned
1080p @ 165 Hz 27" monitor or my shitty Hisense 4K (49in) TV that has the worst SoC it can hardly even process high bitrate 4K.
Probably need a get a new one....Worst purchase of 2019.

4K which is 2 x 27" Samsung 4K monitors. Double the work or split half work and half play (one screen for each activity). It's great. I used to have 4 monitors running on a quadro card but I'm more focused when on 2 screens only.

JordanN

Banned
4K which is 2 x 27" Samsung 4K monitors. Double the work or split half work and half play (one screen for each activity). It's great. I used to have 4 monitors running on a quadro card but I'm more focused when on 2 screens only.
Back before it was broken, I use to run a two monitor setup. Technically, my drawing tablet also doubled as another display.

I may have gamed on it once, but I did watch a lot of movies on it. :ROFLMAO:

yyFW6fP.jpg

Back before it was broken, I use to run a two monitor setup. Technically, my drawing tablet also doubled as another display.

I may have gamed on it once, but I did watch a lot of movies on it. :ROFLMAO:

Classic. A number of my clients these days run a Surface and dock to utilise 2 or 3 monitor setups. The last one I met with I was sort of jealous of, they had a vertical, a horizontal and the surface screen all working in tandem quite well. If I was still doing layout work I'd go a third monitor for the vertical aspect but I don't do enough of that work these days to justify it taking room on my desk.

DeaDPo0L84

27" 1440p seems to be the sweet spot for great picture quality/performance. To run most current games in 4k and stay around that sweet 120fps it can get expensive.

b0uncyfr0

1080p but it i play at 1440p or 1260p with DSR for demanding titles and mostly 4K for indie's.

75 Hz Freesync isnt hard to hit on a 1070.

Soodanim

Currently a 16/16/16 split. Makes sense.

I'm 1080/144, but on my next monitor I'll go 1440. 4k is a bit much for the majority.

But I'd rather go for a VRR TV if I'm honest, that area shows more progression and has more utility. Monitors aren't going anywhere fast and there's nearly always more noticeable drawbacks.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
1080p. I'd love 1440p but that would require me to move to a 27" monitor, and that's just too big with my little desk. I've tried it a few times and didn't like how much I needed to turn my neck to see the edges of the screen.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
ive got two 1440p, one in landscape (TN-27") and one in portrait (IPS-25")

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
1440 / 144. The perfect medium.

I had a 4k60 for a while but wanted to trade some of that resolution for frame rate. Also tried an ultrawide for a while and the initial wow factor wore very thing very quickly when many games either didn't take proper advantage of it, or required excessive tweaking.

Last edited:

Mithos

1080p because there is no way I can get a 50" monitor to replace my 50" TV...

edit:
Clarification, there is no way for me to get a 50", 4k, 120hz or higher with VRR/Free/G-Sync for a price that is within my budget.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
1080p. 4k is coming but I think for most people it's still further out than what most people think. I think I'll go for 1440p 144hz before I go for 4k.

nikos

PC has been ultrawide 3440x1440 for over a year. Was previously 4K.
TV has been 4K since 2016.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
4k. Monitor is lg 27uk650. 27", ips with nice 40-60 freesync.
Everything looks good on it really. Dark Souls II at 4k is my best showing. That game has little anti aliasing and and a lot of detail resulting in sharp image. Not sure it would look this good on 32" since ds3 is very hard to make look not aliased and PPI is worse on 32".
Anyway - If I could have this exact monitor but Oled...
I've had 1440p and it was not a very big upgrade. Even had 1080p 27" and games with good aa looked fine (like god of war or uncharted 4). Pixels were visible on desktop fonts. But with 4k, everything looks like vectors but games still need some aa

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
1440 / 144. The perfect medium.

I had a 4k60 for a while but wanted to trade some of that resolution for frame rate. Also tried an ultrawide for a while and the initial wow factor wore very thing very quickly when many games either didn't take proper advantage of it, or required excessive tweaking.
1440p is just an in-between resolution sadly. And 144hz is crap once I've had 240hz :p now they make 360hz monitors even.
That said (as above) - I prefer 4k and good ips picture quality over hz since I play single player games mostly... and Dark Souls games are 60fps limited so why would I ever need more than 60hz ;p

Last edited:

GymWolf

I barely use my pc monitor, i play everything from pc to console on my 4k oled tv.

Last edited:

klosos

I like my monitors like i like my women Ultra wide 21.9 , no skinny 4.3 ratio here, i need a thick bezel to get me going.

honestly after using an ultrawide its hard to go back to 16.9

Curved 32inch 1440p 144hz. Happy with it overall except for an annoying interference that seems to be caused by my Bluetooth ear buds I use with my phone. Only seems to happen when I turn the PC on and goes away after about 5 minutes. Still annoying nonetheless.

Top Bottom