• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaffer Claims To Have Created SuperPS3 (improved textures, draw-distance.. in games)

Here's the deal, yo.

One of the biggest differences between analogue and digital signals is that, in the case of analogue signals, the signal itself can be incomplete but still contain enough information to be correctly interpreted by the receiver. This is not the case for digital information, because it's made up of on/off (1/0) information which does not in itself describe to the receiver how to actually interpret it; as such, it needs to be converted from digital information into a digital representation of analogue information then sent to the receiver.

So the reality is that you can improve analogue signals with physical alterations because they can contain small amounts of interference without dying totally, but that isn't the case at all with digital signals. I'm not sure what Mr Hubbard thinks he has done here, but you can't make the 1s and 0s bigger in a digital signal or anything like that. They are what they are.

Risible

rhubbard16 said:
You can run CIE specific test patterns X,Y, at a native rate from USB, also to be correct before running said test patterns you will need to match resolution input/output before having a correct pattern to display and calibrate content on. Since there is a slow point here not all HDMI are created equal content constraints are a huge limited in testing the signal path for errors.

It's like it went from one of my old engineering textbooks through a Google translate to Chinese and then back again to English.

Truespeed

rhubbard16 said:
Both are completely improved. The display is modified, the signal path is modified, the source content is modified. All calibrated to 1998 CIE standards in HD CS.

Be careful with how much information you divulge. I have no doubts Sony and other nefarious corporations are reading with interest in your discovery. You may also want to patent your work later on so be sure to not post detailed information for others to copy.

FoxSpirit

rhubbard16 said:
RON? Both are completely improved. The display is modified, the signal path is modified, the source content is modified. All calibrated to 1998 CIE standards in HD CS.
The only way to prove your point is either posting really good pictures. Something where you can compare, not guess. Or getting comparative measurements of the HDMI eye output of the PS3 original and modified.

Talk is nothing.

Also, may I be frank? You are deluding yourself. I don't mean that in any hostile way but face it: you made audiophile adjustments to improve the output of the digital HDMI transmitter. Think about it. The ONLY thing that may have improved something is soldering the HDMI which may have suffered from a bad connection.
So far there have been 2 transmitters:
http://www.ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=HDMI#Padout_IC.3F_.28HDMI_transmitter.29
(mine has the older Silicon Image Sil9132CBU transmitter btw)

jim-jam bongs said:
Here's the deal, yo.

One of the biggest differences between analogue and digital signals is that, in the case of analogue signals, the signal itself can be incomplete but still contain enough information to be correctly interpreted by the receiver. This is not the case for digital information, because it's made up of on/off (1/0) information which does not in itself describe to the receiver how to actually interpret it; as such, it needs to be converted from digital information into a digital representation of analogue information then sent to the receiver.

So the reality is that you can improve analogue signals with physical alterations because they can contain small amounts of interference without dying totally, but that isn't the case at all with digital signals. I'm not sure what Mr Hubbard thinks he has done here, but you can't make the 1s and 0s bigger in a digital signal or anything like that. They are what they are.
Now you are talking "Mickey Mouse Bullshit" good GAF!

Krakatoa

rhubbard16 said:

Nope he's correct.

Digital signals are immune to minor RF interference leaking into the cable. Moderately poor shielding of an HDMI cable won't make a lick of difference, because the TV or whatever is receiving the signal is looking for a bunch of 1s and 0s, and when it gets a bunch of 1.0572s and 0.1316s it's going to ignore the fractional values, so to speak. If the cable is sufficiently crappy you can start to get problems, but you're going to have to have pretty substantial interference before that happens. With analog, on the other hand, any interference whatsoever gets summed into the signal, resulting in static or hum.

The biggest difference you'll see between low and low quality HDMI cables is how long they can be and still work.

Gui_PT

10580239.jpg

zychi

Banned
Guys, I figured out his secret. He has one of these for his playstation and got excited that the graphics looked better!

xbox-hdtv-tv-switch.jpg

All BS posts that hardly make much sense and still no real pics

but the thread still gives me laughs for the day...so I ain't even mad

FoxSpirit said:
The only way to prove your point is either posting really good pictures. Something where you can compare, not guess. Or getting comparative measurements of the HDMI eye output of the PS3 original and modified.

Talk is nothing.

Also, may I be frank? You are deluding yourself. I don't mean that in any hostile way but face it: you made audiophile adjustments to improve the output of the digital HDMI transmitter. Think about it. The ONLY thing that may have improved something is soldering the HDMI which may have suffered from a bad connection.
So far there have been 2 transmitters:
http://www.ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=HDMI#Padout_IC.3F_.28HDMI_transmitter.29
(mine has the older Silicon Image Sil9132CBU transmitter btw)
Audiophile adjustments hmm I think not? Leave google alone! let me enlighten you to the world of electronics today.

These useless un-yielding quality hardware you so thoughtfully refrence are assembled everyday for "Video"Blu-Ray players on a "GLOBAL" scale in every Pioneer Elite,Meridian,Sony ES, Krell,Rotel,Runco,Denon,Oppo with some of the best refrence imaging possible at 1920x1080 progressive. Oh but Im sure the 5 star ratings from passing all the absolute strictes of video test patterns are all made up from people like me. At CES all the awards recieved are all nonsense too right? Maybe on GAF, but in the real world we have some major companies making a diffrence in quality parts assembled at a proven scientific level. I started this to urge Sony to bring an elite line to SCEA they are currently engineering and producing these atttributes to their ES Blu-Ray Players at this very minute and on their website.

but YOU know more than any of these huge succesful worldwide companies RIGHT?!
(by the way there is nothing inside the Xbox worth saving or upgrading;0)

Blizzard

Banned
rhubbard16 said:
Why would you dismiss someone who has valid points with a response like this? If his points are invalid, why not simply explain how?

FoxSpirit said:
This is correct. Without high-quality comparison shots of the video output between an unmodded PS3 and a modded PS3, how can you show any difference?

In addition, I mean no offense, but is English your first language, rhubbard16? Your posts are phrased weirdly. This combines with the lack of proof, the joking/sarcastic tone, and the occasional smiley to make your posts look exactly like those of a conspiracy theorist.

Now, if you were in fact telling the truth, then such an extraordinary claim demands more proof than vague references. Post it if you have it, but please do not keep dismissing arguments if you do not have any hard evidence that peopl can examine.

Blizzard said:
Why would you dismiss someone who has valid points with a response like this? If his points are invalid, why not simply explain how?

This is correct. Without high-quality comparison shots of the video output between an unmodded PS3 and a modded PS3, how can you show any difference?

In addition, I mean no offense, but is English your first language? Your posts are phrased weirdly.
My English? You just used the word weirdly! WEIRDLY!

Gui_PT

rhubbard16 said:

I'm sorry Mods, but this is the biggest troll I've ever seen on GAF. And I was there for JBaird's thread. JBaird!

Blizzard

Banned
rhubbard16 said:
Not only is "weirdly" an English word, but it is even in the Scrabble dictionary.

Not ONLY that, but you just replied to me while ignoring every single other point and question I raised, not even answering the question about English.

rhubbard16 said:
Audiophile adjustments hmm I think not? Leave google alone! let me enlighten you to the world of electronics today.

These useless un-yielding quality hardware you so thoughtfully refrence are assembled everyday for "Video"Blu-Ray players on a "GLOBAL" scale in every Pioneer Elite,Meridian,Sony ES, Krell,Rotel,Runco,Denon,Oppo with some of the best refrence imaging possible at 1920x1080 progressive. Oh but Im sure the 5 star ratings from passing all the absolute strictes of video test patterns are all made up from people like me. At CES all the awards recieved are all nonsense too right? Maybe on GAF, but in the real world we have some major companies making a diffrence in quality parts assembled at a proven scientific level. I started this to urge Sony to bring an elite line to SCEA they are currently engineering and producing these atttributes to their ES Blu-Ray Players at this very minute and on their website.

Oh, yeah? Still waiting on a comparison.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Blizzard said:
Not only is "weirdly" an English word, but it is even in the Scrabble dictionary.

Not ONLY that, but you just replied to me while ignoring every single other point and question I raised, not even answering the question about English.

You're pushing it, buddy. Keep it up and he's gonna downgrade you to fake-Gaf.

rhubbard16 said:

how can you prove that Sony is doing this with their Blu-Ray player line? Link to an official article/documentation?

Lucis

In extreme conditions on a PC, a super badly maintained PC might have effect on graphics performance, there are conditions where heat and power will cause driver to throttle a few things. however you are likely to see a crash shortly after.

However on PS3, there's no such mechanism implemented, (crash still happen though ;)). There's no way draw distance and texture resolution can be affected here, not even in the case of PC.

(I work at nvidia and I worked on RSX)

AdamMPSP

This thread makes me so happy. I'm like, a belieber or whatever. So okay, I just cracked open my PS3 and I can see all of its like synapses or whatever... WHAT'S NEXT?!

P.S.: If this Super PS3 thing is legit, maybe there's an easier way to make the PS3 super? Like I heard from a friend that you could wrap your PS3 in a towel, leave it on for three hours, and then it got super? CONFIRM/DENY?

inner-G

Banned
Someone claiming to know that much about electronics can't seem to be able to grasp a fundamental description of a digital signal?

:lol

soultron said:
Need ban ultimatum and deadline.

I'm guessing a mod hasn't wandered in here to see him call someone gay. Once that happens, there will be no ultimatum. Only swift justice followed by a short time of peace.

soultron

Banned
So, let me get this straight, OP:

You think Sony is ripping consumers off since the components included in a BD player released in December of 2008 (at nearly $3K) are superior to that of a product that released in 2006, at $600?

Cruzader

Banned
Is this Jeff_Rigby's crazy ass brother? Why is this person who keeps posting false info not nullified from GAF? He keeps ignoring valid counter points to his bs and keeps making insane ramblings.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
I'm guessing a mod hasn't wandered in here to see him call someone gay. Once that happens, there will be no ultimatum. Only swift justice followed by a short time of peace.
What?! Fake GAF using any excuse to shut me up! All time low bro-

soultron said:
So, let me get this straight, OP:

You think Sony is ripping consumers off since the components included in a BD player released in December of 2008 (at nearly $3K) are superior to that of a product that released in 2006, at $600?
Inflated cost because of demand you the consumer are not demanding high quality so you pay for it since it's rare.

soultron

Banned
rhubbard16 said:
Inflated cost because of demand you the consumer are not demanding high quality so you pay for it since it's rare.
You need to add logicpunctuation to your statement because I have no fucking clue what you're trying to say.

rhubbard16 said:

Makes sense to me, people don't want something so the company increases the price to counteract the small demand.

Myansie

I'm sure this thread and the magic mushroom thread are in some way related. Not sure how though, I can't quite open the doors to perception.

Top Bottom