• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFs big house of Linux |OT| for gamers, ricers, newbs and greybeards - because it's free as in freedom!

TIL Shadow of the Colossus was developed in Linux (from EDGE Magazine #233, 2011)

image.png
Cool, I wonder why the functions wouldn't compile?

Jinzo Prime

I know this question has been asked before, but what distros do people suggest now for modern systems? I used Ubuntu briefly in the past, but I see stuff like Wayland and Gamescope and want to try out something more performant for games and such. I also kind of hate Gnome, ngl.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I know this question has been asked before, but what distros do people suggest now for modern systems? I used Ubuntu briefly in the past, but I see stuff like Wayland and Gamescope and want to try out something more performant for games and such. I also kind of hate Gnome, ngl.

Ubuntu has official and unofficial flavors with other desktop environments, like kubuntu (kde).

As for Wayland afaik it’s out as in it’s the default on Ubuntu as long as your card isn’t nvidia…

Why is Manjaro becoming more hated within the community? Right away I could recommend it to someone who is just dipping their toes into Linux. Throughout my history with it, albeit a short one, it just worked for me.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Why is Manjaro becoming more hated within the community? Right away I could recommend it to someone who is just dipping their toes into Linux. Throughout my history with it, albeit a short one, it just worked for me.
I have more people who suggest Zorin or LinuxFX than Manjaro

More supported I guess?

It's distros, everyone is going to argue about them constantly lol

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have more people who suggest Zorin or LinuxFX than Manjaro

More supported I guess?

It's distros, everyone is going to argue about them constantly lol

It's just good old distro-warring imho, mixed with a bunch of "manjaro is for people who can't install arch" thrown in...

In other news, System76 officially confirmed their new DE is doing away with GTK and is going to be using Iced, a toolkit written in rust. Iced (by their own admission) is not even finished so System76 not only will have to develop a new DE but also a new toolkit to go along with it. As a consecuence, pop os is not getting a 22.10 version and chances are it won't get a 23.04 neither.

linux noob here!

i think linux is now my main OS. i've literally been trying to get into linux for years but for one reason or another it never worked out. gone almost a full week with ubuntu (22.04.1 LTS) and i'm happy with it! will be keeping windows install for gaming so not 100% ditching it yet but will only boot into it to play games.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Anyone here try to run SteamOS / Deck version on their computers?

I am debating on running my main rig on it as the experience with my Deck has been phenomenal. I don't use my PC for anything besides gaming these days.
1. Valve has not yet released an offical image for Steam OS 3 for desktop PC use.

2. Steam OS uses an immutable file system. If you install software using pacman or build from souce it will be deleted when you update Steam OS. You must use Flatpak versions of apps.

3. The best way to use Steam OS as a desktop OS right now is HoloISO (https://github.com/theVakhovskeIsTaken/holoiso). I'm not sure you are still limited to Flatpaks only, but because of that filesystem, you probably are.

4. There are rumours that Valve is preparing to release the offical desktop version soon. You could wait for that if you don't want to use HoloISO.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyone here try to run SteamOS / Deck version on their computers?

I am debating on running my main rig on it as the experience with my Deck has been phenomenal. I don't use my PC for anything besides gaming these days.
1. Valve has not yet released an offical image for Steam OS 3 for desktop PC use.

2. Steam OS uses an immutable file system. If you install software using pacman or build from souce it will be deleted when you update Steam OS. You must use Flatpak versions of apps.

3. The best way to use Steam OS as a desktop OS right now is HoloISO (https://github.com/theVakhovskeIsTaken/holoiso). I'm not sure you are still limited to Flatpaks only, but because of that filesystem, you probably are.

4. There are rumours that Valve is preparing to release the offical desktop version soon. You could wait for that if you don't want to use HoloISO.

Maiden, maybe give Nobara a try? It's a gaming optimized distro that's making a lot of waves lately.

If you would do that, I would get either the gnome or the kde version depending on your preferences, the official version is the same but has a bunch of ui tweaks built in that might or might not be what you like.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Maiden, maybe give Nobara a try? It's a gaming optimized distro that's making a lot of waves lately.

If you would do that, I would get either the gnome or the kde version depending on your preferences, the official version is the same but has a bunch of ui tweaks built in that might or might not be what you like.
All right. I will wait for the official SteamOS 3 to release. I stopped using my PC entirely after getting my Deck so I want to just convert it to basically console version of Steam. I want the new Deck interface though. Standard BPM is too much of a downgrade.

Jinzo Prime

All right. I will wait for the official SteamOS 3 to release. I stopped using my PC entirely after getting my Deck so I want to just convert it to basically console version of Steam. I want the new Deck interface though. Standard BPM is too much of a downgrade.
Im personally going to give Linux another chance with either Steam OS official, or Nobara. Going to wait till next year, though.

Thaedolus

Honestly, the Deck has made me a believer in Linux/Steam OS. With my new build I'm really considering doing a dual boot with one big NVME dedicated to Steam OS (or some other Linux distro) and my old smaller one for Windows games that won't run under it.

New setup will likely leave my current desktop where it's at, with large physical drives and such for productivity, file serving, etc. Gaming PC I'm going to put in our storage room right behind where the OLED TV is, run HDMI 2.1 through the wall to the TV, and a USB through the wall to a hub under the TV to either have wired controller setup or have a dongle for clear bluetooth signal. VR tether will need to go through the wall too, but it'll still have more slack compared to where my current rig sits. Getting pretty stoked about it.

an update on my Linux experience so far.

the last time i posted i had been using Ubuntu (22.04.1) almost a week. last weekend i installed a bigger boot drive (500GB) for dualbooting. with the clean install of W11 i set it up primarily for gaming and i'm trying to keep the amount of programs i install to a minimum. Firefox is my main browser but on Windows i am sticking with Edge as i wont be doing much browsing. Got Spotify too for listening to music when gaming. on Ubuntu i have GIMP but i'm still getting used to it so on W11 i reinstalled Affinity Photo 2. for games I have Steam, Epic, Blizzard, Riot, and EA clients installed.

I set up Ubuntu and I'm using it every day as my main OS. I had a few issues but I solved 2 of them.

1. Not sure if it's related to having Ubuntu installed but when I downloaded FIFA 23 on Windows 11 it refused to load because Secure Boot was disabled. I'm sure I had this enabled as it's a requirement to install Windows 11. I haven't modified my BIOS so not sure why it was turned off. I went into BIOS and enabled it. Now when I start up my PC there is a display/gpu "handsake" issue. If I turn my PC on before my monitor then my monitor can't detect an output from my PC during boot up and that includes the GRUB screen so I need to wait for the GRUB screen's 10 second countdown and when it boots into Ubuntu's log in the display gets a signal. This wasn't happening with Secure Boot off. I know I can adjust the GRUB countdown to shorten it but I can't be assed. Anyway, if I turn the monitor on before my PC then everything works. It detects the output and I can see my BIOS logo and the GRUB screen.

2. Updating programs seems buggy. I was getting a notification that Firefox had an update so I tried doing that but got a message saying something like "Unable to update Firefox. Snap has no updates." After a bit of searching I think I managed to sort it out. Firefox is updating now. I know I can install Firefox through Flatpak or use Mozilla's PPA but it's too much hassle to set up Firefox all over again. It seems to be working now so I'm good.

3. I use PulseEffects for the equalizer when listening to music. I have it set to run at login but I noticed that my equalizer doesn't work after booting up. I went into the program and the equalizer is enabled. Even the settings file in the autostart folder have it enabled with the correct band values. Apparently this is a known issue for the version I'm using (4.8.4-1) but this version is the highest I can get through Ubuntu repositories for 22.04. The 22.10 repository has a higher version which fixes the issue. A "solution" was to download the Flatpak version which is 4.8.7. So I installed that but I have another bug with that! It straight up won't start a login. With the non flatpak 4.8.4-1 version when I boot up i can see it running in system monitor but with 4.8.7 it doesn't load at all. PulseEffects is not being updated anymore as it's been replaced by EasyEffects with the Ubuntu update to Pipewire (replacing Pulse Audio). I believe EE only works on 22.10. I can replace Pulse with Pipe on 22.04 but I don't feel confident doing it. I could update to 22.10 but I don't want to go onto what seems like an unstable version and the wait for 24.04 LTS is a long one! This is the only bug affecting me right now and I'm still trying to sort it out. It's not a major issue but it's a pain in the ass to have to manual toggle off/on the equalizer every time I boot up.

edit: i gave up trying to fix the audio bug. when i was writing this i had another "solution" to try which was reinstalling flatpak version and editing some file...but the file wasnt there! so completely removed pulse effects and just not using an equaliser. in a way it sounds better now lol but i need to turn my volume up a lot more.

so i guess now that's me...no issues to deal with. can't see myself going back to windows as my main OS now. yey i'm on linux :)

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

GeekyDad

It's over, Microsoft won

Business Working GIF

So, couldn't backdoor, and came through the front door instead.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

This growth is easy to see is largely down to the Steam Deck, with SteamOS 3 being clearly the most popular way to play games on a Linux system now:
  • SteamOS Holo 64 bit 25.77% + 0.79%.
  • Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS 64 bit 10.89% - 1.38%.
  • Arch Linux 64 bit 9.37% + 0.25%.
  • Manjaro Linux 64 bit 6.72% - 0.20%.
  • Freedesktop.org SDK 22.08 (Flatpak runtime) 64 bit 5.82% + 0.11%.
  • Linux Mint 21 64 bit 3.90% + 3.90%.
  • Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS 64 bit 3.71% + 3.71%.
  • Other 33.81% - 7.18%.

It's also interesting to see that SteamOS and the Steam Deck GPU percentages match in the Linux data, along with it not showing up on the Windows data at all making Windows on Steam Deck a tiny minority.

sorry if this is not the right place to ask but i'm using ubuntu as my main OS now and i have an nvidia card.

i'm thinking about upgrading my GPU (for gaming on windows). how do drivers work? can i just swap them out or would i need to remove the current drivers? i didn't manually install the drivers myself. when i installed ubuntu it came up with a list of drivers on its own.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
sorry if this is not the right place to ask but i'm using ubuntu as my main OS now and i have an nvidia card.

i'm thinking about upgrading my GPU (for gaming on windows). how do drivers work? can i just swap them out or would i need to remove the current drivers? i didn't manually install the drivers myself. when i installed ubuntu it came up with a list of drivers on its own.

Try going into the software shop, it should have a drivers section.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Are you sticking with Nvidia or switching? And I assume you mean when you switch over to Windows? Windows Nvidia has GeForce app that will notify you whenever new drivers are available. Not sure if it's an option on Linux.

thanks for the replies but sadly i have decided to give up on Linux. after installing my new card (RTX 4080) i have another issue...

i had secure boot enabled and after inserting my GPU i was getting no display output. i could tell by looking at my motherboard bug codes it was infact loading to the grub screen and if i hit enter it would boot into Ubuntu (or if i scrolled down to windows or bios option they'd load too). just no display. i had a similar issue when installing ubuntu so i had an idea that secure boot was the issue so i went into BIOS and disabled it. yup...was now getting display output.

ubuntu automatically recognised the new card and adjusted the driver! went into windows and done a clean install of drivers for this card. thinking maybe it was a driver issue i went back to enable secure boot and no display again! i tried and tried to fix it and ultimately managed to get output when booting into windows. no such luck with ubuntu so i thought fuck this i can't be arsed.

wiped my nvme ssd and installed Windows 11 only. sure i could have kept Ubuntu and not ran Secure Boot but then i wouldn't be able to play games like Fortnite, Valorant, Fifa. and i didn't just spend £1,200 upgrading my GPU to be limited in what games I can play.

i'll miss linux. i was so happy it was finally working out for me. i did think about reinstalling it after doing a clean windows install but if it fucks up again i don't want to have to reinstall everything again.

so i'm stuck on Windows now. yey. maybe some point down the road i'll give it a shot again. i mean, it was working fine with my RTX 2080 but it's not working with an RTX 4080? hmm.. i don't know why it's not working.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
thanks for the replies but sadly i have decided to give up on Linux. after installing my new card (RTX 4080) i have another issue...

i had secure boot enabled and after inserting my GPU i was getting no display output. i could tell by looking at my motherboard bug codes it was infact loading to the grub screen and if i hit enter it would boot into Ubuntu (or if i scrolled down to windows or bios option they'd load too). just no display. i had a similar issue when installing ubuntu so i had an idea that secure boot was the issue so i went into BIOS and disabled it. yup...was now getting display output.

ubuntu automatically recognised the new card and adjusted the driver! went into windows and done a clean install of drivers for this card. thinking maybe it was a driver issue i went back to enable secure boot and no display again! i tried and tried to fix it and ultimately managed to get output when booting into windows. no such luck with ubuntu so i thought fuck this i can't be arsed.

wiped my nvme ssd and installed Windows 11 only. sure i could have kept Ubuntu and not ran Secure Boot but then i wouldn't be able to play games like Fortnite, Valorant, Fifa. and i didn't just spend £1,200 upgrading my GPU to be limited in what games I can play.

i'll miss linux. i was so happy it was finally working out for me. i did think about reinstalling it after doing a clean windows install but if it fucks up again i don't want to have to reinstall everything again.

so i'm stuck on Windows now. yey. maybe some point down the road i'll give it a shot again. i mean, it was working fine with my RTX 2080 but it's not working with an RTX 4080? hmm.. i don't know why it's not working.

Nvidia issued a firmware update to fix certain boot issues, maybe worth a try?

Nvidia issued a firmware update to fix certain boot issues, maybe worth a try?
i'm on the latest drivers. i searched to see what this was about but i can only find an article from last year regarding 3000 cards.

i managed to get it working with windows 11 but no matter what i did i couldn't get video display booted into ubuntu unless i disabled secure boot.

not sure this fixes my issue but thanks :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
i'm on the latest drivers. i searched to see what this was about but i can only find an article from last year regarding 3000 cards.

i managed to get it working with windows 11 but no matter what i did i couldn't get video display booted into ubuntu unless i disabled secure boot.

not sure this fixes my issue but thanks :)

Excuse my ignorance, but does nvidia update firmware when they update drivers?

I'm a bit disconnected from the whole GPU thingamagic. Anyways if I were you i wouldn't update the firmware if the bug described is not what you experience.... updating firmware always gives me shivers haha.

edit: found an article about it, might help https://wccftech.com/blank-screen-g...-4080-fixed-in-latest-nvidia-firmware-update/

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but does nvidia update firmware when they update drivers?

I'm a bit disconnected from the whole GPU thingamagic. Anyways if I were you i wouldn't update the firmware if the bug described is not what you experience.... updating firmware always gives me shivers haha.

edit: found an article about it, might help https://wccftech.com/blank-screen-g...-4080-fixed-in-latest-nvidia-firmware-update/
ahh sorry i thought you meant drivers! i didn't know you could update firmware.

it could work...but this says if you have no display UNTIL the OS loads. i was getting no display during boot, grub screen, and with the OS loaded.

i was thinking what harm can it do to update the firmware but it says not to unless i have the issue. i don't know what to do lol surely upgrading the firmware shouldn't do any damage??

edit: you know...now i think about it i am not sure if i'm getting any display during boot. i've only booted up into windows twice so far and i'm not at my PC right now to check but i do remember my monitor not getting a signal until the lock screen.

i'll check tomorrow if i can see my BIOS splash screen and if not i'll then update the firmware.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
ahh sorry i thought you meant drivers! i didn't know you could update firmware.

it could work...but this says if you have no display UNTIL the OS loads. i was getting no display during boot, grub screen, and with the OS loaded.

i was thinking what harm can it do to update the firmware but it says not to unless i have the issue. i don't know what to do lol surely upgrading the firmware shouldn't do any damage??

edit: you know...now i think about it i am not sure if i'm getting any display during boot. i've only booted up into windows twice so far and i'm not at my PC right now to check but i do remember my monitor not getting a signal until the lock screen.

i'll check tomorrow if i can see my BIOS splash screen and if not i'll then update the firmware.

Just be careful about firmware updates, bricking is rare but it's a thing. Be sure you need to do it.

Unknown?

Just updated to Mint 21 a few weeks ago. Have cinnamon completely customized to be more modern. I'll never go back to closed source operating systems.

Also loving coreboot and the ability to disable the Intel Management Engine. Everything boots super fast with such a lightweight bios. Just too bad it still has proprietary blobs in it. A fully open source bios would be rad.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hey guys, I didn't know we had a Linux thread.

I've been a long time Red Hat and Windows user. I use Linux mostly for work but also on my Steam Deck. And being honest, SteamOS is a damn good distro if all you want to do is play games, browse the web, and check emails and such.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey guys, I didn't know we had a Linux thread.

I've been a long time Red Hat and Windows user. I use Linux mostly for work but also on my Steam Deck. And being honest, SteamOS is a damn good distro if all you want to do is play games, browse the web, and check emails and such.

Welcome BadBurger to the penguin party 🎈🎉

Just updated to Mint 21 a few weeks ago. Have cinnamon completely customized to be more modern. I'll never go back to closed source operating systems.

Also loving coreboot and the ability to disable the Intel Management Engine. Everything boots super fast with such a lightweight bios. Just too bad it still has proprietary blobs in it. A fully open source bios would be rad.

Some people are working hard to remove all propietary code from firmware.

Read a little bit about System76 and their efforts… shame their laptops are modified Clevo units tho with things changed so they run coreboot.

Unknown?

Welcome BadBurger to the penguin party 🎈🎉

Some people are working hard to remove all propietary code from firmware.

Read a little bit about System76 and their efforts… shame their laptops are modified Clevo units tho with things changed so they run coreboot.
That is a shame, hopefully they ditch Clevo someday.

I have a StarLabs Starbook and they use their own custom hardware(ditched clevo a few years ago) but if System76 had a 100% open source firmware I might go with them next(or both!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom