• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I have too much to play so I won't be there day 1, but I am pretty excited for Super Mario Wonder. Not a huge 2D Mario fan but the fact that it's compared to Super Mario World (and shares the same abbreviation - SMW) has me stoked.
This reminded me (as my wife's starting SM Wonder) to go back and replay Links Awakening. It seems like I played it when it launched but don't recall much. I'll replay that before the next remaster (unless the next remaster is Twilight Princess or Wind waker).

mystech

There’s a damn good chance we might see some of the 3rd party launch titles for the Switch 2 at TGA tonight. Of course they won’t say mention the system but I’d assume most new multi platform releases will hit the new Nintendo system.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
There’s a damn good chance we might see some of the 3rd party launch titles for the Switch 2 at TGA tonight. Of course they won’t say mention the system but I’d assume most new multi platform releases will hit the new Nintendo system.
If there are any, it's not going to be 'Switch 2' exclusive. Nintendo knows that they're nearing Switch's last year and if anything, it'd be cross-gen as so many IPs were from WiiU to Switch. Well...kinda/sorta in that case since WiiU was abandoned pretty early on with Switch and the ported to titles (such as Mario Kart 8) were readied for Switch...just in case.

This reminded me (as my wife's starting SM Wonder) to go back and replay Links Awakening. It seems like I played it when it launched but don't recall much. I'll replay that before the next remaster (unless the next remaster is Twilight Princess or Wind waker).

Link's Awakening is the best 2D Zelda, and the remake fixes every problem from only having two buttons. Definitive version of the game for sure.

Andyliini

So, what do you fellow Nintendo GAF members think the next year will look like? For now we have following games confirmed for 2024:

Another Code Recollection - January
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong - February
Princess Peach Showtime! - March
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - Spring
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - sometime in 2024

Then there's also Splatoon 3 single player DLC coming in Spring. Based on this, I think Splatoon 3 DLC is coming in April, while Luigi's Mansion is for May. Paper Mario then on either June or July. And of course there will be February DIrect with some new surprises for next year.

NanaMiku

So, what do you fellow Nintendo GAF members think the next year will look like? For now we have following games confirmed for 2024:

Then there's also Splatoon 3 single player DLC coming in Spring. Based on this, I think Splatoon 3 DLC is coming in April, while Luigi's Mansion is for May. Paper Mario then on either June or July. And of course there will be February DIrect with some new surprises for next year.

I want a new Xenoblade, but it's still too soon. So I will settle for Xenoblade X port

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Link's Awakening is the best 2D Zelda, and the remake fixes every problem from only having two buttons. Definitive version of the game for sure.
Best next to A Link to the Past. That's where I started but we've talked enough...I think I'll fire it up.

Some of these could come with much closer release dates to each other. For instance, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door will likely come in the wake of something else in the Mario franchise (not unlike how Super Mario Wonder & RPG Remake were released very close to each other). Looking to be a super fun year though. I never owned a 3DS and never played Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (2). So...that'd be new for me.

I think we'll be getting a next-gen Nintendo console next year. Paper Mario AND Mario vs DK? We are due for one last Kirby game, perhaps Metroid Prime 2 remaster. I can't see them going another 2 years without the next big 3D Mario, it's been 6 years already and that is 100% going to be a launch game.

Andyliini

There will most likely be a Direct in February, like last year, but I'm not sure when would the Switch successor be revealed. There are a few games already dated and maybe Nintendo does not want to sweep a rug under their feet. Then again, most of these are not heavy sellers, so maybe new hardware does little with these games...

Personally, I don't think we'll see new hardware before the fall.

Hudo

I want a new Xenoblade, but it's still too soon. So I will settle for Xenoblade X port
Maybe we'll see their rumored action rpg/action game on Switch 2? I think the Xenoblade team will need a couple of years to make a new Xenoblade.

mrbaba

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait, this thread is still around? Wow. Serves you bozos right for trying to move to Discord.

Xenoblade X coming to Switch 2 would need to be a full do-over. The original had major, major design issues and barely attempted any sort of plot or meaningful progression. The soundtrack needs to be thrown out, too. Cool visual aesthetic, though. And it would be amazing if they remade it into what the game should've been the first time around.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I'm not playing it at 30fps, sorry buddy.
Angry I Hate You GIF by Britannia

Jooxed

Gold Member
Wait, this thread is still around? Wow. Serves you bozos right for trying to move to Discord.

Xenoblade X coming to Switch 2 would need to be a full do-over. The original had major, major design issues and barely attempted any sort of plot or meaningful progression. The soundtrack needs to be thrown out, too. Cool visual aesthetic, though. And it would be amazing if they remade it into what the game should've been the first time around.
Every once in a while I pop back in and bump it lol

Woopah

What makes you think there won't be a February Direct? I can see a mini before the Switch 2 announcement in March or April.

Maybe no February direct?!?! :(. Looks like we are getting closer to a Switch 2 announcement

I had assumed they showed basically everything left for the Switch during the last Direct because they uncharacteristically showed a few games like TTYD well prior to release. The recent rumor with the remakes and DK would be awesome, but pretty skeptical about those with the Switch 2 coming out sometime this year.

Nintendo has no fear of releasing games for an older system even after the new one is out. Metroid: Samus Returns launched 6 months after the Switch debut. Twilight Princess nearly a month after the Wii launch.

I do think we'll get a few more excellent releases on Switch that we don't know about yet, but I'd be willing to guess the vast majority of announcements are going to be the Super Switch. Nintendo knows how important it is to launch with a few big profile games to sell systems.

magnumpy

Nintendo has no fear of releasing games for an older system even after the new one is out. Metroid: Samus Returns launched 6 months after the Switch debut. Twilight Princess nearly a month after the Wii launch.

I do think we'll get a few more excellent releases on Switch that we don't know about yet, but I'd be willing to guess the vast majority of announcements are going to be the Super Switch. Nintendo knows how important it is to launch with a few big profile games to sell systems.

I wonder how backwards compatibility will factor into all this. if Switch 2 is fully backwards compatible, it might not matter what system a game is announced for. well, except for the install base, which obviously will start from 0 with the "Super Switch"

but usually Nintendo isn't easily impressed with a systems specs. the OG Switch might have a very long tail.

I wonder how backwards compatibility will factor into all this. if Switch 2 is fully backwards compatible, it might not matter what system a game is announced for. well, except for the install base, which obviously will start from 0 with the "Super Switch"

but usually Nintendo isn't easily impressed with a systems specs. the OG Switch might have a very long tail.

Furukawa is really practical, and nobody's fool. I am expecting they will keep BC this go around to capitalize on the Switch userbase, because their competitors all did it this gen, and because it isn't a big technological hurdle if they are continuing with Tegra chips. I think you're right about Switch having a long tail, whether it's Super Switch BC or people hanging onto their Switches - people really love the platform and seem to want to collect for it. It's going to be relevant for a long time.

Jooxed

Gold Member
You're going to be working for a very long time then because there's like 10 Trails games.
Yeah i blew through the Sky Trilogy, think im a little burnt out because crossbell is going a little slower even though I like it more. Ive been playing some stuff on the side on switch like Cassette beasts and AI Somnium Files.

Yeah i blew through the Sky Trilogy, think im a little burnt out because crossbell is going a little slower even though I like it more. Ive been playing some stuff on the side on switch like Cassette beasts and AI Somnium Files.

Are you enjoying AI? That one is on my backlog and I want to give it a look-see.

Mr Hyde

Pre-ordered this bad boy.

aOFbhpv.jpg

It was a bit pricey (100 dollars). But I really wanted it as Blasphemous 2 is a fantastic sequel, and I wanted a physical copy. Lots of cool stuff in it as well, like illustrations and art cards of the cool and disturbing iconography. It even comes with a printed map. Looking forward to dive in to NG+ in this game again. I hope Game Kitchen has some sort of expansion ready as well.

Shifty1897

Thought it should be discussed that Mother 3 was shadow dropped onto Switch Online in the Japanese version of the partner direct. No news on a western release though.

Even in retirement, Reggie burns us.
Reggie Fils-Aime Nintendo GIF by Mega 64

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member

aOFbhpv.jpg

It was a bit pricey (100 dollars). But I really wanted it as Blasphemous 2 is a fantastic sequel, and I wanted a physical copy. Lots of cool stuff in it as well, like illustrations and art cards of the cool and disturbing iconography. It even comes with a printed map. Looking forward to dive in to NG+ in this game again. I hope Game Kitchen has some sort of expansion ready as well.
I still need to play the first one.. it sits in my backlog waiting. Nice looking edition though!

Jooxed

Gold Member

aOFbhpv.jpg

How hard would you say 1 is?

Mr Hyde

How hard would you say 1 is?

About a 6/10 if you're familiar with Metroidvanias. Learning how to parry is important too in regards to a few enemies and bosses. Overall, not super difficult, but definitely challenging, especially late game bosses and some of the DLC bosses.

Top Bottom