• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Intoxicate

Sorry Jooxed Jooxed , could not get along with the white Joy Con, they distract me from playing in handheld 🤪 looks nice in the dock though:

W27suoB.jpg

So I kept the black one and will use my grey Joy Con, maybe the odyssey red Joy Con will also get more use again

tTF9izF.jpg

Last edited:

TexMex

So I today I officially secured the last GameCube game I was missing (Skies of Arcadia Legends) from when I sold off my collection years ago to keep the lights on. Previously had rebought all my GBA stuff. Spent a fortune but glad to have it all back.

I’ve had so much fun going through all this old stuff again. I’ve had it all, NES to present, but I really think the GameCube + GBA combo really can’t be beat in the Nintendo timeline. Haven’t had a day like getting Metroid Fusion and Prime on the same day since. REmake. That Wind Waker pre-order bonus disc. Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Zero Mission. This generation was so goddamn good.

Does anyone else have the issue with joycons where if you are sitting around 8-10 feet from the dock the connection can get spotty especially if you lose line of sight? It’s very jarring when playing Metroid with the very responsive controls. I never have an issue at same distance with my ps5 or Xbox series s so I assume it’s something with the switch. Would a pro controller or 3rd party control mitigate the issue?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Does anyone else have the issue with joycons where if you are sitting around 8-10 feet from the dock the connection can get spotty especially if you lose line of sight? It’s very jarring when playing Metroid with the very responsive controls. I never have an issue at same distance with my ps5 or Xbox series s so I assume it’s something with the switch. Would a pro controller or 3rd party control mitigate the issue?
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is the best. Was hesitant to get it for months and months but when I finally did get it last year, it turned out to be an amazingly well designed controller. Probably the second or third best controller ever made. It works perfect with Metroid Dread too

I love the Switch, but detest JoyCons for their lack of quality. You’re much better off playing with the official Pro Controller imo

Mr Hyde

Finally, after two weeks of just working, I just finished my setup of my new OLED model. Played The Witcher 3 for about two hours and it's a pretty significant upgrade in the screen. It looks amazing on that 7 incher. The build quality seems much improved too, it feels sturdier and more premium. My OG Switch was kinda loose, if I can put it that way, the joy cons didn't feel like they were attached enough and easily slid off the rails, but on OLED they feel very much attached. Loving it do far and the extra battery life is a big (and much needed) improvement as well.

I was so excited for Metroid Dread, it was my most anticipated game of the year, and when it finally dropped in the mail, I was hit with a tidal wave of work, so haven't really gotten around to it yet. But I'm free this weekend so I'm gonna dive in head first as soon as I wake up on Friday.

SEGA_2012

I have been playing some Super Nintendo games on my Switch Online.

Donkey Kong Country: games is so good. Always loved it.

Super Mario 3: Game is HARD as i remember.

Zelda Link to the Past: I played almost nothing of Zelda in my life. Going to play more, with my Switch. I am liking it, so far. The soundtrack is really good.

Mr Hyde

Ordered a new 256 gb micro SD card. Previously I had 128 but felt I needed to expand it even more. This will net me a cool 300 gigs of storage on the Switch. Feels good. Also applied a screen protector (first thing I did, would be very upset if the screen got scratched) and bought a new fancy looking carrying case, because my previous one didn't fit the OLED (which kinda sucks because it had a built in battery that was very good). Now I'm all set for that sweet handheld experience.

Impotaku

I have had this happen in the past, have you made sure to update the firmware in all your joycons? I remember mario oddyssey been affected by it i would jump and the controller would miss inputs like it was lagging but it was because it was losing connection because it was too far away when in fact i was less than 6 feet away from my switch, updating the firmware on all my cons seemed to fix it. Saying that i do own a pro controller & i have never had that even once lose connection when playing.

Mr Hyde

The Witcher 3 is so beautiful on Switch, especially in Skellige. I'm already in love with the new screen, the colors do really pop and everything looks so vivid and rich. I'd say the Witcher 3 is the best port on Switch. It's so cool to have such a legendary game on a damn portable. Truly a revolution. I'm almost done with the main campaign and then I'm gonna blast through the two expansions. 65 hours in, so it might be another 65 before I'm done with it. What a journey!

Mr Hyde

Very impressed so far with Metroid Dread. Defeated the second EMMI and got kinda lost after that. Didn't have time to explore due to work calling, but so far it's good shit. Love the swift controls, Samus feels great to move and the parry mechanic is neat. Looks stunning on the OLED. Like really really good looking. I docked it and tried on the tv and it didn't hold a candle to portable mode. I think I will go 100 % handheld now with OLED. Before it was like 70/30 split.

Jeeves

Anyone know if this battery replacement works with the non-XL New 3DS?

The page doesn't mention New 3DS but the only other one they sell is for XL.

bender

What time is it?
Close to getting 100% on Metroid Dread, only need one item
But this may take a while...Been at it for 80 min already lol

I mentioned this in the other thread but when in mid air, let go of the analog stick, press and hold b, then choose a direction. Shinesparks were kicking my ass prior because I was pressing/holding b at the same time as selecting a direction.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I mentioned this in the other thread but when in mid air, let go of the analog stick, press and hold b, then choose a direction. Shinesparks were kicking my ass prior because I was pressing/holding b at the same time as selecting a direction.
That was never my issue, what really stumped me was the method I needed to use, from where, and to where. That took so long to figure out. I told this already, but gotta repeat it - I worked out that shinespark for so long I fucked up my ulnar nerve some the same way a writer would after constant writing/typing. Was on a fucking mission, and got it done. No regrets

Metroid Dread GOTY

TexMex

I’ve got it up and going. Pretty sure the online for Mario kart isn’t there yet or I’m missing it.

Edit: found it. You’ll be surprised to hear that Nintendo has an online interface that’s clunky and bad.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I’ve got it up and going. Pretty sure the online for Mario kart isn’t there yet or I’m missing it.

Edit: found it. You’ll be surprised to hear that Nintendo has an online interface that’s clunky and bad.

How can you play Mario Kart when WinBack is sitting there waiting for you to enjoy it?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Cutty Flam Cutty Flam Just thought I'd let you know that a datamine of the NSO N64 App suggests Mario Party 1-3 are planned to come to it eventually.

Hopefully. But remember that last datamine about the GB and GB Color games? I take everything with a grain of salt until it actually happens when it comes to gaming. Too many false reports from insiders and that never materialize

But if that happens, that’ll be the perfect trio of games to add

Shaqazooloo

Hopefully. But remember that last datamine about the GB and GB Color games? I take everything with a grain of salt until it actually happens when it comes to gaming. Too many false reports from insiders and that never materialize

But if that happens, that’ll be the perfect trio of games to add
I get that, that's usually the way I go about it, but datamines are based off of stuff that can be proven to of at least existed and are more reliable.

The Gameboy stuff is weird because the datamine suggests they skipped over it, at least for now, since the title IDs for the systems are Nes:1 Snes:2 N64:3 and MegaDrive is 5. 4 was skipped over for some reason and was likely Gameboy.

At the very least, I'm pretty sure they had it planned but might've scrapped it.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I get that, that's usually the way I go about it, but datamines are based off of stuff that can be proven to of at least existed and are more reliable.

The Gameboy stuff is weird because the datamine suggests they skipped over it, at least for now, since the title IDs for the systems are Nes:1 Snes:2 N64:3 and MegaDrive is 5. 4 was skipped over for some reason and was likely Gameboy.

At the very least, I'm pretty sure they had it planned but might've scrapped it.
It still could be that Nintendo plans to introduce the GB and GBC games later to the NSO subscription. But a bigger move like adding N64 games and Sega Genesis games right as the holidays approach was the better move. Plus they made two wireless controller options, smart business move

Shaqazooloo

Fake outrage over NSO expansion is annoying. People pretending it's unplayable. The fog complaints are understandable but the input lag bit was overblown. I was able to get some decent speedrunner practice in Ocarina of Time.

Glad I never buy into the online outrage.

TexMex

Fake outrage over NSO expansion is annoying. People pretending it's unplayable. The fog complaints are understandable but the input lag bit was overblown. I was able to get some decent speedrunner practice in Ocarina of Time.

Ok I thought I was going nuts. Granted I haven't spent a TON of time with it, but I remember firing up the WiiU VC version of SM64 and just immediately closing it. I ran through the first 20 stars on this though and didn't have any issues. I mean I guess if I put it under a magnifying glass I could tell a difference? Maybe? Played about an hour of OoT and my only feedback from that was that I was shocked at how much better it looked than I was expecting (granted I didn't make it to the Shadow Temple or wherever people seem to have found an issue within an hour of it going live). Dabbled with Mario Tennis and Kart. Idk - seemed fine to me. Maybe I'm so far removed from these games I just don't know any better, but it seems like there was a race last night to get the first OMG LOOK HOW BROKEN tweet or whatever.

Could it have been better? Sure. I guess? But I'm struggling to get that upset over $4 a month to have access to these perfectly functional games (among many others) on my Switch.

Shaqazooloo

Theirs definitely a rush from some people to claim it's broken. I've seen tweets of people using a glitch in oot that crashes the original and passing it off as a unique crash in the NSO version. You can't trust these people on Twitter.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Yup. But at the same time, I still want Nintendo to up their service to Xbox Live's lvl one day and hopefully with their next console. Not sure if that's even feasible though, Microsoft mastered the ways of the internet long before they ever made consoles, it was probably nothing to them. I'm with them on expressing their discontent, because the quality of Nintendo online is a joke compared to Xbox and Sony and its lowering the quality of experiences players can have with the games they pay for. The product should be excellent and there shouldn't be any complaints with hardly anything. Should be running smoothly like 95%+ of the time

In my experiences, if you play with people from other countries in games like Super Mario Party, SSBU then your chances of having a smooth game are straight fucked. A smooth game with little to no lag, it's not gonna happen.For whatever reason. Nintendo does need to improve their servers / netcode

Mr Hyde

Been playing on my OLED now for about a week, and I gotta say, it's pretty much everything I wanted from a handheld.

Big, beautiful and vibrant screen
Decent battery life
Nice ergonomics
Different ways to play - handheld, tabletop, tv
Good third party support
Stellar first party support
Console experiences on the go

I've never been into portable. I've tried several times, the Gameboy, GB Advance, Vita - all of them felt very lackluster and mediocre compared to the real deal. Switch on the other blows me away. It's such a great system. I hope Nintendo continues down this path and just makes better and more powerful iterations, instead of trying to invent the wheel again. Although it is that sort of forward thinking that did brought us the Switch, so you never know.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Yeah. Then again, Twitter lives on constant outrage, so it's nothing new. It just gets so tiresome after a while. I understand the price could be a bit high, but at least there is a choice, the family group. I use that and I pay 9€ a year for the expansion pack. That is pretty much nothing in the grand scheme.

I quickly played through the games and OoT certainly had some haze, where things far away looked a bit washed out but look great when they are close. There certainly is some lag as well, but you adapt to it quite quickly. I'm even actually quite impressed how well the resolution has been upgraded. In OoT, the hud looks very smooth and text is very easy to read, even on a 50" TV. I just saw a video of some other game from the same era, where text was barely readable, so that is something I really appreciate.

Also, at least the EU version has both EU and NA versions available for most games, which means you can choose wether you play the original version or take a nostalgia trip to 90's with PAL versions.

Impotaku

Been really enjoying hypnospace outlaw, decided i wanted something nice to theme with the game seeing as i'm able to use the mouse & kb options on switch like you can on pc. Nobody sells a suitably themed mousemat so i made my own, £6 custom print & now i have a one of a kind piece of merch.
Q6godCt.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Been really enjoying hypnospace outlaw, decided i wanted something nice to theme with the game seeing as i'm able to use the mouse & kb options on switch like you can on pc. Nobody sells a suitably themed mousemat so i made my own, £6 custom print & now i have a one of a kind piece of merch.
Q6godCt.jpg
That's pretty awesome honestly. Looking good.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone playing Pikmin Bloom? I just downloaded this morning and added a friend. I'm not sure how it is calculating the steps, as it doesn't seem to update in real-time. It updates just infrequently it seems?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Our little community has died. :(

I finished Dusk. It is one of the greatest FPS ever created. The only weak point is that most of the bosses aren't all that great except for the last one which is amazing. Great weapons, good enemy variety and god tier level design that is crammed full of secrets. Soundtrack is amazing too.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I've been in the gaming section a lot lately. This thread is still one of my favorites

Mario Party Superstars is so much fun, love that game already and cannot wait for DLC. I'm also on what is probably the final dungeon in Link's Awakening. After that, no question I'm going in for my first playthrough of FFVII, which I'm very excited for. Put it on hold for much too long, but before this month is over I'm thinking it's time

Can't decide if a LTTP thread for FFVII would be wise though. On one hand, it definitely enhances the experience in a lot of ways - these LTTPs. I'm one to really focus on details and love reflecting on gaming sessions, so might have to do it. But on the other hand, I'll 100% be neglecting all posts that don't directly quote me lol. Only to avoid spoilers though. It's such a popular classic, something that has always seemed like the "Ocarina of Time" of Playstation in my mind, so it interests me to hear what others might have to say about the game

Shaqazooloo

I mean I could talk about what I've been playing lately but I'm worried I might start rambling about my current Yugioh addiction and how much I like Yugioh Legacy of the duelist. It's pulled me away from everything else lately. I just hope it doesn't get in the way of me playing SMTV.

Aldric

I finished Dusk. It is one of the greatest FPS ever created. The only weak point is that most of the bosses aren't all that great except for the last one which is amazing. Great weapons, good enemy variety and god tier level design that is crammed full of secrets. Soundtrack is amazing too.
Yeah what happend to this thread, I check from time to time to see if it's active but it's mostly dead.

We need some major release or news to create discussion, hopefully Nintendo shows something during Geoff's shitshow next month.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Been too busy playing games to chat about them!

Been busy playing Great Ace Attorney, Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, Animal Crossing, and going to have SMTV here shortly.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Same here, been playing Mario Party Superstars like a fiend, and when I’m not doing that it’s Link’s Awakening Remake until completed. And then of course there was Metroid Dread early October which was putting hair on our chests by the minute

N64 and Genesis games are out as well, so many choices

Mr Hyde

Recently got NSMBU. On my second world only but so far I dig it. I think I like 2D Mario better than 3D Mario, although those games are great too. Especially Bowser's Fury was top notch. But there is something about 2D Mario that just clicks. I'm still holding out for a game that's on par with World, so I hope NSMBU can top it. 3D World was awesome but the isometric perspective threw me off sometimes.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Deaths Gambit is getting a cool physical edition with lots of goodies. I haven't heard about this game before but it looks fucking awesome. A Metroidvania sprinkled with Dark Souls-vibes. Definitely up my alley. They apparently revamped the game with a massive expansion called Afterlife and it's getting glowing reviews. I'm grabbing this. Hype!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Was playing SMTV when my pro controller decided to stop working. At first I was like

ry87Wmj.jpg

But then I merely repaired and it was working again. Back on that SMT grind baby like

qkQvcI0.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fuck it I am buying an OLED Switch and giving away my OG. I have come to realize these games are best played handheld.

Who wants my old Switch once I secure an OLED?

Edit: lol this shit is out of stock everywhere. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom