• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GALAX "Confirms" GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3060 that "Matches RTX 2080". 3070 is shown as slower than 2080Ti

llien

An alleged event by GALAX targeted at distributors in China revealed up to three upcoming SKUs in NVIDIA's RTX 30-series. This comes as yet another confirmation from a major NVIDIA AIC partner about the 20 GB variant of the GeForce RTX 3080. The RTX 3080 originally launched with 10 GB memory earlier this month, and it is widely expected that NVIDIA fills the price-performance gap between this $700 SKU and its $1,500 sibling. The RTX 3080 uses twenty 8 Gbit GDDR6X memory chips (two chips per 32-bit data-path), much like how the RTX 3090 achieves its 24 GB memory amount.

Elsewhere we see GALAX mention the RTX 3060, a performance-segment SKU positioned under the RTX 3070. You'll notice that the product-stack graph by GALAX suggests performance comparisons to previous-generation SKUs. The RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 are faster than everything from the previous generation, while the RTX 3070, which is coming next month, is shown trading blows with both the RTX 2080 Ti and the RTX 2080 Super. In this same graph, the RTX 3060 is shown matching up to the RTX 2080 (non-Super), a card NVIDIA originally launched at $700.

IWTV7Jb.png

There's an unnamed SKU slotted between the RTX 3070 and the RTX 3080 10 GB, which is codenamed "PG142 SKU 0." Some AICs/OEMs are referring to this as the "RTX 3070 Ti," and others the "RTX 3070 Super." Given that the Super brand extension has been used by NVIDIA to denote a mid-life refresh for an existing product stack, it's very likely that this SKU is simply the RTX 3070 16 GB (RTX 3070 with 16 GB of GDDR6 memory, and perhaps bolstering in other areas). This SKU is shown trading blows with the RTX 2080 Ti and the TITAN RTX.

TPU

cucuchu

GamerNexus has made some videos where he addresses the 10gb gddrx6 on the 3080's and how its not quite as limiting as people think. People confuse vram allocation with vram utilization, and in the latter there is still plenty of breathing room at 4k. Not to mention gddrx6 is roughly 20% more efficient than gddrx...I've seen higher estimates but I'm not convinced of those yet.

Even still If I were gaming 4k, I might consider waiting for the 20gb version if I wanted to future proof to last until the GPU generation after next. At 1440p which is my preferred PC gaming resolution, I don't see 10gb being an issue until the time I would be upgrading my GPU anyways.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
There is no double a 3080 20gb is coming. I honestly believe the 10gb was a last minute change by Nvidia to hit the price point while also dealing with massive memory shortages

tkscz

GamerNexus has made some videos where he addresses the 10gb gddrx6 on the 3080's and how its not quite as limiting as people think. People confuse vram allocation with vram utilization, and in the latter there is still plenty of breathing room at 4k. Not to mention gddrx6 is roughly 20% more efficient than gddrx...I've seen higher estimates but I'm not convinced of those yet.

Even still If I were gaming 4k, I might consider waiting for the 20gb version if I wanted to future proof to last until the GPU generation after next. At 1440p which is my preferred PC gaming resolution, I don't see 10gb being an issue until the time I would be upgrading my GPU anyways.

Come to say this about the 20GB of vram. Even on true next gen games, I don't see 20GBs getting fully utilized at just 4k. Can't say for 4k with RT on and DLSS off.

I'm really hoping for a surprise about the cost of the 3060. Going to assume $300, but hoping for old **60 prices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom