• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra Opinion: "2009 - The Last Days of the Japanese RPG?"

Darkmakaimura said:
The weird thing is, I'm not into anime. I like Death Note and Hellsing but never could get into anime. But for some reason, it so well done in some JRPGs. I really love the characters in Vesperia, especially Yuri, Rita and Raven.

I'm still of the opinion this works this way with you and I because it's either theatrical in nature, or that character time steps aside often for gameplay so it doesn't wear out its welcome.

PS: Dragon Age. Trust me.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Garl_Vinland said:
how's Vesperia? It's gamecube right? never got a chance to play that one. similar to Lunar?
No, its 360 (and PS3 too in Japan). You're thinking of Symphonia (naming conventions, yadda yadda yadda). Its not much like Lunar; the game most similar to it is actually Star Ocean (both series share the same origin).

It's like a trade-off, you either have a great focused story with linear gameplay or a less-focused story with non-linear gameplay.

Dragon Age and Planescape Torment are actually the only western RPGs i played that actually manage to have superb focused plots while having non-linear gameplay and exploration. Other non-linear rpgs like fallout 3 and oblivion have a superb atmosphere but the main storyline itself isn't as focused or strong relatively speaking (but still good).

Then its a matter of style. Some people warm up to the japanese "anime" style more while others like the medieval dungeons and dragons style more.

grandjedi6 said:
No, its 360 (and PS3 too in Japan). You're thinking of Symphonia (naming conventions, yadda yadda yadda). Its not much like Lunar; the game most similar to it is actually Star Ocean (both series share the same origin).

thanks :) All these tales of... it gets so confusing :p Ahh Star Ocean, nice. Just picked up that game for the PSP. Looking forward to it. I missed this one during the PS one days.

Top Bottom