• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game franchises you hear about, see people play, and still don't know what their about.

These games seem to have a massive following and profound lore and term where if I wanted to play, I wouldn't know where to start.

Warhammer 40,000
Atelier Ryza
Persona

What are other games you hear about but never really understand both in why people play and the lore/terms?

killatopak

DnD, Warhammer etc.

Pretty much any board games or traditional roleplaying. I’m probably too young or the place I lived in didn’t have much of a community around it. I always want go and play these but don‘t know where to start.

It’s pretty daunting with all the huge rule books you have to read.

T4keD0wN

Halo
Fallout
Metal Gear
Final Fantasy
Zelda

Ive tried some of those games, had absolutely no clue what the hell was going on at any point in any of those games. Most of the stuff made no sense. Theyre for weirdos.
Also, what the hell is Arkham World?

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Halo
Fallout
Metal Gear
Final Fantasy
Zelda

Ive tried some of those games, had absolutely no clue what the hell was going on at any point in any of those games. Most of the stuff made no sense. Theyre for weirdos.
Also, what the hell is Arkham World?
Halo is complicated for you? Do you have special needs or something?

Kev Kev

The ones with this chick...

MV5BZDI2ZDAwNDUtN2JhOC00NDg5LWIwZjItOGY0N2Y0YzVmN2M0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

I got nothin 🤷‍♂️ No idea what it is or what it's about.

T4keD0wN

Halo is complicated for you? Do you have special needs or something?
I get some parts of halo: music and guns. The music is cool, i get that and i also know what most guns shoot. I have no clue what is each grenade supposed to do or what is the difference between an elite and a brute, ive thought theyre the same thing.

Its the story, lore and the tv show that left me confused (i didnt even attempt to read any of the books).
I just couldnt keep up with the enemy factions and their names. Apparently theres like multiple of them.
Its just too messy for me and the fact that the games didnt have any subtitles making it impossible to know whats being said over the sound of gunfire and explosions also didnt help.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What are other games you hear about but never really understand both in why people play and the lore/terms?

Not quite what you’re asking for, but for years I was a loyal Heartstone player. Played it during my breaks at work daily, and even at home.

I’d go into a Hearthstone thread and half the time I never understood the lingo. Here’s a game I played daily and yet I didn’t understand what the fuck people were talking about in discussions. All because I was playing for fun and not diving down the rabbit hole following streamers and strategy sites.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
The Last Of Us & Uncharted series. I don’t get the appeal.
I think the thread is about not knowing anything about the games and not whether you like them or not. I don't like TLOU either, but even i know it's about some lunatic killing many people and dooming mankind to protect one girl and his reward is playing golf with She-Hulk.

Last edited:

SHA

Before Dota, it's right there but I don't feel part of its world , basically every strategy game I was like that but I now know much about them ,it's really bad this way ,you wouldn't resist forever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pikmin. I think you round up lemmings of some sort and build shit?

Dwarf Fortress. I think it comes down to a giant rogue game you build stuff and hope you dont get overrun by monsters invading your fort

Factorio. Not sure if it's a business game or a survival game (since I've seen alien creatures you kill). I guess both?

Tomorrow Children. Crazy cool graphics. I remember just seeing videos of controlling a character walking around town

ReBurn

Gold Member
This makes me think about every time someone posts a random screenshot with no context in one of those "best games" threads and expects that everyone just knows what the game is.

Mr Hyde

Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel

Always heard good things about this franchise but always been a little intimidated to try it out. The series spans a lot of games and they are all connected, some are downright straight sequels picking up where the last one left off. It doesn't get any less confusing with Nisa and Falcom only porting some games for the west, while others are stuck in Japan, requiring fan translations. However, I've done a little research and will dive into the series with Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure, as they seem to be the most fun, and have a self contained story, even if they are connected to an overall larger story arc.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
All the Megami Tensei games. Something something weebs.
TimeSplitters. I gather this is a fun FPS series. Going by the title, I'd expect some sort of time travel mechanic. But I'm really not interested in playing an FPS with a gamepad, and I think only one of the games is on PC, playable through Homefront: The Revolution? Never seen gameplay, no idea what it looks like.
Gears of War is either a military TPS (but maybe also sci-fi), or humans fighting off an alien invasion.
GAF loves Binary Domain, right? I might be mixing up games. I dunno what that one's about. But GAF also loves Dragon's Dogma, so I trust GAF's taste.

Pelao

Madden NFL. What the hell are those lines on the floor for? Why are we running? Who are we? The hell is going on? Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Top Bottom