• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer October cover - Dark Souls III

270-cover-reveal-spread-610.jpg

The Dark Souls series has had a fascinating rise in popularity over the years, spurred on from the success of Demon’s Souls and other dark fantasy From Software titles that came before it. Players hungry for a challenge, elaborate environments, and some of the most interesting characters and enemies in all of gaming have everything to be excited about as director Hidetaka Miyazaki returns to the Dark Souls series for this upcoming third installment.

In the October issue of Game Informer, we pick From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki’s brain regarding everything from game design to the culinary arts. We also look into how Bloodborne has influenced Dark Souls III, and discuss which aspects of the Souls games are making it into the third game – and which are being removed. We’ve got new details on the magic system and more info on the features that make up the core of Dark Souls III.

In addition to our dive into Dark Souls III, we also go hands on with Xenoblade Chronicles X, chronicle the hottest games of Gamescom, explore the strong female characters of Witcher 3, and investigate the eSports performance enhancing drugs controversy. The rest of the issue is packed with other cool games like World of Warcraft: Legion, Mafia III, Xcom 2, Scalebound, NBA 2K16, and more. You even get a chance to vote on the next Marvel Heroes 2016 character coming to the game, so be sure to check that out next week.

Keep visiting the site throughout the month, as we’ll be rolling out several interesting Dark Souls features, including more insight into the mind of Miyazaki, a special Let’s Play of the original game, and more. Click on the banner below to visit our Dark Souls III hub and follow our coverage.

Link

Auctopus

Hooray.

More info is great, interesting that they're bigging up Miyazaki for this entry. Installs more confidence in me.

Mcdohl

Played it at Pax (the demo booth had DSIII running on some Alienware laptops).

It felt more fast-paced than DS1 but not as much as BB.

Also, for some reason I could not parry with my shield (maybe controls changed, maybe the parry removed, maybe feature wasn't ready for demo, maybe my demo was defective).

Anyway, the game certainly looks promising, and the demo was fun. Looking forward to it :D

I still need to play DS II in the meantime!

Sanctuary

We’ve got new details on the magic system and more info on the features that make up the core of Dark Souls III.

There will now only be three weapon buffs total, and nothing else to worry about casting!
But seriously, if you follow the series as it started with Demon's, it's pretty clear how much they don't want anyone enjoying a caster playstyle. It's progressively gotten worse over time, even if it temporarily started out strong. Bloodborne may as well not even have a "magic" system for how useless of a stat it is and the inefficient trinkets. I wouldn't be surprised if this was all because of PvP, which isn't even the focus of the game, despite there being a very small hardcore following.

CHC

I love when a series is so good that I legitimately don't even give a shit about following any news. It's just a foregone conclusion that I'm going to buy this and adore it.

After playing Bloodborne, it's going to be very difficult to go back to the medieval setting, slow combat, and bloated world design of the Dark Souls games.

Top Bottom