• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer October cover - Dark Souls III

Buburibon

Looks like a gaming sweatshop. My god that lighting would be the end of me.

Talk about deadly, oppressive environments in Souls games. Based on my experience working in Japan, I'd say these guys might have worked through the summer without (or with insufficient) A/C.

I feel compelled to buy multiple copies of their games to show support for those guys and gals.

Troy

Banned
I just watched a convention show floor video, which I usually don't do because of all the background noise. I'm going to retract that combat complaint. Looks great. Still don't like the setting, though.

I'm with you on the setting. Bloodborne's was far more to my liking. But I enjoyed Demon's Souls varied settings more than any of the other games. Especially the prison.

KodaRuss

Really pumped for this, Bloodborne was just amazing. While not 100% in on going back to the Medieval setting after experiencing BB, I will still be all over it.

I haven't watched a lot of the media on this one so far but good to hear that they are adding some of the speed of the BB.

Have they stated how they will handle Estus/health regen?

I just watched a convention show floor video, which I usually don't do because of all the background noise. I'm going to retract that combat complaint. Looks great. Still don't like the setting, though.

That's the great thing about Dark Souls. The final game has a bunch of VERY unique settings in the game. Bloodborne didn't achieve that.

Scrawnton

The way they shot that photo makes it look like a Western studio, not a Japanese one. This is stil a Japanese developed series, yes?

Sanctuary

Return from DS2 or are you saying BB wasn't amazing?

Bloodborne is like the fast food version of a Souls game. Best thing about it was the combat, but that alone can only carry a game so far.

Opinions and all.

It's okay. Give it until Feb 2016 and then the GAF hivemind will do a 180 just like it did with Dark Souls 2. First the game was super amazing, the best in the series to the less discerning, still high off the new Souls smell.

Also, what's up with the "slow combat" comments? Are you confusing the quick dodges and faster enemies for faster player combat? Because it's just as slow as any Souls game otherwise. Plus, the regain mechanic seems to promote a more aggressive playstyle, but it's almost never worth capitalizing on in most situations compared to playing more defensively. When you're playing more defensively in Bloodborne, it takes just as long, if not longer to actually kill enemies than in any of the previous games.

Bloodborne is like the fast food version of a Souls game. Best thing about it was the combat, but that alone can only carry a game so far.

Idk. I am a huge Lovecraft / Retro Sci-fi fan. The more abstract and strange and weird it got as I gained more and more insight in the world the more I was tickled. I love the unknown and the unknowable. It made me feel unsettled, and from what I've seen of DeS and DS this almost feels more survival horror-y.

So for me it is very special. The combat is satisfying, but the story and the atomosphere and enemy design just hit me in the right place.

I think the "fast food" version is a little strange to say, maybe it just didn't speak to you. Or maybe you don't like how the world is drawn out, idk.

Idk. I am a huge Lovecraft / Retro Sci-fi fan. The more abstract and strange and weird it got as I gained more and more insight in the world the more I was tickled. I love the unknown and the unknowable. It made me feel unsettled, and from what I've seen of DeS and DS this almost feels more survival horror-y.

So for me it is very special. The combat is satisfying, but the story and the atomosphere and enemy design just hit me in the right place.

I think the "fast food" version is a little strange to say, maybe it just didn't speak to you. Or maybe you don't like how the world is drawn out, idk.

"muh rpg elements"

Sanctuary

First and second playthroughs were great. It just doesn't have any replay value at all beyond 2-3 (since that's about all the build variety in the game) times, and is very short. The Chalice Dungeons are the supposed "longevity" of the game, but they are boring as shit aside from the bosses. The bosses didn't really make up for the repetitive slog that the dungeons were however. Plus, a juxtaposition of them beside the main world is just emphasizes how awful they are, and they feel like they belong to an entirely different game.

Hopefully the DLC is sizeable and isn't more dungeon nonsense.

"muh rpg elements"

Yeah, because being able to use more than just melee or melee would have been great. So would having more than just three weapons that were clearly superior to the rest. Arcane is such an afterthought too that it may as well not even be in the game at all. The trinkets are mostly trash other than 1-2, and only for PvP (LOL) aside from a few exploitable bosses.

Top Bottom