• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Mechanics you would like to see more often

KàIRóS

Unique item drops for every enemy

One of the coolest aspects of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is the tactical soul system, every enemy in the game can drop their "soul" which are essentially equippable abilities, there are 100+ enemies in the game and even the most basic one gives you an ability completely unique to that enemy that no other enemy can give, this system maximizes their potential as enemies, they are no longer just obstacles the enemy has to overcome, they become very rewarding obstacles that instead of being tedious to kill become a joy to kill just to find out what new ability you'll get, this system completely changes the game's progression, combat, exploration and even has a narrative purpose.

J2OuHTW.png
TYvx2p8.jpg
7zHyl44.jpg

Guilty_AI

Games designed with the minimal amount of game over screens. Preferably either no game over screens or game over only upon death.

Prone from TLOU2. Totally opens up the gameplay
Thats quite a common mechanic already tho. Metal gear and tons of military shooters have had it for a long time.

Its kinda situational honestly. Games that don't have it usually don't need it in the first place.

Fahdis

Tekken 4 was headed into the right direction with elevation and cool places to fight. Devs should have put in some sort of elevation moveset as well. Fighting on infinite flat services that blow up with the mass of 5 nuclear explosions doesn't make sense (yes I am aware these were also in Tekken 4). Neither do the invisible walls that end at the knees.

Look at the picture below! The beauty and authenticity of the Mishima Tower. Now we have some Anime Elevator taking us up to the Tower with a Huge ass Robot named Nancy who looks like a Chicken throwing Missiles at us (yes I know I am exaggerating).

i8SLznb.jpg

Look at this for the urgency of the small space so you were careful with your spacing and felt like a badass fighting.

Makc7tW.png

Weight aggregation was fine too. They made fighters seem more realistic outside of the Bear and Combot with the inclusion of Vale Tudo, Street Boxing and Gojuryu Karate.

Now we have an Emo Devil, A Mute Angel, Narcoleptic Vampire, Female Blade, A Weeb, A Middle Aged Ghost Woman with a Tiger Spawn, Cyborg Sex Doll, A Kangaroo, A Hybrid Lizard/Dinosaur (the Bears I will accept), A Blonde 13 year old Lolly who kicks OG Capoeira fighters in the Nuts and a Rich Parisian who suddenly remembered she spoke French.

Tekken is great. But it had the chance to be the best of all time. Tekken 4 also had the best story sets of all the games. Fuck Bamco for killing of Heihachi as well.

Last edited:

Beechos

Destructible environts/physics easily. After replaying some xbox 360 bc games its crazy alot of the physics and destructable environments are so much better than most ps4/xbox one/ps5/series games.

Bakkus

Several different regular battle themes in turn based RPGs like the Mother series, Being able to go back and talk to most of the characters you've met after the game is over like in Mother 2/Earthbound.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, where the fuck is Nemesis system.

The collective gaming media had us convinced we'll be seeing it a lot more half a decade ago ..

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Tekken 4 was headed into the right direction with elevation and cool places to fight. Devs should have put in some sort of elevation moveset as well. Fighting on infinite flat services that blow up with the mass of 5 nuclear explosions doesn't make sense (yes I am aware these were also in Tekken 4). Neither do the invisible walls that end at the knees.

Look at the picture below! The beauty and authenticity of the Mishima Tower. Now we have some Anime Elevator taking us up to the Tower with a Huge ass Robot named Nancy who looks like a Chicken throwing Missiles at us (yes I know I am exaggerating).

i8SLznb.jpg

Look at this for the urgency of the small space so you were careful with your spacing and felt like a badass fighting.

Makc7tW.png

Weight aggregation was fine too. They made fighters seem more realistic outside of the Bear and Combot with the inclusion of Vale Tudo, Street Boxing and Gojuryu Karate.

Now we have an Emo Devil, A Mute Angel, Narcoleptic Vampire, Female Blade, A Weeb, A Middle Aged Ghost Woman with a Tiger Spawn, Cyborg Sex Doll, A Kangaroo, A Hybrid Lizard/Dinosaur (the Bears I will accept), A Blonde 13 year old Lolly who kicks OG Capoeira fighters in the Nuts and a Rich Parisian who suddenly remembered she spoke French.

Tekken is great. But it had the chance to be the best of all time. Tekken 4 also had the best story sets of all the games. Fuck Bamco for killing of Heihachi as well.

Im gonna make a thread about the amazing tekken 4.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Enemies can follow you through doors/entranceways.

Best way to get away from monsters is head to a door leading to another section of the game. Or run into or out of a cave. Same thing. The game's AI logic doesn't have enemies track you down. They seem limited to to their floor or section of the game.

EDMIX

Prone from TLOU2. Totally opens up the gameplay

I counter Prone and say take another page from the MGS playbook and let us move bodies lol

That should be a default for all stealth type games imho. If remaining undetected is the goal, I'd argue leaving no trace of you killing people is part of that goal.

Nemesis system.

put it in Destiny

Beat me to it lol

I'd take it a set further and say add it into the gang system that was in GTA SA. Gangs have rivals, some times those rivals could be by member to member, as in a individual member can have a beef with some other person that happens to be in a gang etc. It can get pretty fucking crazy and some Nemesis system would actually be brilliant.

Make it in the 90's and have gang members crossing out other members names they've killed and have the little brother of someone you killed come back to try to kill you lol

Make it in current times and simply have someone @ing you on some fake social media thing like how GTA had the weird phone and internet thing going on and have that rely into actual revenged plots against you. I think the system would be amazing as this really is how a lot of that even goes on currently with gang warfare

IllIcyFruitbat-max-1mb.gif

Gp1

Destructible environts/physics easily. After replaying some xbox 360 bc games its crazy alot of the physics and destructable environments are so much better than most ps4/xbox one/ps5/series games.

I believe that the environment destruction/physics that we used to have on the PS360 gen and "lost" on the PS4-1 gen was something related to hardware choices.
Both PS3 and 360 had CPUs way stronger than their PC counterparts at launch. At the same time the PS4 CPU(and on a smaller scale the PS5) was equivalent at launch of a mid level PC CPU of 2-3 years earlier.

Let's see when the developers abandon the "crossgen", how the PS5/Series will behave.

qiqiqiiq

Combat system similar to For Honor, I always thought that a Star Wars game with that kind of combat could be good.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Internet radio integration for games where it make sense. Games like Forza Horizon or GTA.

Soundtrack in FH5 is bad and there’s not enough songs.

I’m playing a little gem called Motor Town: Behind The Wheel and it’s so nice to just tune in to internet radio and drive.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Double agent undercover/alliance system. I've not seen this implemented in the way that is most represents thrle ambition of this mechanic, but in the good Fallout's (1, 2, New Vegas), Deus Ex, Thief 3, The Occupation and Splinter Cell Double Agent, there are these bits where the player is asked to maintain cover while infiltrating a faction and keeping up appearances, but also do the bidding of said faction.

Giving difficult and dynamic situations where you need te role play being apart of said faction, but also trying to steal information or sabotage the faction (or not if you choose.

I've always admired the potential of this mechanic and complex system, but never seen/played a satisfactorily implemented of this concept, but would love to see dev's try it again.

Last edited:

Boneless

Progression that affects the looks of your character.

Like growing horns in fable, or becoming a giant in Ragnarok.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nemesis/bounty system as listed above

Ai vs Ai battles where you can sit and watch or help choose the victor (Horizon Dawn FW did this a bit, the original Halo did it too, always fun)

Gojiira

Dragging/Carrying/Throwing/Dumping/Hiding bodies should be mandatory in every game with a stealth system.
While not dead I wish more games would adopt Monster Hunters method of crafting gear, carve a creature and make unique weapons/armour from it, so rewarding and it could be iterated on and made into a really deep system.
Disguises when wearing enemy uniforms as well.

I’d love less HUD in games. Thought Dead Space was going to revolutionize how developers moved forward but it never really happened.
This x a million!!

Seriously its crazy how players and I assume devs don't realise much a HUD can distract from the gameplay.

I turned the HUD off to beat Sindrin on give me god of war difficulty and it was like playing in slow motion. Suddenly I saw every move and could react accordingly. It was crazy how just checking the corner of the screen for health or a runic cooldown could get you killed.

God of war HUD is fairly minimal as well some other games are way worse

Games with more AI companions.

I really liked building up a bigger squad in freedom fighters back in the ps2 days. Really liked fighting along side the rebels in in act 1 and 2 in mgs4 as well.

Most games you're a one man army which is cool. But AI companions bring life and scale to the world your in.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spider-Man ps4 to me it’s mechanics were dealt with, in a sense vulnerable to the city and the magnitude of the environment everything.

Top Bottom