• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game music hall of shame: what’s your most HATED video game song?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
First of all...

I love the Japanese people, I respect them, I admire them, one day I will go to Japan to meet, I love their culture and I love all their history... But something I hate is the generic Jpop music of girls with screaming voices.

In the examples, I hate when they start playing that loud music, they yell with verses in the anime.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Oh Jesus that is atrocious. Never played that game but I remember it had a reputation for a shitty soundtrack. While playing Wooly World and Crafted World I was thinking “was it even worse than this shit?”, guess it was!

Thank you Nintendo for destroying one of the greatest games of all time, Yoshi Island on the SNES

Fbh

fuck my life fml GIF

When you forgot the deadline for the project so you just record your 4 years old daughter playing on her Fisher price keyboard and call it a day

Madflavor

There doesn't exist a video game soundtrack that triggers the fuck outta me like this one:

Nosediving Your Story, The National Anthem.

Final Fantasy X's Wandering (also called Wandering Flame) HD Remastered version completely ruins the original song.

Some of the FFX HD Remastered versions are...not good. I can see what they were trying to do, but the mystique of the song is just ruined from the original versions. I used to be able to listen to this song when chilling on my deck of my old house and just vibe. I can't vibe with this version and it just ruins the overall effect of the song for me.

This isn't the only song that I think was really ruined in the Remastered OST. Really a shame, because how good the original soundtrack was; I don't think a Remastered version was necessary.

You almost gave me a heart attack the second I saw your post, until I read the rest of it. I agree that the Remastered Soundtrack is super hit or miss. Wandering Flame is one of the best soundtracks in all FF, and yea the remastered version doesn't work. There is a slower darker version someone made online that I think is quite good:

Tommi84

The Witness and this MF right here

I know it's not the song written for this game, but man, I hated this part! Had to resort to a glitch to have it completed

Heimdall_Xtreme

I know it's not the song written for this game, but man, I hated this part! Had to resort to a glitch to have it completed

I like classic music.

But you are not alone... I hate this son a little bit too.

And another song that Warner bros use a lot in their cartoons.

Im gonna found it.

Last edited:

Bakkus

I like classic music.

But you are not alone... I hate this son a little bit too.

And another song that Warner bros use a lot in their cartoons.

Im gonna found it.
Try being Norwegian, you have this song ingrained from childhood. It's like the most famous thing ever from here. Oh this song too by the same composer which I like more:

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
DKC Tropical Freeze needs an honorable mention for nerfing the overworld theme with nose trumpets.

ShadowNate

I can somewhat relate to hate The Witness' use of Mountain King. I thought it was funny/clever on my first -ahem- six to ten attempts, but had to mute that shit after that cause it became unbearable. (I did beat it all by myself though :D !)

But as for original game music this probably comes to mind first.

What were they thinking?
Myst IV's soundtrack in general is a big step down from *all* other Myst titles. The game is not that good either.

TransTrender

Gold Member

cdWhO1B.gif

Classic of garbage tunes from out of space, out of time.

However! Attention Everyone!
I'm today years old when I realized this was a FromSoftware, agetec, title!

This makes the song listenable.

Also I found remember my real post now:

Final Fantasy X's Wandering (also called Wandering Flame) HD Remastered version completely ruins the original song.

Some of the FFX HD Remastered versions are...not good. I can see what they were trying to do, but the mystique of the song is just ruined from the original versions. I used to be able to listen to this song when chilling on my deck of my old house and just vibe. I can't vibe with this version and it just ruins the overall effect of the song for me.

This isn't the only song that I think was really ruined in the Remastered OST. Really a shame, because how good the original soundtrack was; I don't think a Remastered version was necessary.

This is literally me.
I got triggered hard when I thought someone was talking trash on Wandering Flame, but then I saw this \/ other post and listened to it...wow absolutely butchering that song. I can't believe I've never heard that version before, but I guess someone was looking out for me since I was spared ever hearing this.

There doesn't exist a video game soundtrack that triggers the fuck outta me like this one:

Nosediving Your Story, The National Anthem.

You almost gave me a heart attack the second I saw your post, until I read the rest of it. I agree that the Remastered Soundtrack is super hit or miss. Wandering Flame is one of the best soundtracks in all FF, and yea the remastered version doesn't work. There is a slower darker version someone made online that I think is quite good:

My wife is like, 'Oh, did you find the meditation app?' and I'm like, trying to play it off as cool, 'Ah, nah, it's this really cool song called Wandering Flame, from a game, from like 20 years ago'

DKC Tropical Freeze needs an honorable mention for nerfing the overworld theme with nose trumpets.
Do you have a clip for an example of this? Loved TF but I don't remember this triggering me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

as a rule of thumb, if it's video game music and it has lyrics... it probably sucks.

latest one to offend me:

daughter is currently obsessed with little mermaid; found this one day on youtube.

box-hide.gif

I'm alone at home, I listen it at a minimum volume and I had an open mind... even so, I was very embarrassed to listen to it

too cringe.

Dragon Quest 11 soundtrack. No the orchestral version sucks too.
You get ONE SONG for the entire map. There's almost no variety.
Dropped the game on PS4 because of it.

A few years later I decided to try it again on PC with a bunch of mods and it was actually a pretty good game.
Music is a big part of a JRPG as I'm sure you'll agree.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Dragon Quest 11 soundtrack. No the orchestral version sucks too.
You get ONE SONG for the entire map. There's almost no variety.
Dropped the game on PS4 because of it.

A few years later I decided to try it again on PC with a bunch of mods and it was actually a pretty good game.
Music is a big part of a JRPG as I'm sure you'll agree.

Damn those blaring high-pitched MIDI horns grate on my ears so bad. Yeah even the orchestral soundtrack is pretty mediocre, but those synthesized instruments sound so offensively terrible. Even if the composition were a masterpiece it would still sound like shit.

Street Fighter 4 theme, total garbage!!!! Whoever in production thought it would be cool to add a lame contemporary hip hop/ elevator music theme with shitty n'sync vocals over one of the most iconic fighting franchises should be tarred and feathered.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can't think of one from a game I actually played, but this was fucking awful.

Prat

It's not "the games song", but the fckn music they play at the children's hideout in Final Fantasy 7 Remake... that shit on loop should be illegal.

Fake

Horizon Zero Dawn OST is pretty much nonexistent. Tried many times, but nothing. In fact, 99% of the time I played on mute.

Filben

"We Speak Chinese" in Rocket League when you score a goal. It's the same goddamn 10seconds of the song and it's fucking annoying. Such a crap song.

squarealex

as a rule of thumb, if it's video game music and it has lyrics... it probably sucks.

latest one to offend me:

daughter is currently obsessed with little mermaid; found this one day on youtube.

This is exactly THIS moment when I dropped KH2, never replaying to finish

Last edited:
Top Bottom